Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This does point out an important subtlety in darkest dungeon: leveling up your heroes' resolve doesn't particularly help (and can downright hurt) unless you can also keep their equipment & skills topped up. Which is why I cringe a bit when Highwang focuses so much cash on quirks and not on skills/armor/weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

double nine posted:

This does point out an important subtlety in darkest dungeon: leveling up your heroes' resolve doesn't particularly help (and can downright hurt) unless you can also keep their equipment & skills topped up. Which is why I cringe a bit when Highwang focuses so much cash on quirks and not on skills/armor/weapons

Non-locked quirks especially are a lot more efficient overall to burn off. Like. a 3000 gold difference per trait. that's a lot of armour.
And never take auto-clicking people.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

double nine posted:

Locking in useful quirks in levels 0-2 is far cheaper than at high levels. Any time I see a Hard Skin or Natural Swing I usually lock it in asap. Of course, if I really need to work on gear that takes precedence, but sometimes you need to look wayyyy down the road.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Sorry, um, careful, sorry, sorry...

Why are these corridors so cramped, jeez...

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

IMJack posted:

Yeah, so about that betraying you thing... I didn't mean any of it, honest. lemme just squeeze back here...um...pardon me...

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Captain Capitalism posted:

The thing you're talking about (the side event) only happens once you have 4 level 5 heroes, so even if Glukk Glukk levels up to 5, you don't have to worry about it just yet.
I have just encountered that thing and posted about it in the Games thread, if anyone wants to know how that went for a first timer. (Spoiler: Just as well as you'd expect.)

For the Siren, I went ahead and cheesed the hell out of her. She favours whoever has the lowest debuff resistance, soooo I brought along an Antiquarian who mainly just healed herself for 1 damage when stolen. :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I restarted playing cause of this lp, first necromancer fought 2 shamblers and the boss. Of course the first shambler infinite crit worked my vestal to a mental breakdown, so I spent the next 4 battles having reynauld spam his flag at her until she got down to 0 stress and the affliction cleared out.

So worth it though for the loot.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

IMJack posted:

Fanart request: Moonwalker Vestal. With MJ's hat because why not?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

i made an effort post, but SA ate it. Long story short, of the first round bosses I find Siren incredibly easy and Necromancer arguably the hardest. Thoughts?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

i made an effort post, but SA ate it. Long story short, of the first round bosses I find Siren incredibly easy and Necromancer arguably the hardest. Thoughts?

For a completely new player, I'd say the Hag is the hardest since you might not have a team well equipped to deal with a back row boss. Conversely, the 2nd boss in the Weald is probably the easiest since you've been taught to have long range damage, and that boss is easy to manage.

The rest fall somewhere in the middle. The Necromancer isn't too hard, but you can fight him extremely early and that can mess you up if you aren't prepared.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Tombot posted:

Yeah, so about that betraying you thing... I didn't mean any of it, honest. lemme just squeeze back here...um...pardon me...

Occultist: Wait, I just had a thought - we just missed out on the possibility of seeing hot lesbian action.

Highwayman & Crusader: NOOOOOOOOO! (+100 Stress)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well my play through is going fine. I'm at week 37 at the moment with 3 level 5's (RIP Dismas)

I wanted to show off my super neato MAA and have Wang yell at me for not locking skills.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Gridlocked posted:

Well my play through is going fine. I'm at week 37 at the moment with 3 level 5's (RIP Dismas)

I wanted to show off my super neato MAA and have Wang yell at me for not locking skills.

lock in Beast Hater and Eldritch Hater whenever you can. Both, if it shows up.

You won't regret it.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Sorry for changing sides in that boss battle! It's weird how I somehow feel a connection to the vestal that's named after me. Every video I always hope you'll pike her, even if it really doesn't make much difference at all. Makes it even more fun to follow this LP, so far I'm really enjoying the content, keep it up!

Also, it would be very cool to be a front line vestal, so I hope you'll follow through with those plans eventually...

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

RareAcumen posted:

My Dismas has been struck by that most insidious of mind killers.

I think a negative effect like syphilis should be renamed to monday, so we can say "someone has a case of the mondays"

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Highwang posted:

Fanart request: Moonwalker Vestal. With MJ's hat because why not?

She upheld her vows and kept her virtue for her King, such was the depth of her faith...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IMJack posted:

She upheld her vows and kept her virtue for her King, such was the depth of her faith...

:five: :eyepop:

Someone please mod that in ASAP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm disappointed no one has posted the real pro strat for the Siren, completely free and foolproof: Bring an antiquarian.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
4x occultists with debuff resistance trinkets. Unbeatable!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm disappointed no one has posted the real pro strat for the Siren, completely free and foolproof: Bring an antiquarian.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I have just encountered that thing and posted about it in the Games thread, if anyone wants to know how that went for a first timer. (Spoiler: Just as well as you'd expect.)

For the Siren, I went ahead and cheesed the hell out of her. She favours whoever has the lowest debuff resistance, soooo I brought along an Antiquarian who mainly just healed herself for 1 damage when stolen. :v:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of cool DD-related things... way back earlier this year, someone posted this in the Games thread.

Crasical posted:

Pictured: A really awkward carriage ride.

Also I can't decide if that's two identical Lepers named Miron or just one really fat leper that took up two seats on the coach.

To amazing results. :allears:

Captain Invictus posted:

When miron sits around the cart, he sits AROUND the cart

Zombie Samurai posted:

Remind yourself that overeating is a slow and insidious killer.

AnonSpore posted:

Miron so fat getting hit by tempting goblet destresses him

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Miron so fat you need scouting just to see in front of him

Mzbundifund posted:

Nakar posted:

Miron so fat when he walks in the hallways the dungeon gets stressed.

Such blockages are not uncommon.

abardam posted:

you guys are mean :saddowns:

i get hungry when i'm stressed!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I'm bad at posting :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Four crusader run when Highwang? People need to see the crusades reenacted up on this heretical place.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't get the Miron joke. Was he a backer or what?

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm bad at posting :negative:

Same.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get the Miron joke. Was he a backer or what?

That's the new arrivals cart. He showed up twice.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's just like giving Reynauld or Dismas their own head. You're giving Miron an entire other him to work with. And if something unfortunate happens, you've got a spare Miron right there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So I've been playing along with the LP, and it's helped out a lot. The game is super fun! The only real problem i'm starting to see is having people outlevel quests, and i'm still getting some bad trinkets.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

So I've been playing along with the LP, and it's helped out a lot. The game is super fun! The only real problem i'm starting to see is having people outlevel quests, and i'm still getting some bad trinkets.

the resolve level system is there to force you to move forward once you got a fully upgraded roster. Otherwise you could just keep grinding low level missions forever. No comfort zone for you.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Grapplejack posted:

Don't worry, dealing with the former myself in the recent recordings.

Alongside some super hosed video files.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

Don't worry, dealing with the former myself in the recent recordings.

Alongside some super hosed video files.

The true darkest dungeon starts here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

That's the new arrivals cart. He showed up twice.

Before that picture too? Because I'm pretty sure people have been making jokes at his expense even before that one was posted.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Miron's one of the devs isn't he?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Before that picture too? Because I'm pretty sure people have been making jokes at his expense even before that one was posted.

Not that I know of. I believe that picture was the start of it all (back in the DD Games thread in February 2016). If someone's been bashing him in this or other threads before or after that event, then Miron's so fat his mockery cannot be contained to a single thread or timeline.

Nalesh posted:

Miron's one of the devs isn't he?

Nope. I doubt we'd have bashed a dev of this wonderful game even half as hard as poor Miron, fictional that he is, suffered. The actual devs can be found here. They're pretty cool guys.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scribbleykins posted:

Not that I know of. I believe that picture was the start of it all (back in the DD Games thread in February 2016). If someone's been bashing him in this or other threads before or after that event, then Miron's so fat his mockery cannot be contained to a single thread or timeline.

Huh, I guess I just thought that Miron jokes had been a regular thing before that picture for some reason.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean there's also this guy http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Myron

doubt that was what you were going for though

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Scribbleykins posted:

Nope. I doubt we'd have bashed a dev of this wonderful game even half as hard as poor Miron, fictional that he is, suffered. The actual devs can be found here. They're pretty cool guys.

Kiers last name is Miron :v:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Kiers last name is Miron :v:

What, really? That can't be...

*checks own source*

D'oh! I'd actually forgot. Sorry Keir! I'll stop promulgating the legend of Miron so fat now. :saddowns:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Swine Prince & Wilbur

The Swine Prince and his buddy Wilbur are part of the OG boss crew, taking up the first boss fight of the Warrens. Being one of the few prestigious enemies with the "Gigantic" size classification along with holding the heavyweight title of biggest newbie trap, this boss is very intimidating but can be easily manipulated once you know his mechanics.

The Swine Prince is a boss fight that operates on the Marked mechanic, and will make that quite known with his attacks. At the beginning of each round, Wilbur will more than often get the first turn with his insane speed modifier, which he will commit to using either
End This One! on a single target, or End These Two on two targets, to mark them and deal 1 point of damage. Once the mark is set, Swine Prince will follow afterward with either Obliterate Body on the single mark, or Obliterate Masses on the pair, dealing a heavy amount of damage on anyone unfortunate enough to be targeted. Should the marks be removed from a target, Swine Prince will instead do Wild Flailing with both reduced accuracy and damage. Once you remove the Swine King, Wilbur gains an attack known as Squeal which hits everyone for 1 damage and has a small chance to stun. In higher difficulties, Wilbur also gets a free action before his mark to use Bit'o Squeal to try and stun everyone, and he does keep this bonus on Swine Prince's death. One thing to note as well, should you ever manage to move Wilbur around while Swine King is alive, all of Wilbur's attacks allow him to move 3 spaces back so there's an element of futility to that action.

Now naturally people's first response when fighting this boss is "Well I'll just kill the little dude and the Prince won't attack right?" Well, Red Hook is quite aware of this video game trope and has prepared an appropriate countermeasure for this fight. Should Wilbur take damage from any means while the Swine Prince is still alive, the Prince will immediately react with Enraged Destruction even despite being stunned or having a DoT proc, causing grievous damage across the entire party along with having a stun proc. Should Wilbur somehow die before the Swine Prince, the Prince will do Enraged Destruction for the rest of the fight without relenting. Suffice to say, you shouldn't kill Wilbur first, and the game even explicitly tells you not to kill Wilbur first.

The best way to handle the Swine Prince is to have an arbalest in your team with Flare, high speed and a high stun resist. You are primarily going to use this Arbalest as a support role, exclusively using Flare to remove all marks and possibly stuns on the party, and heavily reducing the Swine Prince's damage output. Once you handle that, the boss fight just becomes a race to chew through the boss' mountain of flesh. The high stun resist is mainly for the latter difficulties when Wilbur gets his free stun so your arbalest doesn't get locked up, and the high speed is mainly a luxury for securing a spot on the initiative slots above the Swine Prince. By having that Arbalest in tow, she will single-handedly trivialize the Swine King's entire system. As for the rest of the team, there's a fair bit of cool things you can do: The Houndmaster is a natural choice for this fight since he has native anti-Beast properties and the dog treat for even more ludicrous damage, (I'm assuming) Planned Takedown from the Bounty Hunter's camping tree will give him more damage toward it, Bringing a Man-at-Arms/Houndmaster/Antiquarian with a Guard Skill will redirect damage to a more manageable target, An Occultist with Weakening Curse & a Vestal with Hand of Light can reduce the Swine Prince's damage to nothing, and in general any hero with anti-Beast traits or someone with a Beast Slayer ring are favored.

Finally, trivia: This boss fight has a hidden achievement associated for it. Good luck cheevo hunters!

Highwang fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 22, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Funnily enough considering that he's the mark boss, a mark-based dps party absolutely destroys the Swine Prince. Show him that you can do his gimmick better than he ever can.

EDIT: Another refreshing element is that unlike basically every other boss in this game the Swine Prince isn't out to do some bullshit. He doesn't heal or drop more minions, he doesn't do anything weird to the battlefield or your heroes, etc etc. He just wants to hit your mans and that makes him unique.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

IMJack posted:

drat, imgur is blocked in my college(god knows why) so I only managed to see this now. A+ work, man.

• Locked thread