Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

what are some examples of ways you've handled money well? if you think you're bad with money: why? what happened to make you think that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't look at prices and I buy whatever i feel like at the time based on my desires. i have burned through most of my savings and im suicidal. i am not good with money.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also i owe the IRS like $25000

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah

If I had more money I would be worse with it though

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
on the one hand I spend too much money on weed and useless poo poo like LEGO

on the other my portfolio is up 24% YTD which beats the poo poo out of most pro managers so

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
sometimes i see things i want and then, i dont buy them

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I was bad at handling money until I looked at a half dollar and the ghost of Ben Franklin came out and he told me about keeping a budget.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Moridin920 posted:

on the one hand I spend too much money on weed and useless poo poo like LEGO

how much is too much?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Really good with money. I only ever buy generic brand milk and sugar because it's all produced under the same set of standards, so why pay more for the same thing? After doing this for a few short weeks I was able to afford a something awful account.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pig slut lisa posted:

how much is too much?

Few hundred bucks a month (mostly on the weed though). Kinda just poor impulse control..

For example, I'ma buy this when it comes out: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Disney-Castle-71040

Idk then again at least I'm not wasting my money running out and buying the new phone and stuff. I spend frivolously on a few hobbies and that's about it. I have a friend who blows $500+/mo just at the bars

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Friginator posted:

I was bad at handling money until I looked at a half dollar and the ghost of Ben Franklin came out and he told me about keeping a budget.

a penny saved is a penny earned plus interest (if you save the penny in a savings account)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
My butt is my bank. Wanna make a deposit?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I'm pretty good with it tbh, whenever I pay with credit cards I flip the card out really quickly and then make a swoosh with my arm and then do the pin code in like 600ms like a ninja and the cashier always looks at me like 'wow, this person is special'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
ah, another rear end-penny enthusiast?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

pig slut lisa posted:

what are some examples of ways you've handled money well? if you think you're bad with money: why? what happened to make you think that?

There's no specific example, my funds are just solid as gently caress and always have been.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My job matches my 401k contributions up to 7% and I have dumped 10% in since I started here 8 years ago so now I'l be rich unless my wife divorces me and takes it all.

I saw a lady driving a corvette the other day with a license plate that said "his401klol". But those are like 50 grand? So his 401k sucked and she was ugly. Either way she better stay away from me or I'll punch her right in the face.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I don't make a lot of money.
I also don't spend a lot of money.

Money and life is easy if you don't koyaanisqatsi the gently caress out of it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

There's no specific example, my funds are just solid as gently caress and always have been.

you must be a very dilligent saver

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

dad gay. so what posted:

I don't look at prices and I buy whatever i feel like at the time based on my desires. i have burned through most of my savings and im suicidal. i am not good with money.

same

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

William Stoner posted:

I don't make a lot of money.
I also don't spend a lot of money.

Money and life is easy if you don't koyaanisqatsi the gently caress out of it.

i'm pretty sure it's impossible to be happy if you're not ordering off amazon at least once a day

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mozi posted:

i'm pretty sure it's impossible to be happy if you're not ordering off amazon at least once a day

what do you like to buy on Amazon?

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I had plenty of money until I got the dude wipes dash button:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

pig slut lisa posted:

what do you like to buy on Amazon?

i bought an aeropress drying rack a couple of days ago

um... i bought a 12-pack of squirrel corn logs too

needless to say i'm currently in ecstatic bliss

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm very bad with money actually

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

signalnoise posted:

I'm very bad with money actually

oh no :ohdear: how so?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
good at spending it hahaha

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

pig slut lisa posted:

oh no :ohdear: how so?

I bought a house

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I bought a house

May god have mercy on your soul.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Ive dropped money many times (bad case of SHS - slipery hand syndrome)

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
My Dad passed and left a decent inheritance and I put most of it in a mutual fund so I'll wake up rich in 20 years or so.

My Mom lectured me about being obsessed with money. She wanted me to buy an $80,000 luxury car like my cousin did when he got a sizable windfall.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

bloodysabbath posted:

My Dad passed and left a decent inheritance and I put most of it in a mutual fund so I'll wake up rich in 20 years or so.

My Mom lectured me about being obsessed with money. She wanted me to buy an $80,000 luxury car like my cousin did when he got a sizable windfall.

The more I learn about personal finance the more I realize the people with nice things are often not people with a lot of money.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I am excellent with money. I spend some, but when I go to an ATM more and more just keeps coming out every time :smuggo:

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

On a serious note, the best thing I have ever learned how to do with money is develop a discipline of using credit lines in a proper way, investing in good quality items (saving for $350 boots instead of buying awful $60), and keeping a solid safety fund so I don't go into emergency debt ever.

A lot of good money handling is understanding the poverty traps a lot of people fall into or are unfortunately born into.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

William Stoner posted:

The more I learn about personal finance the more I realize the people with nice things are often not people with a lot of money.

It has and continues to amaze me, what people want more than money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

pretty much

I see a lot of "I got X from windfall, how should I use it" and I tell them to take 5-10% to spend on what they want and stick most of the rest in relatively low risk okay yield things and a loooot of the time the response is 'but idk I was gonna take this $300k and spend it on a super 6 month Europe trip what do you think?' and I kinda just give a weak smile and shrug and go 'well if you want to blow it all.'

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How much money we talkin?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I am excellent with money.

For example, one way I learned to save money is to:

1) buy bread at panera
2) go to a salad bar for lunch
3) use the bread with the salad in order to make a sandwich

Now I have a sandwich for lunch but I only went to a salad bar!

:homebrew:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

William Stoner posted:

On a serious note, the best thing I have ever learned how to do with money is develop a discipline of using credit lines in a proper way, investing in good quality items (saving for $350 boots instead of buying awful $60), and keeping a solid safety fund so I don't go into emergency debt ever.

A lot of good money handling is understanding the poverty traps a lot of people fall into or are unfortunately born into.

also good advice

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stinky_Pete posted:

1) buy bread at panera

Your life is a point and click adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Stinky_Pete posted:

1) buy bread at panera

I dont think this is right... a sandwhich needs meats on it. Reported

• Locked thread