Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Grabbed the game and played Green Hill on my lunch break.

So, so good. I've not hit much new music yet but the updates to Green Hill and Chemical Plant are lovely. The main thing they needed to capture was the "feel" the way games like Sonic 4 didn't and they absolutely did that. I was a little concerned they might pile on too many features, like all the kinds of shields but it seems fine so far. I get the impression levels are more "gimmicky" than in 16-bit days but it's probably what they would have done if they could. I like that they did their own iteration of the aesthetic rather than lift the spritesheet wholesale from 2 or 3 (and I'm glad it looks closer to 2, I'm hoping the Super Sonic sprite is closer to that as well) I don't know if transitioning it to HD would have had any meaningful implication to gameplay or cost to produce, but pseudo 16-bit seems fine. It's just a bit interesting since a lot clearly couldn't be done on a Mega Drive/Genesis.

Small detail: I like that it seems Tails has "sprite parity" with Sonic so far in a way he didn't in 2 and 3+K. He does the "Sonic CD" corkscrew off of springs as Sonic does now, stuff like that.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Thread seems to think yes this isn't Sonic 4 so I shall partake and curse my Switch to forever having a digital Sonic game on it

It's my opinion that this is Sonic 4, but also that the game released under that name isn't.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I feel like Sonic is best portrayed as a rude, cynical jerk that's borderline criminal who none the less has a heart of gold deep down. That's basically the same character archetype as Han Solo or Lupin the Third. If they made a new Sonic cartoon where he was a thief treasure hunter, that would be a pretty good fit, especially with the Chaos Emeralds and all.

Are you fishing for a job with IDW?

Sadly, it would all but guarantee more trips to loving water temples.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Finished my first playthrough last night. Only one Emerald as I suck and both finding and winning the special stages. Although I only just realized rings give you more time.

It's nice to have Sonic condensed back down to what worked, no ridiculous extended cast.

Oh look it's Nack, Bean and Bark! Ray is probably the only more obscure character they could have used! I'm not clear if it was actually them or robot shapeshifting, but re-imagining them as an outlaw gang works.

Also, final boss question: Is it possible to dodge the hands that teleport you to fight one of the robots?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Reusing enemies from other zones was cool too. The bats from Marble Zone in Green Hill, Dinosaurs from Hilltop to Lava Reef, and the chicken gunners from Wing Fortress to Flying Battery.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Ask me about my klik n play, tgf and mmf sonic fangames.

Also unleashed daytime gameplay style owns

Yeah, I agree, it seemed to put some thought into what 3D Sonic should be, with the addition of drifting and that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Way past cool. Definitely my favourite Sonic art style too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sonic Cycle Status: Going At It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyFg9OyIYEY

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What Happened? has tackled another Sonic game. It has a decent summary of the Ken Penders bullshit too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6rBc2E1tw

I was in European publisher QA for Sega at this time so tested Sonicles (and a disconcerting number of previous and likely future Wha Happuns) and yeah, the music change was in maybe the penultimate build. I don't remember much about the previous music but I think it was pretty good and the final area had a tasty cover of the already tasty final boss theme from Sonic 3. Also I laughed myself hoarse at the change.

I only had some peripheral awareness of the Archie comics but was aware of the Echidna society stuff in that and thought there were, possibly deliberate, shades of that in the game but obviously didn't know that would scupper whatever hope for a sequel the game had. Rubbish to not have a proper ending though. Bunch of good ideas, better than it needed to be.

After watching a bunch of Cybershell and TetraBit videos lately I do have to wonder if earlier builds will ever surface. Probably all locked down now but you never know. If Bioware put another Anthem of Andromeda out maybe something will get out. There was a neat bug early on when luck from an equipment item would be permanently applied to a character at each level, leading to a ridiculously inflated stat that let you go first and get 100% critical every time, giving opponents no right of reply. Was dealt with quickly but pretty funny to see.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 11, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Larryb posted:

Here’s some more information, apparently the show deals with the multiverse in some way:

https://www.wildbrain.com/newsreleases/sonic-the-hedgehog-speeds-over-to-netflix-in-the-all-new-animated-series-sonic-prime/

Oh great, they think they're making Spider-verse.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

When my friend linked me 'Sonic Prime' I had this weird bleary eyed moment of thinking it was a tie-in with that awful netflix Transformers show

It's not but it probably sets my expectations about right

Just to be clear, Transformers Prime is ace, the Netflix series Siege and Earthrise are blah.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

A Sonic Mania inspired lego set is in the works

They've occasionally changed fan submissions significantly in the final product, but I assume the spirit/basics will be the same.

I think it's already gone through a bunch of revisions, pretty sure the first version was like 5 years ago, before Mania was announced, and it's been adjusted to tie more into that.

Id be interested to see the full story, since possibly making it a Mania toe-in may have come from Sega. Given there was a dimensions set I had assumed that the licencing would be easy, so no idea why it took so long.

Side note, the Van Gogh one they also announced looks great too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

MJeff posted:

Cybershell debated a guy about SA2 vs. Sonic Heroes and I tried to watch it, but found it pretty insufferable and gave up after 20 minutes. See if you can last longer than that, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obtGE_8NAp8&t=340s

That guy ranked every Simpsons episode recently and the random bit I saw put a Ricky Gervais ep over The Cartridge Family, so I feel they can be dismissed out of hand now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It would have been cool to see a brief mention of Sonic Blast as well, which basically does the Sonic 3D style of animation in a 2D perspective, so it would have been an interesting point of comparison.

Would have liked a mention of Sonic Extreme as well, I know it's excluded as unreleased per his rules but maybe just as framing for Lost Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it's the middle one because the MIDIs were slapped in very close to the mastering, so they probably didn't line any instruments up at all.

Literally the last build in test, as I recall, and it was really good before that.