Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sign me up for Abomination, Ocultist or Leper. Clearly the correct response to the Darkest Dungeon is to rename it the Brightest Estate. Or possibly just the Slightly Dim Estate, if we can't get it all the way to Brightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Maybe she just preaches to them, and touches them with her hands to cleanse them of sins. I'd be far more worried about the Leper going there, or the Abomination for that matter.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also the Abomination is branded, and from his backstory it looked to be very specifically done by a religious group. If the Vestal, Leper and Crusader are all of the same faith there might just be tenets about not working with those branded as abominations.

So it's not that they enjoy working with the Occultist, it's that there's an actual religious law against working with the Abomination but none against the Occultist or Pagan heathens like the Hellion. Although the fact that both can be converted to the right path is probably a good secondary explanation, whereas the Abomination cannot be saved due to his very nature as such a creature.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Genocyber posted:

That's really cool; are there those for other characters and if so where can I find them?

There's a few more, off the top of my head there's one for the Leper, the Man at Arms, the Highwayman, the Abomination, the Antiquarian and the Arbalest. They're all here, http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-presents-the-grave-robber/, at the bottom of the post.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

RickVoid posted:

Oh my god these add so much to the game. Red Hook needs to release the rest of these soon.

We know what Dismas' needed redemption for now... So what did Reynauld do? :allears:

The Leper and Abomination in particular are a stark contrast. Both are loners shunned for ailments, but the Leper left a hero to his people and mourned by all, the Abomination was literally branded for what he has caged within him and slaughtered his way out of wherever he was being branded.

The Man-at-Arms also is pretty awful, by the end of the battle he's the only one left alive and you can't tell who was on which side.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Houndmaster and his Dog are not necessarily a clever reference but are a good one, they're respectively Shag & Scoob. They come with dog treats which make them brave (more accurate and harder hitting). I suspect if given the choice they'd much rather be off making a huge sandwich than fighting the horrific monsters of the Hamlet.

The Abomination is Bigby, a reference to the Wolf Among Us.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I imagine a truly canonical version of this story involves the Heir (Player Character), Reynauld and Dismas showing up first, and as they start fighting their way through the others start trickling in. The Vestal and Plague Doctor already being in town is explained by one of them being part of the Abbey and the other the Sanitarium. The Abomination is probably found haunting the Weald in beast form and brought back to study, at which point he reverts and he shares his backstory. The Grave Robber and Antiquarian show up together, because they figure this is a huge score just waiting to happen and have been working with each other for a while. So on and so forth.

It becomes a story of shared pain and working together to rebuild something grand that has fallen into disrepair. The Heir along the way learns to value other humans in a way his ancestor never did. The various heroes find some small measure of closure for their own pasts through applying some serious harm to the monsters.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 13, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Apep727 posted:

RE: the background comics - Holy poo poo is the Antiquarian's dark. The rest are mostly sad/tragic, but that one... yeesh.

It also ends somewhat ambiguously, did she continue the ritual herself or let the sacrifice go, I honestly could see it go either way.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Which might explain why they're travelling together, Dismas feels bad and so is helping Reynauld on whatever crusade even though Reynauld doesn't know about his family's death. Although that would be a bit of a ridiculous coincidence.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

vdate posted:

I'm genuinely surprised. That might be the first person who's blind-pronounced my name the right way. Thanks, Highwang!

On the subject of Finale, that spike-damage makes it worth the trouble for me, since once the Jester's in the back row I can spend a turn buffing/destressing as you do, then powerslide him back to the front row with Solo, ready to Finale again the next turn. It is a cool animation, though! Actually, come to think of it, where [does that spear come from?

My guess the spear is folding and he keeps it down the back of his shirt or something like that. The full move is probably him throwing the spear high, doing a lute solo to distract, spear slams down through enemy, Jester grabs it and leaps back whilst bowing from this absurdly skilled throw.

Either that or he can manifest spears at will through bardic magic.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

"Finale" was formerly called "Heroic End". The Spear is going right through the Jester.

See now I want that skill to be his allies getting sick and tired of his jokes and music that they just slam a spear through him and throw him to the back. The Jester manages to transfer the actual physical damage to an enemy somehow but the experience leaves him mentally shaken hence the awful debuff.

The Jester definitely was at court though, he has a line for it that also says he's immune to poison now or something. Whether that's metaphorical or literal poison I don't know. But he's the one of the three character's constantly in a mask. The Leper doesn't want people to see his face, the Plague Doctor doesn't want to get sick, but the Jester surely isn't doing it for fun either so perhaps he has a reason to hide his face.

It would actually be very funny if the Jester turns out to be an animated corpse or something.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The other use of the Jester is he has the most movement skills in the game I'm pretty sure, so you can use him to put people under the rubble who'll be able to survive it, but that's not a very good use of him anyway so he's still the worst class to bring.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Attestant posted:

Huh, console has exclusive trinkets?

For now yes, I believe they're going to eventually be put in the computer version alongside the next expansion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Halser posted:

Another effect of Vvulf's curious obsession with protecting his bodyguards is that it allows the Bounty Hunter to Collect Bounty on him, even though he's in position 3.

And since Vvulf is a human, that means that the BH absolutely wipes the floor with this boss.

That sounds actually really appropriate, considering Vvulf probably has a huge bounty. He is a notorious bandit leader after all.

I actually really appreciate the idea that Vvulf leads the bandits because he looks out for them and treats them well and all that, it makes him a great mirror to the Ancestor, who used and abused everyone to get what he wanted.

• Locked thread