Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
look, it takes a lot of time to come up with gems like "none of this is good, Vector, that's why it's called war"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
also, like, there's no reason they couldn't just put the Master System version of games like Sonic 1/2/Chaos that are largely identical on this kind of thing instead of the constrained GG one :shrug:

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't care if they're a stupid waste of money unplayable replica of a bad console with a terrible selection of games, they're really cute and theres 4 colours!

i think they'd be fun as a cute little keychain novelty thing at like half the price

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mega Drive is such a cooler name than Genesis. Why did they change it for America?

they saw the future and knew that while superior, Mega Drive wouldn't fit the lyrics to Juicy

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Am I the only one that vastly prefers SA1 to 2? Even at the time it came out, I felt like something was missing and not just the hub worlds.

I don't really care one way or the other about the hub worlds, but the emerald hunting was a lot better in SA1, the shooting was faster, and Amy's stages were fine. Big is Big, but the fishing stages aren't much worse than how bad the SA2 emerald stages can get with their busted radar. There's a lot to prefer in SA1 over the sequel.

But then on the other hand, there's Knuckles stage themes in SA2's favour

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

how dare you label sonic and the black knight as "not worth mentioning"

it's a shame you can't stick the Wii disc in a CD player and just treat it as a good album like Sonic R

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I was playing some Mania yesterday and i think that game's Lava Reef Act 2 might be my favorite stage in the series from an aesthetic perspective. the cooler colour palette combined with the music is so good

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
remembering that Lost World just ended on a stripped down version of the Colours final boss lmao

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
on a Sunday
riding my bike~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUENLoRGvvs

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Thankful to live on the planet as cool and blue as Sonic

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Heroes is unsalvageable

Putting the game aside and just listening to the Vocal Traxx™ salvages it

Skeletome posted:

I think heroes could have been salvageable, when you get into a groove switching between characters it almost becomes fun

I think the team concept could've been a fun modernisation of the classic series idea of the characters having different abilities that open up different routes through the stages if it had been in a better game

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Forces is just kind of... there... and then over. Which is honestly kind of worse than being bad, because at least bad can be interesting.

The avatar stage themes slap though, definitely listen to those even if you don't play the game.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Xad posted:

feels like a complete game

except for the pointless padding where you have to replay stages and do the circus game to get enough animals to unlock arbitrary gates, and that they had to recycle the final boss from the previous game

i do respect the ambition of trying to do something new and different with Lost World and appreciate the attempt to get back to some platforming in the series even if i didn't actually like the game itself

the avatar traxx from Forces are better than anything to do with Lost World though

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Xad posted:

EDIT: Also having to do a side thing to unlock more levels isn't entirely new (though I wish they'd stop doing it), in Generations you have to do side missions to progress, in Unleashed you have to find the day/night medals, and in Lost World you need x number of birds to progress. It's annoying padding that nobody likes but some Sega CEO was probably like "INCREASE THE PLAYTIME BY X HOURS" though I guess they were allowed to not do that for Forces finally?

To an extent I don't really mind sun/moon medals or red rings or whatever equivalent being used to unlock levels since that incentivizes exploring the levels as you play or replay them, and stuff like the Generations missions were fun little variations on the game's usual areas. There's a fine balance to strike though, and I know most people think Unleashed missed that mark (I haven't played a full new game since it released so I can't say) but the idea at least is one I don't really object to.

The thing with Lost World was that there wasn't really any of that to it, it was just "replay the stages or little mini games until you hit this particular number."

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Skeletome posted:

The best part of forces is the odd red black and beige UI, I really like it

The issue people clocked earlier around weird gameplay gimmicks/ replaying levels is that it must be a huge cost to make Sonic levels- they're massive racetracks. Unleashed looked gorgeous and its day levels were fantastic, but it's miles upon miles of road to create. You don't have that issue with a slower platformer

Yeah, I think people at sonic team said that themselves around the time of Unleashed

Honestly with unleased in particular if they'd just split the beat em up stages in two so each individual one wasn't overly long, increased movement speed in them, and had you play as Knuckles (just have the stretchy limbs be a stylistic thing) instead of doing the werehog I think people generally would've been more receptive to the whole thing

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
my favourite Generations 3DS thing is that the classic Sonic stage layouts were lifted straight for their original games so in Mushroom Hill you have a checkpoint right before the end goal because the stage's miniboss was no longer there. man, Generations 3DS should've been so much better than it wound up

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah I hope Sonic Team doesn’t use “Classic Sonic” again. The classic levels in Generations were the weakest I thought.

i liked the classic stages in Generations, and thought the gimmick really worked for that one game given that it was an anniversary thing, but then bringing him back in Forces really felt like them just going "people liked this in Generations, right...?" without really understanding why it worked there

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There's no point bringing back White when the cowards would never have canonised Sonia and Manic :colbert:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It's the guy as cool and blue as planet Earth

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I would want Amy before Shadow in a Mania 2 or whatever given that including her hammer would make her more distinct from Sonic gameplay wise than Shadow would be, and also because she's probably the only female character they would be likely to ever go for

I'd still be all for heroes rising again with playable Shadow though. Especially if they focused hard on his chaos powers to help differentiate him from Sonic

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There's definitely less unfair pits and stuff as they go along but I think there's an argument that the original Rush is the most cohesive whole. Adventure is good but has issues with the vehicle races just kind of being there and requiring material farming to progress, while Colours DS feels kind of like a contractually obliged console tie in in its mediocrity

I don't like Rush as much as I did in 2005 but it's extremely confident in itself from the graphics and music to the attitude of the game design in a way Sonic titles have rarely been since

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Phillby posted:

oh god do I even wanna know about this?

"Actually, it's ephebophilia"
/
Naganuma

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The cowards should do a Sonic 06 sequel for its fifteenth anniversary next year

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Heck, give me both. It's time for heroes to rise again

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Put them in Sonic Turds Collection, which also contains art from the dark years of the Archie comics and Sonic Labyrinth 16 times

Suffer long and it will set you free. Only through trial do we find the strength we need

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 26, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'd never really considered the implications of classic Sonic being from the past but I'm choosing to believe that the sliding timescale means that both classic and modern Sonic are 15 despite that

Like, if Tracey Ullman Show shorts Bart Simpson met Bart Simpson from the show proper they'd both still be 10 despite the progression of time

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ten years later and I'm still bitter that I could never get the Time Attacker achievement. Common bug, never patched, the game just crashes in the time attack menus and fails to record your time even if you do complete the level. Some people managed to get it through what appears to be complete sorcery.

That's kind of wild. I just went and checked and I have that achievement, I guess I must have done it before they did whatever they did to break it since I got the game day one and played the poo poo out of it right away (Xbox site says I unlocked the achievement two days after release)

The only achievement I didn't get in Generations was the "beat the final boss without getting hit" one because that final boss is hot garbage and I only do those kinds of things as long as I'm enjoying them

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think this was specifically in reference to the PC version.

I did get the platinum on PS3 but that final boss one took me like 30 tries

LOOKS LIKE A HOMING ATTACK

WATCH OUT

Ah, yeah, so they probably were. I did look the problem up before replying but I've just double checked and the thing I was looking at last night was about Steam lol

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Sonic the Hedgehog - No such thing as games for those who speed

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The World Ends With You but with Sonic as the light puck

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

That's one mean bean machine

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Unleashed's tone was pretty good, and the Pixar-style humans were fine, just do that again but without the silly werehog this time. if you need a slower character to punch stuff, Knuckles is right there

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If that new show is doing multiverse shenanigans they'd better bring back Manic and Sonia for an episode. Their mother will be found

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i love the expression on deep sea diver Sonic

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
They're going back to the Kintobor origin but making it so that Sonic accidentally causes the accident that turns him into Eggman

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Am I the only one who’s kinda sad that Yuji Naka seems to have completely hosed up with Balan? like why does he do this to himself? He had something with potential why can’t he not make a poo poo game :smith:

I feel like having Naka actually direct it was probably the issue, given that his only prior game design/direction credits were Girl's Garden in 1984 and then Chu Chu Rocket. He was always a programmer, and then producer, so if he'd had a producer role on Balan and let someone else direct we might have gotten something decent and novel like the Wii version of Rodea.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please don't let Dimps near Sonic again

Dimps's fall from "this is the good Sonic game" with Rush in 2005 to where they ended up is kind of sad

Though I guess it's hard to tell how much was them just looking worse by comparison with Sonic Team actually putting out good games for a while with UCG, whether they were maybe dealing with reduced budgets, or they just got comfortable and turned crud out or lost interest once they were "adapting" ST games or what

Like, for whatever you could say about Sonic Rush in terms of the design around bottomless pits, it was an incredibly self assured game with its own identity.

Though then you get into the Sonic 4 games where we know at least the first was designed initially as a non numbered mobile focused game

So like, I wouldn't be excited for the announcement of a new Dimps game, but I feel like there's a land of contrasts thing going on there with what Sega wants or lets them do

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

my theory is that they gave Time Eater lovely music on purpose to encourage you to use the in-game jukebox and pick your favorite theme song from the other games to play over the fight instead.

And they made it a lovely playing boss to encourage you to play something else instead

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

there’s no reality where Heroes is better than SA2

on the one hand, you're not wrong. but on the other...

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the Knux/Rouge stages wouldn't be quite so bad if they'd kept the SA1 style radar instead of deciding that it'd now only go off in the order they wanted you to grab the shards

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Chieves posted:

Rouge and Tails were later additions than Knuckles and Eggman, right? Kind of makes me wonder if their levels were either just ported over when the other character was added or if their levels were made from scratch and didn't have as much dev time put into them.

I definitely remember reading that the game started development with branching story paths planned and speculation that whend they then decided to expand out to the hero/dark side stories instead some of the stages that were designed as alternate branches just got shunted off to new story character instead. This explains why there's a bit of an imbalance between the two in the types of stages and would then explain the level of focus given to some over others that were afterthoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BoosterDuck posted:

didn't sonic adventure release on NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN

In the US yeah, it was late 98 in Japan