Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Highwang posted:

This is pretty much why I find the Hag the worst of the Big Eight; I usually run very robust teams that cannot operate if they are shuffled around, and this boss shuffles just enough to ruin very simple things I do such as putting the Vestal from r3 to r2, putting the Hellion out of r1, and so on.

Pedantic quibble, but isn't that the opposite of a robust team? Robust means "resilient" or "able to function in adverse conditions".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get the Miron joke. Was he a backer or what?

That's the new arrivals cart. He showed up twice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Highwang posted:

New Update - Episode 23: Iron Chitlin as The Last Doohicker

This episode is me preparing for the Crew fight, confirming that the purity quests are worth doing if you time it right, and the worst referential commentary ever.

Also, once i wolf down all this lunch, I will get to work on all the info updates I've been slacking on for about a month.

"steenkin' badges" is from Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Blazing Saddles was a reference not the originator.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Highwang posted:

I really wanted to quote this because I remember a gaming website posting a really good article expanding on this idea, and its true. Darkest Dungeon is a good game by design, but its really good at creating an atmosphere where you build your own stories. It allows you to generate fantastic experiences without the bloat of a traditional P&P systems and also helps visualize it for you with a great and unique art style.

It's an example of emergent gameplay that isn't the typical "we just made a sandbox, the players will make the game." XCOM is similar; there's a storyline but while you may enjoy some plot elements, the things you remember are when everyone was in medbay and you had to send rookies to a terror mission and they lived, or bring a full squad of grenadiers and watching Vahlen whine for the entire mission as you created your own 4th of July.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I didn't buy Tharsis because you were selling it, I bought it because I said "that looks like something I want to play myself." It had been on my radar, fallen off of it, and then you played it in the middle of a Steam sale where it was 3 bucks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

E: wrong thread.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 11, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And leaving THIS here for Jade Star
https://youtu.be/DRXGyZro3Qw?t=17m58s

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ousire posted:

Let's go all out and just make a lovecraftian farming simulator game where you're some hapless peasant trying to eke out a living on the hamlet.

"Jacob's harvest was going great until one of the turnips came up... wrong. We burned the whole crop. Have to be sure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Re: BotW chat. The thing you're missing Highwang is that most people's issues with durability in that game is that it's not something that's especially fun. Not having played the game I can't speak super informedly about it, but from what I have seen of the game I'd agree with that. In my mind, the point of durability should be to add another layer of meaningful interaction with the game at hand. Worry about your weapon breaking in a tense moment, or encouraging the player to keep a variety of weapons on hand and actually use them rather than just sticking to one thing, or something. But in BotW all it seems to add is busywork since, as you yourself said, the enemies drop plenty of weapons, meaning all that durability really does is discourage players from wasting resources on making actually good weapons since they'll just break sooner or later anyway. A quick fix to BotW would probably be to keep enemy weapons as fragile as they are currently, but make crafted weapons very durable such that they can be depended on for a long time.

There aren't any crafted weapons in BotW. There are some you can buy (after a lot of exploring and for a lot of materials from tough enemies) that DO have the highest durability, and some special weapons that, when they break, you can give a smith stuff to reforge them, but other than that you fight with what you kill. The transitory nature of weapons, though, is something that needs to click for people and the starting area has the weakest and least durable weapons. So you get a lot of folks who hate it because they never understood it.

The main thing weapon durability allows for in BotW is the ability to reward neat stuff without breaking the game entirely. For example, you can go into Hyrule Castle early and walk out with a freaking arsenal of Royal Guard weapons, which have the highest attack but very weak durability. So you can get a boost when you want it without it being "nothing is a challenge now".

• Locked thread