Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

egon_beeblebrox posted:

John Landis murdered two kids and an actor with a helicopter and now his son makes lovely movies.

Yeah, but John Landis makes ok movies and his son made American Ultra, so I'm ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Substance abuse and humor are good friends. Most of the best material is dark as gently caress, and if you're in a place where that's all at the forefront in your mind, a little bit of vice keeps you going while you make other people laugh.

Also IBM provided the computers and the technicians (since the Germans couldn't figure their stuff out) that made rounding up minority groups for the holocaust possible! IBM brought modern solutions to slice through a record-keeping/indexing gordian knot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

About 4 years ago, a Northern VT man channeled his own inner-Killdozer and pancaked half the county sheriffs department's cars in a tractor.

And Hell, while we're on Vermont cop news, a reminder that an inmate at a state penitentiary print shop altered the decals meant for state police cruisers to include a hidden pig.

If I was a cop, I'd petition to keep the new logo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

This bisexual opera singer/duelist was a person who actually existed. She was awesome.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_d%27Aubigny

Wiki posted:

Her Paris career was interrupted around 1695, when she kissed a young woman at a society ball and was challenged to duels by three different noblemen. She beat them all, but fell afoul of the king's law that forbade duels in Paris. She fled to Brussels to wait for calmer times. There, she was briefly the mistress of Maximilian II Emanuel, Elector of Bavaria.

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Sep 7, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Why didn't they just forfeit after the second quarter?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

BexGu posted:

How happy/relieved do you think that first guy to lose the duel was after seeing he wasn't the only one?

How upset do you think the third guy was? His opponent was tired from two previous duels, number three had plenty of time to study her technique, twice, and he still failed.

Sore losers narced on her, too. Bad form all around.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mr. 47 posted:

Jesus. Imagine if that dude sold Amway.

He totally wasted his potential if you think about it. Start up a multi-level marketing/pyramid/ponzi/whatever scam, dog. :cmon:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pierce's wife looks like a nice lady. They probably have all sorts of kinky sex.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts were married for a little while in the early 1990s

To be honest, they're both kinda goofy-looking.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I just want to say that I had a nightmare/beautiful dream where I pulled into a parking lot and Peter Dinklage was smirking and leaning against the back of a volvo or something and then when I called out Peter? Peter Dinklage? He crawled through a small hatch feet first into the back of the car and the last thing I saw was his smiling face.

Then I thought, well I guess he wants to be left alone and drove off.

this is before I read this thread

edit: this is a thing that actually happrned

About a year ago I had a dream where I was waiting in line at the Kum & Go gas station that I go to multiple times a week. There were a few people ahead of me and I was uncomfortable because I was carrying one of those huge, heavy CRT monitors to purchase.

I noticed a rather handsome man in an impeccable suit behind me and I saw that he had the blacked out glasses and white cane typical of a blind man. Then it hit me, standing behind me was Matt Murdock, the famous blind ace attorney! (I didn't recognize him as Daredevil in my dream because it's a SECRET IDENTITY GUYS)

Anyway, my turn at the register came up, Ashleigh, one of the regular clerks rang me up and I paid cash. Well, Mr. Murdock, bless his heart, finished his transaction quickly and came over to hold the door open for my CRT carrying rear end, as I was having some trouble getting out of the store with my purchase. On the way out he whispered this to me,

"I noticed when you pulled the money out of your wallet that all of the big bills were on the outside of the wad. That can attract the wrong type of attention and set you up for trouble. Next time, try putting your small bills on the outside, so the bigger bills are hidden in the middle, and you can just snag a ten or a twenty from the middle as you need it."

Well, I thanked him very much for holding the door, and for the sound advice, and went to my car and wrestled the CRT into the trunk. As I closed the lid, a thought hit me... How could Matt Murdock have seen my money? He's blind!

Then I woke up. The best part? I already do that with my money andI haven't seen anything Daredevil related since the Affleck movie, either. :wtc:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Beastie posted:

Gandhi used to sleep in the buff in the same bed as nude children.

Obviously only to test his purity though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, but didn't St Theresa believe that the poor, suffering and dying were blessed, since suffering was good for your soul? Kind of a weird lady, even if she did good stuff.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Most of Gandhi's complaints just boil down to yelling "look at how hard we work while these savages do as little as possible, yet you treat us the same," at the white man.

I can only imagine the native Africans watching him and thinking what a bitchmade idiot he was. "Look at this chump trying to actually work hard for these assholes that rolled in and just hosed his people's poo poo all up, just like they did with us. Shameful."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That Eamon vs Frankie thing seems like an event that happened on the level of my dream about Daredevil I posted a little while ago. I have never heard of it until this very day.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

wayne curr posted:

My parents refuse to get rid of the vintage-rear end plasma TV they bought in 2003. The picture looks like poo poo now, and it's not even HD (some weird resolution like 1280x760) and there's no HDMI on it so everything's connected with composite cables :saddowns:
It doesn't help that they loving bolted it to the living room wall to stop anyone breaking in and stealing it (thing cost them $10,000+)

They could get a much better TV for what, $3-500 now? They'd expect to sell their paperweight for 8k , I imagine. They might get some retro gamer nerds to cart it off for free.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Volcott posted:

Do not kill yourself with a gun. It is messy and unreliable. There are much better ways to kill yourself.

Poison yourself, light yourself on fire, slit your wrists, THEN shoot yourself in the head while leaning over the edge of a high building.

Or use an exit bag. Whatever.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

proof of concept posted:

you need to make a suicide helmet then you're all set

These lowest bidder military contracts are getting silly!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Look, you just need an airtight bag that will fit your whole body and a canister of one of the gasses that doesn't provoke the suffocation response from your body. You get in the bag, zip up, go peacefully to sleep, no muss, no fuss, easy cleanup for the crew. Exit bag.

My friend had a son who did exactly that 5 years ago. :smith: at least it's not a bad way to go.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think that's an accurate description of the Apollo Program

Some lady also wrote some robot poetry in long form to make it happen, or something.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It was a glorified tube of gasoline with some monkeys strapped to the front. It was very precisely aimed, sure.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rocket science is very complex. I get it. I had fun watching the failure reels of the Americans and the Soviets just blowing up rocket after rocket after months of painstaking work each time in some documentary. The fact that Sputnik even got into space is amazing.

My phone could have run the whole moon mission and had processor power left to spare for a kickin' rad playlist, though. The poo poo we threw into space was all kinds of primitive, but it worked, which is part of why I think it's cool. Everybody on both sides was trying to slap poo poo together as fast as possible while also maybe not destroying the payload at some distant point in the future.

NASA is doin cool poo poo these days like using special gas lenses in telescopes to filter the light from stars to get the size and chemical makeup of planets from how they barely affect a star's light when they pass in front of it. Like a very tiny fraction of a percent change. They're cataloging probable earth-like planets right now. That's some highly advanced poo poo we just couldn't do in the 50s and 60s.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Buckets posted:

I heard that the primitive technology guy is going to build a rocket in his next video.

You just need a series of simple levers, a pulley and a shofar.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Remember when they faked all those moon landings?

I'm not that old. Anything that supposedly happened before my earliest memories or has happened outside of my immediate vicinity is actually part of an elaborate fabricated world meant to enhance the joy my tormentors feel as I struggle futilely against the horrors of the cruel and unjust fiction they've created. So, nice try, shill.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ok, but how is that different from the Sears Tower?

Unlike more modern skyscrapers, the Sears Tower doesn't have nearly that much flex designed in.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Has anyone tried to fill up the Sears tower with explosives and check, though? I know they did it with the WTC but it just collapsed on the launch pad.

Considering the success rate of early rocket tests, that's a marvelous performance, really.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The XFL had the New Jersey Felons and other amusing teams names, though. That was a bright spot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Want a blowjob, hunk? Just buy this $10 of ditch weed.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I just assumed the entirety of GBS got gassed or something, so I poked my head into a couple of other forums. Surely, they could have held out for another week or two.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A woman attempted to hitchhike through the Middle East to promote peace but was raped/killed instead

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/04/1...-instead-2.html

That was a risky proposition by default, unfortunately.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Just a swip and a sip and yer a Jew!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A White Guy posted:

:perfect:

Also don't forget that the sitting vice president of the United States also agitated for a war that resulted in the deaths of thousands of people and displacement of millions almost purely for the purpose of lining his pockets, and those of his military contractor friends.

That's actually pretty mundane and believable and hardly very noteworthy for a powerful man in politics.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

drat, I missed the anniversary (I try to remember to post it in these type of threads on the date), but here's a fun one:

On 14 September 1914, two luxury ocean liners deliberately fought a duel to the death off the coast of Brazil.

Because of the war, they'd both been drafted into naval service as "auxiliary cruisers", which basically meant "stick a couple of 4-inch-ish guns on 'em and fight back against the u-boat menace/go privateering."
HMS Carmania ran across SMS Cap Trafalgar while the latter was in port; both captains being gentlemen, they steamed out to sea on parallel courses until they had room to maneuver, then turned toward each other and fought. The winner took 79 large-caliber shell hits (though at one point they were close enough to fight with machineguns), some below the waterline and others carrying away her bridge. But eventually, the British ship sank the German one (which, amusingly, was named after Britain's greatest naval victory, and also disguised as her foe), through a combination of luck, superior British gun-handling, and superior guns (Jerry had 105mm guns, the Brits had 120mm).

You forgot that the Cap Traflagar was disguised as the Caramina.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

No they didn't... It's there in what you quoted.

Fair, I think it's one of the more interesting things to mention at the beginning, though. It's an extra layer of :wtc: I missed it in the aside.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

M.A.D. isn't all that bad. It really just means that by the time they blow up all of your important military and government poo poo, you will have done exactly the same, rendering it a suicidal gambit from a national point of view. Plenty of people would live through it, and there would't be much fallout to worry about, excepting actual nuke-on-ground-contact detonations, which would be pretty rare and probably only used on a few places like Cheyenne Mountain, if at all. The real bad effects of lighting up a bunch of nukes at the same time would be disrupting the Earth's magnetic field for a while, allowing more radiation to slip through and disrupting radio comms. The magnetosphere has had worse, though. We used to shoot nukes up into the high atmosphere and blow them up to see what would happen. SCIENCE!

There's no kill like overkill, and if the death wasn't mega, you should probably doubletap to be sure.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

MKUltra is real and was never stopped

See the CoD Black Ops games for more details

Dose your friends, family and coworkers with LSD and shrooms and poo poo on the sly to do your own research project!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

nocal posted:

"Facilitated communication" (FC), also known as rapid prompting, is a scientifically debunked augmentative communication method wherein a "facilitator" uses hand-over-hand guidance to assist a person communicate by pointing to letters. If this sounds like a ouiji board to you, that's about right. It was invented by a random lady in Australia and for some time it was not subject to any true scientific scrutiny. The first study to debunk the practice, as far as I can tell, was in 1992.

It was somewhat famously debunked in 1993 on an episode of Frontline (here).

Unfortunately, previous to this quite simple debunking, a man named Douglas Biklen started the Facilitated Communication Institute in 1992 at no less than Syracuse University. How does a man who staked his reputation and livelihood on a scientifically and functionally worthless method proceed? Surely he would take action. Well, in 2010 they changed the name of the institute at Syracuse. Biklen actually became dean of the school of education. They still defend the practice on this page.

It lead to The Strange Case of Anna Stubblefield. She was a brilliant "facilitator" for a nonverbal man with severe disabilities. Since his "responses" were actually her own, she fell in love with herself, and subsequently sexually abused a man with severe disabilities.

Several people practice this repeatedly debunked garbage, including a woman in Texas who people fly their children to see, and who accepts money from sad and desperate families who wish that their children could communicate. Watch her use her method to push a boy's hand where she wants it to go, and watch her move the letters, here.

It should be an extreme embarrassment to Syracuse; at least one person has the sense to understand the situation. However, admins are quoted in this article (written a mere 6 months ago) defending the practice, and at least one commenter below the article is trying to prove that it is a scientifically valid technique.

Sunk Cost Fallacy, the willingness to believe for a good cause, familial loyalty, desperation for a cure, the mind's aversion to change, magical thinking and circling the wagons are all wrapped up in this mess, from my layman's perspective. That's a pretty deep hole for anyone to climb out of, even if they were looking to. I can't really blame a FC user or client parent/guardian for being pretty entrenched about the whole thing, even if they are harmful idiots.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I voted for trump and I hated bowie

:megadeath:

One of my oldest and best friends died this year, after I spent so much time trying to save him from his demons. Bound to happen, but 2016, folks. The Aristocrats!

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Nov 11, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Are the Ewok movies no longer canon? The second one fukkin rocked. It had a force witch and a little girl's family is murdered on screen in the first ten minutes.

E: also, Wilford Brimley murked some motherfuckers hardcore

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dravs posted:

The Ewok movies are real?! I legit thought I had dreamt watching then when I was young because my adult mind could not cope with their existence.

Yeah, I probably watched em a hundred times apiece as a kid. I had them both on VHS that had been recorded off of tv, goofy old commercials and all. <3 Cindel.

E: the first movie involves spiders the size of goddamned horses, Cindel's brother (Mace, I think) getting magically trapped under the surface of a lake, and a 50ft tall troll.

EE:and sexy fairies or some poo poo

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The best part is that Mace and Cindel work with the Ewoks in the first movie to save their parents. Yay! Everything is cool!

Second movie starts, dad has almost fixed the family's crashed starship and gets gunned down for the power core by some space Vikings. All the Ewoks get kidnapped, mom and Mace die and it's just Cindel and Wickett abondonef in the loving woods. Kind of downer opening.

• Locked thread