Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I found this on Phish's youtube page and thought it would be interesting to all the musicians/gear heads. You can tell Trey is really excited to show how he does everything, I was surprised at some of the gear he uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-jXPQe1ak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
They have two parts for each band member, and Fish's first part is basically just him hanging out with the cameraman, talking about funk and reggae. It's great.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

these are really cool, watching Page's now, thanks!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
New studio album, Big Boat, announced for October 7 on their Facebook page

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I would like a video showing how they pack up Page's gear and load it onto the trucks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just found out that Phish will be performing in my city (for the first time ever?) in October, and if tickets aren't sold out, me and my girlfriend will go.

I'm not really an avid listener, but I've enjoyed A Live One, Big Cyprus, Madison Square '95 and Big Island tour. Any good modern shows (or even some good classics?) on Spotify I can listen to that will get me more prepared?

I've never seen them before, so this is very exciting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I just found out that Phish will be performing in my city (for the first time ever?) in October, and if tickets aren't sold out, me and my girlfriend will go.

I'm not really an avid listener, but I've enjoyed A Live One, Big Cyprus, Madison Square '95 and Big Island tour. Any good modern shows (or even some good classics?) on Spotify I can listen to that will get me more prepared?

This summer run got pretty good marks from most people after the first few shows. I saw them on July 8th and it was very good I thought. From that show on word was they got on a roll.

I don't know if any of that is on spotify though. People liked Magnaball a few years ago.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 13, 2016

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Has anyone received tickets for fall dates yet? I got my credit card hold and the confirmation email a while ago, but no tickets in the mail yet.

Franchescanado posted:

Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with most shows since 2013, especially the Halloween shows or the numerous Dick's shows. Seconding Magnaball.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Starting to go through the 98 shows, man I am legit surprised how good some of these Aud recordings are.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Phishtracks.com will cover all your streaming needs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

Starting to go through the 98 shows, man I am legit surprised how good some of these Aud recordings are.

You're surprised that rich kids with dat decks and pro quality mics could make good sounding tapes?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

You're surprised that rich kids with dat decks and pro quality mics could make good sounding tapes?

It's worse than that, it turns out that ~taping quality~ improved from the grateful dead audience tapes in the 80s.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

LordPants posted:

98 and 99 are such good years, I've somehow actually listened to more shows from those years than any others. I personally love the NYE 98 shows, they have my favorite Harry Hood and one of my favorite Slave's.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I'm reading Phish: The Biography, and I just placed my order for the new The Phish Companion. Hype, it's good to get a relatively rich story like this told in a physical thing I'm holding. Makes me feel we're important.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so72eM1J_so&t=8006s

Gets me every time.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

This is what you get when a bunch of people collectively decide to miss a Phish show.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

So uh, Phish released a new album? Been dipping back in a little. Any reports?

Couple tracks I've listened to sound lame as hell tbh.

ok thanks for reading

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

zenguitarman posted:

So uh, Phish released a new album? Been dipping back in a little. Any reports?

Couple tracks I've listened to sound lame as hell tbh.

ok thanks for reading

Got bored and turned it off before the end. LivePhish is the only phish

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pitchfork slammed it but in a way that wasnt snooty indie pitchfork but in a way where you felt the reviewer was bummed it wasnt as good as Fuego

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

rally posted:

LivePhish is the only phish

Rift is a very good studio album imo. They are capable of it, even if it's rare.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Was gonna say rift too, and story of the ghost is mega chill (except guyute). But I also have fond memories of listening to it back in the day.

Should I give fuego a shot? I liked time turns elastic enough.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I listen to billy breathes every once in a while. I think that one kinda nails it.

Fuego isn't that good IMO. I was excited to see what bob ezrin could do with them but it's nothing great. I like waiting all night though.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Rift is a very good studio album imo. They are capable of it, even if it's rare.

Their studio albums are solid for the most part. I've always liked A Picture of Nectar and Farmhouse. I still recommend A Live One over them all, though.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Junta is my all-time favorite studio album, but I agree with everyone else who says they'd rather listen to live stuff 99% of the time.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

did you guy catch them on fallon? trey wore a weird shirt?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I love Fuego and Rift, the other albums? Yeah, Phish is mostly a live band. Big Boat bummed me out a bit too, I enjoy Blaze On and Breath and Burning though.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Billy Breathes, Lawn Boy, Rift, and Picture of Nectar I feel are all pretty strong start to finish. Big Boat is ok, I think eventually though we're going to notice a strong live presence with a decent number of the tracks (Blaze On, NMNML, Home, Waking Up Dead, More, Always Wanted It This Way...apparently Mercury was recorded and got cut by Bob Ezrin).

I scored two nights of the NYE run through the lottery, and got shutout for 12/31 on Ticketmaster in like zero seconds. Last year's run was pretty drat good and I seriously regret not going.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My Phish first Phish show is tonight, doors open at 7PM. Going with my girlfriend and best friend, and I'm excited.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Bombtrack posted:

Billy Breathes, Lawn Boy, Rift, and Picture of Nectar I feel are all pretty strong start to finish. Big Boat is ok, I think eventually though we're going to notice a strong live presence with a decent number of the tracks (Blaze On, NMNML, Home, Waking Up Dead, More, Always Wanted It This Way...apparently Mercury was recorded and got cut by Bob Ezrin).

I scored two nights of the NYE run through the lottery, and got shutout for 12/31 on Ticketmaster in like zero seconds. Last year's run was pretty drat good and I seriously regret not going.

Llama is about the only song where the studio version is undoubtedly better than most (all?) live versions. no NYE for me, unfortunately, at least i got $200 to burn now

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Undermind is a remarkably good album given the material. Round room is the opposite.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

My Phish first Phish show is tonight, doors open at 7PM. Going with my girlfriend and best friend, and I'm excited.

Make sure you post how it goes :)

There's nothing I love more than taking people to their first shows. It always feels like I've known about this little magical world for years and I get to drink them in. Have fun!

I moved from New England to Oregon this year which means I'm seeing far fewer shows, but I'll be back for the end of the year. I don't think nye is in the cards but I'm hoping I can get down for some of the other shows in the run

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Llama is about the only song where the studio version is undoubtedly better than most (all?) live versions. no NYE for me, unfortunately, at least i got $200 to burn now

I'm a huge fan of reggae llama after hearing it at The Mann this summer. But yeah, the studio version is sweet. I feel like Billy Breathes never really reaches what the studio sounds like. That's on some other level.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is the setlist from my first Phish show:

Set 1: Kill Devil Falls > The Moma Dance > Back on the Train, Undermind, Nellie Kane, Stash, Petrichor, Mike's Song > Bouncing Around the Room, Weekapaug Groove

Set 2: Crosseyed and Painless > Steam > Piper > Wingsuit, Sparkle > The Wedge, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Run Like an Antelope

Encore: The Ballad of Curtis Loew, Character Zero

We got Curtis Loew for an encore since we're the hometown of Lynyrd Skynyrd. It was an awesome show, with Crosseyed and Painless > Steam > Piper hitting some exceptionally beautiful moments. I got to hear Kill Devil Falls, Stash, Bouncing Aroung The Room, but I would have liked to hear Wolfman's Brother. A lot of people around me were hoping for a Tweezer, which never came. I got to hear an amazing version of Stash, which was my gateway song into liking the band, so that was excellent, and the best song of the night.

It was a great show, and I'd see them again. It was a full house, so hopefully they enjoyed the venue and will come back.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Big Boat is a Big Flop and NMINML is a bad song that needs to go out to pasture sooner than later. Highlight of the album is Blaze On being 4 mins and 20 seconds lmao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I kinda like Mercury, I wonder why it didn't make the album.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

When I gave Big Boat a listen for the first time, I thought I had accidentally put on a different album because the first song sounded nothing like Phish and didn't even have Trey on vocals. What was up with that?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bombtrack posted:

Billy Breathes, Lawn Boy, Rift, and Picture of Nectar I feel are all pretty strong start to finish.

Those are all good and so is Junta but to me Rift is really the only studio album of theirs that feels like a proper album rather than a collection of songs, in that it has a consistent atmosphere and theme, and I feel like several of the tunes on there (It's Ice and Wedge for example) come across best in studio form. The others feel more like just collections of songs and most of them are better live - a song like YEM for example just doesn't live up to it's live version when you listen to the record.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
They need to not wear out cross eyed and painless

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Those are all good and so is Junta but to me Rift is really the only studio album of theirs that feels like a proper album rather than a collection of songs, in that it has a consistent atmosphere and theme, and I feel like several of the tunes on there (It's Ice and Wedge for example) come across best in studio form. The others feel more like just collections of songs and most of them are better live - a song like YEM for example just doesn't live up to it's live version when you listen to the record.

That's fair! I think part of the appeal for me is the nostalgia value - I got into Phish back in 1994 (freshman year of high school) when a friend loaned me Junta and it just completely blew me away when I compared it to other music (90s radio stuff) I had been listening to at that point. Also since it has some songs that are long but aren't jammy (Esther, Divided Sky, Fluffhead) I still find it worth listening to when I'm looking for something different.

I'd say that Story of the Ghost and Farmhouse both feel kind of thematic to me but I agree that Rift does that the most.

rally posted:

They need to not wear out cross eyed and painless

I love me some C&P! 11.2.96 (Coral Sky DVD) and 12.31.99 (Big Cypress) are both really high on my "all-time favorite jams" list.

Franchescanado posted:

It was a great show, and I'd see them again. It was a full house, so hopefully they enjoyed the venue and will come back.

Awesome, glad to hear you had fun! We have a lot of similar tastes in Phish I think - Wolfman's/Stash are two of my favorite "set 1" songs (along with Bathtub Gin) and Tweezer is the song I go into every show hoping to hear. My first show was 12.2.95 (which had an awesome Tweezer, linked below) with my brother for my birthday, but since I didn't have any friends who liked them I never really sought out more concert. I didn't actually start downloading and listening to live Phish until 2005, which was right after they broke up. My second show wasn't until 5.31.09, which means I had a fourteen year gap in between shows. Hopefully your next show comes sooner than mine did :j:

I'm so glad there's an active Phish thread again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaMCmqdEsg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

has there been the semi-annual "tweezer off" yet in this iteration of the thread? cause 6x tweezer from MWP a couple years ago is def the best one of modern (probably even v2) Phish.

• Locked thread