Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

glowing-fish posted:

Have you ever thought about how greedy CEOs have destroyed the great American middle class?

You are the one turning this into some radical conspiracy thing. I just pointed out that a lack of natural resources has very little impact on what work is available in a country that is significantly more service industries than manufacturing, especially when you bring up Connecticut as your example, which is part of the main tech job hub of the North East US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

glowing-fish posted:

Its hard for me to imagine that, because even among people with professional education, it seems 9-5 is kind of a rarity now. Medical professionals are one good example: Doctors and nurses and everyone else in medicine often have to work nights and weekends. Nurses, in particular, have to work especially weird schedules, often working a week on and a week off.

IT is another field where people have to work around the clock.

Academics, as well. Engineers, architects, scientists, mechanics, all of these people do professional jobs but don't work in offices.

Like, I am guessing that the people who do come from Connecticut, where there aren't really any natural resources, and all the jobs are just...working in an insurance company?

If you just mean literally going to work from 9 in the morning to 5 in the evening or even working only 40 hours a week then yes that's pretty rare these days in the US. But that's just working extra hours, it's usually not shift work which it sounded to me like what you were describing.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
0600-1430 M-F working on big black phallic projections of power for this crazy uncle I have. Occasional shift work. Waking up early is hard to get use to, but it's nice to have most of the afternoon / evening. Getting out at 5pm leaves no time for anything.

I worked retail / food in college, and yeah other hours and/or working weekends suck.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I work seven jobs, a combined 170 hours a week, through a complex scheme of work-at-home, computer programs I paid people to write that do half my job duties for me, and illegally shipping most of the other half of my job duties over seas.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I used to work retail from 11pm to 6 am. It was loving sweet. We had only 10 or so customers an hour during that time and they were always busy so they would leave quick and not buy much. I could just stock some shelves and then sit around at the front until customers showed up.

Then you go home at 6 and sleep until 11 or noon. Good poo poo. The best.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The Skeleton King posted:

I used to work retail from 11pm to 6 am. It was loving sweet. We had only 10 or so customers an hour during that time and they were always busy so they would leave quick and not buy much. I could just stock some shelves and then sit around at the front until customers showed up.

Then you go home at 6 and sleep until 11 or noon. Good poo poo. The best.

sounds boring as poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i work 7 to 4. i'm not a huge fan of waking up at 5:45 but it is pretty cool not having as much traffic on the commute.

i used to have a 4am to 1pm job. that fuckin' cold sucked. i remember the schedule got shifted to 5 to 2 after like four months and even though it doesn't seem like a huge difference, it felt like it.

i'd never look down on someone for keeping "odd" hours. part of that is my old man used to be a bus driver who did night shifts, so i've always been used to people working different hours.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

JakeP posted:

sounds boring as poo poo

not really, I'd just play games on my phone like everyone else while waiting for customers or other poo poo. Manager didn't care.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I had a 9-5 but now I am a stay at home dad and life is a whole lot better. As I type this twins are napping and I am watching Mad Men, when they wake up we are going to the club's pool for a BBQ while the rest of the world is still working.

feels good.

i've heard of dropping the kids off at the pool but this is ridiculous

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I had a 9-5 but now I am a stay at home dad and life is a whole lot better. As I type this twins are napping and I am watching Mad Men, when they wake up we are going to the club's pool for a BBQ while the rest of the world is still working.

feels good.

:lol: you piss boil

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

feels good.

Is it emasculating having to ask your wife for money?

Don't get my wrong, I would be totally down to be with a woman who makes more money than me, but what's it really like?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My office does emergency management (law enforcement and federal stuff) so we are 24/7.
It's a pretty interesting gig and I genuinely like most of it but none of us are paid well and our schedules are subject to the whim of... some elder god.

90% of my days are spent doing rote paperwork, intelligence/data analysis and browsing the dankest of memes. Maybe a total of two hours of work each day and no management staff breathing down our necks to be more productive.
The few if us who are self-starters spend a lot of our free time building internal products to make our job easier. Everyone else is content to coast as long as possible.

10% of the time is, as mentioned before, managing actual emergencies (or things that may be ramping up to something big) so it's very stressful but fairly rewarding.

My schedule changes on a "permanent" basis twice a year or so but fluctuate quite a bit because we have to cover other people since our staff is so small.

I like working nights. 12-8 or 1-9 is choice.
However, since we cannot leave our office unoccupied, we are expected to work through our official lunch and breaks. I've eaten 2/3 meals per day at my desk with a face full of spreadsheets and police reports.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

feels good.

this works out great for 2-3 years, and then your wife will start banging some dude at work because she doesn't see you as a real man anymore

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i work time for money

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I work 7:30-4 M-F with some overtime here and there. I do compliance testing for electronic devices and our customers generally don't like working any later than 4:30.

We also get lunch ordered for us at no charge every day. It's a really great perk except that it's making me fat.

Also this is from the first page, but this:

Is absolutely true regardless of where you live. Ten years ago I talked with the mother of one of my friends, a critical care RN who makes 100-150k in MN, about my post college plans. She was completely dumbfounded that I was going to rent an apartment ("you're just throwing your money away!"), that I didn't have a down payment saved up ("oh that's easy to do!"), and that I couldn't buy a new car with cash only like she did.

I've noticed this is also the case when it comes to what work entails, as well as money. People in office jobs often take it for granted that travelling for work, going to conferences, and having meeting and tasks that don't have an immediate purpose are normal parts of work. So, someone in a managerial or professional position might take it for granted that being paid to fly to a conference in another city, then coming home and having a week of training, followed by meetings and committees and working on nebulous projects is normal, and don't understand that in other people's jobs, it is a case of "Every day, I have to set these chairs up, and that is what I do, and if I don't do it, it doesn't get done"

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Is it emasculating having to ask your wife for money?

Don't get my wrong, I would be totally down to be with a woman who makes more money than me, but what's it really like?

Nah it doesn't bother me one bit that she makes more money than I do (I actually work super part time as a grant writer for a museum). She is a doctor and had to go through 4 years of residency and 3 more of fellowship to get where she is today, plus our kids had a bunch of medical issues when they were born so it wasn't like the MD was about to quit her job to take care of them.

I think as women become better educated there will be more stay at home dads out there. In her profession (OB/Gyn) the husbands more often than not stay home with their kids.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I wish i was a stay at home dad

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

jon joe posted:

I work seven jobs, a combined 170 hours a week, through a complex scheme of work-at-home, computer programs I paid people to write that do half my job duties for me, and illegally shipping most of the other half of my job duties over seas.

oh you read the 4 hour workweek huh?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I work for a industrial services company on a casual project by project basis so my hours are what ever dumb bullshit the client dreams up, anywhere from 5-15 or 6-20 on generally 15+ day continuous stretches and then sweet oblivion of time off for days or weeks in a row. upside is that often I do literally nothing for days in a row too, most recent project I billed 135 hours and actually worked for about 5.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I should be working 9-5. The reality of my job is I work from home or a cafe most of the time and go to the office when I have to.
Because of this I have developed a crippling coffee addiction and some days I have enormous amounts of stress to meet deadlines. I'm getting better at budgeting my time, but holy poo poo I need to spring and buy office space in biking distance or something.

I do data analysis and technical writing (grants, papers, ect) for various university research projects.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i usually work about 5 - 2, but i also get a lot of OT. its pretty sweet to get out of work before the rush hour.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

jsoh posted:

I work for a industrial services company on a casual project by project basis so my hours are what ever dumb bullshit the client dreams up, anywhere from 5-15 or 6-20 on generally 15+ day continuous stretches and then sweet oblivion of time off for days or weeks in a row. upside is that often I do literally nothing for days in a row too, most recent project I billed 135 hours and actually worked for about 5.

Currently have a great gig where I bill my own hours. I bill for about 40/hr a week on a steady basis and when I think about it I do maybe 5 hours of serious work, the rest is me trying to figure out problems in my head. It's nice because I can hold another full-time position as well.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I used to work 9 to 6 but my job adds 10% to my check if I work till 7pm. So now I work 10 to 7 and make over 30 an hour.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

I work like 9:45-5 and get paid a little over 400K

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I work 9-5 but I have a real job, in a skilled trade, suck it OP.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah i have and do currently though we got flextime i basically do 8-4 actually

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
i just started a new job and my boss called someone a bitch within seconds of meeting me. and a coworker yelled "gently caress" before 9 so i think thats a good sign. i wore a suit to the interview.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

oh you read the 4 hour workweek huh?

;)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ORIGINAL GANGSTER posted:

I work like 9:45-5 and get paid a little over 400K

An hour?!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
this imaeg macro sums up my job p well:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

glowing-fish posted:

How many of you have a 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, 40 hour a week job?

In my life, I've had I had lots of different jobs, from "Gardener" to "Professor", but only for one brief time did I work office hours. (For three weeks at a very small ISP/computer store in the year 2000). I don't know many people who work 9 to 5 jobs, either.

I do know that the minority of people who have managed to wrangle themselves a job working regular hours, with regular duties, in a regular office, do still assume its kind of normal, and look down on people with irregular hour jobs because we aren't waking up at the same time as them. Like "haha, wait, you were still at home on 10 AM on a Tuesday? Wow, what a lazybones!". Like, do these people realize that when they go into a supermarket at 10 PM on a Saturday night and their is a cashier there, that that person is working on the weekends but not all week?

Anyway, I want to see what people think of this. Are there still a lot of office workers working traditional hours, and I just don't run into them?

Mine is more like 8:10 - 3-15 although I sometimes have to take grading home, etc.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I try to do 7-3:30 every day but im lazy and undisciplined so usually ends up being 8-4:30.

I used to work restaurant split shift bullshit and god drat that was the worst

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

JakeP posted:

We don't manufacture poo poo here, and when a company does manufacture here it is a niche company who makes sure to point out that it is made in america because thats such a unique concept. A lot of companies pretend to manufacture here by having all of their parts manufactured elsewhere and complete assembly here so they can say "Made in America"

Same thing in most countries.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Muscadine Wine posted:

Same thing in most countries.

Yeah I am not here making a statement about the state of the US industries, the only reason I brought it up was because the OP suggested that a lack of natural resources in an area meant that the only job available was accountant, as if natural resources really affect local industries anymore

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys also have assholes in the office who think it's funny and cool to say "happy Friday"?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

Do you guys also have assholes in the office who think it's funny and cool to say "happy Friday"?

Friday owns

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

City of Tampa posted:

this works out great for 2-3 years, and then your wife will start banging some dude at work because she doesn't see you as a real man anymore

This is also true of working a 9 to 5. Get a real job, schlubs.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

friday is happy so i'm not sure what your beef is with these types of people but yes every office has them. same thing with "must be monday"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

notZaar posted:

Why you havin' a case of the Mondays on a Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

friday is happy so i'm not sure what your beef is with these types of people but yes every office has them. same thing with "must be monday"

Friday isn't a holiday though.

• Locked thread