Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

quote:

Sonic was never good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1eweeRRZ9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I saw the title and I thought it was just clickbait and maybe they were quoted out of context, but that dude sounds so sincere. He genuinely feels like there is no such thing as a good Sonic game. That's crazy to me. Sonic 3 is awesome. Sonic Adventure 2 is great. CD and Rush are both great. And of course there exists a person who is a Sonic fan that thinks all the games I listed are awful, but that doesn't matter. It's just the word "never" that throws me. And you can only say that kind of thing about Sonic because it's so easy to poo poo on him.

Like imagine if they'd said Mega Man was never good in the wake of Mighty No. 9.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
City Escape

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Re: Sonic Rush I liked that game quite a bit. I remember having sweaty palms trying to do the last special stage to get the final Chaos Emerald. The boost mechanic was fun to me. There were some stages with bad level design, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. What I remember not liking most was just the bottomless pits. One thing I quite enjoy about modern Sonic games now that they all have the boost mechanic is that they have something to warn you when bottomless pits are ahead. My reaction time is good, but drat.

MikeJF posted:

One of the things that was proposed for the remake of CD was a Secret Ending final boss after you got all the Time Stones that apparently would've involved fighting back and forth in time. Sega didn't approve it since it was the first remake and they hadn't proven themselves yet. You can unlock the concept art of it (and their planned extra desert level) though.

That sounds like a really cool concept, but I have no idea how he would've implemented it with the little time travel signposts.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm really not that fussed about Sonic having a big cast. Not all of them need to be playable in each go around. Really though, they should always be on deck as skins. Like there's no real reason to not have Shadow and Blaze as Sonic skins for the people that like them. I like having Shadow around as the rival since Knuckles can't go back to that role since Sonic Adventure 2. I like Amy. I only really hate Charmy. Even Rouge and Cream can exist in the land of cutscenes and filling the background. They can also be Knuckles and Tails skins if you're a person that enjoys them. The idea that Sonic's cast existing is what made the games poor and that Sonic games can only be good if they feature Sonic and Tails/Knuckles/Amy nobody else is bogus.

Amppelix posted:

I'm playing Sonic Adventure again. I still really enjoy the perspective switching storytelling it has. Especially when it leads to hilarious moments like the part where Gamma captures Froggy. In Big's story, the frog gets snatched right out of his hands. In Gamma's version? Big isn't even there. You just find the frog hanging around. So, apparently Big was so un-noteworthy that Gamma didn't even notice him while snatching it out of his hands :allears:

Stuff like that and how every scene containing multiple characters has a unique version with slightly different lines and linereads for each character just for the heck of it is still really endearing.

My favorite is in Tails' storylines since they are so "Me too!" which totally fits his character. "Well if it isn't Sonic...and Tails!" I'm sorry nobody cared about you in the first go of things, lil buddy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Augus posted:

This is a very cool and pretty take on Sonic CD's intro

This is some really nice art. Is there more?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Xad posted:

Shadow only has 4 levels in Sonic Adventure 2 and this is a Terrible Travesty.

This is the confusing thing to me. He's the new character they want to get over and he only has 4 levels? Why? Increase the number of Shadow levels, decrease the number of either Rouge or Eggman, and we're good. SA2 is great :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Granted I only had the Wii version, my problem with the Werehog was more about the quantity than the quality. If they could tweak the gameplay, I still think it could be a fun Knuckles thing. Of course, ultimately, I don't know why they don't just make everyone do action stages. That was my frustration with SA1 and SA2. Sonic has the best stages. Make everyone do that! And of course, the characters most people like after Sonic are Tails and Gamma. Because they have action stages with lil twists. And nobody likes Big or Rouge because they're so far from Sonic that it's maddening.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm not really a collectors edition kind of guy, but I'm pretty sure that I'd strangle every last one of you lovely chums if it got me one of these https://twitter.com/videogamercom/status/775666466154745856

Well there goes my wallet. May it rest in peace.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember being really excited when Sonic X got announced in Japan and even downloading a lovely RealPlayer or Quicktime version of the undubbed pilot. I remember the scene with Sonic racing that car was really awesome. But once I found out that the main character was some dumb human kid I checked out. I always hated hated hated the surrogate audience member character in these shows. Nobody gives a poo poo about the human kids in Transformers, and nobody gives a poo poo about the kid in Sonic X.

Years later in community college, I joined the film club and we were pitching ideas for a movie and someone pitched a movie where Sonic and pals come to the real world and had human forms. I left after that first session and no movie was made that year.

I just want to second the amount of angry childhood stomping I did when I realized the show was about Chris Thorndyke instead of about Sonic the drat Hedgehog. I just wanted to see him fight badniks and Egg Robos and Shadow and Sonic Heroes with Tails and Knuckles or whatever poo poo. Sonic stuff. Not playing around with a dumb kid.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Sonic can interact with humans. Eggman exists. They just have to match his level of cartoon. Regular people are so jarring that they ruin everything around them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Onmi posted:

From the latest Sonic comic.

Phenomenal.

Stairmaster posted:

how come we haven't seen any of the other levels in the promo material

they did make other levels right....

Nope, it turns out the entire game is just 10 hours of Studiopolis. It's the longest Sonic stage ever.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have a full timeline for Sonic and I am not ashamed of that in the slightest.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope everyone on the thread picked up Sonic Megadrive Next Level today

:allears:

I saw previews on Facebook and I am in love. This is amazing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Easily top 5 best Twitter accounts today.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Knuckles snatching the gun away changed my life.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Is the cartoon always this good? Because if it is, I'm in.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Discendo Vox posted:

Sonic's middle name is Maurice. :colbert:

I will fight you.

Discendo Vox posted:

Frank Miller Batman (who is much larger than the other Batmans and can't do anything but smash things).

Hm. I remember loving the original Lego Batman. Things have clearly changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Overbite posted:

I was playing adventure 2 earlier and that game is trash, everything about it is trash. The movement, camera, music, voice acting, level design, game design, all of it is bad and dumb.

You're wrong and I think you should feel bad. Forever.