Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jsor posted:

That rascal Dr. Robotnik, always buying his airships from Eggman Industries

Looks like he parters with Air New Zealand to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It looks surprisingly good in 1080p as is, they could probably give it a quick once-over and sell it mostly as-is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My ideal next game after Mania would basically be to take the same engine and bring it up to high-res sprites a la Rayman Origins.

The slightly abstract design style of sonic makes it ideal for vectorised art, really.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 30, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It uses the Mystic Cave multiplayer music, but it works a lot better than the actual Hidden Palace music cut from the game.

Also Bluetooth controllers with phone grips are cheap and plentiful nowadays, although I'd have thought Sonic was simple enough that touch controls wouldn't be much of an issue.

Or just get a regular Bluetooth controller and plug the phone into the TV.

Xad posted:

Yeah, the Christian Whitehead-made phone versions of Sonic 2 included a new Hidden Palace Zone based off of the incomplete level found in the leaked Sonic 2 beta rom, complete with the boss you see there.

There's also a code to get into Proto Palace zone, which is laid out like the actual one from the beta with music.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 2, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mania should do a Sonic 3D blast level in 2D. Just new art with the same theme and music.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'm playing Sonic CD off steam and I feel like I'm missing why people rave so much about this game. The level design feels clunky as hell, the time travel mechanic is fiddly as gently caress and unfun, and slowly hunting through a level for the machine I need to blow up to try and get a good future is the opposite of want out of a Sonic game. The soundtracks (both of them) are pretty great... I dunno, is it me, am I crazy? Or is nostalgia just a really powerful drug in this case?

(Sonic 3 & Knuckles status: still owns, if it matters)

Just have fun running through it, don't go crazy trying to find the machine and get perfect until the second time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My theory is that they're just bad at it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the things that was proposed for the remake of CD was a Secret Ending final boss after you got all the Time Stones that apparently would've involved fighting back and forth in time. Sega didn't approve it since it was the first remake and they hadn't proven themselves yet. You can unlock the concept art of it (and their planned extra desert level) though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

That sounds like a really cool concept, but I have no idea how he would've implemented it with the little time travel signposts.

No posts, you could time travel whenever you wanted (since you had all the stones), and it would be an immediate shift between timezones without the transition/loading screen, just the level changing around you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But where's the gratuitous cleavage?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic fans shouldn't be allowed to make Sonic games.

So not looking forward to Mania?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

In Sonic Mania, has it been confirmed whether the villain will be referred to as Robotnik or Eggman? This is very important.

Probably neither? Kinda how he was never outright named in the genesis sonics except for the manuals? I feel like Mania is going to go with the wordless storyline style the old games used.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Studiopolis has Egg-words all over so probably Eggman :sigh:

Eh, he always had Egg branding. Like how Wing Fortress in S2 had the EG logo and was marked EGGMAN-01.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RedHotKick posted:

I really like Lost Worlds aesthetic even if it is cribbing entirely off Mario. I don't think I prefer it to Unleashed though, those levels were absolutely gorgeous and I want a return to that, which might be happening with 2017?

I agree, and more importantly, the Lost World aesthetic would let them make massive 3D levels with a lot less effort than the over-detailed Unleashed Day art style, which has always been a major issue for them. They should stick to it just so they can make expansive runs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I wonder what a collector's edition would contain for mania.

Probably one of the shirts they're selling already, an off the shelf Sonic figure, and a slip of paper with a steam code.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Here are stupid good quality rips of Sega Genesis / Mega Drive music:
http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/media/

If you have emulator rips or youtube downloads of these then get them again from here, the sound is a little different.

http://16bap.theclassicgamer.net/faq/

How about the soundtracks from Sonic 1/2 remastered mobile ports? They were able to find the original sample files used to create the Genesis synth, so it actually sounds crisper than the original (since the sounds were compressed to put them on the chip)(I think that's how it worked?)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 13, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

azurite posted:

The only things that were samples were the drumbeats pretty much. Genesis music is generated by modulating waveforms (FM synth). The remaster might've been from an emulator or a really good recording of a Genesis.

Apparently it was FM synths same as the originals, high-quality versions of the drum sound samples files, all given a proper mix.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fred is on posted:

Also, you rarely get to hear more than the beginning of the song, which gets really old really fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Vsc2m0fZ0

EDIT I clicked this open to make sure it was the right one and I swear I had some kind of nam flashback.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 18, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

sonic 2 takes place on west island

It actually is West Side Island. And S4 was 'Mirage Island'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xad posted:

I think people have said before that the reason for this is probably that a smaller dev team, like the one working on Mania, might not get the NX so far in advance, while Sonic Team probably does. So it'll probably come out for the NX, but maybe not at launch.

The engine they use for Mania and the remasters is basically a monolithic C++ black box using no more than standard libraries compiled for insert target platform here that you can hook platform-specific i/o interfaces to. The rendering engine is all done in software and CPU rather than hardware-specific. As a result, porting to different platforms is a piece of piss. That was part of the pitch of the engine for remasters - they can just keep porting Sonic forever easily.

It'd probably be easy to get it up for the NX at the same time, it's probably just Nintendo was still playing silly buggers with secrecy at announcement time, and negotiating a contract with three external studios for a port would've been annoying as hell. Speculation, but technically there's no reason it'd be difficult to launch with it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I just saw a thing from an interview with a dev that apparently nobody told the Sonic Spinball team that they'd lost the rights to the Sonic 1/2 intro music for further games until literally hours before Spinball was to start being pressed, and then only because someone from Japan happened to be attending the wrap party and was like 'oh what why do you have that intro screen music?' and they had to shut down the party and panic-compose a new intro.

It's good to know Sega's never changed. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For some reason Sega keeps doing this thing where they'll get third party musicians to make a piece of music and then licence it for specific game use, rather than commission them to make music that Sega would then own or have indefinite rights to. They got the guy from a JPop band Dreams Come True to do the music from Sonic 1 and 2, but the band hit big after that and they were too expensive to deal with.

Same reason that Sonic CD's Japanese intro doesn't have lyrics in the remaster, or the PC Sonic 3 has totally different music for some levels - those licences were for those specific games on specific platforms, it seems.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spergatory posted:

The sequel. I don't know why this is so loving funny, but it is.

oh no

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/787004432219340804

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sonic has the same continuity as Mario: a vague sense of connectedness and that's it.

Well, and 2/3/Knuckles are all To Be Continued from each other as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elfgames posted:

this is dumb hotdogs are made of cows and pigs that are raised on a farm, sonic can care about wildlife without being a vegan

This is a world of intelligent talking animals, it's just easier to play the vegan card.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Orange Harrison posted:

Sega's doing this too? Is this turning into a trend? Does this mean we're going to have micro N64's with HDMI in 5-10 years?

I didn't know the VAs were so chill. Now I know what got the current Eggman to say "Snooping as usual I see"

Hah, less time than that probably.

Technically the chipset inside the Nes Classic is more powerful than the Wii was, so it could easily emulate N64 games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god Sonic having a PTSD flashback to Labyrinth Zone.

"Chaos! I'm taking you down like it's 1999!"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 18, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

I do wish they'd show some more footage from Sonic '17 though).

I'm like 95% sure that at the time of the unveiling we saw literally everything they had on it. Pretty sure '17 was 'oh poo poo, they expect another game!'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you have an android phone, you can just get a cable to plug it into the TV and pick up a Bluetooth controller. You should be able to do it with an iPhone, too.

The games will even hide the onscreen buttons and move the lives counter back to the bottom for you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 8, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, I'm watching it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sue posted:

The drop dash from Mania looks far more sensible (though not great enough that I can accept it as a replacement for S3K's superb insta-shield).

Well, it's a bit of a sonic take on the ground pound, which got super popular in platformers after it was invented for a drat good reason.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

I don't think it is, despite the name there doesn't look to be much of a drop component to it, it's just a burst of speed when you land. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Oh yeah never mind then.

I wasn't paying that much attention to the drop dash to be honest, I though it was slam down then dash forward for some reason.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't know what the other games are but Sanic racing transformed actually owns harder than it has any right to, moreso than any mario kart I've played in years. I bought it as a goof cause I saw Ulala was in it and drifted around one turn in my first race and was like Ummmmmmmmmmmmm this owns?? I think I put 50+ hours into it lol (I got every chieve cause that's what Sonic would want :c00l: )

Yeah, the original Sonic All-Stars racing game was kinda lovely but they really knocked it out of the park with Transformed. It's a pity it's just seen as just another generic Mario Kart clone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dehry posted:

The lock on technology is a big reason. Sonic and Knuckles while containing most of the game data for the extra games still pulls some data from the attached cartridges. It requires modifying a ROM which is more work than slapping a ROM into a System on a Chip.

http://segaretro.org/Lock-On_Technology

It's incredibly easy to do to a rom, though.

gently caress, they already had the locked-on rom files from past collections like the gamecube/ps2/xbox one. Any emulator could accept those rom files: once they're combined, S3K appears to be a single standard game, no extra work on the emulation side.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'll probably plug my Wii Classic Controller back in for Mania. Can't beat that Nintendo D-Pad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aaand here's a prototype of sonic 1 that the act 2 mountains are referenced from.

EDIT: apparently that first pic was a hoax someone made, but these are the real ones:

Purple enemy dude can be seen in this very early concept art:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 11, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Destructoid's interview said that Mania would be 60:40 remixed:original. Considering that this is meant to have more zones than any past game and GHZ Act 2 shows remixed levels will have pretty large amounts of new art and mechanics, that sounds today fine.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 12, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

But yeah GHZ Act 2 looks so different it's hardly a remix. It's sampling the chorus, using the same instruments and redoing the rest so to speak.

Even literally - apparently there's an Act 2 music mix they replaced with Act 1 for this demo so as to preserve the surprise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Generations with original levels is fine by me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poster they gave out.

lovely shot of the actual boxart.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The biggest problem with dark dystopian storylines is that it doesn't work well with brightly coloured crazy semi-abstract levels and that poo poo is Sonic's bread and butter.