Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Mainly use to do second shift work but, with my field change, I started to experience the 9-5 work day even during internships and the like. Not better or worse, since it's preferable to too much down time. Didn't even mind the train commute, although the trip back could be pretty packed during peak travel hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I'm in upper management so I just work 10-4.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sounds like you might have a chance of being the head of a major corporation

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I spent years in retail, I'm so happy with my 7 to 4 job Monday through Friday. gently caress having to check schedules and not getting two days off in a row.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in my office from 9-5 but if I work more than 1 hour during any given day, then that is a busy day for me

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My job is posting on gbs and has no bound hours.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

notZaar posted:

I have a 7 to 3:30 job does that count?

Same here. It feels good tbh.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
8-5 office job as a support tech here with a rotating evening shift. I like it and the regular evening shift gives me a perfekt excuse to not be social for a week!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
8:30am-7pm, four day work week master race here :dukedog:

Banking life bitchez.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This is probably somewhat ignorant of me but I consider a salaried office job to be the default for any adult in a first-world country. It's not that I look down on anybody it's just that whenever I hear anybody talking about work I assume they mean sitting at a desk in an office. It's what most people I know do. It's what my parents did and most of my childhood friends' parents did and probably what most of my childhood friends are doing now. I'm a middle-class white person you see.

Its hard for me to imagine that, because even among people with professional education, it seems 9-5 is kind of a rarity now. Medical professionals are one good example: Doctors and nurses and everyone else in medicine often have to work nights and weekends. Nurses, in particular, have to work especially weird schedules, often working a week on and a week off.

IT is another field where people have to work around the clock.

Academics, as well. Engineers, architects, scientists, mechanics, all of these people do professional jobs but don't work in offices.

Like, I am guessing that the people who do come from Connecticut, where there aren't really any natural resources, and all the jobs are just...working in an insurance company?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So many doctors are going into independent practices now that I imagine they're generating their own 9 to 5 jobs

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Dandywalken posted:

So many doctors are going into independent practices now that I imagine they're generating their own 9 to 5 jobs

You can imagine that all you want, do you have any statistics to back that up?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I work from home. So sometimes it's 9-5 and sometimes it's more like 11-7 :coal:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

12.5 hour shifts, so when you see me shitposting en masse it's because I have to make up for lost time

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I'm a coder. I work when I feel like it mainly. I generally come in at least a half hour late. I come in the side door so Lumsford doesn't see me...

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This is probably somewhat ignorant of me but I consider a salaried office job to be the default for any adult in a first-world country. It's not that I look down on anybody it's just that whenever I hear anybody talking about work I assume they mean sitting at a desk in an office. It's what most people I know do. It's what my parents did and most of my childhood friends' parents did and probably what most of my childhood friends are doing now. I'm a middle-class white person you see.

is there a such thing as a salaried job that isn't a 60+ hour per week torture marathon? because in my experience the reason that most employers want you on salary is so that you're basically their slave

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Get some policy analyst type job and people will think you're essential but won't know what you really do. I don't even know what I do but what I do is really important nonetheless apparently

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
now im getting bored, gonna go outside for a stroll and rip a bowl then just coast the rest of the afternoon till quiting time

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

City of Tampa posted:

is there a such thing as a salaried job that isn't a 60+ hour per week torture marathon? because in my experience the reason that most employers want you on salary is so that you're basically their slave

I probably work 35 hours/week but my company is fairly unique in that they advocated for a good work/life balance for employees.

Well they did before the founder died and VCs bought us up and started squeezing. But they still can't make me work 40+ because I can knock out in 10 what takes most people 40.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
11pm - 9am wrangling tards with an occasional 18 hour 3pm - 9am shift thrown in there. we dont have breaks, you pee on your own time when things have calmed down and you can, same with eating. group homes/social services fuckibg sucks please kill me

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I go back and forth with 4 9p-9a shifts, 3 5p-1a shifts, and 1 1a-9a shift in a two week cycle.
The twelve hours are either the weekend or the friday/monday around it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

City of Tampa posted:

i get a salary and haven't worked even 40 hours in a week in years

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

Its hard for me to imagine that, because even among people with professional education, it seems 9-5 is kind of a rarity now. Medical professionals are one good example: Doctors and nurses and everyone else in medicine often have to work nights and weekends. Nurses, in particular, have to work especially weird schedules, often working a week on and a week off.

Academics, as well. Engineers, architects, scientists, mechanics, all of these people do professional jobs but don't work in offices.

Like, I am guessing that the people who do come from Connecticut, where there aren't really any natural resources, and all the jobs are just...working in an insurance company?

Close, I'm in that region and at an insurance company

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Wow you folks have some weird jobs. I'm an engineer in a manufacturing facility and it's as vanilla as it gets. Maybe try getting normal jobs if you're doing unpaid overtime.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

glowing-fish posted:

what do natural resources have to do with anything, its not like we manufacture poo poo in this country anymore, everything is service or entertainment. Most IT people I know work office hours, unless you are referring to like help desk call centers or something. Unless you are some kind of specialized professional that needs to be on call all the time, if you aren't working normal office hours you are probably working at some poo poo job or managing people working a poo poo job (which in and of itself is a poo poo job)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
8:30-5:00 with a half hour for lunch. No one has ever asked me to work a minute over 40 hours in a week or to be on call/checking email outside of that time window. One of the few bright spots about this job.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

City of Tampa posted:

Yeah, I average closer to 36 a week. Salary is great so long as you don't work on the lower range

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

JakeP posted:

what do natural resources have to do with anything, its not like we manufacture poo poo in this country anymore, everything is service or entertainment.

Apparently you are posting via time machine from watching a Michael Moore film in 2003 or something? Because that "we don't manufacture anything in this country anymore" thing is a real clever talking point in the early 2000s.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The other day I was at the zoo and I saw the captive animals pacing the cage pathetically, and I realized i do the same thing at the office to kill time.

Zoos and offices: utterly inhumane.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
ok back at my desk now, feeling much better and listening to steely dan atm thinking about what i could do now

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I have been at the office for 40+hours/week many times. I have never eorked for 40+hours tho :v:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Wow you folks have some weird jobs. I'm an engineer in a manufacturing facility and it's as vanilla as it gets. Maybe try getting normal jobs if you're doing unpaid overtime.

here's a handy engineering tip: the area under a curve is, like, some calculus or something. it's probably around 5 or so

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Yep. "work" 8-5 as far as schedule goes, but I basically show up whenever I want, take a lunch or don't - I just do my job when I need to.

Currently, if that means I get an email about a case or a problem at 10pm, I answer it - even though I'm "not getting paid for that time" because it gives me more free reign to gently caress off and maybe only be "at" the office for 37-38 hours a week and nobody jumps my case about being on time, taking the occasional small nap at my desk, et cetera.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't get a laptop or phone from work so they can't even bug me at home }:-)

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

glowing-fish posted:

Apparently you are posting via time machine from watching a Michael Moore film in 2003 or something? Because that "we don't manufacture anything in this country anymore" thing is a real clever talking point in the early 2000s.

We don't manufacture poo poo here, and when a company does manufacture here it is a niche company who makes sure to point out that it is made in america because thats such a unique concept. A lot of companies pretend to manufacture here by having all of their parts manufactured elsewhere and complete assembly here so they can say "Made in America"

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

WampaLord posted:

Does everyone posting that they have a literal 9-5 job get a paid lunch break?

Because every job I've ever worked is never just 8 hours, it's 8.5 or 9 hours due to having a 30 minute or 1 hour lunch break.

My job right now is 9-6 because I get an hour for lunch. I have never had a literal 9-5 job.

10 hour work day, lunch is when ever we get a chance to eat, so technically a payed lunch.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

JakeP posted:

We don't manufacture poo poo here, and when a company does manufacture here it is a niche company who makes sure to point out that it is made in america because thats such a unique concept. A lot of companies pretend to manufacture here by having all of their parts manufactured elsewhere and complete assembly here so they can say "Made in America"

Have you ever thought about how greedy CEOs have destroyed the great American middle class?

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I work 7:30-4 M-F with some overtime here and there. I do compliance testing for electronic devices and our customers generally don't like working any later than 4:30.

We also get lunch ordered for us at no charge every day. It's a really great perk except that it's making me fat.

Also this is from the first page, but this:

naem posted:

I've noticed that the more money someone has the more they think that is "normal." Tech people in the Bay Area earning $250k act like that is a normal middle class income for a 25 yr old and if you point out that is in the top 5% of incomes they look confused and dopey and cock their head sideways like a dog

Is absolutely true regardless of where you live. Ten years ago I talked with the mother of one of my friends, a critical care RN who makes 100-150k in MN, about my post college plans. She was completely dumbfounded that I was going to rent an apartment ("you're just throwing your money away!"), that I didn't have a down payment saved up ("oh that's easy to do!"), and that I couldn't buy a new car with cash only like she did.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

Ok that's mostly true but not entirely, there are still some manufacturers here that make regular stuff for example at my company we make capital equipment for factories and sell it all over the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I had a 9-5 but now I am a stay at home dad and life is a whole lot better. As I type this twins are napping and I am watching Mad Men, when they wake up we are going to the club's pool for a BBQ while the rest of the world is still working.

feels good.

• Locked thread