Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Oh my god she's a crazy Doctor Quinn.

And the Ancestor is her deranged Sully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Grapplejack posted:

I saw this and thought highwang would get a good laugh out of it.

I actually tweeted that a while back and it got a fair bit of attention from the devs.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Night10194 posted:

Yes, this game is basically a long, drawn out series of 'Why did that ever even seem like a good idea you crazy jackass' directed at your ancestor.

Wasn't the answer basically "I was bored and rich as gently caress"?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Grapplejack posted:

Now I want to make a series of dumb political cartoons

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gbuchold posted:

Not authentic. Too much effort put into it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

gbuchold posted:

:coffeepal:

Go for it. I'd like to see goofy things like "If only gold could staunch the flow of otherworldy corruption."

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The idea of The Ancestor standing above the sewer, slowly pouring a bubbling, moaning slurry of viscous demon pig flesh down into the depths is hilarious to me. Like, he knew this failed. He knew this failed super hard. He thought he'd be as good at demon summoning as he was with necromancy, and he very clearly wasn't. So now he has to dump this stuff somewhere, cause its not like burning it works and he can't keep it as a pet because its leaving rotting blood and pus all over the carpets. He can hear the chants of the pig men in the distance, as they worship their incredibly stupid king. So now he is sitting there, watching as it all just oozes and is just grateful The Hag isn't around to see how embarrassing the whole thing is. This was just such a terrible idea, but its okay! Cause that thing with the fishmen is going to be a real winner, he's sure of it.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Center right just killed me.

Also, re: Hag and Siren, I think the point is that everything was normal(-ish) until the ancestor hosed up and the eldritch horrors started warping everything and everyone around him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

The idea of The Ancestor standing above the sewer, slowly pouring a bubbling, moaning slurry of viscous demon pig flesh down into the depths is hilarious to me. Like, he knew this failed. He knew this failed super hard. He thought he'd be as good at demon summoning as he was with necromancy, and he very clearly wasn't. So now he has to dump this stuff somewhere, cause its not like burning it works and he can't keep it as a pet because its leaving rotting blood and pus all over the carpets. He can hear the chants of the pig men in the distance, as they worship their incredibly stupid king. So now he is sitting there, watching as it all just oozes and is just grateful The Hag isn't around to see how embarrassing the whole thing is. This was just such a terrible idea, but its okay! Cause that thing with the fishmen is going to be a real winner, he's sure of it.

The Ancestor is the worst (best) Sitcom Dad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

whowhatwhere posted:

This is a gothic setting. Being bored, decadent, and up to unspeakable horrors is just what the aristocracy does in these settings.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

whowhatwhere posted:

"All my life, I had an insistent gnawing at the back of my mind.

It was a yearning, a thirst for discovery that could be neither numbed nor sated".

That's one of the lines that plays out when you first load your save. From this, I gathered that whatever is screwing around in the bowels of the salt-soaked crags beneath the lowest foundations of the manor is manipulating the Ancestor somehow.

Also, once we go through all the bosses I'm curious about making a timeline of events that led to him headbutting a bullet. The entire process from growing tired of conventional extravagance to the fitting end to his folly must have taken over a decade.

Halser fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 27, 2016

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Cythereal posted:

This is a gothic setting. Being bored, decadent, and up to unspeakable horrors is just what the aristocracy does in these settings.

And in real life. Be glad that casting them into the sewers is the worst thing the Ancestor did with dismembered pig parts.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

TomViolence posted:

And in real life. Be glad that casting them into the sewers is the worst thing the Ancestor did with dismembered pig parts.

You don't know what those rituals of his involve.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Very true, but now is not the time for talk of British politics.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Very true, but now is not the time for talk of British politics.

And now we know the real reason the villagers came to lynch him. They could tolerate him creating shapeless fleshy horrors and sleeping with cannibalistic old hags, but when they found out he voted #bremain...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Should I be questioning why swine in a delapidated sewer would be burdoned with so much wealth? Maybe this is the depths of the ancestor's failure, he kept tossing away his money along with his failed experiments.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Tombot posted:

Should I be questioning why swine in a delapidated sewer would be burdoned with so much wealth? Maybe this is the depths of the ancestor's failure, he kept tossing away his money along with his failed experiments.
I think it's simply a case of "Oooh, shiny, gotta pick it up!" when it comes to the pigmen.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I always assumed they raided nearby places. Reminds me I need to read House on the Borderlands at somepoint.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Thanks to the thread I'm reading The Rats in the Walls and, dear god, every time that bloody cat comes up...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TomViolence posted:

Thanks to the thread I'm reading The Rats in the Walls and, dear god, every time that bloody cat comes up...

To be fair, that cat's name is one of the least racist things Lovecraft wrote. :v:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

gbuchold posted:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

:five:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

my dad posted:

To be fair, that cat's name is one of the least racist things Lovecraft wrote. :v:

Yeah. Off the top of my head, there's a certain poem, the name of which I won't mention here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TomViolence posted:

See also the dog in the Dambusters.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
In Lovecraft's very faint defense, people did, in fact, give racist as hell names to their pets.

For instance, there is a plaque at the Hoover Dam dedicated to a stray dog that the workers adopted which became a part of the life and folklore of the dam. The modern plaque makes no mention of Little Niggy's name. It's an odd thing to leave a name out of an entire story about a dog, and even stranger not to state it on a plaque in its honor. You think they'd just make up a name if they were that embarrassed.

This .gov site makes no mention of the name, but you can find Little Niggy easily enough.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/history/articles/dog.html

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015

double nine posted:

I loved that story. It has just the right amount of dread and kicking rear end.

I am kind of late for this, but:

If you like that story, maybe you should try The Haunted Palace. It is based loosely on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and stars the great Vincent Price. The movie was promoted as one of the Poe adaptations, but at it's core it's definitely the Ward story. That's my recommendation if you like Vincent Price, quirky Lovecraft adaptations and/or horror movies from the 60s.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Delirare posted:

I am kind of late for this, but:

If you like that story, maybe you should try The Haunted Palace. It is based loosely on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and stars the great Vincent Price. The movie was promoted as one of the Poe adaptations, but at it's core it's definitely the Ward story. That's my recommendation if you like Vincent Price, quirky Lovecraft adaptations and/or horror movies from the 60s.

Yeah, that looks like another "in-name only" Poe adaptation (like the Universal adaptations of The Black Cat). Even the movie's Wikipedia page notes that its plot is taken from Ward.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
As penance for not having an episode ready today, let's catch up to these boss fight tips.

The Siren

The Siren is your first boss in the Cove, and she's best described as Hag 2.0. Many of her attacks emphasize AoE damage of various designs, but her main feature is changing the tides of battle :suicide: by either summoning assistance or stealing assistance from your very team. Much like the rest of the Big 8, she gets two actions per turn to balance her against your team, with one action reserved for her gimmick.

The Siren's primary attack is Siren's Song, which will choose one of your heroes and bring them to the boss' side in order to both reduce your options and possibly decimate your team depending on who gets charmed. This move is a hassle, but is also one of the more mechanically involved attacks in the game. One big thing to note: There's an AI logic pattern that's a pain to explain but basically sums up to saying Siren won't use this attack first if your team is all in death's door, there's only two of you left and someone's already possessed. This is a long way of saying if you're hosed she won't charm anyone, which is a good form of balance. The other, more prevalent fact about Siren's Song: The attack is a debuff despite not showing any hint of that if it hits. The Siren will also prioritize the person with the lowest debuff resistance in the team in order to guarantee that it connects. Finally, once a person is charmed, they will take ~8 Stress/Turn for 3 turns before being flung to the farthest back row soon afterward. Siren's Song is a very dangerous skill if you don't plan ahead, but an easily surmounted obstacle if you're aware of it.

The rest of the Siren's attacks are mainly designed to wear the entire team down, hoping that she pulled a beefy hitter to pile on the big damage. Her other threatening attack is High Tide. This move is interesting; it allows the siren to either summon a Stinger Jellyfish, a Grouper Swordfish, or the Pelagic Guardian. The interesting part is that the Pelagic Guardian has double the chance of being summoned over the other two, which basically means there's a high chance of the Siren summoning a free bodyblocker to pad out the fight. On her other moves, Pressure Crash is a team-wide stress damage attack with somewhat low accuracy but also does 1 damage for that deathblow chance. On the other end of the spectrum, Devour is a freaky-looking team-wide attack that does 1 damage and also a chance at a bleed DoT. While those two last moves don't sound like much, they are meant to be the killing blow as your charmed hero wears down your team.

Preparation for the Siren fight can range from painfully simple to meticulously rude. The easiest thing you can do to subvert the Siren's gimmick is to pack four Holy Waters to buff both Bleed and Debuff resist, making the charm happen way less often and either reducing her action output or making the most benign member of your team charmed. Accessories that also boost, or if you're insane reduce, debuff rates will both hamstring the boss or manipulate her to your own ends. Classes like the Leper, Abomination and Antiquarian also have camping skills that takes their debuff resists to even more ludicrous levels, and to wit your Leper never really should be charmed by the Siren if you prepare properly. If you want to go into full-meta territories however, the Antiquarian has really low base debuff resist and no real way to max hers out, so if you just leave her alone and in the back the Siren will mostly try to charm her and only her. Aside from that, its a very straightforward fight and your vestal in general can out-pace any damage output the Siren puts out up until Champion realm.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Song of Desire being a secret debuff is pretty lame because it means sometimes the Siren's main gimmick just doesn't work on even unprepared parties with lucky debuff resistance and she dies without ever having done anything. And she's a big lump of loving nothing without the Song gimmick to back her up.
Both the Cove bosses are cool concepts executed poorly.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It is worth noting though, that Holy Water only lasts 4 rounds. (And I think entering the room/moving a square costs one?)

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tylana posted:

It is worth noting though, that Holy Water only lasts 4 rounds. (And I think entering the room/moving a square costs one?)

You can click on entering a room before the final walking "tick" occurs in a hallway and the tick is applied as you enter the room. To solve this, move so your team is in front of the door or you see the torch drop before entering or applying buffs.

The Siren a big sack of hp, but if she can't take one of your characters she isn't doing anything to disrupt your party from shredding her. Marking teams have a little difficulty keeping the mark on her since she moves twice, but the Occultist's mark is a decent option since it can also lower evasion.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 1, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

She's also not guaranteed to target whoever has the lowered debuff resistance. I had a part with three people with >100% debuff res, and one with ~50%, and she never targeted the 50% one.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
An interesting thing about the possessed party member is that, regardless of what skills they have equipped, they'll also revert to basic attacks. Like in the video, where the Vestal used her bash attack, generally speaking the possessed will be busting out their very basic moves. I like to stack my heavy hitters with debuff resistance because if my supporters get charmed they can't really do much. A vestal bashing a crusader with a very tough ring isn't going to matter much. I've always found the Siren to be one of the easiest bosses in DD.

By the way, I'm really enjoying the LP so far. I'm also an extremely careful player, so I know your pain Wang. I actually beat the entire game while losing four people or five people.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Space Bat posted:

An interesting thing about the possessed party member is that, regardless of what skills they have equipped, they'll also revert to basic attacks. Like in the video, where the Vestal used her bash attack, generally speaking the possessed will be busting out their very basic moves. I like to stack my heavy hitters with debuff resistance because if my supporters get charmed they can't really do much. A vestal bashing a crusader with a very tough ring isn't going to matter much. I've always found the Siren to be one of the easiest bosses in DD.

By the way, I'm really enjoying the LP so far. I'm also an extremely careful player, so I know your pain Wang. I actually beat the entire game while losing four people or five people.

I only lost two last playthrough.

Both were lvl 0 antiquarians I sent on pitch black long beginner dungeons in hopes of breaking my loot record.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Space Bat posted:

An interesting thing about the possessed party member is that, regardless of what skills they have equipped, they'll also revert to basic attacks. Like in the video, where the Vestal used her bash attack, generally speaking the possessed will be busting out their very basic moves.

Leading to hilarious instances of the Houndmaster healing himself while under control, even if he didn't have that skill equipped or even learned. I don't know if they just use all their skills randomly, or if they all have a set 2-3 but either way it can help out. I assume it still scales to level though, otherwise the later Siren fights would be even easier.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Happy birthday to me. Here's a LP update for you all

Episode 19: On the road to a Cannon

Today we recruit a new Jester and test out Finale. Turns out its pretty good but still suffers the same grievances I had with it initially so its kinda still in that opinion zone of mine.

Also, Red Hook drops a reveal on us: DLC coming out early 2017: "The Crimson Court"

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-the-crimson-court/

Highwang fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 3, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Imo the debuffs on the Jester don't matter so much because with Finale you're pretty much guaranteed to remove one enemy if it's not an especially tanky one, and once in the backrow the Jester is less likely to be targeted if you took out whatever the rank 3 rear end in a top hat was so he's free to buff and stress heal for the rest of the battle. And then of course for the tough fights you have your stack of medical herbs to remove the debuffs and Solo to bring him forward. Finale Jester isn't great for every situation, but he's ridiculously good in a bunch if only because immediately removing one enemy is ridiculously helpful.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Highwang posted:

Also, Red Hook drops a reveal on us: DLC for the Sony ports and possibly PC version: "The Crimson Court"

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-the-crimson-court/

Man, the Ancestor really put in some serious overtime into making sure that he really cocked up as much as possible. You gotta give the man some credit there, since he gives even the nobles in goddamn Warhammer Fantasy a run for their money in how to become Corrupted with a capital "C".

EDIT: Oh, and happy birthday, Highwang!

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Would the Crusader even know if his fam was dead?

Also need to try finale + herbs on a few bosses.

• Locked thread