Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Guys, I have the Sonic Mania

I do too. I got it from banging an Amy Rose cosplayer at a Con. Flares up every so often but it goes away fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Rorac posted:

Kind of repeating the video commentators on Sonic Mania, but that is absolutely, extremely my poo poo. Every 2d sonic game after S3&K has just felt wrong physically/mechanically. The friction on speeding up/slowing down was off, the jumping never felt quite right, the degree of speed gained from spin dashing, Sonic 1-3 had IMO basically ideal platforming controls for me where the movement was exactly slippery enough for the speeds you could get, and every game since then has missed the mark some way or another. If the physics actually are Genesis Sonic physics, then gently caress. This is the game I've been waiting 20 goddamn years for.

Hilariously, I've told a few friends about the less than stellar sonic games over the past decade or so, and said that if Sega just made a proper HD Sonic 1-3 without loving with the physics or the core mechanics, they have people sucking dick to get their hands on it. Based on what I've heard, I feel very vindicated.

Sonic 3's controls are tight as hell. As a homeschooled kid with not many games I mastered it.

I stopped playing Sonkc or really any games for years. A friend was over at my house and noticed my Sega Genesis in the closet and asked to borrow it. I couldn't find my Sonic 3 cart so he was stuck with just Sonic and Knuckles. A couple weeks later I swung by his house late one night and fucker was stuck on act 1 of Flying Battery Zone. I hadn't even touched the game for years but asked if I could give it a whirl. For old times sake.

Less than an hour later I was at the Death Egg Zone with like 20 lives and most of the emeralds without dying once.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is part of my muscle memory and if you put a controller in my hand and played the music ( for timing) I could probably visualize it in my head well enough to do the button presses to beat it. Part of that was youthful isolation with few games, but even more, that game is just so tight and well built. It's my favorite game ever. The satisfaction of the twitch response and fast gaming still gets to me.

Also it's weird to see critics who are bad at Sonic talking poo poo about speed and trying to
Play up that it's REALLY precise platforming with bursts of speed. Mother fucker, if you are playing Sonic RIGHT then you're going fast WHILE doing precise platforming. I realize that's hard at first, but 2D Sonic is from an era where there were just less games and replay ability was more
Important, especially when save states were a new fancy feature. Sonic has more in common in ways with Dark Souls and the reliance on trial and error and memorization to become a blue idiot wind deity than with Mario.

I loving love Sonic 3.

Sonic CD too. Really all the classics.

Also Sonic Adventure is piss garbage but Sonic Adventure 2 is hella respectable. Sonic Adventure doesn't have anything on City Escape or White Jungle.

Sonic Colors good. Generations good. My last ex had a Wii U and Lost Worlds and I kept trying to get into it but there's something inherently anti-Sonic about it I can't quite
Put by finger on but that just kept repelling me from it. I can't say it's a bad game, but I didn't think it was a good SONIC game.

But I'ma bust a nut over Sonic Mania. poo poo so dank.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Augus posted:

I honestly can't get into it, the JP soundtrack just seems better in every way.

I've been replaying it on my phone and switching between soundtracks. I like the JP one maybe a little better but they're both really excellent. Toot Toot Sanic Warrior is a better intro but Sonic boom is a better end movie song. Tidal Tempest present is amazing in both but I think the US one has a slight advantage. But Palmtree Panic is JP all the way.

Nice thing about playing Sonic CD nowadays is you don't have to limit yourself and can enjoy the excellent music in both versions and switch between them at will.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I can't imagine any Sonic game more annoying than an exploration based Sonic game. CD nails it by having the exploration be an optional aspect while also still being optimized for speed play through. Even thinking about a Sonjc Metroidvania makes me PHYSICALLY ILL

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The two messages being "That which is missing" and "Not everything is black and ____" makes me feel pretty confident they're setting up to announce they got Jaleel White back to voice Sonic.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

All voice changes are irrelevant as long as we get to keep Pollack as Eggman. Dude clearly loves playing the role and he's even better than Baldry.

Though info still have a sort spot from childhood for Cummings "Always about to cum" rmEobotnik voice.

Pollack is the best thing about the franchise in the last 10 years. His Eggman is the kind of joyously batty super villain you can believe built a superstructure to cover up a mind control Ray. Dude is comitt d as gently caress as has as much fun being Eggman as Eggman has fun being insane.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've always been kinda hard on SA2 and started replaying it recently and felt like I'd been kinda unfair. In fact it was pretty amazing and I really started to regret ragging on it in the past.

Then I finished City Escape and remembered the rest of the game was there and went back to realizing it's pretty lovely most of the time. Sonic and Shadow levels are (mostly) fun though nothing tops city escape, but the Knuckles and Tails poo poo is just hot garbage and makes up the majority of the game and I was only barely able to bring myself to keep at it just hoping the next stage would be fast again.

City Escape is fantastic though. Amazing opening level. Almost false advertising

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Here ya go Peppep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0apF7V9l-VM

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWSIhf8q9Ao

This is interesting and makes me wonder if the split between 16 bit Sonic speeds is why some people (I assume maybe Europeans?) sometimes try to downplay how essential the sense of speed is vs precision platforming, while some (like me) still value the essential uncontrollable sense of speed. Thoughts?

Unrelated, but this thread has caused me to fully embrace being a Sonic fan, warts of the franchise and all and stop being afraid, because at least in this thread we can all love Sonic without worrying some dick cheese is gonna associate us with bad recolors and sexual deviancy. I just love that blue mother fucker because he represents freedom and not giving a gently caress and a sort of positive anti-authoritarianism, but also because in vehicles and rides and life I love that sense of speed as freedom and yeah. I should write a manifesto..

What I'm trying to say is every time I do speed or coke, there's a little bit of Sonic behind those decisions.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That's disgusting.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

For me Sonic is like a childhood best friend I've never fully fallen out of touch with who I worry about. He ends up hanging with a bad crowd, gets some weird ideas, has some times where I don't want to abandon him but can't pretend I'm down with the horrible self destructive things he's doing with his life, but I'll always be there because we've been tight since forever, and I just want the best for him and I'm really glad it seems like, a few stumbles aside, he hasn't totally shaken his destructive habits but I'm glad to see he's doing better and look forward to the future.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Ian Flynn is the only person who should be allowed to write Sonic. It's a crime on the part of Sonic Team that he isn't their hear writer and they got the Happy Tree Friends dudes who don't even care about the franchise instead. Ian Flynn is the Carl Banks of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Phenomenal.

Nope, it turns out the entire game is just 10 hours of Studiopolis. It's the longest Sonic stage ever.

Yeah but with that music it would still be an above average contemporary sonic game.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

azurite posted:

I don't wanna be that guy, but you might want to :nws: that.

We're Sonic fans on the Internet. We're the definition of "seen some poo poo".

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sailor Dave posted:

Plus Sega seems to be absolutely against anything that could hint at a background/past for Sonic. He just exists, and that's all. Probably for the best, tbh. The comics tried to do weird past poo poo like that and it doesn't turn out well.

I like the idea that Sonkc just exists. His powers don't have an origin story, he's just fast because he's just that way. He doesn't have a traumatic backstory driving him, that's just how he is. He's basically a free roaming wind deity/force of nature/idiot god and that's cool and he wouldn't care if it wasn't cool cause Aonic is merely wholly himself and comfortable with who he is.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sonic only saves animals from robots so he can eat them.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Plz help me turn into Eggman https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4111034

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Frankston posted:

It's dick pics, isn't it

Not at such a low price point. Still working out the reward tier. I really love my hair. I ain't shaving it for cheap. Dick pics would be like...Coconuts tier.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've always liked that Eggman is a feminist. Like he's this woke dude whose nihilism got the better of him and he decided if humans won't be civilized and egalitarian then he'd just make a world of robots who'd be egalitarian. They don't have to pay him, just look like him.

Also, Sonic is the Merciry/Hermes of the New Aeon.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The CD AmMV is the best depiction of Sonic (the anime kinda sucks deal with it) because it perfectly nailed that he's a cute little fella omg but also a little badass. That's Sonic to me. A cute little wind deity whose also a hard nosed anti-authoritarian badass.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That new GHZ just seems dull to me and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I'm tired of Green Hill Zone but it just seems kind of sparse and bland compared to how lush and vibrant the generations version was. Even compared to Mania.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I had a Sonic OC named Drinky the Hedgehog who was Sonic's Third cousin who worked in Robotropolis as a data clerk for Robotnik to pay child support and generally was just a grumpy alcoholic low level rando who got lovely because his idiot cousin and hippie friends who lived off the grid in Knothole would keep doing terrorist attacks on the city and made life hell.

So if character selection options include a cigarette and bleary eyes....

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

a.lo posted:

SONIC: hurt me

SONICS GIRLFRIEND: wtf why?

S: just do it

*Sonic’s girlfriend punches him, wedding rings explode of him

S: will u marry me?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Speaking of long and murderously annoying, how about that Metallic Madness Zone 2?

Look at this loving nightmare, and despair: http://info.sonicretro.org/images/b/b4/SCD_map_R82C.png

UUGGGGH I'm in there on my phone replay of Sonic CD and it's loving miserable. Not as bad as the Metropolis Sone Experience but still a goddamn obnoxious pain of a stage with a lame lovely boss. But the payoff is good cause then you get to see the cool ending anime.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hydrocity Zone Act 2’s music is the dopest poo poo ever.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Gonna go ahead and drop this here too in case I haven't before.
https://soundcloud.com/joeconnormusic/escape-from-the-city-from

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Doctor Eggman
Give me the news
I've got a bad case
Of Sonjc Mania

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Overbite posted:

I like sonic but I'm not a big enough dork to read the comics. Sonic doesn't need a story.

I read it as a kid and came back to it last month because I kept hearing that it was good now, and the scans of the art from Megadrive convinced me. It's a lot of fun. Ian Flynn works well with the characters and understands that Sonic should been adventure story. He manages to have some good real sincere moments and fun story arcs. It's genuinely enjoyable, and worth your time just to read the way he writes Eggman.

And Thunderbolt is a fantastic character.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I was dealing a. Inch of Dark Ages bad Sonic comics yesterday and, as much as Ken Penders' Knuckles poo poo is bad and stupid, people seem to be giving him all the blame and forgetting that Karl Bollers was responsible for most of the really bad Sonjc stories. He's less into the recolors but his poo poo is straight up dumbtown as much as Ken's.

Also the art. Sonic was designed to be easy for children to draw, so why is it so hard for professional artists to get it right?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It's so easy to blame Penders because of the lawsuit bullshit but really, almost everyone working on the comic during that period shares responsibility for the mess. Ron Lim and Karl Bollers especially seem to manage to squeak under the radar because of Penders but holy poo poo does their stuff suck rear end too.

Dawn Best's art is decent though. There's another artists who pops up every once in a while who's pretty decent too, but they are the exceptions.

Also, Tommy the loving Turtle. Jesus Christ what a miserable lame character.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone make a video like Cybershell did on the British Sonic comic? It looks equally as ridiculous as the American one and I want to know more.

The British comic is better, because even though it gets weird, just is weird if not weird or than the Archie stuff, it never takes itself all that seriously. It always realizes how weird it is, and the tone isn't nearly as incorrect for the franchise.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I read most of the U.K. Comics a few years ago and it can be hit or miss at times but I don't think it's lies ever got as bad as Archie's. It got pretty surreal at times but poo poo like Tails being tempted to go Lee Harvey Oswald on Robotnik is awesome, weird and interesting. It's rarely boring, unlike Archie, which had a short phase where they decided since the characters were teenagers they should go to school. That poo poo was amazingly bad.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

YeahSpaz is also great but after a while he basically just gets relegated to cover art duty.

Art Mawhiney was solid for years and never got around to flat out sucking, but he seems to have a harder time drawing a good Sonic after the Adventure redesigns hit, and his version of Eggman just isn't very good.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sonic Forces seems to be inspired by SatAM and Deviantart.

That's Sonic.

Sonic should be Sonic.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I hope the Sonic 3 level is Carnival Nights. I want to see what kind of gimmicks Taxy comes up with for that.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

the boss of the first act is the barrel, transforming into a death machine

You joke, but Mr. Whitehead would absolutely include some kind of terrible barrel. Even if it's not in Carnival Nights, I fully expect a terrible barrel cameo somewhere in Mania.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm very jealous of all the fine people getting to play those demos of these fine new games featuring my boy, Mr. The Hedgehog.

It has convinced me to go ahead and just get a used tv and PlayStation or switch off Craigslist though, first console since the GameCube.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sonic is volcel

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

SwissCM posted:

This thread is loving terrible.

You're just jealous because you lack self control. If you focused your energies on going fast instead of expending your essence you'd be as cool and blue as the planet that's as cool and blue as Sonic Hedgehog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It's weird that Sonic is 15 because he's never written like that except at one brief stint in the comics where the freedom fighters had to go to high school and that was terrible.

He's always struck me more 22-25 which makes it even weirder he hangs around with a child.