Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Darn, I was going to toss out Usher as the house name, because how did some of you toss out Poe references as estate names and not immediately jump to House of Usher? Oh well.

Character wise, I'll go either Man-At-Arms, Bounty Hunter, or Crusader, whichever opens up first.

Also, I just want to say that there's so much about the design of this game that I just love. The artwork is so beautifully dark, like even the really heroic characters have probably done some pretty bad stuff. And the narration - holy crap. The voice is great, and the vocabulary so perfectly sets the tone.

Anyway, looking forward to whatever comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

LogicalFallacy posted:

Just a note, chirurgeon is the ancestor of the more familiar word surgeon, and should be pronounced as such.

I was going to point that out. I'm always a bit confused about how the 'ch' is supposed to be pronounced, though. I know it's supposed to be a hard 'k', but I always want to go with the English 'ch'.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Well, that and the tentacles.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Scribbleykins posted:

Or rather, 'The King in Yellow' (a.k.a. Hastur the Unspeakable), from Robert W. Chambers' short story collection by the very same name.

Thank you. I wanted to mention this, but didn't.

Also, the connection between KiY and Hastur was made post-Lovecraft, but let's not go down the road of what is or isn't canon in the Mythos. That way lies madness...

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: the background comics - Holy poo poo is the Antiquarian's dark. The rest are mostly sad/tragic, but that one... yeesh.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

It also ends somewhat ambiguously, did she continue the ritual herself or let the sacrifice go, I honestly could see it go either way.

From her stance and the colors, I kind of assume she went through with the ritual, though it is ambiguous. Though there is also the question of why she's there in the first place. And apparently the censer (the smoke-emitting thing she carries around) contains the soul of her former master (presumably the guy she knifed in the comic). So yeah, Antiquarian is pretty messed up.

Edit: Also, am I the only one who, based on the narration about the Hag thinks that the Ancestor got it on with her?

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Hey, who knows what properties some of those herbs had?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Halser posted:

oh god, after hearing the intro of the second version again I'm pretty sure he at least attempted something with her.

"Attempted"? He said she "insisted on repeated calls to the house." I think he did a bit more that "attempt" something.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Halser posted:

She obviously was interested solely in discussing herbs and their roles in various arcane practices. The Hag gives me a "no-nonsense" vibe, what with immediately putting someone in her pot the second your party shows up.

Hey, whatever helps keep the nightmares away.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I looked at the wiki for this game. The second journal entry from the Ancestor seems to explicitly say yeah they were boinking before she got weird.

If anyone needs me, I'll be curled up in the corner. Please try to ignore the screaming.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, so this LP got me to finally boot up my Steam copy of the game. I ended up restarting twice because I screwed up - lost my Crusader in the tutorial level to DOT because I chose to screw around, and then didn't have enough people not getting de-stressed in Week 2 to run a party. Even so, I've still managed to get kinda screwed a bit:

- I sent my first Vestal to pray to de-stress, only to find out the Crusader can only de-stress by prayer, and then she decided to stay there for an extra week (and lost be $1000, too). My second Vestal can only be de-stressed by going to the brothel, and the rear end in a top hat Caretaker was in there, so she was kind of SOL.

- Because I didn't want to send my Crusader back out there (he was at ~50 stress), I ended up having to send out a party consisting of a Houndmaster, newby Vestal, Antiquarian, and my semi-stressed Plague Doctor. The PD ended up on Death's Door a few times in one fight, but since it was a "Do all the room battles" dungeon, and I finished it with that fight, I scampered.

- Several of my characters have gotten too-stressed and picked up some bad traits. Luckily, I've now got ~10 people, including a new Bounty Hunter and Plague Doctor, and most of my roster isn't too stressed, so with any luck, I can start making a decent run of things.

Still, the RNG gods have not been kind.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, on Week 5 now, I think. I have two decent front-line guys (Crusader and Bounty Hunter), and that's bothering me, because they're both de-stressing (because Reynaud decided he needed to spend an extra week praying, drat him). I also picked up an Abomination, but I haven't taken him out yet, because all my decent healers are Vestals.

The RNG is not liking me.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Samovar posted:

Yeah, the story where his racism directed him against the Welsh.

Wait, something HP Lovecraft wrote includes racist undertones? Say it ain't so.

Getting back to Rats in the Walls, I just want to point out that "guy looks into family history, finds something strange (possibly involving interbreeding with some strange species as a stand-in for miscegenation), then goes crazy" is kind of a theme in Lovecraft. Along with his characters being rich, upper-class white guys.

Actually, now that I think about it, the player character in this game bares some resemblance to Lovecraft, at least in their background - descendant of an old, rich family now fallen on hard times. Though I doubt HPL wold have been willing to risk his life delving into ruins and sewers to restore his family to greatness.

double nine posted:

While I don't excuse lovecraft for his shocking racism even for the times, given that he died due to consequences of malnutrition caused by poverty, I can ... understand but not condone how he came to have those views. When there are days that you literally cannot feed yourself properly, finding someone to look down on/hate/fear/loathe would be appealing.

I've heard that some of that might have had to do with the upbringing he got from his grandfather.

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 16, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Tombot posted:

Yeah, so about that betraying you thing... I didn't mean any of it, honest. lemme just squeeze back here...um...pardon me...

Occultist: Wait, I just had a thought - we just missed out on the possibility of seeing hot lesbian action.

Highwayman & Crusader: NOOOOOOOOO! (+100 Stress)

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I think my favorite part of this episode was that both bosses took more damage from DOT than direct attacks.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Night10194 posted:

The Ancestor Does Not Make Good Decisions.

Isn't that basically the whole theme of this game? With the addendum of "and now you have to clean up his mess"?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Oh my god she's a crazy Doctor Quinn.

Head-canon accepted.

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 27, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

my dad posted:

To be fair, that cat's name is one of the least racist things Lovecraft wrote. :v:

Yeah. Off the top of my head, there's a certain poem, the name of which I won't mention here.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Delirare posted:

I am kind of late for this, but:

If you like that story, maybe you should try The Haunted Palace. It is based loosely on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and stars the great Vincent Price. The movie was promoted as one of the Poe adaptations, but at it's core it's definitely the Ward story. That's my recommendation if you like Vincent Price, quirky Lovecraft adaptations and/or horror movies from the 60s.

Yeah, that looks like another "in-name only" Poe adaptation (like the Universal adaptations of The Black Cat). Even the movie's Wikipedia page notes that its plot is taken from Ward.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Tylana posted:

(And then lost one of my heads while drinking.)

You know, as much as I'd like some kind of story/novelization of this game, that is the story I really want to read. Hell, I'd settle for some artwork of the table's response to someone putting up a severed head as collateral.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: the pineal gland

According to Wikipedia, there's some vaguely occult-ish associations with the pineal gland - mostly "third eye" type stuff. There's also the HP Lovecraft short-story From Beyond, where a guy invents a machine that generates sound/waves/whatever that stimulates the pineal gland, allowing people to see alternate dimensions super-imposed on ours. It goes about as well as you'd expect for a Lovecraft story.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I can't help but think that using the Bounty Hunter's hook attack to bring some of those rank 3/4 enemies within range of the frontliners might have been a good idea.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Occultist and Arbalest are BFFs and no-one will convince me otherwise.

Counter point: Occultist and Plague Doctor w/ Battlefield Medicine. Cures bleed (and blight), can be used from the same positions as the Arbalest's Battlefield Bandage, and has no restrictions on who it can be used on. The only downside is that it only heals 1 point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
This is true.

• Locked thread