Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I bought this at a game convention this summer. I'll probably drink it on the night of my wife and I's planned conception to make sure I am extra virile and our child is strong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have a bunch of things to do before tomorrow and I have 3 completely open hours before the game unlocks but I'm just sitting here anxiously refreshing this thread to shitpost with my sonic friends

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I like the intro cause it's so close to Sonic OVA and Sonic CD. (The two most perfect representations of sonic in animated form of all time.)

The problem I have with the Mania intro is tails and knuckles clearly get an early start out of the elevator on the line before sonic which is hosed up imho.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ahhhhhhhhhh I want to get into a loving cryo chamber just to put me to sleep for the next 2hr40min

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VynDxJWZ698

I enjoy the energy in this video :unsmith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Got to play a couple of hours and I'm only up to Mirage Saloon & couple of thoughts:

I like that it takes me a moment to figure out how to damage bosses instead of shredding them in 2 seconds like usual. They're boss fights now and there's clear danger periods where guy can't attack where a lazier game would just extend their invincibility frames. Smart. I was LMAO at Hydrocity Zone's boss and that we def my fav so far.

The special stages own and are really well hidden. I've got 5/7 emeralds but have prob failed 4 times. At first I thought they were too edgy easy but the difficulty curve is pretty good. The last two are gonna be hard but I think I can do it before I beat the game my first time!

The bonus stages being blue spheres may have been a misstep though...there's so many to do and it's not clear what they're even for till you save & quit at which point I decided to do just one per zone since they take so long. I preferred s3&k's where they're silly nonsense where I get rings, continues & powerups. I like the inclusion of blue spheres but idk maybe they should have replaced the chaos emerald special stages after you have all 7 emeralds and bring back an s3&k style slot machine or other acid tripy experience.

Overall the game's fantastic, another nitpick is I just wish all zones had level transitions instead of most. It's weird even the level just fades out.

Finally I think the game's difficulty is fine, retarded polygon journalists aside. I've had only a handful of unintentional deaths and I was at 17 lives when I put it down to go to work (I died intentionally a couple times to explore another path at the bring beginning of an act). I kept dying on chemical plant act 1 to something but can't remember what it was.

Looking forward to beating the game tonight, it rules and these guys are so talented it's crazy how many ideas they've crammed into these stages. Seems like a Mania 2 is inevitable to me!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Also I got a time over death in flying battery act 2 cause I was having so much fun exploring lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

More like :toot: :toot: bitch

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can't wait to play more. Then beat it again and not worry about the chaos emeralds.

All I am thinking a lot of the time is drat all you Sonic CD people must be in heaven given the massive size of these levels. There's so many secrets and traps in them, I love it. I can't wait for an in-depth sonic 4 comparison of level design.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Game good

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic mania feels very much like a dream you'd have about if they just kept making genesis era sonic game's.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

In case anyone runs into this, here's what it's doing. Reset the console, hard reset the console, uninstalled, etc. No change.

Did u try blowing in the cartridge

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I got really loving high last night and played sonic mania.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread Qustion:

Favorite Easter Egg you've found so far? Don't forget spoiler tags!

All the game gear sound effects such as during the MSZ and SSZ act 2 boss fights. I haven't seen anyone mention these yet.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wish Mania ended on more of a climactic high point, the secret final boss/ending fell kinda flat for me but everything else completely owned and I can't wait to 100% all the chieves. I almost have all the gold medals after 1.5 playthroughs!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Forces better fucken have the MGS2 bro handshake scene but with sonic X OC...or else...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What does jump=brake mean

I thought it was better to round corners with jumping but that phrase makes me think I should never jump as it would sacrifice speed. Would you like to clarify, mr president?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm Very upset right now. Just found out that hyper sonic and the super emeralds aren't Canon.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good morning. I can't wait to make my OC who will be best friends with sonic and we will save the earth together because I believe in sonic unlike many of you. smdh...SIGH

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My biggest problem with Mania I think it's I wish there are standard ring+powerup+lives bonus stages to replace the blue spheres when you were done. I had did much fun with the 3 we got to play around in in s3&k, especially the electric orb one that used to scare me as a kid before I became a master at it :c00l:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic And Knuckles.

It's spelt:

Sonic & Knuckles

Please be respectful here, thanks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why did this thread get so bad after Mania came out.. I thought the magic was back and we'd all come together to rejoice in the year of sonic... :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

GOOD MORNING

https://twitter.com/UnknownKongYT/status/970326550926319616

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

GOOD MORNING

https://twitter.com/FourScore64/status/1014358777435447297

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Reflecting on how great it is to be an American, how America is the reason Sonic exists & thinking about some heavy stuff today and it's insanely hosed up that we live in a world where there exists no console that one can legitimately play Sonic 1, 2, 3&K and Mania on...Like, sorry for being negative but is this a world I want to raise my children in?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/SegaCDgames/status/1014669917931614208?s=19

:thunk:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There's a big fuckin difference between an occasional death (I want to feel challenged) and being stuck/roadblocked

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1016801275806035968?s=19

Tee hee

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol IGN doesn't need help from sonic fans to be hated. But to pinpoint it exactly they waged war with sonic when that clip went around as year or two ago of a bunch momos from there saying sonic was never good in a super insincere/clickbaitey way. When in reality those lads are incorrect because sonic was: always good

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The guy who runs the twitter, Aaron Webber/@RubyEclipse, made some rancid tweets the other day essentially saying that the Arenanet firings were a good thing, so gently caress'em.

Aaron Webber's job is literally PR, and he's effective at it, of course he thought the ArenaNet firings were a good thing (people like her make his life and time company's a living hell) how ignorant are you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh oops why am I replying to DoctorWhat,I know better than this lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOAct6UE3I

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Welcome back beep by grandpa, it's been awhile!

Thank you! I haven't been running in like a year cause of an injury and I'm trying to get back into it so I sought out my friend sonic for inspiration. He will make me strong and durable again.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is epic

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kOXZAYz-q0
only sonic movie i'll ever need

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/rceezus/status/1114918182093901824?s=19

If this were unlockable in Forces I would have overlooked all of its problems

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wearing a hat seems extremely difficult for sonic and on top of that wouldn't it straight up fly off once he gets going for more than 1 second? Tails' and Knuckles' heads are much more suited for headwear and no I'm not still bitter that Knuckles' completely awesome cowboy hat, sunglasses and satchel never came back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

all of my friends keep sending me that sonic tweet cause they all know i luv sonic and every time i see it i just think of that Don't cite the deep magics to me witch pic