Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Cast:

Bastion the Bull, played by The Nabster

Conflux the Nova, played by Rauri

Edelweiss the Protege, played by ShootaBoy

Park Jae Hwan the Delinquent, played by Frgrbrgr

-----------------------

It’s an average day in Halcyon City. A large panel of the city shows the larger buildings of the city set against the clear skies . Zooming in closer, down to street level, a helicopter hovers above the First National Halcyon Bank as several cars screech to a halt in front. A large amount of people wearing ski masks and shirts with the number 99 on them pour out and rush into the bank.

Meanwhile outside the bank are you guys, seeing all this go down. Looks like they picked the worst time (for them at least) to rob this bank. It doesn’t take too long to figure out who is behind this - the helicopter is the Plasmacoptor, owned by Dr. Plasma. But from what you guys know he generally tends to work alone, and the 99 number on the rest doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of his theme. Something’s going on here.

Who here is taking the lead?

Bastion: When you encountered Dr. Plasma before, what did The First Guardian say about him? What did The Last Crusader say?

Conflux: Dr. Plasma was once a scientist before an accident with a fusion reactor granted him his powers. What did you hear about him from the scientists at Halcyon Institute about him after the last time you guys fought that might come in handy now?

Edelweiss: What did Zugora think of you taking Dr. Plasma’s Unobtanium? He’s been around for a while - what has her experiences with him been like?

Park Jae Hwan: When you took Dr. Plasma’s Unobtanium, what potential evidence did you leave behind? Are you worried about him finding out?

-----------------------------------

OOC Thread

Influence Sheet

Put your character sheet in a quote block at the bottom of your first post and keep it updated as you gain advances

Generally you can do one roll/significant action per post, ask me if you want to do more

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
People

Curator, The - Man who owns the museum Bastion works at and takes care of him, is a powerful magician.

Doctor Cosmos - Blind and quiet man who used to be world's most famous astral explorer.

Doctor Dragon - Dragon supervillian who attacked Conflux's school but was defeated by her.

Doctor Lynn Adams - Took Conflux in after the incident, works at the University as a Professor of Metahuman Biology. Is helping Conflux control her powers, but tends to view her as a research subject first and person second.

Doctor Marcus - One of the scientists working with Conflux, believes she should not be a superhero and lets her know about it.

Doctor Plasma - Supervillian who eats Unobtainum, attacked the Mayor and had some Unobtanium stolen from him by Park and Edelweiss.

Frauline Winter - Superheroine who died fighting the Order and came back with the help of a Russian winter spirit, hates Bation but is fine with his civilian identity since she doesn't know it's him.

First Guardian - The first person to take on the mantle of the Crusader, talks to Bastion

Isabella "Psycho Queen" Diaz - School counsler who has the power to manipulate emotions. In the past used her powers for her own selfish benefit, now tries to help Park with his powers.

Jeff Johnson - Conflux's brother. Got thrown through a wall when younger but recovered. Hasn't been in to see her.

Johnsons, Mr and Mrs. - Conflux's parents who had an argument after she burned down the house. Haven't been in to see her.

Lady of Red - Leader of the the Order.

Last Crusader - Previous Crusader who was turned evil by the Order.

Order of Our Sanguine Lady - Religious order that has become corrupt and turned the Crusader evil.

Park Jae-yo - Park's uncle, normal guy who manages cleaning in buildings downtown. Usually too busy with work/sleep to do more for Park.

Rino - One of Mrs. Diaz's friends who gets more powerful the angerier he gets.

Scarlet Letter - Old woman who uses magical runes.

Trevor, novitiate - Friend of Bastion, has incredible healing powers.

Uncle Joel - Edelweiss's uncle who knows abuot her being a superhero and training with Zugora. Not a huge fan of it, but still is okay with her doing it.

Wonderful Deadman Seven - Group of evil sentai

Zugora - Edelweiss mentor, has powerful armor and elemental control. Doesn't like dealing with regular people.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 29, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

Well, I guess I'm leading? 'Cause Conflux is just not the leader-y type, we know each other well enough that I can tell, and Mr. Zen is too... well zen, to really lead. It's not a bad thing! It's just... how it is. Bastion could maybe do it, but then there's the whole, 'every other person like him has been a baddie' thing and I'm just not sure it's a great idea. So I guess that makes me leader by process of elimination. Yay me?

And ugh, why did it have to be this guy? After what happened with his Unobtanium Zugora kiiiinda read me the riot act. Well, as much as she can with the Jedi Master thing she has. But I got the gist of it. I think. I'm pretty sure she was actually happy with the stealing itself, and the outcome, but a lot less impressed with our methods. I think that if we'd got it done without the huge riot, she'd have been pretty pleased with me. Which is... interesting to think about. Anyways, she kinda has a bit of a history with Plasma, he's one of those villains that's like a local fixture. Like I think he used to tangle with some of the Golden guys back in the day, so they've clashed a lot over the years. Lots of time it's been over tech stuff, my guess is he's looking for upgrades to his own gear, and probably some easy way of synthesizing Unobtanium, he can't really walk down to the store to get breakfast after all. I don't think Zugora really classifies him as a 'big time villain' mostly 'cause his crimes are all pretty focused and self-contained. And that makes me think that we can totally handle him, even with the snag of these 99 guys!

So anyway, we're standing there, watching these guys pick the worst time for their robbery. It's our time to shine! Thankful once again for Zugora having a set of communicators ready for us, I tab open our channel.

"Ok, guys, looks like it's officially go time. Our mission: Stop the baddies. Uh, basic plan is uh, Jae and Bastion on these 99 weirdos, Conflux can deal with the Plasmacoptor if he tries something, and uh I'll help where it's needed, I guess. B-but remember that plans change, like a lot! And, and keep an ear open for comms, we need to keep our team work up!"

Ugh, that was terrible. I'm the worst leader. Well, it's too late to back out now. Uh I guess I'll start with a quick overview of everything? A few quick fiddles with my controls and a small opening in one of the Edelweiss's shoulders appears, and after a second a small canister is fired out and way up into the air. One it hits a programmed height, it lets a parachute out. So now I've got top down view of the field, which I quickly shrink and shove into the bottom left corner of my HUD. Yes it's totally a minimap. Now let's see what's up.

(1:45:22 AM) ShootaBoy: Assess the Situation
(1:45:22 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(1:45:25 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 2+2 = 4
Welp. At least I still get one question. What here is in the greatest danger? Also marking potential.

quote:

Hero Name: Edelweiss
Secret Identity: Fiona Meek
Mask: Protege
Look: Woman, White, Lean body, Casual clothes, Protective wear

Abilities
Shared: Powerful Armor
Mine: Weapons and Gadgets
Mentor's: Elemental Control

Mentor:

Name: Zugora
Embodies: Savior
Denies: Mundane

Labels
Freak 0
Danger -1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves

Be Mindful of Your Surroundings
When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Fireside Chat
When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Venting Frustration
When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Captain
When you enter battle as a team, add an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if you are the leader.

Mentor's Resources
A hidden base, communicators, security systems

Advances Taken
Captain

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you were a good leader or effective team mate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you and take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 team to the pool.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 19, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Freak: 0 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +2
Afraid | Angry | Guilty | Insecure | Hopeless
Potential: 1/5

Listen

quote:

Playbook: The Delinquent

Look: Man, Korean, jaded eyes, no costume, casual clothing
Abilities: Your powers are messy, deceiving, or frustrating.

Empath - Jae is an empath, able to sense the emotions and mental states of those around him. Over time, he found that with effort, he could change those emotions, controlling others to an extent, nudging them as he pleases. This ability extends into their powers as well, and he's discovered ways to overcome their emotions in such a way as to shut down their powers, or limit them to an extent.
  • Emotion Control
  • Power Negation

Labels
Freak 0
Danger 0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves

Criminal Mind - When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
  • What here is useful or valuable to me?
  • How could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
  • What's the best way in/way past?

Troublemaker - When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking action, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Are you watching closely? - When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2.
  • You get an opportunity.
  • You expose a weakness or flaw.
  • You confuse them for some time.
  • You avoid further entanglement.
On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you're cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them influence over you, and ask them who they'd like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Moment of Truth

This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

The city always seems so busy at times like these. Good weather brings people out to the streets, flooding sidewalks with a torrent of people of all different sizes and shapes. I love moments like this. Engulfing myself in the group consciousness of Halcyon City. That person going shopping for their elderly mother. This person late for a business meeting with a potential investor. And here's another - a child - desperately seeking for her father. Interested, I take a look under the hood. Fear, yes, but also worry for her father, who rarely ever leaves her alone. But joy as well.. ah, there it is. A promise of a new treat for her, or maybe a toy?

I raise an eyebrow, and with it, her spirits. Your father will return, I nudge into her subconscious. Everything is going to be all right. Walking away, I can feel her start to fade. But just before I reach a corner, I can sense a flood of relief. I pause to look over my shoulder - there, a young girl about eight, being lifted onto her father's shoulders, clutching a new doll in her hands. I smile. Everything is going to be all right.

But a short while later, and it's clear not all is right at all.

I can sense the trouble before I see it. The random hubbub of Halcyon City is suddenly replaced by one crystal-clear thought by everybody on the street just ahead of me. Fear - Take Action - Run! Not good. This kind of groupthink can only mean one thing, and as the rush of people escaping from something ahead surrounds me, I push on nonetheless, nudging the minds of those heading my way to step around.

The crowd clears, and my finger is already up to my ear mic, as I relay information to my team. They won't be far off, this is just a routine patrol. And it's not like I'm one to engage this many goons... at least, not without laying some mental groundwork down first. Edelweiss crackles into my earpiece and lays out a plan.

poo poo... Dr. Plasma. The guy that Edelweiss and I just happened to steal a haul of Unobtanium from... and here he is. Could it be payback? No, he can't know it was us. Unless... I think hard for a second, pulling away from sensing out the goons ahead. I think back to our theft. There was that one henchman in the Plasmacopter, acting as a guard of sorts. A little twist, and I had him running scared. If Dr. Plasma had a notion that somebody messed with his emotional center... or worse, if he has a device to can track my power... it'd be easy to figure out who did it. Only two heroes in this city with that power, and the other one is retired.

I curse again under my breath, then shake my head and clear my mind. This isn't the time to worry about what Dr. Plasma might or might not know. These guys are clearly planning some big robbery, and it's my job to find out why and provide support for my team. I duck down behind a parked car on the other side of the street, out of sight from the Plasmacopter, then reach out into the minds of the goons nearby.

21:52 Ferg Jae assess the situation
21:52 Ferg !r 2d6+2
21:52 Krysmbot Ferg, 2+2 = 4
21:52 Ferg kapow!
Criminal Mind: What here is useful or valuable to me?
Hard Move
Marking Potential

My brain hits nothing but static. I curse... am I still shaken from the read of the little girl earlier? Or maybe... could Dr. Plasma have outfitted his goons with some sort of mental shielding? Either way, I'm going to be useless if I can't figure out how to use my powers. And if any of them spot me... I could be in serious trouble. I tap my mic again, "Bastion, you in position to take on the goons? I... might need some help here..."

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 10, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +0 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

It was a pretty okay day today as far as Rodney was aware, soon enough he suspected it would be an imperfect one. As of now in fact, facing down a bunch armed goons by himself, whilst Park had a severe migraine, and Edelweiss expected him to handle this since she made herself de-facto leader due to no one else stepping forward. Typical. And here is Doctor Plasma up to his tricks again, is he sour about the last encounter we had? Probably, but it doesn't matter if he is or isn't, he's robbing a bank and he can't really allow that to happen.

The voices clamored, they always clamored when battle was approaching two reached the surface.

This man suffers, deep inside his own body has turned against him Rodney looked at him, yes he did look very, tired as if it took a lot of effort to simply function. He possesses a hunger that require him to steal and rob to sustain his life on strange and eldritch substances. Be it in your powers you must ensure he sees a skilled physician for his condition, before his self-destructive lifestyle consumes him utterly. Bring him justice, but remember that the innocent must come first, and this man despite his flawed character is still someone who needs protecting, show him mercy

This man walks the streets because the heroes of this age lack the conviction to see true justice done Bastion gripped his forehead, why now? Why Him, he hoped the others weren't watching, they didn't need to think he was crazy as well as a villain in disguise. This man is an animal, they put him back in his cage to change him, but a wild creature allowed to run free and unimpeded for so long will never accept the lash of punishment, as long as he is shown mercy again and again, he will live to inflict fear and cause chaos, again and again. Kill him and be done with it once and for all child

""Bastion, you in position to take on the goons? I... might need some help here..."

Bastion snapped back to reality. "Right, got it, big distraction coming right up." He took a few steps back, and with a good run up, vaulted with the Lance of Champions towards the midst of the army of goons.

18:29 TheNabster Rolling to Engage Mans
18:29 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
18:30 Krysmbot TheNabster, 4+2 = 6
18:30 TheNabster Awwwww gonna use a Team to make that bot be a gently caress up

Oh bother he's completely shagged it! He's undershot it entirely, he'll never make it from here with his trajectory.

"Conflux! I need a lift!"

Reaching out for teammates to get +1 from team expendature. If I make it I will pick "Create an opportunity for your allies" by pulverizing the floor and scattering the 99 armed goons from the impact.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +3 | Dan: +1 | Sav: +0 | Sup: +0 | Mun: -1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: |

Wow, these guys picked a really lucky place to attack, but they've got terrible timing. Like, we were all right outside already meeting up, and then they storm the place right in front of us? It's a good thing for them that I am really, really trying to work on my precision and concentration 'cuz this place is a bank - and therefore, not the type of place that Doc Addams would appreciate me wrecking - because if they were somewhere a lot less valuable, this'd be soooo much easier for me.

Edelweiss has a pretty decent plan, and I definitely respond. "Gotcha, over!" When she's done explaining it. One Helicopter is a piece of cake for me - it's hard enough to keep those things in the air normally, now imagine what happens when someone that can produce hurricane force winds on a whim comes along - plus it means I can keep an eye on Dr. Plasma. He used to be a researcher at the institute, and honestly it's SAD what happened to him. Before his accident he was the sweetest man according to basically everybody. Like, bringing in stuff he baked himself and showing off pictures of his kids and lots of funny coffee mugs he was overly proud of... and then one accident later, and now he's constantly either homicidal or stealing technology, basically a danger to everyone around him. There has to be some way of getting through to him, something I can say to get him to stop - because if I ever go out of control, there has to be hope that people can talk me out of it, right?

A bit worried about leaving all those minions to my teammates, I gather the winds around me and then prepare to take off into the sky when Bastion calls out for aid. "Gotcha!" I respond back into the communicator immediately, moving the air about me and flowing with it to send me blasting towards my armored teammate as naturally as I breathe. The second I can see him, I extend a hand and grin, watching the tunnel of air catch him perfectly and give him the double jump he needs to catch these goons offguard and really send 'em flying. "Better tip your taxi next time though Bastion!"

Spending 1 point of Team to raise Bastion's Directly Engage to a 7

Wish I could stick around to help 'em all out more, but I've got to deal with the Doctor. Flying up towards his elaborate Plasmacopter, I do take a second to appreciate how awesome this is. High above the city, I am facing down a supervillain in a tank-top and jeans - yet with the tornado of air I have beneath me to keep me aloft, it might look like I'm the underdog and yet I'm totally not.

It'd be so easy for me to just take out the rotors right this second, send the Plasmacopter into a tailspin, but I'm not going to do either of those things. I just want to talk to him. "Doctor Williams!" That's what they told me his real name was, so I announce it as loud as I can, staring towards the cockpit where he presumably is. "You don't have to do this - people could get hurt, and they have NOTHING to do with what happened to you!" I reach out towards the ship, as if to embrace it. "Please just, land your helicopter and come back with me to the Institute. They'll be able to help you, they're helping me!"

<Rauri> Pierce Dr. Plasma's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6 - 1 = 5

quote:

Hero Name: Conflux
Secret Identity: Stacy Johnson
Mask: The Nova
Look: Woman, Mixed Heritage, Elemental Signs, Casual Clothing, Simple Costume (Shirt, Jeans, Sneakers)
Origin: Unknown
Abilities: Fundamentally alter the world via Elemental Control

Labels:
Freak: +3
Danger: +1
Savior: 0
Superior: 0
Mundane: -1

Burn
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions. Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene. Choose four flares.

Flares
Elemental Awareness
Spend 1 burn and mark a condition to open your mind up to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you, and the GM will answer honestly.

Move
Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second Burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Shielding
You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.

Worship
You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 Burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.

Moat
Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another Burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

Boost
Spend 1 burn to supercharge a teammate’s efforts with your powers, giving them a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team from the pool.

Overcharge
You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

When our team first came together…
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships
You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: happy facade. If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 14, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Current Team: 3

Edelweiss: The canister floats above the bank. You can see more of the armed robbers inside, as you look through the skylight. Currently they're in the process of getting everyone to lie down and threatening the tellers. The regular people inside are probably in the biggest danger right now.

But the view of the bank gets interrupted right as a shot rings out and your minimap is replaced with static. In addition, the computer system in your suit starts malfunctioning - seems like whatever took out that device sent something back to mess with it. Looks like a lot of your gadgets are going to be out of commission for a while. What do you do?

What is your purpose in this fight?

Park Jae Hawn: It seems like Bastion has helped you out here. One of the robbers lost his gun as Bastion struck him, and it's on the ground. Dr. Plasma is pretty hardy and has powers of his own. You could shoot him without really worrying about actually killing him. However, you suddenly feel a sense of dread. It's clearly from the robbers - Bastion just plowed into them and started knocking them around. What do you do?

Mark Afraid

Bastion: These guys have guns, but they're not really a match for you. You definitely got their attention, and you can see Dr. Plasma setting his helicopter down and trying to get past Conflux to deal with you. But you hear a gunshot from inside the bank. What do you do?

Conflux: Dr. Plasma looks surprised for a moment when you use his real name, but that ends shortly. He brings the Plasmacoptor down onto a flat section of the roof, forcing you to move away before the blades hit. As he exits he says "There is no help for me. Now get out of the way." You can't talk him out of it - and you can't help but see yourself in a similar situation in the future.

Mark Hopeless

A shot rings out and shatters the skylight. Dr Plasma first looks down into the bank, and then over at the entrance and sees Bastion. He sighs and starts heading towards the brawl. What do you do?

Do the rest of you share Edelweiss's purpose in the fight?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Hopeless

For a second I think he's actually going to listen to me as he brings his helicopter down - think he's actually listened to me because of our similarities. But then he gets out, and speaks to me, his voice firm yet full of despair, and he utterly dashes my hopes. I can hear myself saying exactly what he just did, and it's scary. Is that what happens if I lose control? It's horrible, but I can't convince myself it's not inevitable. I mean I already hurt my dad, what exactly stops me from hurting anybody else...

It's not until he steps forward that I'm brought out of my dour deliberation. He's spotted Bastion, and he's clearly moving towards him - he refused to not hurt people, and no he's after one of my teammates - and yeah, nope. I am NOT letting him hurt anybody. I asked nicely, and he shot me down. It's time to ask a little less nicely.

"You're not going anywhere!" I declare to him, reaching forward with my hand, still utilizing air since it's less likely to damage the bank (or him) than the other elements I can bring to bear. It's not hard for me to bring a tornado into existence, and I'm inverting a small one centered directly on him... basically, the eye of this particular storm is the least safe place to be, since it's about to be smacked every which way by jets of air from as many directions as I can manage at once without risking losing control. I speak again over the roar of the wind, making sure he knows exactly where he stands with me. "You don't get to hurt anyone here today - I'm stopping this right now. Give! Up!"

<Rauri> Directly Engage Dr. Plasma
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6 + 1 = 7
Impressing, surprising, or intimidating him

Do share Edelweiss's purpose for the fight, provided it's "stop the villain while preventing people from getting hurt".

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Freak: 0 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5

Bastion's charge scatters the goons, proving yet again that this whole "team thing" was the right choice. He even manages to disarm a few, sending a pistol skittering towards me under the car. I stop it with my foot. Hmmm...

Dr. Plasma lands on the roof, and walks towards the front of the building. I could easily pick up the gun right now and shoot him. It wouldn't kill him, right? But it'd hurt. And it might stop this fight right now before it even starts. But then two things happen, almost simultaneously - Conflux's head pops into view next to Plasma, and a single shot rings out from inside the bank.

poo poo! No, Edelweiss asked me to take on the goons, leave Plasma to Conflux. People inside need help. Somebody might've just died... because I was distracted. Fear starts to creep into my thoughts, amplified by Bastion's actions sending the goons outside running. Fear is a powerful emotion, one of the most primal. And it's infectious, spreading easily, corrupting the thoughts of those affected. I breath for a few seconds, trying to gain control over it, practicing one of Mrs. Diaz's mental exercises. Breath out the fear, breath in the calm, breath out the fear...

It helps, but it's not enough to remove the fear from my mind. Still, it's enough to think clearly, and that's all I really need.

07:36 Ferg Jae unleash powers to extend senses inside the bank
07:37 Ferg !r 2d6+2
07:37 Krysmbot Ferg, 7+2 = 9
Will let it be unstable or temporary... this will only take a moment

I reach out to the goons inside the bank. The fear from earlier seems to be affecting this a little bit... but there they are. I'm not sure who fired the shot, or if anybody was hit, but all I need is one thing... to send those guys running.

I reach inside myself, surrounding the fear in a bubble, then shoot it forward towards those goons. Run! - Hide! - Heroes are coming for you! - Put down your weapons! The same fear that Bastion is now instilling with his lance, the goons inside are now getting a triple dose of.

Since these are goons, scaring the poo poo out of them in an attempt to get them to stop shooting people and hopefully just give up outright.
Also, on board for Edelweiss' plans.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 31, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Outside First National Halcyon Bank --> Inside First National Halcyon Bank

'Minions scattered, hired guns reeling, and the Doctor is heading towards me'. Bastion tensed to fight, this was an experienced super-villain he was going up against, but experienced or not what he doesn't have possession of is the strength to benchpress a truck. Alright doctor lets-

A gunshot echoed in the bank.

His feet took over overriding any strategic planning from his brain. People might be getting hurt, anyone who dies under his watch will be a black mark of shame against his name. Ploughing through the goons by the entrance the doors are wrenched open by his thunderous entrance and he saw...

16:23 TheNabster Bastion's gonna kick the door in and assess the bank
16:23 TheNabster !r 2d6+1
16:23 Krysmbot TheNabster, 5+1 = 6
16:23 TheNabster Really?
16:23 TheNabster Okay

Not gonna ask for more teamwork spent on me to cover up my failures, nor do I want to use it selfishly for a mere assess roll.

No, the brain was fired up on chemicals now, there were not enough thinking neurons available to see anything going on in any real detail through the red mist. There were the goons, they were holding guns at people, lives were at stake, and he felt the weight of his obligations on his back. 'No thinking here, you don't have the time' said the little part of his brain marked fight response 'Just charge'.

Bastion charged.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 31, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

Oh geez, this has gone kinda pear shaped. The camera's down and now like, three fourths of my stuff is softlocked. I really meant to fix that error last night, but I kinda got caught up in Houkago no Love Beat, and then it was 3 am. Ok, so Conflux has grounded the Plasmacopter, I'm gonna assume that Jae is doing something useful somewhere, and Bastion... Bastion charged into the bank. Oh that's bad. That's really bad. A giant suit of armor busting in the front door is almost definitely gonna make these guys panic, and when baddies with hostages panic, the hostages get hurt.

Uh, uh, uh, what do I do? Conflux might need help, but then so does Bastion and all the people inside the bank. Think, Fiona! What would Zugora do first? Oh who am I kidding, she'd never have let it get like this in the first place. But, I know that she'd help these poor people first. Oh! The communicators! Duh! I tab the channel open again. "How you doin' Conflux? Do you need any help?" While I'm doing that I'm also switching my guns to... I think wood rounds are best here, no ricochets, and speeding up inside the bank myself. I can see Bastion charging in, and hopefully between him and me we can draw their attention away from the hostages. Once I'm in the door I move to the side away from the hostages and open fire! Not really trying to hit any of them, if I do it's just bonus points, but just trying to get them to pay attention to anything other than all these hostages.

(10:29:28 AM) ShootaBoy: Defend the Hostages
(10:29:28 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+1
(10:29:29 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 2+1 = 3
Ugh. Marking another potential. Edelweiss's purpose is to save the hostages, then stop the baddies, in that order.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Conflux: Dr. Plasma looks on in surprise as the small tornado practically forms instantly and gusts of air began pummeling him. "I don't want anyone to get hurt, but it'll probably happen." He suddenly extends an arm out, and manages to steady himself long enough to hit you with a superfast bolt of plasma energy. It knocks you back, and the wind slows down enough for him to escape it. You're powerful, but so is he and he's been around since the Golden Generation. "Not really anything I can do about it."

Mark Afraid

"And do you think you'll be a hero forever? You may have incredible powers, but how can you save others when you can't control it? Are you really going to be welcome by the rest of them if you keep causing collateral damage like you did the last time we fought?" Do you accept what he's saying? What do you do?

If you don't reject his Influence, shift Danger up and Savior down

Bastion: Your decision to take a moment to look around, even if cancelled, costs you. More shots ring out, and you feel the bullets slam into you. What do you do?

Roll to take a powerful blow

Park Jae Hwan: The good news is that you got the robbers to panic. They're going to be useless to their boss for now. The bad news is that you can sense you got the hostages too - they're freaking out and panicking as well. Plus Bastion just got shot.

The shooter is a smug looking young man with slicked back hair wearing a suit and domino mask. The gun he's using is gold or gold-plated, and as he turns to face you, you see the number 1 on the back of his suit.

"Oh, looks like we got some heroes here." You can hear the sarcasm practically dripping off his words. He looks you up and down. "Seems like the rest of them are super in some way, but what are you? Some random idiot?" Do you accept what he's saying? What do you do?

If you don't reject his Influence, shift Mundane up and Superior down

Edelweiss: As you open fire both the robbers and the hostages panic. Many of the hostages get up, right in time to catch your bullets. At least you were firing the wooden rounds right? Still, you did hurt innocent people. And now there's some new guy announcing his presence here. What do you do?

Mark Guilty

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: Inside First National Halcyon Bank

<TheNabwork> Did my roll go through at all?
<TheNabwork> No?
<TheNabwork> Alright I'll try again
<TheNabwork> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> TheNabwork, 5 = 5
<TheNabwork> Woot

Bastion lurched as the shots hit him in the back, but his armour was thick and thrice consecrated, so if even the claws of demons couldn't penetrate it then it would take more then just a mere bullet. It knocked the bloody wind out of him though, snapping his brain back to reality. As he doubled over he used the fake injury he had sustained to get a better look at the scene.

There was Park, and there was the man who shot him. Park looked afraid, the man with the gun looked smug. He put 2 and 2 together and made an instant snap judgement.

One spear, straight through the heart boy, let his complacency be his last mistake The spear hummed ever so lightly, and as he rose suddenly twisting around, hefting the spear and-

DON'T

Flipped the spear in his hand and hurled it at the gun man haft first.

TheNabphone> Bastion is gonna directly engage the gun man.
<TheNabphone> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> TheNabphone, 8 = 8
<TheNabphone> And I had +2 to that

>Impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition
>Take away his Gun.

The spear flashed out between Park and the Gunman, tearing the gun right out of his hands and flinging it against the wall. The Gun clattered on the floor, the Spear stuck into the wall haft first.

And it was followed shortly by the gunman himself, as Bastion drop-kicked the unfortunate gentlemen from across the room with both heavily plate mailed feet.

"Sod off!" Bastion called after him, landing on the floor next to Park. "Did he hurt you? I'll break his bloody arms if he did."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 1, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Current Team: 4

Bastion: As you lift the spear up, the man sees you aim the spear - and even before you flip it, says "Going to kill me? Guess you are evil after all, eh?" The remark throws your aim off, and the spear misses his gun.

He takes advantage of his Influence and gives you -2

But you go in with a dropkick and he doesn't see that coming. He gets in a few shots though.

Roll to take a powerful blow

As he lands near the wall, he takes out a circular gadget and slams it down on the ground. A force field pops up, keeping him safe as he reloads. "You think I don't have something to deal with magic? Guess again!" What do you do?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Inside First National Halcyon Bank

21:39 TheNabster Anyway shush a moment i'm getting shot in the face
21:39 TheNabster !r 2d6
21:39 Krysmbot TheNabster, 5 = 5
21:39 TheNabster Okay still tanky
21:39 TheNabster Carry on

It was a beautiful drop-kick, a truly wonderful drop-kick, and as the bullets were fired at him mid air he brought his shield around, hearing the rounds ping off of the hardened metal.

"Going to kill me? Guess you are evil after all, eh?", that really got his blood up, who the hell is this man and how is he aware of the origins of this suit. Other then maybe the infamous activities of it's former wearer. Who was standing behind a big force-field whilst he reloaded his gun. Standing in one place. Not moving.

Bastion looked at the floor, looked at the smirking man, looked back at the floor, looked back at the smirking man, and wanted to remove that smirk off of his big stupid face. So he plunged his hands into the floor.

"I'll show you a magic trick yer bastard"

22:06 TheNabster Unleashing powers to pull the old fashioned 'flip the table' manuver, with my Danger thanks to "Physics? What Physics?"
22:06 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
22:06 Krysmbot TheNabster, 6+2 = 8
22:06 TheNabster I'll mark Angry because Bastion is really unhappy about that coment
22:06 TheNabster *comment

In one motion that shook the bank to it's foundations Bastion heaved the marble floor that the gunman was standing on up from under him, and as the marble cracked and splintered into shards, lifted the whole thing up, over, and with one thunderous scream of exertion, flipped the whole thing; floor, man and stupid magical shield thing straight through the wall and out of the bank itself to land outside the bank with a resounding crash.

"WAS THAT GOOD FOR YOU YER ROTTEN BUGGER!?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 1, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Freak: 0 | Danger: 0 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 2/5

"Domino Mask" spots me, calling me out - he's clearly working with Dr. Plasma, might even be the ringleader of this little soiree.

20:13 Ferg jae reject influence
20:13 Ferg !r 2d6
20:13 Krysmbot Ferg, 6 = 6
Adjusting Mundane up and Superior down
Marking Potential and Insecure

I want to deny what "Domino Mask" says, but it rings true, even though dripping with sarcasm. I don't have a costume... I don't even have a hero name. I dunno, I just kind of got swept into this, with Psycho Queen and then this whole team thing. I'm all on board, don't get me wrong... but here I am, helpless against this guy, while Bastion is giving his all and actually fighting. What good even am I? Why am I even here?

While I wrestle internally, Bastion is laying on the pressure - breaking the bank, literally - and "Domino" is thrown out onto the street. I need to do... something, right?

But then I see Conflux, still on the roof, dueling with powers and words with Dr. Plasma. She looks scared, and I know exactly what to do. I open up a comm channel with her, "Don't let him get to you. You've been working hard to control your powers. All he does is eat lovely metal." At the same time, I blast her with some confidence... even though I lack it in myself, in her... yeah, I'm confident she can handle Plasma.

20:27 Ferg Jae support Conflux
20:27 Ferg !r 2d6+3
20:27 Krysmbot Ferg, 5+3 = 8
Mark Potential/Clear a condition/Shift Labels if you're open to Jae's words

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Hopeless Afraid, Angry | Burn: 3 2

Let's just say that I'm not all that happy right now. Just because I'm tough doesn't mean this guy isn't either, and he's clearly pretty good at his whole villainy thing. Good enough to catch me off guard, and blast me with some plasma - which sends me flying back, allowing him the time to get free. On top of what he's said, being up here all by myself, it's... I dunno, maybe he's actually right? Not about hurting people, but about me?

<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7 = 7
Marking Potential via proving him wrong

But then Edelweiss calls out to me over the communicator, and Jae does too. Just hearing them, especially the person that's most actively helping me keep myself under control... it helps a lot. This guy's wrong - my team will be there for me. They're my friends (my only friends, really) and I know they're not going to let me down. Flip side of that, I can't let them down, now can I? I don't know why I have these powers, but it's got to be for a good reason.... I can't be a coward. Time to stop playing things safe.

Burn Roll - Got an 8 in irc (don't have roll still)
Three Burn, spending one immediately, also picking up one Condition - angry
Clearing Hopeless via responding to Jae's support (see below)

"Thanks," I tell Jae over the comms, followed by "I'm fine!" I announce to the whole battlefield, my voice carried on the wind and echoing perfectly against the marble (earth) interior of the bank. If Doctor Plasma thought one measly bolt was enough to defeat me, he was wrong. If he thinks I lack control, that's a mistake. If his henchmen thought this was going to be easy, well then they were wrong too. They don't know who they're messing with - but maybe they start to get the hint when I fly back to my feet, suddenly much more focused on this whole battle. It's not that I'm not scared anymore, or that I don't think I can mess up anymore, far from it. It's just that I know my teammates believe in me, and that I have to try.

You have no idea how much I have to work with here. Stone building, metal girders and helicopters and guns, electrical energy from dozens of sources not counting static, wireless and wi-fi and radio signals, the ambient moisture, sound waves bouncing and gravity weighing down and light omnipresent... every second is an interplay of dozens of fundamental sources of energy - and I can control all of them. I tried to play this nice, I really did, but I'm DONE playing around.

"ENOUGH!" I'm literally done messing around - it's time to show everybody exactly what I can do. Hovering into the air overhead, my voice is reverberating everywhere nearby. "If you're robbing the bank, surrender right this second. I'm not asking again." Will they? They'd better. I am... it's always astounding how blind the average person is. Reality is mutable, energy flows, and I seem to be the only person sitting at the center of it all. Glaring down at Doctor Plasma in particular, I am establishing the conditions for the second half of our fight. Let's see how he likes being encased in a firewall - by which I mean a literal wall of fire, created on the spot via me - while his stupid minions run every which way in a panic.

<Rauri> Unleash Conflux's Powers
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9 + 3 = 12
<Rauri> spending a Burn to activate Worship - You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 Burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers. Reshaping environment to overcome an obstacle - namely, Doctor Plasma temporarily.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 2, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

Ahh! I'm the worst hero! I hurt the people I'm trying to save! Oh man I'm gonna get it but good from Zugora later. And the worst part is that I deserve it. I should have focused and finished the program that stops the guns from working if it's gonna hit a friendly, instead I goofed off and now people are hurt. Argh! If only more of my stuff was working! I could have done something, anything, else!

While I'm yelling at myself this #1 guy starts talking about some crap before Bastion hits him like a train, and I kinda stop paying attention to him. I think I can trust Bastion to handle one guy. Conflux has brought out the big guns, even without my sensors telling me I could notice the giant wall of fire outside. The blockwide PA system also helps somewhat. Jae is doing something useful I can safely assume. Hard to tell when someone is using emotional powers, so I just give him the benefit of the doubt and leave it at that. Baddies and hostages are running everywhere, the two villains that are real threats are both being dealt with, so that means I've gotta get these people out.

Remember how I said the Edelweiss is built off of plans for a racing mech? Well that's about to come in pretty handy, 'cause I gotta go fast! I crank up the revs and drop into high gear, and to really get a kick in the pants I toggle off the limiters, this is a bit less safe for me now, but I think the extra bit of speed is worth it. Now let's get to work.

(11:31:09 PM) ShootaBoy: Unleash the Speed!
(11:31:09 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(11:31:09 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 3 = 3
Well... at least I get potential.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Bastion: You catch a very brief glimpse of surprise right before the man goes flying out of the bank. The force field keeps him safe from slamming into the street on the way out, but shortly after he lands he stops the forcefield. It's a little hard to see him but you can see that as he's walking back to the bank he's also aiming his gun right at Park, who is currently looking at the situation between Conflux and Dr. Plasma. What do you do?

Park Jae Hwan: Conflux managed to take care of Dr. Plasma (at least for now), but you can tell that right now both the hostages and the minions are freaked out, especially with Conflux's display of power. They're watching Conflux, and apparently don't notice Edelweiss making an exit for them. What do you do?

Conflux: Right before you set up the firewall, Dr. Plasma glares at you. "You stupid child," he says. "You think you know better. But you don't. Mark my words, one day you will be abandoned by those you trusted."

Dr. Plasma uses his Influence to reduce your roll to resist his influence by 2. Shift Danger up and Savior down, and mark a Condition.

Once the wall goes up, you can hear and sense him trying to break it down. Might take a while though. What do you do?

Edelweiss: You speed up, and manage to clear a way for the hostages to follow you out. But when you're outside...you realize none of them followed you. They're still stunned by what's going on. You weren't able to do your job. What do you do?

Mark Insecure

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +3 | Dan: +2 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +0 | Mun: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Hopeless, Afraid, Angry | Burn: 2 1

I'm really starting to hate this guy - and he's definitely getting to me. Even with him trapped (temporarily) behind the ring of fire, its his words and not the echoes of my flames or the sounds of the battle that I can't stop hearing. It's... it's not true. It can't be! Just because he had some lovely lucky doesn't mean I will. I mean, my family doesn't want to see me anymore, but I still have my teammates! They, they won't leave me!

Will they? (Marking Hopeless)

Shaking my head, I don't have time to think about this now - the teammates that I'm fretting over are in real danger, and meanwhile I'm up here controlling the fundamental forces of the universe without keeping my head in the game. Now that I'm paying attention again, it's clear to me what I need to do. Doc Plasma is busy for a while, feel me? Which means we take every other piece off the board while he's in check. Let's start with the one threatening Jae, shall we?

Spending a point of burn to activate the Move flare, choosing to appear immediately behind the henchman I'm about to attack

I can't actually teleport... but did you know that, if I'm really trying, I can turn myself into living lightning? Gotta admit it's pretty cool, and yeah I've pulled it off a few times in practice, never in the field though. Know how fast lightning can move? Fast enough for me to get there in time. My body blurs, vibrates, and then I am off in a flash, the bolt of blinding electrical energy that is Me flowing just behind where Mr. Gonna Shoot My Teammate is standing - I'd flow through him, but no idea if I can actually manage that yet. Appearing behind him, I give Bastion a quick grin since he can see me - and then I open the concrete up beneath this minion, determined to bury him up to his neck in the ground he's standing on.

<Rauri> Conflux Unleash Powers
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 5 = 5 6 = 6
<Rauri> haha yikes
This failure train is going to keep on rolling - though technically we have 4 team, so if 2 people decide to help out I'm fine so please do that~
Helio said was actually Unleash and not Directly Engage, so needed 1 team instead of two to succeed. Reshaping environment temporarily.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 8, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Inside First National Halcyon Bank

Oh that's not good, if he notices... He looked at Hwan, he must see it, we know what to do.

Bastion roared and charged directly at the gunman between him and Hwan. Yeah that's right, pay attention to the man about to break your jaw, ignore the person right behind you.

Gonna spend +1 team on Conflux's roll, Park or Edelweiss help me out here.

TheNabphone> Blerg, posted early
<godfish> right Rauri????
<TheNabphone> Bastion is going to punch the gunman really hard
<TheNabphone> !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot> TheNabphone, 6+2 = 8

>Create an advantage for my teammate

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 5, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty Insecure | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

Once I hit the outside of the bank I turn around and start getting people out of the area in an orderly fashion... only nobody followed me out. Aw man. They'd have followed Zugora, no problem. She's great at this, and all I've done today is screw up. Everyone else is doing fine, I'm probably just holding them back. I don't know what Zugora see's in me anyway, this is proof enough that I'm not cut out to be a real hero.

...But that has to wait 'til later, right now I've still got work to do here. I head back into the bank and right away I can see Conflux sneaking up on Gold Number while Bastion provides a punch based distraction. Let's see if I can't help with that a bit. Let's see, no, no, no, nooo, uh... OH! Laser designator! Duh! It flickers to life on the side of the Edelweiss's head and I point it right into Gold Number's eyes. Looks like you're grounded pal! Heh.

Using 1 Team to boost Conflux's roll, Bringing it up to a 7.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Potential: 2/5

I cheer a bit as I see Conflux refocus and unleash a big ol' firewall to block in Dr. Plasma. Her "Thanks" over the comms only adds to the feeling of accomplishment. I thumb the comms again, not one to waste an opportunity, "Somebody order barbeque?"

That done, I refocus on what's going on in the street and bank. The Domino guy that Bastion was brawling with is nowhere in sight, huh, I wonder where he went. Oh well, bigger things to deal with - civvies freaking out and henchmen equally terrified by how their would-be thievery has ended up. Time to calm some fears and get people moving the hell out of here.

But first, I wait on something Rauri is doing.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Conflux: The concrete below the guy goes soft, and he begins sinking down. Problem is, you affect a larger area then you meant to - and Bastion, going in close to attack, is now sinking as well. What do you do?

Bastion: You slam into the man, and definitely stop him from hitting Park. Unfortunately the two of you are now sinking into suddenly soft concrete. While you are processing that, the man aims at you and fires. This time though there's a blue streak through the air and an almost shrieking noise as the bullet flies past your shield, armor, and into your chest. Looks like he was serious about having something to deal with magic.

Mark Afraid

"All right then idiots," the man hisses. "Deal with THIS!" He tosses a round device in the air, which immediately beings to fly towards the crowd of hostages. What do you do?

Edelweiss and Park Jae Hwan: This device is going to hit the crowd unless you do something. What do you do?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty Insecure | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

Oh crap! If videogames have taught me anything, that's a grenade! Bastion and Conflux are still busy with Gold Number, and there's nothing Jae can safely do to stop that thing. It's gotta be me. Ho boy, I am not looking forward to this. Gulp. No. You're Edelweiss. You're a hero. And right now you need to save these people!

I extend my manipulators, which look kiiiinda like a bunch of tentacles, and reach them out for the grenade. Need to catch it and either run away with it, or disarm it!

(11:32:29 AM) ShootaBoy: Defend the Hostages
(11:32:29 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6-1
(11:32:30 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 3-1 = 2
(11:32:35 AM) ShootaBoy: yeah I saw that coming
Yay, potential :geno:

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Potential: 3/5

Holy poo poo, is this fight descending into chaos. Civvies and goons running around, scared as hell. Plasma and Conflux going at it on the roof. Bastion and Dominoface now sinking into the cement.

And then Snake-eyes throws some evil-looking device at the crowd. Before I can even react, Edelweiss' manipulators snake out to catch it, but she misses completely. It flies through the air, right next to me, and all I can think about is running away. Saving myself... But I can't do that. I'm different now. And a side glance at the innocent people huddled together as the device flies towards them... for a split-second, I swear that I can see my mom there, smiling at me.

I spring from my crouch and take a few steps, breaking into a run. As the device nears me, I leap, fingers reaching to intercept the device before it gets close. This could be bad.

11:52 Ferg Jae save the day
11:52 Ferg !r 2d6-3
11:52 Krysmbot Ferg, 7-3 = 4
11:52 Ferg wonderful
Hard Move, unless everybody spends Team which probably won't fit the fiction
Get to clear Insecure at least after this
Marking potential

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry, Afraid | Location: Inside First National Halcyon Bank

Staggered, reeling, about to break. This was going so badly now, and this is a bloody normal rear end guy why won't you just stay down how can you take 3 hits like that and still function? It's getting desperate, he's attacking the hostages, this is going to go wrong.

Then start using me my boy, this man is willing to attack the innocent? Hurt him, reach across and break his neck.

It would be so easy, I can just, twist and it will be all over right?

And then I would have committed a murder.

No, no there's another way out of this. And then he remembered a lesson a while back.

*THWACK!* That was the sound the spear made as it hit the back of his head and clattered on the floor, Rodney rubbed his head. "No no no, not like that" chastised The Curator, "You keep twisting your wrist every time you throw it, that's why you keep hitting yourself around the back of the head child! You're not throwing a ball after all, keep your wrist straight."
"Sorry sir, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. But, doesn't the crest give me the martial power of every Crusader before it?"
"It's a bit more complicated then that Rodney, it adds your skill and the previous skills of it's bearers together in one bunch, but since you have no skill what so ever in any form of armed combat it seems, the crest is doing all of the work. You can't rely on it solely to defend yourself, you need to learn how to fight without the crutch."
"And, hitting tin cans with javelins is gonna make me a better fighter?"
"I'd admit as far as skills go it's a very niche skill, but if you can hit a small moving target with spear, you can hit almost anything. Now pick it up and try again."

The Spear was back in his hand, it's magic, don't ask how, the Lance will always return to it's owner once called and Bastion very desperately called it in this hour of need. Edelweiss and Jae being in the way of the small moving target didn't help, neither do the people it's heading towards, but if he couldn't hit this shot what the hell kind of defender is he?

"PISS AND VINEGAR!" Rodney shouted.

22:47 TheNabster Gonna unleash the powers, here goes
22:47 TheNabster !r 2d6+1
22:47 Krysmbot TheNabster, 7+1 = 8
22:48 TheNabster That's better
>Unstable/Temporary Effect here, I don't know how marking a condition might work with one of the ones I have left.

The Lance crackled, the sparks lept, and the spear flew. It just barely scraped between the two reaching heroes as it stabbed into the object and smashed through the ceiling on it's unstoppable trajectory into the sky. Leaving a crackling trail in it's wake, and scaring the life out of a blameless pigeon on the roof.

"Oh dear." Said Bastion as he watched the distant glittering dot. "I think I over did that a bit."

EDIT: The action technically counts as a Defend Someone action rather then a Unleash Powers action I am told, but since I am defending both my Comrade AND my Rival I can weigh in with my +2 Danger instead of my +0 Savior to make this roll a 9. Jae are you impressed by me sniping a small target out of the air in the nick of time saving you, Edelweiss and the Hostages? Or Edelweiss did I frustrate you by doing your job despite being up to my waist in concrete, severely wounded, and in the middle of a fight to make that roll count as a 10?

I choose to clear Afraid either way.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 9, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Hopeless, Afraid, Angry | Burn: 1

Oh crap, I messed up again... er, again again. Lots of agains. Just buried my teammate in the ground, I'm an emotional whirlwind, the villain's going to break free any second, and I'm not focusing enough to stop this dude from throwing a small device right next to me even it makes no sense whatsoever that he can do that. Both Edelweiss and Jae look like they might be in danger, but Bastion's got the situation well in hand it seems - even after I trapped him!

"Nice job!" I shout at Bastion, giving him a thumbs up before extending my senses all over the battlefield. I'm still feeling kinda overloaded with the subtle sensations of a dozen different elements - it's usually not this hard in practice, but this mission hasn't gone well at all and I'm kind of a mess at this point. A powerful, powerful, powerful mess... which I can't afford to be. We still have villains to beat, and I'm sure Doctor Plasma will be breaking free from the barrier I created soon, I can feel him struggling against it.

Focusing on that feeling, I'm going to see if I can't figure out SOMETHING that'll help us. Some secret weakness or pattern to his techniques and attacks, some means of me controlling them so he can't hurt anyone else... I just have to concentrate, I know I can do this!

<Rauri> Conflux Assess the Situation
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 4 = 4
<Rauri> figures

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 10, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Conflux: You try to focus on something to take advantage of, something that can help you guys out...but you can't stop worrying about Dr. Plasma and that affects your fire barrier keeping him trapped. Right before it happens, you feel that sensation you get when your powers go out of control. This time, the fire shoots out into the bank. It spreads far faster then a natural fire would, turning the building into a blazing inferno. The ceiling collapses where the hole Bastion made was, the debris cutting you two off from Park and Edelweiss. What do you do?

Bastion: You see an utter disaster happen in the bank. The villain in the cement with you starts trying to move as quick as he can, which isn't really quick at all. "Guess you guys have something to take care of, eh?" Despite his bravado, you can see he's actually trying to get away. Do you want to stop him or help out your team mates first? What do you do?

Park Jae Hwan: Things are getting really bad here. If you're going to get people out, now would be a good time. What do you do?

Edelweiss: People are quite naturally freaking out - but above that noise you can hear Dr. Plasma screaming in pain. He's still in the the firewall Conflux created, right at the source. You could help Park get people out, but you'd be leaving him in there. What do you do?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Outside First National Halcyon Bank

Look at him, smirking at me. Every fibre of my being is yelling at me to kick nine kinds of crap out of that smug expression, knock his teeth right up, slam him into a police cell.

And where would that leave those hostages and my teammates, trapped in a dangerous and burning building. Dammit, I'm going to let him get away because if I don't do this right now then I'll be a waste of space to myself. I'm gonna get it in the neck for this, but not as much as I would if a burning roof dropped on a bank full of people.

With a flex of the wrist, he recalls the lance and points it at Domino Mask. "Consider yourself fortunate that I'm not the bloody-minded bastard my predecessor was..." There was an awkward pause where he wanted to shout his name in a defiant manner, and realized he never actually gave it.

"You... You villain you, when I actually reminder to find out your name I'll be sure to... Well you just remember, 'aight?" The conversion curdled, Bastion cleared his throat. "Now clear off I've got a job to do." He said backing away to make sure he doesn't get shot in the back, then ran to the bank.

He tapped the communicator. "Edelweiss, What's going on?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 10, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty Insecure | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

We're the worst team, and I'm the worst leader. We deal with one thing only for some other totally horrible thing to happen! Like just now! Bastion stopped the grenade only for the whole bank to go up like a protagonist's hometown! Jae and me are on one side, and Conflux and Bastion are on the other, too! It's like Fate herself has decided to bone us in new and creative ways! To top it all off, I can hear Doctor Plasma screaming, stuck in the middle of where all this fire is coming from.

Then Bastion's voice fills me ear. Someone is still looking to me as their leader, so I guess I still have a job to do. I tab open the channel and lay out the plan, with a confidance that I don't really have.

"Ok, here's the deal guys. I'm gonna try and blaze a path to the door through all this. Jae, you're on hostage detail, keep them calm and get them out the path I make. Conflux, see what you can do to help him, I trust you think of something. Bastion, I need you to get to Doctor Plasma and get him out of that fire, he might be a baddie but it's still our job to save him. Let's bring this home team!"

Time for me to do my part. I point myself toward the entrance, and I really get the lead out. My suit will take the worst of it, but it's definitely gonna get a bit toasty inside, that 's for sure. But with the water cannon still only a drawing, brute force is the only way I'm gonna clear a path.

(9:00:34 AM) ShootaBoy: Unleash Powers
(9:00:34 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(9:00:35 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 9 = 9
(9:00:38 AM) ShootaBoy: oh my god
I'd appreciate a Team here to bring it to 10, but it's not totally necessary. If noone does, I'll take Afraid in my next post.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Potential: 4/5

A lance flies right past my ear and knocks the device out of the ballpark as I land ungracefully and smash into a trash can. Some superhero I am! I thumb the comm, "Thanks for the save, Bastion."

OK, time to focus, people still going crazy... and oh poo poo Conflux's firestorm is caving in the roof and this place is going to turn into an oven very quickly. Edelweiss leaps into action and I'm more than happy to do my part, "Roger, Pied Piper-mode Activate!"

I leap up on top of the trash can and start waving my arms, trying to shout and get people's attention, all the while sending out vibes of calm and self-preservation while I shout for people to go through Edelweiss' impromptu pathway. I can tell she's having a little trouble, too, so I send her a little bit of confidence and calm as well.

Spending a Team on Edelweiss to boost it to a 10 :)

11:01 Ferg Jae unleash powers
11:01 Ferg !r 2d6
11:01 Krysmbot Ferg, 5 = 5
Hard Move, surprise surprise
Marking potential
:saddowns:

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 10, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Hopeless, Afraid, Angry | Burn: 1

I'm getting so used to this sensation... of course I know what's about to happen. "NO!" I can't help but scream as I lose control, feeling helpless as my powers once again go haywire.

Oh my god, I'm doing it again. Everything's on fire and it's all my fault. For a moment or two I can't do anything but just stare, and for a split second I swear I hear my dad screaming again like the last time I did this - the last time I ruined everything with my powers. If I hurt anybody or burn the bank down there's no way they're going to let me stay a Hero, and I'm definitely doing both right now. I just want to help people! Please, please, please don't let me screw this up anymore! Please don't let Bastion or Edelweiss or Jae be hurt!

It's only after a particularly loud crack from the ceiling as parts of it start to give way that snaps me back to reality. I'm aware that I'm crying, but only because of my stupid powers telling me there's moisture available for me to use before I can even feel the tears. It's some of the only moisture here, since my fire's consumed the rest already. Looking up towards the ceiling, out through the sea of fire... I'm going to focus here and do everything I can to to fix my mistakes.

Standing in the center of the chaos I've caused, I'm reaching out with all my powers - trying to hold the ceiling in place with my Earth Control, pulling water out of pipes beneath the building with water, using Fire to try and concentrate the flames into a single spot instead of letting them flow freely. I don't really even care about getting out of this place if I can't... I'll have hurt tons of people and they won't let me stay as a hero, they'll be no one that cares about me, so why should I care about living through this?

Got a 5 on Unleash, so that's a failure too. Got an advance, not sure what I'm taking yet.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 10, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Outside First National Halcyon Bank

"Bastion, I need you to get to Doctor Plasma and get him out of that fire, he might be a baddie but it's still our job to save him."

"Roger that" Communicator down, Bastion clambers his way out of the soft concrete and sprints his way to the blazing Plasma wall. The heat is intense, anyone getting anywhere near something like this is asking for the flesh to peel from his bones. Bastion isn't just anyone though.

You know what to do inheritor, The Aegis of Immortals knows no force that can break it!

Putting the spear aside, and raising the shield Bastion pointed it towards the blazing inferno encircling Dr. Plasma.

"REJECT" A blue light blazed from the shield's crest, pushing the nearest flames away from it's light. With both hands braced on the shield, and his feet dug into the ground Bastion started to push into the barrier.

19:49 TheNabster Insurmountable Fire Barriers are for people without magic shields. Rolling to Unleash Powers with Danger.
19:49 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
19:49 Krysmbot TheNabster, 10+2 = 12
19:49 TheNabster Das it maine

From the inside of the wall, a blue dot appears, it grows into a circle, and then slowly starts to expand as Bastion forces himself in against the roaring flames. With a grunt of exertion he forces the shield towards the floor to block the sprouting flames, creating a gap wide enough for another person to enter or far more importantly right now, to leave. "TAKE MY HAND!" Bastion screamed to the Doctor reaching out a mailed gauntlet, "I CAN'T HOLD THIS FOREVER!"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Bastion: "My name? I am 1%. I am part of the elite members of society hey wait where are you going"

Anyway, you burst in and push through the fire barrier. Dr. Plasma looks out in surprise as you manage to get an opening in, but he quickly takes your hand and gets out as quickly as he can. He's burned up, and you can see he's not quite sure how to deal with how things are going. But he takes a look at the doors behind where the tellers were, where he could go and get the money. Then he starts running towards it, shouting "I-I have to get at least some money!" He could get himself killed. What do you do?

Conflux: As much as you try, you can't stop the destruction. It's too much for you to handle. Dr. Plasma looks at you as Bastion pulls him out of the fire wall. He doesn't say anything, but you still recall his harsh words earlier. Perhaps he does know what will happen to you after all.

Dr Plasma takes Influence over you

He also just yelled about getting some money out of this and could be charging to his death. What do you do?

Park Jae Hwan: Surprisingly, it all goes well - you manage to get everyone through the exit Edelweiss makes. But as you're outside, with all the people besides you, a police car pulls up. The officer comes out, looks at you, the bank, and the people. You recognize this person. Who are they and why do they hate you?

Edelweiss: Well, you managed to get everyone out. But Park is being eyed suspiciously by this officer who just showed up. Also, all the people you lead out have calmed down. A lot. Maybe a little too much? They're not reacting to what's going on, just kind of waiting outside. What do you do?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

The haze and the smoke intensifies as I guide people out the exit. One last check - all's clear, and I pat Edelweiss on the back as we exit the burning building. "Nice moves back there, boss," I tell her with a smile.

The feeling of victory fades, however, as several police cruisers show up and unload, weapons flashing and looking for targets. The officer in charge gets out and starts barking orders - a mix of creating a barrier to keep people out, arresting the bad guys, and putting out the fire. I almost duck behind another trash can when I see him, though - it's Captain West.

Captain West

Captain West was one of the selection committee members that put the team together. And he was completely against my participation - pointing not only to my powers but also my father's criminal record and my mother's suicide. Both, he argued, were signs that I'd be mentally unstable and dangerous to the team. Even after Mrs. Diaz managed to convince the rest of the committee that I'd be a good addition, he pulled me aside and warned me that any misstep, any mistake, and he'd put me in jail. Part of me just thinks that he's scared of my power, that I'm constantly manipulating his emotions or something - but honestly, there's no way I'd risk my spot on the team by using them on him. Plus... I kinda want to show him that I am useful - that I can be just as much a hero as the rest. Still... the look he's giving me now, and I just want to shrink into myself. I'm just waiting for him to put me down somehow.

I shake my head - no time to worry about that. I thumb the comms, "Civvie safe - Bastion, Conflux, where are you? Have you caught the baddies yet?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"We've got the Doctor safe and secure Jae, but-"

"I-I have to get at least some money!"

"Wait damnit Doctor it's too dangerous stop!" But he was too slow. he raised the spear, one throw not with the pointy end, take him down safely and then subdue him.

... No hang on something is wrong here, the look on his face before he broke into a dead run for the bank gave him some pause. He is really desperate to get that money, almost like his life is depending on it or something. 'This needs much more careful handling then what I could give right now' Bastion decided.

"You gotta help me Jae, I ain't a good people person!"

Could use some moral support here, I want to convince the Doctor not to charge in without using force on the poor sod, but whilst I am Angry I'm rolling -3 to right out of the gate for comforting Mundane actions and so is Conflux. It's on you Jae.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 11, 2016

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Hopeless | Afraid | Insecure | Guilty | Angry

Bastion calls out for help, and I'm more than happy to assist, especially as I see Plasma bolting towards the burning wreckage of what was formerly a bank. That desperate to get to the vault? Something strange is going on here.

I throw my thoughts forward, trying to figure out Dr. Plasma.

14:01 Ferg Jae pierce the mask
14:01 Ferg .roll 2d6+3
14:01 Platonibot Ferg: 10 (2d6+3=4, 3)
Asking:
  • What does Dr. Plasma intend to do?
  • How could I get Dr. Plasma to stop trying to kill himself and surrender himself?
  • What is Dr. Plasma really planning?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Guilty Insecure | Location: First National Halcyon Bank

I did it? I did it! Something actually worked out right! Holy crap! I'm so shocked that it takes me a second to realize that the police are here. Wait, why's that one looking at Jae like that? It's kinda like he doesn't think Jae is one of the good guys...

I click on my speakers and start to direct people over, further away from the burning building (they're kinda like zombies which is... weird), but most of my focus is on one corner of my HUD, where I've got a couple cameras pointed at this guy. A few overlays, some zooming in, and hopefully I'll be able to tell what's up with him.

(7:08:24 PM) ShootaBoy: Pierce the cop's Mask
(7:08:24 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+1
(7:08:26 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 4+1 = 5
Joy :geno: When I figure out my advance I'll post it in the OOC thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Hopeless, Afraid, Angry | Burn: 1

Using advance on the Take 3 Additional Flares option (Moat, Overcharge, Boost)

I... I may not be able to fix what I messed up. Not just maybe - can't - but at least I can help everyone still inside. Watching the fire rage everywhere... I think I just learned something from it - or maybe it unlocked in me or I evolved or who the hell knows, I don't even know why I have powers let alone why they work how they do. Hell, there's a team of scientists studying me like some kind of freak (they're not wrong) and they don't know! That the fire might consume some of my teammates and Doctor Plasma probably helped too. Whatever, it's a Eureka moment regardless. All of the elements are made up of energy, this much is obvious. What ISN'T is how to project a field around you that equalizes and negates that energy.

Spending last point of Burn to activate the Moat Flare - creating a protective elemental barrier for everyone still in the bank.

So I just sort of... reach out and do it, and that's all that it takes. For about twenty feet all around me, and therefore around everyone else still stuck in the bank, the fire subsides and the rocks falling from overhead fall harmlessly to the side as a lightly pulsing aura of rainbow energy fills the area. There's a part of me that wants to celebrate being able to do this, but after all I've done I don't deserve it.

Whatever the case, I can't meet anyone's gaze. Out of everyone here, villains included, I definitely did the most damage and hurt the most people. I don't even say anything, just sort of hang my head in shame while I shield us from the consequences of my actions. At least I get to do one good thing on my almost certainly last mission as a hero...

• Locked thread