Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like to poop and pee while im driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
evrey time i see someone swerve across the entire motorway at 90 mph to take a junction at the last possible moment i hope they carry on swerving and flip their car over into the field

as long as they manage to kill themselves in a way that doesn't involve anyone else or slow traffic everyones a winner really

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

XMNN posted:

evrey time i see someone swerve across the entire motorway at 90 mph to take a junction at the last possible moment i hope they carry on swerving and flip their car over into the field

as long as they manage to kill themselves in a way that doesn't involve anyone else or slow traffic everyones a winner really

They are usually the cause of accidents, not the victims.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Ever since I let someone riding my rear end pass me, and they subsequently ran over a rabbit that would have not been smashed into the pavement had I held the line, people behind me can lick my salty balls.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cartouche posted:

They are usually the cause of accidents, not the victims.

i can always hope

ive got no problem with speeding particularly, but 8 am on a weekday isn't a great time for it

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Moridin920 posted:

So that means that everyone else has to constantly be watching themselves around you, because you drive like you assume everyone will be paying attention and know to be careful around you.

Quite the opposite actually. I assume no one is paying attention and everyone is retarded. I always plan an out for every person I'm passing.

If I'm about to pass a semi, I'm more than aware of how much shoulder is available and where all other cars are around me so I can take appropriate actions to avoid the semi should it not see me and start to merge into my line.

That's the problem with most people. They aren't checking their mirrors often, they have no situational awareness and live far to "in the moment" and not planning ahead. I drive standard. My foot is off the brake so I can engine brake down as soon as I see the car 2 or 3 cars ahead of the one I'm behind hit their brakes.

It's about awareness and common sense and most people on the road lack either.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

I Own Soulz posted:

Quite the opposite actually. I assume no one is paying attention and everyone is retarded. I always plan an out for every person I'm passing.

If I'm about to pass a semi, I'm more than aware of how much shoulder is available and where all other cars are around me so I can take appropriate actions to avoid the semi should it not see me and start to merge into my line.

That's the problem with most people. They aren't checking their mirrors often, they have no situational awareness and live far to "in the moment" and not planning ahead. I drive standard. My foot is off the brake so I can engine brake down as soon as I see the car 2 or 3 cars ahead of the one I'm behind hit their brakes.

It's about awareness and common sense and most people on the road lack either.

This is the right way to drive. Being aware of drivers around me and what they're doing has gotten me out of several accidents. Not because I was speeding, but because I was able to recognise someone's stupidity in time to react accordingly.

However, using these skills to justify swerving in and out of traffic passing people left and right is dumb. Though I did have a phase like that when I was a teenager. Maybe that's when you're supposed to learn those skills and it's why car insurance for teenagers and young adults is more expensive.

A friend in highschool took that to the extreme, would go in and on about how he'd see the highway as a chess board or some poo poo, planning his zig-zagging several steps ahead. That stopped when he was passing a truck on the right and crashed. The cute girl he was with ended up in the hospital in bad shape, literally scarred for life.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Overtake the weak and the slow. They are undeserving.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Except nothing dweeb. The first point you're asking about is obvious and you know it, you're just being dense.

"Not everyone can handle the stress?" What's your point? A seizure disorder shouldn't be the only medical problem that keeps someone from being unable to hold a license.

Is this really how you justify tailgating the gently caress out of people?

lol I hope your superiority saves you in the event of an auto accident (prolly won't but I can hope)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

We loving get it, the by-the-books usage indication for hazard lights is what you and the sheep goat guy have been saying over and over, but if you'd ever been in the situation you'd know that sometimes, they can serve a non-traditional/strictly-legal purpose.

Also floridians are much better drivers than the lunatics I had to deal with in california.

I've been in all kinds of weather while driving and never once did I think 'hey I'll flip my hazard lights on, that will help this situation.'

Storms, fog so thick you can't see 2 ft in front of you, hail, sleet, snow. Cars have lights for that reason specifically, the hazards are for other poo poo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 28, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I've been in all kinds of weather while driving and never once did I think 'hey I'll flip my hazard lights on, that will help this situation.'

Storms, fog so thick you can't see 2 ft in front of you, hail, sleet, snow. Cars have lights for that reason specifically, the hazards are for other poo poo.

You do know that hazzard lights are not for your benefit as much as others... right? I mean you are wrong about so many things, but this is pretty wrong dude.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cartouche posted:

You do know that hazzard lights are not for your benefit as much as others... right? I mean you are wrong about so many things, but this is pretty wrong dude.

uh that's the point duder idk how you got 'hazards are for my benefit' out of that post

quote:

A Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson told NewsChannel 5 that flashers are for emergency situations.

"First responders look for flashers to see if someone needs help," said an FHP spokesperson.

Law enforcement officials say hazard lights can actually reduce visibility making other drivers think you are stopped or stalled.

Other drivers writing on social media say flashers make it difficult to see when a motorist is tapping the brakes or using a turn signal.

so thus if you use them during heavy weather you're a dumbass because you make it way harder for everyone else while thinking 'this improves my car's visibility'

and it's hilarious that googling 'hazards in heavy weather' immediately brings up FL news stories about LEOs asking people to not loving do that

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 28, 2016

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

quote:

Law enforcement officials say hazard lights can actually reduce visibility making other drivers think you are stopped or stalled. 

Regardless of the hazards debate. This statement is dumb. If it reduces your visibility, then others can't see you, so what's making other drivers think you're stopped or stalled?

Edit: actually, we joke that people use their hazards as a fix-all. "I've got my hazards on, so I'm now allowed to do as I like, in invisible!"

rgocs fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 28, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

Regardless of the hazards debate. This statement is dumb. If it reduces your visibility, then others can't see you, so what's making other drivers think you're stopped or stalled?

Look at this retarded poo poo, just look at it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well sometimes when it's super foggy and you turn the fogs on all they do is reflect light off the fog and it's actually harder to see; I assume it's kinda like that.

For example it's raining super heavy and all you can see is a couple flashing hazard lights in front of you and the lights themselves are obscuring the car and you think it's stopped or stalled when it isn't (bc all you can really see are the flashing lights).

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Saw a guy with his hazards on, weaving in and out of traffic at unsafe speeds.

So I figure they are the "Go Fast" lights.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I imagine goons having this argument in their car during fog and then suddenly out of no where they're side swiped by a gigantic truck making the whole point moot anyway

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
If you aren't moving to pass / the fastest person on the roadway you should stay your loving rear end out of the left lane.

seriously. gently caress you and your mother.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PromethiumX posted:

If you aren't moving to pass / the fastest person on the roadway you should stay your loving rear end out of the left lane.

yeah

RobattoJesus posted:

I imagine goons having this argument in their car during fog and then suddenly out of no where they're side swiped by a gigantic truck making the whole point moot anyway

that made me laugh

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
another dasdardly act by paul soccer ten

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

quote:

A Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson told NewsChannel 5 that flashers are for emergency situations.

"First responders look for flashers to see if someone needs help," said an FHP spokesperson.

Other drivers writing on social media say flashers make it difficult to see when a motorist is tapping the brakes or using a turn signal.

It's exactly this. It makes it harder to quickly determine what a driver is doing in front of you in a low visibility situation. And every single additional person that does it compounds the effect--and this poo poo is like some sorta retard influenza because as soon as one person does it, more bleating idiots follow suit.

Your running lights serve the purpose of making your car visible to other drivers in low-visibility situations, that's what they're for. It would be far less infuriating an act if using your hazards in that manner had no effect on other drivers, but you're actually putting yourself and other's at greater risk while thinking "I'm making myself and everyone safer :smuggo:"

e: same for people blocking up the left lane. Get out of the way and let them pass so they're not passing people on the right, tailgating drivers, and driving MORE aggressively because you're being a dick. Sure, they're the ones not being safe, but you're actively contributing to that behavior increasing the risk to drivers who are doing what the should be in the other lanes. Stop it.

wuffles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 28, 2016

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Well sometimes when it's super foggy and you turn the fogs on all they do is reflect light off the fog and it's actually harder to see; I assume it's kinda like that.

For example it's raining super heavy and all you can see is a couple flashing hazard lights in front of you and the lights themselves are obscuring the car and you think it's stopped or stalled when it isn't (bc all you can really see are the flashing lights).

OK this makes sense.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PromethiumX posted:

Passing means there is a car on your immediate right or there will be one in five seconds or less by the way. Not that in a few minutes you'll come up on that RV.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
A long time ago I used to be a driver education teacher AMA

First question: yes it's basically like License to Drive

Second question: worst thing that happened was someone totalled one of our cars in the parking lot while it was parked with not witnesses

Third question: we eat donuts

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 28, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I hope every "I'm king of the road" type gets sideswiped by a fat soccer mom in her white SUV at the same moment she turns to backhand her fat child.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wicker Man posted:

I hope every "I'm king of the road" type gets sideswiped by a fat soccer mom in her white SUV at the same moment she turns to backhand her fat child.

That sounds like a good death

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

PromethiumX posted:

I'm the guy brake checking your sorry rear end. :smug:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
sometimes i drive around during the daytime with my fog lights on. i also have a vanity plate that is ironic in nature

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mariana Horchata posted:

sometimes i drive around during the daytime with my fog lights on. i also have a vanity plate that is ironic in nature

SKMYDKUFKMN

(Dang... that's too many letters. :smith:)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cartouche posted:

Ever since I let someone riding my rear end pass me, and they subsequently ran over a rabbit that would have not been smashed into the pavement had I held the line, people behind me can lick my salty balls.

Lol I run over multiple wild jackrabbits every month. There are thousands of them where I live and they love to dart out into the road in the middle of the night. It's not worth risking an accident to swerve out of the way so I just crush their cute little skulls under my tires.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
is this code for a gay thing? otherwise idc

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ArbitraryC posted:

Also I dunno how common this is everywhere else but on wa highways/freeways I see a lot of truckers use their hazards to indicate they're going notably slower than the average flow of traffic. Not like ones in the city or anything like that but long stretches out in the middle of nowhere. It seems like a commonly understood thing when you see them doing it they're basically saying 'hey be careful I'm a rolling obstacle on the road'

When I was learning to drive semi-trucks, my instructor taught me to turn my hazards on if I was going 20mph or more under the prevailing speed, such as long inclines when heavily loaded. It's not a law that you do so, at least in the state where I got my CDL, but it seems like good practice, especially at night.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 29, 2016

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The best way to piss off the driver begind you is to drive the speed limit in single lane traffic.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What abou t those BMWs with their DRLs look like eyebrows. I'd just wait for those to phase out if I were in the market for a BMW.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Here's the thing. I don't drive with my windows down, so I'm not going to roll them down and put my hand out to wave, then roll them back up to say thank you. My rear windows are also tinted, so they won't see inside my SUV at me waving.

I'm going to just pulse my hazards to say thanks when someone lets me in.

If someone confuses a pulse of hazards as my car being stopped or I'm in distress they can sincerely get hosed.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

uh that's the point duder idk how you got 'hazards are for my benefit' out of that post

so thus if you use them during heavy weather you're a dumbass because you make it way harder for everyone else while thinking 'this improves my car's visibility'

and it's hilarious that googling 'hazards in heavy weather' immediately brings up FL news stories about LEOs asking people to not loving do that

and MB's subnormal floridian rear end silently slinks out of the thread

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Airborne Viking posted:

The best way to piss off the driver begind you is to drive the speed limit in single lane traffic.

I do this all the time, however it's usually around 2 in the morning in a heavily wooded area with lots of hills, curves, very few streetlights, and many animals that don't give a gently caress.
I've managed to only hit a rabbit, two raccoons, and a bird.
No deer yet, but they are always out there.

There will always be someone pissed that I'm not doing 10 over.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Airborne Viking posted:

i slowly decelerate if someone is right up behind me in a built up area in their german luxury car

otoh on a country road if youre doing 40 in a 60 i literally want to kill you* especially if you carry on doing 40 when we hit a 30 because then its obvious youre not just a bit of a pussy, youre not actually paying any attention at all

*if theres no safe opportunity to overtake you aggressively

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 29, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

HeldenSterbenNicht posted:

I do this all the time, however it's usually around 2 in the morning in a heavily wooded area with lots of hills, curves, very few streetlights, and many animals that don't give a gently caress.
I've managed to only hit a rabbit, two raccoons, and a bird.
No deer yet, but they are always out there.

There will always be someone pissed that I'm not doing 10 over.

This is me. I have more respect for the wildlife than those who would get pissed off at doing the speed limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

XMNN posted:

otoh on a country road if youre doing 40 in a 60 i literally want to kill you* especially if you carry on doing 40 when we hit a 30 because then its obvious youre not just a bit of a pussy, youre not actually paying any attention at all

*if theres no safe opportunity to overtake you aggressively

Yeah, I mean if it's a farm tractor I'll give them a pass because they're clearly just doing something work-related (usually), and will usually give you ample opportunity to pass, but cars doing that poo poo is annoying. You don't have to speed but just go the speed limit and stop loving braking every time you pass a cow field to yell "moo" out the window at them.

• Locked thread