Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Highwang posted:

-Crusader.

Thoughts: The Crusader is the game's first tank/brawler, but is not really good at the former. The game doesn't really have traditional tanking mechanics, and the developers tried to handle that with one of his skills, however you cannot force targets to hit you 100% of the time so you can't make full use of the crusader's sack of HP. He is good at doing front-line damage, is specialized to fight undead, and has good support options when in a bind. You really can't go wrong with a Crusader on your team.

Skills:
Holy Lance: The Crusader's move ability. Moves one forward at slightly reduced damage. There's a fun gimmick build for this but I'm honestly not sold on it. Feels like a wasted slot to me.

Sell yourself on it! Holy Lance is absolutely fantastic on certain bosses and low-to-medium light runs, because it makes the Crusader practically shuffleproof. Sure, throw him into the back rows with a surprise attack, he doesn't give a crap. He'll just stab your stress dealers in the face and get right back to the front lines where he wants to be. No turns wasted! Holy Lance is an outstanding skill.

I vote for the Manly Manor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Man-at-Arms is definitely the frontline tank controller character. Bellow is an excellent full-party debuff, and he's also the best (and arguably only) tank in the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How moddable is this game? Would it be possible to do a sort of 4 job fiesta, where you randomly get 4 classes and all your recruits will be of those classes?

(I've been marathoning Loon's Fiesta videos for quite a while now so it's on my mind)

This game is orders of magnitude more difficult than FFV, and party setups that crush some challenges effortlessly will be suicide against others. I'd imagine the game would also get extremely dull and repetitive with only four classes ever. FFV lets you assign crossclass abilities to your party members, here there's no crossover whatsoever.

I'm not sure whether or not it would be moddable, but it certainly would not be beatable without absurdly (as in, play for years and you'd never see it) good RNG.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Since no LP is complete without dumb questions, here's one: Is this game a rogue-like? The whole thing screams as such to me, but I thought I heard you guys mention set encounters in the latest video. Could be I just misunderstood what you meant.

The definition of a rogue-like is the subject of a thousand screaming nerd fights, but dungeon layouts, quest generation, enemy composition, etc. are all randomized, except for a few missions. For example, the first mission you do in the ruins after the tutorial segment on the road is not randomized and is designed to show off features like traps and curios, and ease you into what a normal mission would be like. Likewise your first stagecoach always has a plague doctor and a vestal on it, because Vestal + Plague Doctor + Highwayman + Crusader is a fairly balanced workmanlike party that is sure to be capable of completing the first scripted ruins dungeon you have to go to.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Warrens is absolutely the right place to send a leper because compared to the enemies in the other areas the pigs have more hp and lower dodge, so the leper's huge damage is more useful and less likely to be wasted on overkill, and his low accuracy is less of a concern.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Shuffling is a lot more common with new players that don't understand the value of scouting. Once you get a scouting trinket and start actually spending respite points on +scout chance buffs, your odds of getting surprised go way way down, and surprise attacks are responsible for most of the shuffling in the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I used to struggle a lot in the Cove because I didn't have a strong concept for my front liner. The high speed of enemies and their heavy defenses to both bleed and raw damage is hard for most frontline classes to overcome.

Crusaders are decent performers in the Cove due to the fact that they can stun the stupid Pelagic Guardian allowing your back smashers to kill whoever he's guarding, and the fact that their anti-unholy buff lets them one-shot the explodozombie. Crusaders aren't anything special against other enemies here, except one particular boss that the Crusader just chumps in a commanding fashion. He's decent, but doesn't really excel.

Hellions struggle a bit thanks to most things in the cove having a higher-than-normal bleed resistance, so some of her damage gets less reliable. You can offset this with +bleed chance trinkets pretty easily though. The Hellion is the best frontliner at crushing squishy back-row enemies, but is also the squishiest frontliner herself, which can lead to trouble vs. the crit-happy groupers.

Lepers are decent, thanks to their high damage to push past enemy PROT, but like the Crusader, they are so slow you will almost be guaranteed to eat a whole buffet of enemy attacks before he gets to go.

The standout by far is the Man-at-Arms! Why is this?

Halser posted:

:pseudo: adding to the comment on Pelagic Groupers, keep in mind that while they technically can attack ranks 1-4, they have strict position restrictions for that.

A fishman in rank 1-2 can only attack ranks 1-2. One in ranks 3-4 can only attack ranks 3-4.

Halser's got it right. This is super important! Two very common enemies in the cove have very poor targeting versatility. When Pelagic Groupers and Pelagic Guardians are in the front two rows, they can ONLY hit the front two rows, so having a Man-at-Arms guarding your other front-row guy forces them to send every last of their awful awful attacks straight into the Man-at-Arms' huge wall of PROT. Vacuuming all the damage into one character like this is also to your advantage, because since most of the enemies here are Eldritch, you probably brought an Occultist with you, to exploit the Occultist's strong damage boost vs. Eldritch targets. And who has the best single-target heal in the game? The Occultist! A tag-team duo of Occultist and Man-at-Arms lets you change your targeting priorities drastically. You can use the Man-at-Arms' high target versatility (his main attack can target the first three rows) to pound squishy targets like Jellyfish, Drowned Thralls, and Pelagic Shaman deep within enemy formations, while converting to a defensive role once enemy targets are somewhat thinned out and putting you in the rare situation where you can actually out-heal the enemy. His Bellow debuff also completely neuters the speed advantage of the super dangerous Pelagic Groupers, allowing your other team members to kill other stuff before the enemies move, forcing the groupers into the front rows where the Man-at-Arms can just tank them forever while the Occultist patches up wounds before your other guys crush them and move on. Bring this guy! Bring him!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's honestly pretty effective to not bring ANY shuffledancing shenanigan plans, and just start your Crusader in the third position. Assuming the rest of your team has any back-row-smashing potential at all, their attacks combined with the Crusader's Holy Lance is usually all you need to crush the back two rows in the first round and a half of combat and then the Crusader's right where he needs to be to punch the front row. Super good if you want to tank his slow speed even more with +damage and +accuracy trinkets, and use him as a facepaster with a round 1 holy lance transitioning into a smite or zealous accusation with the stress heal in case you've got the battle wrapped up and can afford to let someone else take the kill later.

As FatSamurai said, this build is also practically shuffleproof.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best part about heart attacks is they can chain. Seeing a buddy go to death's door inflicts a lot of stress on a party member, so if guy 1 gets a heart attack, he drops to 150 stress and death's door. This inflicts stress on guys 2-4, and that stress can cause one of them to heart attack, which causes another guy to heart attack etc etc. It's like sympathetic vomiting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Highwang posted:

And now for some trivia: The Pounder is the only enemy with the IRONWORKS enemy type. This is mainly for flavor but it also means there is no race-specific maneuvers geared toward him.

My favorite is the Hag's cauldron, which is enemy type CROCKERY.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Crusader is trumped by the Leper in one specific role. If the rest of your party has other roles wrapped up and the only thing you want your front row guy to do is crush the front two enemy rows then yeah, bring a Leper.

Crusader's advantage is he's much more flexible. Holy Lance makes him practically shuffleproof, and he's really good in long dungeons since when battles are neatly wrapped up he can spend his turn removing stress or healing. His heal isn't huge, but he can pop people off death's door and his heal synergizes really well with the Arbalest's buff. Crusader and Arbalest work great for smashing the front and back rows, and with those two you can leave the vestals and occultists at home and just bring things like graverobbers for more damage or plague doctors for more control. He works really well with position dancing teams, he's unfazed by pushes and pulls, his HP are really high so you get more flexibility in when you have to heal him, he basically never has a wasted turn.

I agree his self-mark is a crappy skill, but he has so many other good skills it's not like he has a lack of options for what to put in his skill slots. It's something I wish you could say about the Vestal, there's basically only two ways to build a vestal; back-row healbot and position 2 profane scroll.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Highwang posted:

This leads me to a theory I have for the dumbest build ever:
-3x Plague Doctors, all applying Emboldening Vapors, resulting in +225%~+297% damage
-1x Leper, applying 2x revenge before attacking for +50-70% damage

End result: A leper with roughly +270-360% attack modifier. If he hits, and if he survives long enough. Probably wont work, but I hope to find a day where it can work.

I believe at one point someone did this and one-shot the final boss with a crit. That was several patches ago, no idea if it's still possible.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I have to admire their persistence, if not their intelligence. Matchmen #1-9 just took a dagger to the throat, Matchman #10, you're up!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Simply Simon posted:

But I won't complain, my very first non-tutorial run netted me the heal head :cooldog:. Also immediately a Shambler Altar. I should have done it and then restarted the game I guess???

There is zero reason to ever restart the game unless you're playing on Stygian difficulty and have a time limit. Even if 100% of your heroes all died somehow, new heroes are free and hamlet upgrades are permanent. As long as you've upgraded even one hamlet building once, restarting the game just puts you back into a weaker position where you have all level 0 heroes and no building upgrades.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sloober posted:

Killing off that kleptomaniac Reynauld is a net positive, HTH.

Isn't he guaranteed to start with Warrior of Light though? That's a really nice perk if you aren't doing some sort of all-dark challenge run. Clearing klepto isn't a big deal and he can sit on the bench until the sanitarium opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

PotatoManJack posted:

Holy poo poo - where can I find this? I need to listen to this.

Here's where you can buy an audiobook, and here's a free one-shot story you can listen to on youtube.

• Locked thread