Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I've been furiously catching up with this thread so I can reply to a discussion from like a dozen pages back because it's really important that every single American in this thread hears this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_cF2ll1zzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
As someone whose first video game was the PAL Sonic 1 with the 50hz soundtrack I just want to tell you all that it's the clearly superior version, and my argument for this is: everything was the best during my childhood

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The "oh no" callback to Sonic Adventure 1 is my fave :allears:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=demZZpIWMyA

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_f6kzLBEc

Give these guys the Sonic writing job please Sega thanks.

I was trying to make a list of things I loved about this video but it got too long to post, oh my god.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Eggman juggling the emeralds like the Sonic 1 'bad ending' screen though :allears:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

SupSuper posted:

Also here's the Lego Dimensions "changed just enough to dodge licensing shenanigans" music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI-Kw24bkjA&t=55s

They got the Open Your Heart music right (I think that's the instrumental, or an extended version of the menu theme) at least!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Spacebump posted:

I wish his remakes would be ported to consoles (or something that isn't iOS.) That Sonic 2 remake looked excellent.

Isn't Sonic 2 on the 3DS or is that a different port?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So what's the difference between a regular port and the super special iPhone port? I know the engine was supposedly rebuilt from scratch or something but what does that do that emulation can't?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

TFRazorsaw posted:

Every joke with Knuckles is painful. I don't get why people like him. People were angry for years that Sega was making him too stupid, and then this stuff comes out where he can't tell left from right or even count and suddenly it's the funniest poo poo ever.

Knuckles has been an idiot in every generation so I'm not sure where this anger is coming from. Tricked by Robotnik in Sonic 3, AND in Sonic Adventure.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I'm mad that the special stages are Sonic CD style and the bonus stages are blue sphere style because guess which one of those I am good at and which one I suck at.

This game is hype as fuuuuuuuck I can't believe it's nearly out, I'm gonna die while waiting.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Detective No. 27 posted:

Idea: They discover the underwater island of Demon Island and have to help Kintobor gather the Order Emeralds.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Shadow Hog posted:

Jun Senoue's... well, Green Grove 1/2 and Panic Puppet 1 are good, but then you get the blandest poo poo like Spring Stadium or the Special Stage.

Actually both of those rule

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

the SCREENS

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Frankston posted:

Oh god, did they have to stick with the gross squashed screens?

I'm hoping they also go for extremely awesome music that doesn't appear in the single player.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Andre Banzai posted:

Man I love how Marble Zone looks freaky as hell with these UFOs spinning in the sky. Was this how it was supposed to look in the beta?

https://youtu.be/3ITUGssYFr4

Wayne's World apparently has beta footage of Sonic 1 in it with these UFOs http://www.sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?catid=1&gameid=1&subid=4&artid=9

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Heaven Spacey posted:

Cool as they are I kinda hate it when stage backgrounds are too flashy,

but enough about Sonic CD

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Can Tails in Sonic Mania still kill badniks by flying up into them and hitting them with his tails?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
All I care about is which AoStH episode you picked because that show rules.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

That's no good.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any retail version besides the collectors edition? If not they should just activate the game on all platforms, since its not like its competing with physical sales.

Wrong, because then I'd get mad that I can't play it now and have to wait for my CE to arrive :mad:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

ArfJason posted:

well, when trying to disprove some idiot about something, someone linked a screen of leaked mania content. kind of a shame that i know about it but, a lot of our prayers have been answered.

Does this mean the game is actually good?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Wait, Tyson Hesse? As in Boxer Hockey Tyson Hesse? As in this Tyson Hesse??

God drat, I'm so happy :allears:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I can't wait to play Sonic Mania with all my best friends, Sonic, Miles, and & Knuckles

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kurieg posted:

They asked at a con if the super emeralds would ever be returning and their response was that they were really only created so that people would have a thing to collect in the locked on sonic 3 and weren't strictly canon.

They can say they're not canon all they like but I know in my heart that the super emeralds are real, they are strong, and they are my friends.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope Cybershell doesn't forget about the Sonic expansion for Lego Dimensions.

It came up in his top 10 Sonics I believe

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think I was too young at the time of watching Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to really appreciate the gag of Grounder having a phone he can't physically hold. That is a primo joke.

Grounder has hands that can replace his drills though.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Veotax posted:

Sonic Mania is almost here guys. Oh my god! Oh my god!

(Skip to 5:17 if it doesn't do it automatically properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkT113MLYI&t=317s

I'm the audience reaction at "all new drop dash"

:geno:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Frankston posted:

It's out in the UK :D

I regret buying the collector's edition.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

beep by grandpa posted:

Is SOnic Forces our first tried and true evidence that Robotnik doesn't just arbitrarily do this stuff just to gently caress with Sonic ala the Joker?? I always saw their dynamic that way and not necessarily evil.

In episode 50 of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, "Robotnik's Pyramid Scheme", Sonic accidentally prevents his ancestors from meeting, Marty McFly style, and begins to disappear. Robotnik notices this, but carries on with his scheme as normal. If Robotnik were to Sonic as the Joker is to Batman, Robotnik would never tolerate Sonic the Hedgehog disappearing from existence.

Okay thank you for reading

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Is there a secret to doing the special stages in this? I'm stuck on the fourth one. I run out of time after 3 or 4 laps, or fall down one of the many many holes every single time. I never even get close to the UFO.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
That's what I've been doing so I guess I'm just bad :smith:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Question about Hydrocity Act 2 boss: why are people having so much trouble with it? Unless I'm misremembering isn't it the same boss as Act 1 in the original games? With the U-shaped water pit and the spherical boss that churns the water for a few seconds? Am I thinking of something else because that's probably the easiest boss in the game :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kurieg posted:

Knuckles can't jump high enough to hit it, the same as in S3&K, however they've also removed the other way knuckles can easily hit him, which is to spin dash up the sides ahead of him and land on top of him as he cycles. As now his rotating fire arms make him into one giant damage box the entire time they're spinning. So the only way you can hit him without taking damage is to spin dash ramp up the sides as he's landing and jump off into him.

Admittedly I haven't played as Knuckles yet in Mania but this sounds like the same as it was in the past. You couldn't attack him while they were spinning then either.