Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

client posted:

you knew the answer to that question before you asked it. it's salon after all

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/15/a_w...dium=socialflow

I've changed my mind: salon is good now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stopped reading the Carnegie endowment for international peace after they switched to a streaming platform exclusively for "classic" family guy episodes

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

rakovsky maybe posted:

How so? They have a dumb article every now and then to cash in on the news cycle (Pokemon Go) but their in depth analysis stuff is usually pretty good.
Every publication has its bias, but Jacobin verges on Fox News levels of dogmatism. It's Full Communism or nothing. It's Bernie or Bust. I think this genuinely compromises their analysis; I picked a random essay out of the hat.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/07/clinton-kaine-dnc-trump-bernie-election/

This article takes Clinton's VP pick and spins it into all sorts of disasters, even though VPs have historically never counted for poo poo unless you're a pushover President like Bush. "Given Kaine’s stance on TPP, picking him as VP signals that the Clinton administration will make superficial changes to the TPP before pushing it through Congress." Where the hell are they getting that?

They see themselves as a vanguard for the left and this implies all the propagandistic functions that come with it. Even when the argument isn't there, they'll make it. And when the argument is there, they'll make it without a shred of nuance.

I still follow them because there aren't many places that'll provide the radical leftist take on an issue, and having a broad perspective is good. But it's impossible to take them seriously because their dogmatism so compromises their intellectual integrity.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

notZaar posted:

Can we all agree that Jezebel is really bad also?
Jezebel is meh but I appreciate that they aren't too self-serious. It's pop feminism and sometimes you get a good perspective in their comments section.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Vegetable posted:

"Given Kaine’s stance on TPP, picking him as VP signals that the Clinton administration will make superficial changes to the TPP before pushing it through Congress." Where the hell are they getting that?

is there anyone that really doubts that though? Clinton hasn't really said that she opposes the TPP in a way that doesn't give her plenty of room to make an excuse to sign it.

then she picks a pro-TPP VP, at the convention nobody except Bernie people even mention the TPP, and Terry McAuliffe (a close friend of the Clintons) just straight-up says "yeah she's gonna sign it" a couple days ago

I'm sure the plan is to pass it in a lame duck session so she never has to sign it but barring that there is not really any doubt that she's full-on pro TPP as it is written right now

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Troutful posted:

oh my god

The funniest thing is after you skim the whole thing and scroll down to see all the stupid clickbait article ads, it's like the punchline.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

client posted:

you knew the answer to that question before you asked it. it's salon after all

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/15/a_w...dium=socialflow

tbh I couldn't give less of a poo poo about this who cares

let em gently caress what does it matter. if there's no power dynamic going on because he never knew her until she was an adult then there's no real ethical issue and if they aren't popping out defect babies then so what?

e: and rear end is the new pussy :colbert:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 29, 2016

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

rakovsky maybe posted:

How so? They have a dumb article every now and then to cash in on the news cycle (Pokemon Go) but their in depth analysis stuff is usually pretty good.

lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

City of Tampa posted:

is there anyone that really doubts that though? Clinton hasn't really said that she opposes the TPP in a way that doesn't give her plenty of room to make an excuse to sign it.

then she picks a pro-TPP VP, at the convention nobody except Bernie people even mention the TPP, and Terry McAuliffe (a close friend of the Clintons) just straight-up says "yeah she's gonna sign it" a couple days ago

I'm sure the plan is to pass it in a lame duck session so she never has to sign it but barring that there is not really any doubt that she's full-on pro TPP as it is written right now
The sum of all those evidence might point to her being pro-TPP, sure. But her pick for VP means nothing. Nobody picks a VP to signal a stance on anything. She could have picked a Brooker, a Perez, or a Brown and it'd still have meant poo poo. And she wasn't going to pick Warren and Sanders for about a hundred reasons other than the TPP, so their non-selection means nothing too in the TPP debate too.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

My favorite Vox story to share whenever someone asks if I read it:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/21/9582930/assad-syria-moscow-putin

vox's youtube channel is some of the most impressively bad poo poo

like its got decent production values but the content is so bad and boring i dont know how its possible

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you can make anything 'hard hitting' even blurry, out of focus phone video from a car in stop-and-go traffic. you just need a fuzzy, soft low-fi synth track and a voiceover of a pleading 20-something while talking about poo poo that none of us know anything about anyways

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
legit one of the best most thought out articles i have ever read on the transiency of the organic food movement
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/how-junk-food-can-end-obesity/309396/

their science writing is actually really good as well

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that organic foods movement is really fuckin dumb for many reasons

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vivisectvnv posted:

legit one of the best most thought out articles i have ever read on the transiency of the organic food movement
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/how-junk-food-can-end-obesity/309396/

My god that is a long-rear end read. Like I probably agree with their argument but there's no way anybody read that whole thing

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Vegetable posted:

My god that is a long-rear end read. Like I probably agree with their argument but there's no way anybody read that whole thing

maybe at least one person loaded the article on their phone and then their internet connection went out while they were waiting at the dmv and they didnt have anything else to read

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vegetable posted:

That looks like something that would have gone into the magazine version. You know, back when Atlantic wrote for print instead of bite-sized internet articles.

The broad argument is that we have to make changes from the top-down because, on a society-wide level, telling people to unfat themselves isn't going to work. On an individual level, yes, absolutely the 100% best way to change is to take responsibility for yourself, but that doesn't solve the problem that 200 million Americans are overweight/obese. To actually fix that you have to go after the players who can institute changes that can go after people on a scale of millions or hundreds of millions.

This is the same idea as something I've been saying for a while now about pollution and waste. Getting your granola neighbor to become even more hyperconservative about his recycling efforts isn't going to accomplish poo poo on anywhere even resembling a meaningful scale locally, much less nationally or globally. That stuff is going to have to come from the big corporations. If everyone who ever posted on Something Awful, all 200 thousand of us, immediately cut down their consumption to starving African child levels, it wouldn't affect anything at all in terms of helping to make climate change less drastic. But one single executive could institute a change that will help pull our planet's collective asses out of the 1% hotter fire.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Vegetable posted:

The sum of all those evidence might point to her being pro-TPP, sure. But her pick for VP means nothing. Nobody picks a VP to signal a stance on anything. She could have picked a Brooker, a Perez, or a Brown and it'd still have meant poo poo. And she wasn't going to pick Warren and Sanders for about a hundred reasons other than the TPP, so their non-selection means nothing too in the TPP debate too.

i don't think that the VP pick was necessarily specifically related to the TPP, but it was an easy bone she could have thrown to the left with no consequences for her and she didn't do it. and also she apparently didn't care that Kaine had recently and publicly took a position on bank regulation that almost seems designed to infuriate the left

the cynical side of me wants to believe that he was picked as VP before he wrote that pro-bank letter, and the letter and the public announcement of him being picked coming so close was a signal to the banking sector if anything.

but then again she is buddies with all of them so she could just pick up the phone and go "hey Lloyd Blankfein just ignore all the liberal poo poo I say during the election I still love you and you guys will call all the shots in my administration, let's get hella paid"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I dropped the Atlantic like a rock after reading this delightful turd nugget:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

vivisectvnv posted:

Michael Pollan has no clothes? Gimme a loving break. All he does is talk about processed foods he found in supermarkets as if Pollan would advocate eating them and then he talks about the relative dietary fat in beef and tofu as if dietary fat was driving obesity.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While I respect that the framers decided to include it in the bill of rights, I don't think our founding fathers could have predicted a future where lovely journalism was so readily available and able to hurt so many people at once. I think it's about time we get some reasonable news-control in this country.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dmitri-9 posted:

Michael Pollan has no clothes? Gimme a loving break. All he does is talk about processed foods he found in supermarkets as if Pollan would advocate eating them and then he talks about the relative dietary fat in beef and tofu as if dietary fat was driving obesity.

The article uses "Pollanites" 10 times, Pollan himself 8. "Pollanites" say lots of remarkably stupid things, which are used to prove that Pollan has no clothes. That is some trash hack writing.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The Economist's editorial board has apparently been gradually replaced by imbeciles over the years, but it's still worth the sub for the regular reporting. It's a pretty good summation of what's gone on around the world last week, and the articles usually give a pretty good pro and con before they get to their own opinion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dmitri-9 posted:

michael pollan is dumb and not a scientist. his advice is mostly dumb

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Brannock posted:

That looks like something that would have gone into the magazine version. You know, back when Atlantic wrote for print instead of bite-sized internet articles.

The broad argument is that we have to make changes from the top-down because, on a society-wide level, telling people to unfat themselves isn't going to work. On an individual level, yes, absolutely the 100% best way to change is to take responsibility for yourself, but that doesn't solve the problem that 200 million Americans are overweight/obese. To actually fix that you have to go after the players who can institute changes that can go after people on a scale of millions or hundreds of millions.

This is the same idea as something I've been saying for a while now about pollution and waste. Getting your granola neighbor to become even more hyperconservative about his recycling efforts isn't going to accomplish poo poo on anywhere even resembling a meaningful scale locally, much less nationally or globally. That stuff is going to have to come from the big corporations. If everyone who ever posted on Something Awful, all 200 thousand of us, immediately cut down their consumption to starving African child levels, it wouldn't affect anything at all in terms of helping to make climate change less drastic. But one single executive could institute a change that will help pull our planet's collective asses out of the 1% hotter fire.

The article was 50% good, 50% filled with the same health nonsense he bemoans.

Mange Mite posted:

true but the guy writing the article was wrong about a bunch of poo poo too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus gently caress. what happend to salon. the only one i sorta find interesting is the kylo renn one and thats because i made that comparison joking to a friend. but the rest are awful.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

notZaar posted:

Can we all agree that Jezebel is really bad also?
all of the gawker websites are even worse than places like salon and the like, because they operate under the belief that they're completely justified in doing terrible things because they have the right mentality of the world. if anyone else published a pic of Kate Upton and Justin Verlander in the nude, though, you'd better believe that every one of their websites would be frothing at the mouth

rakovsky maybe posted:

they're really good when it comes to stories about the political culture in different countries, but when they stray away from that, it gets very dicey. the only good entertainment-related piece i've ever read from them was from that woman who had nothing good to say about the new ghostbusters. and yeah, i haven't bothered with their articles about the presidential election since it was obvious Bernie wasn't gonna win, even though i agree that picking Kaine as VP suggests not-good things

seriously, what's wrong with Sherrod Brown? pro-labor, not squishy on abortion, and from a midwest state

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the move to bite-sized content is terrible. especially because the entire driver behind that is the atrocious click-based internet ad model. that's why you see all this dumb poo poo like infinite scrolling through articles and videos that autoplay into a playlist of 30 second - 2 min videos to wring out some ad impressions.

pretty much all of the major publications i can think of suffer from this regardless of subject matter. i think that's part of the reason aggregators sprung up over night and are now the way many people consume news. vox probably has a good article or two in their repertoire but ill be damned if im going to read through all their bullshit to try and find a diamond in the rough. half of the articles i read don't even seem like they've been glanced at by an editor or even proof-read by the author.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the daily beast came up with a different metric for measuring ad revenue from people who visit a page but it'll never happen because there is no motive to switch from the old one

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 29, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

thathonkey posted:

the move to bite-sized content is terrible. especially because the entire driver behind that is the atrocious click-based internet ad model. that's why you see all this dumb poo poo like infinite scrolling through articles and videos that autoplay into a playlist of 30 second - 2 min videos to wring out some ad impressions.

pretty much all of the major publications i can think of suffer from this regardless of subject matter. i think that's part of the reason aggregators sprung up over night and are now the way many people consume news. vox probably has a good article or two in their repertoire but ill be damned if im going to read through all their bullshit to try and find a diamond in the rough. half of the articles i read don't even seem like they've been glanced at by an editor or even proof-read by the author.

The lack of proofreading seems to have become endemic in journalism overall. I see atrocities committed against the English language in AP and Reuters, and even more frequently in local news sources.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The lack of proofreading seems to have become endemic in journalism overall. I see atrocities committed against the English language in AP and Reuters, and even more frequently in local news sources.
Suffice it to say.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Mange Mite posted:

I liked Cooked on Netflix but that's more of a history of the major food processing advancements in human history which sort of cuts against his "food processing is bad!" message.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

NY Times is still great. LA Times and WaPo close behind. Economist is its own beast and far better at world news. Can't complain about their writing IMO.

I did a full list of reading sources the other day, might post it here later

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the atlantic published the best article ever. someone probably already linked it but i'm too lazy to check.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the atlantic published the best article ever. someone probably already linked it but i'm too lazy to check.
sure, don't describe what it was about or anything like that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Case for Reparations by Ta-Nehisi Coates

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

coates kinda sucks. he shot down reducing economic inequality through government intervention (free public college, universal healthcare etc.) because when they did it in the past, it was racialized, as if we're incapable of learning from our mistakes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah you should just read the article.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i did, a long time ago. it's a pretty good article but he's become less endearing in my eyes since

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
White liberals slobbering over Coates' writing is more annoying than he is as a writer. His stuff ranges from good to bad but having to listen to a paleskin coworker who exclusively posts BLM memes on Facebook about how you "have to read" his new article is a huge turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
New Yorker is not without its flaws (the pretension can be overwhelming) but it's probably the highest quality modern publication I can think of at the moment.

NY Times is good too but that's just news. New Yorker has some excellent long-form pieces. Paywall sucks but I like it enjoy that I subscribed :shrug:

It occurred to me that the two sites I actually enjoy reading on the internet I pay for (SA and New Yorker)

• Locked thread