Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Frankston posted:

I don't collect Lego but the early 90's child in me is screaming for one of those Lego Sonic figures. Where the heck can I buy one in the UK?

As far as I know, Lego hasn't made a Sonic set so the first place to get a Sonic Minifig would be the Lego Dimensions set which comes out November 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If Sonic 06 isn't canon then why does Silver keep showing up in all the new games?

They re-introduced him in some PSP game. Sonic Rivals or something.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yesss. I hadn't realised that they confirmed the collector's edition for Europe.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

LEGO's writing game is top notch. I've got a thing for 100%ing their games on steam, and the DC lego games have become progressively and simultaneously more in-depth, nerdy, and horribly self-aware. The latest batman one lets you unlock Kevin Smith (voiced by Kevin Smith) by beating missions where you direct bad superhero extended universe movies. You can also unlock Zebra Batman and Frank Miller Batman (who is much larger than the other Batmans and can't do anything but smash things).

Also they had the cast of The Force Awakens record new dialogue for the Lego game. I'm pretty sure that it's the only time Harrison Ford has recorded original voice work for a video game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm considering getting Mania on the Switch instead, I currently have a pre-order in the stupid CE for PS4 but I recently had a clear-out and re-arranged my bedroom, I don't really have anywhere to put dumb video game statues anymore.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I want to say that Generations was six or seven levels (each with two acts, classic and modern) and a handful of bosses.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That's a really loving good trailer.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, with pre-orders up we know the price. £14.99 in the UK, that's cheaper than I was expecting. I thought it would be £20 minimum, probably £25

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a drat shame the comic is probably cancelled. I didn't grow up reading the Archie comics (we had our own entirely separate Sonic comics in the UK) but I've been reading them since the reboot and really enjoying them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

oops

Veotax fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 18, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

and that's what happens when you have too many tabs open

Veotax
May 16, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm confused as to why that person felt the need to post that dumb thing here.

That was a bad webcomic meant for the bad webcomics thread.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Fun embarrassing fact about me: the first time I ever posted on an internet forum, it was on Sonic Fan Games HQ in like 1998 or whatever. I've actually talked to the Taxman and Stealth like 20 years ago but I doubt they'd remember me. I was a little kid trying to make garbage games in The Games Factory.

SonicCult was the first forum that I really hung around on, I'm pretty sure that Stealth used to post there often.

I actually changed my handle because of Taxman. I used to go by The_Tax_Man but people kept thinking I was Taxman so I eventually changed it to Veovis (a character from one of the Myst books I was reading at the time) but the unoriginality of it got to me so I changed it again to Veotax, apparently I'm the only person on the internet who goes by that so I managed to stumble into a unique name.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

Boom is a crappy cash-in designed to promote the cartoon of the same name and wasn't even made by Sega.

Hardly. The game was in development long before the cartoon came along. Elements of the game were reworked to tie-in with the cartoon, but it wasn't made to promote it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm picking the Mania up on Switch for portability (especially since I have a vacation the week after release) but I'm making the move to 4K so I might double-dip on PS4 if the Pro version is good.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sonic Mania is almost here guys. Oh my god! Oh my god!

(Skip to 5:17 if it doesn't do it automatically properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkT113MLYI&t=317s

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Some of Sonic Boom's jokes sometimes just catch me really off guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZN_90BK9wQ&t=315s
(5m 15s if the embed doesn't work properly)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lots of content, bug-free or reasonably fun. Pick two, we don't have the budget for three.

Or in the case of Sonic 06, only the first one.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aww. Looks like it didn't leak in the UK, not update to download here.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xad posted:

Nah, it ONLY leaked on PS4 in EU, but they already fixed it. If you already downloaded the update while it was up, you still have it, but you can't get it now

Well that super sucks then, guess my PS4 didn't pull the update automatically.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah the comics were a fun read but so far there’s essentially no story. It’s 90% just Sonic and friends blowing up robots and making one liners. It’s basically one big introduction issue split into 4 chapters.

That's probably why the first four issues were weekly, would have been a real drag for the first four months of the comic. Looks like the story is actually starting in the next issue

Veotax
May 16, 2006

God drat it, I was genuinely excited reading that until the end of the second line.

Put the ports of 1 & 2 on something other than a loving phone or some smart TV garbage you fucks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also probably in the comics from time to time. I'm not sure if it's ever been in the games, but it's definitely penetrated ancillary media.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Buml0r posted:

Ok, I've been holding back, but since STC has been mentioned a couple of times this page:

I've just launched a fortnightly podcast about the British Sonic comics. The idea is not to be all "so as you know, in issue #84..." but to try and cover everything in the magazine (yes, including the Mark Millar Streets of Rage comics etc), and paint a picture of what it was like to be there and read them at the time. I reckon a few of you here will enjoy it, other people seem to be.

Here go!

Or here go if you don't like apples

I listened to this on my commute today, it's really good! I loved how informative it was about British comics in general, I only ever read StC and The Beano so I don't know much about 2000AD and other comics of the time so it was great getting some context. The editing was entertaining as hell too, loved the music cutting in and out during the charts.

Keep it up, this is one staying on my playlist.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Who did the creep voice? I didn't know he was part of the Sonic cast.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fleetway Robotnik was the best, he was absolutely giant and looked like he ate babies for breakfast.

I loved the absolute way they didn't give a poo poo when they 'adapted' the Sonic Adventure design, he just put on a new coat rather than making him look like the Adventure Eggman.

Of course, the Adventure adaption was the last story they did prior to going into eternal re-runs until it was finally cancelled so they probably didn't give much of a poo poo about doing a faithful adaption. That story had almost nothing to do with Adventure other than having Chaos (who was nothing like the game version other than being a water monster that wanted the Chaos Emeralds and sonic takes a trip into the past and meets the ancient Echidnas (and Knuckles was there, implying that he gets thrown into the future or goes into stasis or something eventually).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yinlock posted:

ken penders: always on brand

Nah, this was the UK comics. They were pretty restrained with the Echidnas, you saw some advanced technology on the Floating Island and only one other echidna appeared in the comic (other than the Adventure adaption) who ended up being a villain.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It is a god drat crime that the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 and 2 never made it off phones.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

holy poo poo 22 minutes?!

It's an entire episode of Sonic X

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Sticks is the most canon, and she knows you're trying to get rid of her.

Sega should put Sticks in the main Sonic series :colbert:

Also Tangle and Whisper since they're coming to that mobile game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This is neat, someone made a tech demo remaking Green Hill Zone, Act 3 (sans-boss) on the SNES. Looks like it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4LNM8b9Vg4

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

loving hell. I’ve got to read this comic. Is it on any subscription service?

Nope, pre-reboot Archie Sonic isn't available anywhere anymore I think after Ken Penders succeeded in suing for the rights to the characters her created for the comic, because Archie is incompetent.

Post-reboot Archie Sonic is still available even though they lost the Sonic license.

EDIT: No wait, I was wrong. Looks like Archie Sonic isn't on Comixology at all anymore.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 27, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I thought the whole metal virus story line dragged on a bit too long, but I'm enjoining it. The Tangle & Whisper and Bad Guys mini series are good too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As someone who read the UK comic as a kid and not Archie I really enjoyed reboot Archie and I was sad to see it and it's characters go when Sega pulled the license.

I've been enjoying the IDW comic and it's new characters, though I think the Metal Virus arc went on a bit long.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

Looks like Colleen won’t be voicing Tails anymore either (in the new cartoon at least):

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1356440181226631168

Sounding more and more to me like the show has a new voice cast and Sega is going to use them in games going forward, like what happened with Sonic X.

Maybe Pollock is staying on.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

Why does Sega keep dumping their voice actors like this? This is the third cast change the series has gone through already.

I dunno, but honestly I think the current/outgoing cast is the first time Sonic actually had a good cast. The Adventure era cast was pretty bad for the most part IMO and I never liked the 4Kids cast.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

A Sonic Mania inspired lego set is in the works

They've occasionally changed fan submissions significantly in the final product, but I assume the spirit/basics will be the same.

Oh hell yes. I saw this going around a while ago when it first got submitted and I thought it has a pretty good chance of getting through.

Haven't brought any lego in a while but I might pick this up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a fan submission, the Mania tie-in came from the fan who submitted it. Sega wouldn't have had any input yet as the kit wasn't approved until now, any changes Sega wants won't be apparent until the final kit is shown off. It might not have any Mania stuff when the final set comes out, Ideas sets can change quite a bit from the initial fan submission to the official release after a Lego designer has re-worked it.

Ship in a bottle fan submission
Ship in a bottle final release

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The Adventure-era Robotnik was top tier, imo.

Oh yeah, of course. Bristow was amazing.
Everyone else was either eh or bad. Dunno how much of that came down to bad direction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

New Frame Plus, a Youtube channel about game animation has done a deep dive (almost two hours) on Sonic animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCcHOvSVJQ

Some takeaways: modern Sonic design proportions are actually a bit animation un-friendly and Sonic Boom actually had some of the best animation in the series (shame about everything else about that game, though).