Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Ok, I've been holding back, but since STC has been mentioned a couple of times this page:

I've just launched a fortnightly podcast about the British Sonic comics. The idea is not to be all "so as you know, in issue #84..." but to try and cover everything in the magazine (yes, including the Mark Millar Streets of Rage comics etc), and paint a picture of what it was like to be there and read them at the time. I reckon a few of you here will enjoy it, other people seem to be.

Here go!

Or here go if you don't like apples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I remember quite enjoying that rails level at the time, but it was blummin hard.

Hey, here's a thought that's been going through my head lately.

Wouldn't it be nice if they did a remake of Sonic Unleashed -- waaaait for it -- and they took out the Werehog stages, instead turning the Werehog into a powerup for the running stages, and they built onto those running stages so that now they're bigger, with different routes to go through if you have the Werehog. He becomes basically Knuckles gameplay, where you can punch through walls to uncover secret tunnels, or haul yourself up flat surfaces using your claws and teeth to climb.

I reckon that would be quite fun. Can't decide what would be the best way to turn into him though, probably a voluntary powerup, so you CAN just run through as Sonic, but then as you replay the levels and start to want to know what that far-off platform or that glimmer of hidden ring just visible through a crack in a wall might be all about, you go Werehog, get in there, and maybe find your way to a new, better running but for Sonic.

Yes I know they won't do this, I am an old Sonic fan so I live in a world of fantasy and you're just going to have to allow it.

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 22, 2021

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Despite the fact that all my memories of the Sonic Adventure games now seem like nightmares that would be the opposite of fun, I very much enjoyed both games when they first came out.

In other news, when the first one came out I was a colossally stupid teenager who had been saving up for a long time to be able to buy my first console and its launch title while riding a high-stakes hype train about how Sonic Adventure being good would mean Sega's survival against the Playstation that was ruining gaming by making it popular, and when the second one came along I was Doing Fandom with my girlfriend, and I'm sure, I'm sure all these things are unrelated and the bad games I can remember were actually good

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 23, 2021

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I used to do a very carefully edited LP of Planescape Torment on YouTube, and I wish I still was doing it, but I stopped when someone explained how far into the game I'd got and we figured out it would take me literally the rest of my life

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
^^^ Best Robotniks are definitely Adventures Robotnik and Martin Adams Robotnik.

[edit - and little Boots cracker Robotnik]
[edit 2 - ooh it's nice to come here and immediately see STCTP referred to as if people know what it is! Do people here know what it is? That would be nice.]

Macaluso posted:

Sonic is a hedgehog

No way: josei.

HELLO everyone, I'm here to talk about my favourite game character. (dizzy)

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 17, 2022

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Looper posted:

i'm reading through all of archie sonic (on issue 278!) but i probably won't ever read sonic the comic. it's important to have some gaps in your knowledge

You're right, but oppositely.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Mikedawson posted:

I've listened to about 20 or so episodes of STCTP. Of what I've listened to, I think it's really cool learning what it was like to be a UK kid in the 90s, but I can get a little annoyed by how dismissive they are of Sonic stuff they didn't grow up with. But the most recent episode I listened to is from 2 years ago so I don't think I can give a full judgement.

No, you can. You're right. I mean, it is a recurring joke, but it's also the kind of joke where the punchline is us, because of how, even though we're joking, it is what we think. Know what I mean? The joke is how absurd it is that we are nearly 40 years old and we actually have opinions about Sonic the Hedgehog that sincerely matter to us, and are extremely petty.

we're right though, our Sonic is *clearly* the best one.

Party Boat posted:

The STCTP hosts don't actually hate Archists, in the same way that STC Sonic doesn't actually hate Tails.

I think this is my favourite thing anyone's said about stctp

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Larryb posted:

I am kind of curious how they’re going to handle Shadow though since the current movie is already doing the whole “Sonic meets his match” story
(^^^ movie spoiler)

I mean frankly this is my criticism of the games version as well

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 1, 2022

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I've seen the film! Ask me anything!

Spoiler-free verdict:
I really liked it, far more than the first one, which I was quite harsh on, not because I didn't enjoy it (I did), but because it just felt like a huge teetering stack of compromises. The FIRST one, I'm talking about now. Ultimately, I resented the fact that, even if it was a really good example of them, I'd still been made to watch yet another Alvin & the Chipmunks, probably my least favourite sort of film. This SECOND film, though, never felt like a try-hard "you like stuff like this, right guys?" film like so much of the first one did, it always operated with a more successful layer of irony that made me feel like I was in on the joke, and the joke is these films. This is a movie that knows you're here because "Idris Elba as Knuckles" is a phrase that makes you laugh, and it leans into that sensibility without ever getting too arch or meta.

And speaking of jokes, this film does a lot of them, and almost all of them made me laugh. There were loads of moments where we laughed at full volume, and that's rare for me in a cinema. I just really got along with how silly the film is, and how much fun it was having being it. Even when it gives you scenes among the boring, bolted-on human characters, like the one in the trailer where they're at a wedding, it peppers them with jokes that actually land. That scene in particular turns out to be going somewhere, and where it goes gave me one of my biggest laughs of the film. (edit - Same goes for the bar scene, the one where they turn up in those cold-weather costumes from the trailer, that scene is so much better than the bar scene in the previous film because it's full of jokes that actually land.)

Tails and Knuckles are both done really, really well. They've both changed a lot over the years, so that what I think of as Tails (a small younger brother who looks up to Sonic and has a level of banter going on with him, but is a bit shy and unsure on his own) is quite different to what a young Sonic fan today thinks of as Tails (a slightly sassy inventor), and what I think of as Knuckles (a quite serious loner with a fearsome right hook and a devoted life mission) and what a young Sonic fan today thinks of as Knuckles (either a himbo or just sort of nothing), are quite different things. The writers of this film manage to find ways to square this and create new versions of the characters who may well please nearly everyone. This 90s fan was certainly very pleased.

And then there's Robotnik. Finally, this film delivers the Robotnik we could've had from the beginning. Someone said a few posts ago that they wished the film could've stuck with the Eggman look from the end of the first film? I'm not sure where they got the impression that it doesn't, because, it does. Throughout this film he gets to be the hammiest, moustache-twirlingest, Jafar-level Baddie, and I loved every moment he was on screen - which was a LOT. I liked him in the first one, but in this one I *loved* him.

And then of course there's the fact that this film aims to do a lot more classic Sonic Stuff than the first one did, and again, I basically think it succeeded at that. Whenever they were doing a Sonic Thing, I felt like they were doing a good interpretation of that thing. The green jewel we saw in the trailer, it's not exactly what we know from existing Sonic media, but at no point was I ever annoyed at their treatment of it. You choose whether it's a spoiler to know this: that jewel is called the Master Emerald.

Now, there is a big chunk of "but what about James Marsden?" in the middle of the film, and those characters are purely holdovers from the compromises of the first film and I'm basically against them, but I found them pretty entertaining overall, they kept surprising me (you groan when it emerges that Marsden's scenes are likely to comprise a machismo inadequacy subplot, with him having to compete with some muscly friends of the groom, but where that actually leads is somewhere else entirely, and gave me two big hoot-laughs.

Speaking of hoots, you're going to find out more about that owl, and what was going on with those echidnas at the start of the first film.

There was some stuff I didn't like, but it feels a bit picky. Like, for instance, once you've patronisingly explained what a fistbump is, using the word fistbump about three times in the process, and then you suggest doing a fistbump, when you do that fistbump, it is going overboard to say "fistbump" while you do the fistbump. Except, for whatever reason, they use the phrase "power bump" in this, which just makes it stand out more. It's that sort of film, where people will say "Oh no, we need to get the thing to over there!" "Yes, or the bad thing will happen!", that sort of film. But whatever, that's for the littler kids.

Speaking of kids, they'll love it. If yours are into Sonic, they'll enjoy this, and you won't feel mad that someone made something they enjoy and filled it with chilli dog farts and copaganda. That guy's still in it, but I honestly don't recall him ever being a cop or anyone mentioning that he is one, whereas in the first film they couldn't shut up about it.

Yeah I liked this. Had a lovely time. Anyone who listens to my Sonic podcast (I know there's a couple of you here) can expect a review episode soon. It's, er, significantly longer than the film though so it may take a bit to edit.

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 4, 2022

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Larryb posted:

Oh, I was mostly just referring to the fact that Robotnik was bald at the end of the first film and based on trailers seems to have reverted to his previous look in this one but I could be wrong. I’m glad to hear he acts more like Eggman in this and less like Jim Carrey though.

Well, I'm happy to say he remains bald throughout and doesn't even reduce his moustache size at any point (which is what I was worried about). And he rides around in an egg-o-matic. He rules.

Now, don't get too excited, because I certainly wouldn't say he acts less like Jim Carrey. I think I just like that. This is a guy who acts like a cartoon, and now and then they found parts for him that called for that. The Mask was perfect for him, and so is Robotnik in Sonic 2. Whether he acts "more like Eggman" is down to what you think Eggman acts like. To me, Robotnik can be Long John Baldry's loud, broad comedy Adventures version, the angry dictator from STC, or the sneering, cackling scientist from Martin Adams (who I've discovered in a re-read I think sounds a bit like Leonard Rossiter). This isn't any of those, this is Jim Carrey as a magnified version of what he did in the previous film, but apparently I just like that.

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 3, 2022

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there a Knuckles rap?

No!! >:O >:O

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

InspectorCarbonara posted:

They're not allowed to call it a fist bump because then they would be contractually obligated to play the Sonic Forces theme song.

I genuinely wondered whether that was actually the reason. Like they couldn't get the rights to it, and so they HAD to change the wording or everyone under the age of sensible would wonder where it was (I'm 40, I've never heard that song and all I know about it is that when I do, I'll hate it, but even I concede that yes, they would have to play it or it would be ludicrous)

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Larryb posted:

It’s good actually (in my opinion that is):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9ZAfRvPREL0

Hmm, I'm close to liking this, but I'd have to hear the real version to really judge, instead of this comically sped-up one.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
^^^ I'm worse than you think. I'm a strong enjoyer of rock music up to and excluding the moment they started doing that rapid bass drum thing. That one thing erased my ability to enjoy (or even really hear?) the lovely chords I used to listen for.

I am, it is important to note, forty now, and no longer concerned with trying to appear non-old. Give me Bill & Ted era guitars and leave me there with a big smile on my face and a mug of tea in my hands.

Larryb posted:

That’s not sped up, that’s literally how the song plays in the game

I know, I was doing a jaunty jape.

But it does have that same sound I used to enjoy creating by running tapes through the High Speed Dubbing on the family hifi when I was little. Or like listening to the NTSC version of Solstice. More like that actually, because there's always Americans around to insist it sounds just fine that way.

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 3, 2022

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
When are you doofi getting the new film over there, I want to see some chat about it and I'm getting impatient. I am, if you like, waaiittiiinnng. I thought I was pro the staggered release because it meant I benefited from it, but now that I see I'm vaguely inconvenienced by it, I'm suddenly anti it!

(Anyone who missed it and would be interested, I posted a quite long spoiler-free "review" of it on the previous page. Review in quotes because it was just someone batting at a keyboard at 2am with his eyes forcing themselves closed)

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
ah god it didn't even occur to us to try and find chilli dogs.

I've no idea where to get a chilli dog in Manchester >:C

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Detective No. 27 posted:

You don't have a Sonic out there?

No, and we don't have Popeye's either, or whoever else you've got. Garfield's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
The mid-credits "surprise" character Shadow should be voiced in 3 by Keanu. He has the right sort of voice, is the right sort of age (yeah, you heard me, nobody really ever talks about this but if you think about what we know of his backstory, Keanu Reeves is in his 50s) and would be a draw like Idris was. Case closed meeting adjourned.