Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

dongsbot 9000 posted:

##vote chaoslord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I am the likely lunch candidate today so here is a collection of a few scattered thoughts I have had over breakfast:

I really don't get the AS kill for setup spec reasons, buuuuuuuuut,

Speaking of setup spec, lmao I don't know if I have ever been more wrong about setup spec in a game. Embarrassing.

To allow a little more dabbling, though, if it is 4/3 on teams then today is LYLO.

Meinberg where the hell have you been?

As of now I'm not scheduled to be at work till like noon central but that can change. I'll be around reading and thinking til work calls anyway.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I mean, I'm good with chaos but I'd rather not put him -1 before we reach a consensus

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i would

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

chaoslord is obviously not the wrong vote in a lylo situation (either he is scum or this is not lylo) because he is still alive and we havent lost the game yet perfect logic lets wrap this up boys

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Tremendous Taste posted:

I mean, I'm good with chaos but I'd rather not put him -1 before we reach a consensus

While obviously if you're town I would prefer you not to vote, I don't think there is much in the way of consensus left to be had. Meinberg has been absent (and Iirc suspects me anyway), so the only person left really is PMach, and if I'm at -1, short or me or meinberg coming up with a super compelling case (he definitely won't, and the odds are low on me having any credibility left with how yesterday went), PMach's hand is kind of forced on that

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm going to be going LARPing in about three hours for the course of the weekend, so I hope this is our guy. If it's not Chaos, then clearly Dongs has betrayed us all.

But I believe in Dongs.

##vote Chaoslord

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The Dark Lord dongs

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ok. ##vote chaoslord.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
"Okay." With that, a majority of the remaining Lacendados gathered around chaoslord and took him to the noose. He seemed almost apathetic as the floor fell underneath his feet, and barely struggled as he slowly suffocated, ending his long and unhappy life. Maybe this was a relief for him - after all, some say the truest freedom is only found in death.

:s: chaoslord, Xavier, Servant (town-aligned vanilla), was executed Day 7. :s:

More accurately though the truest freedom is in being alive and free. That's something the Ancients never made clear, but it's almost unarguably true. After all, if you're dead, you're dead, and whatever you believe happens afterwards - whether, like the Arrentish believe, we become leaves attached to an ethereal world tree with all our ancestors; or, like the Livireen believe, we ride stallions through fields of wheat; or, like the Mereaux believe, we become water and merge into a great Ocean of potential and rebirth; or, like the prevailing Savomarine understandings, this life is all we have, and once we are dead we are food for worms and fish and nothing more - whatever you believe may happen when your river runs dry, once you are dead, it's final. And there is no such thing as freedom where you have no choices but down.

A few seconds after Xavier ceased kicking and his freedom was eliminated, Meinberg felt a sharp pain in his neck. He tried to call out for help, but all that came out was a frothy gurgle. His final thought was a prayer for his own soul, that his fields of wheat may be as cool and bright as anyone's.

:s: Meinberg, Edmino Llus, Cleric (town-aligned doctor), was endgamed. :s:

When Edmino collapsed, it brought the attention of his longtime friend Herberto. He turned and saw one of the maids pulling a knife from Ed's throat, her brown servant's clothes sprayed with Ed's blood. Poor Bert - he was so shocked he didn't hear the footsteps behind him. Then again, how could he? Fermin was a trained killer who has killed dozens of men before; tiptoeing behind Bert was trivial. Fermin wrapped his large, rough hands around Bert's neck, and a few seconds later, he, too, was gone.

:s: dongsbot 9000, Herberto, Servant (town-aligned vanilla), was endgamed. :s:

The maid pulled out the pins in her hair, took off her servant's cowel, and shook her head dramatically, revealing her long reddish mane. Mane was right: like a lioness she had fought for her home, fought for what was rightfully hers. She butchered all who stood in her way until none remained but her. And like a lioness, here, in this place, in this time, at least for now, she was as if a Queen, crowned in blood and fury.

Aemilia Pieraña handed Fermin a sack of silver. He weighed it briefly in his hands before pocketing it and smiling. As he turned to walk away, Aemilia shouted, "my offer's still available - I'll need new guards, and there's none I'd trust more than you. There's more silver than you could ever imagine if you stay." Fermin shook his head; "I don't stay put in one place for long. You know how to contact me if you need my services again." He went to the stables, grabbed a sturdy-looking horse, and left Lacenda, never to see it or its new master again.

As Xavier still slowly swung from his noose in the breeze, and Edmino's sanctified blood pooled around him, Aemilia sighed. These were good, if misguided, women and men - it was a tragedy they had to die like they did. And hiring dozens of new servants would be so tedious. She stiffened her lip and went into her new home - she had a lot of letters to write.

Tremendous Taste, Fermin Abilio, Enforcer (usurper-aligned jailor), and
Propaganda Machine, Aemilia Peiraña, Mistress (usurper-aligned ninja assassin)...
...have satisfied their win condition and won the game for all usurper-aligned players!

:ghost:
The town has failed to achieve its win condition!

:henget:
The mafia has failed to achieve its win condition!

:dance: :toot:
GAME OVER

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
In re Lacenda

A Game for 21 players

GIMMICK: TESTAMENTARY INTENT. Every power role gets to list privately an heir for their role; the assignee will assume the assignor's role abilities upon death.
- Only applies to "active" actions, and even then only to: mafia rolecop, mafia doctor, cops, doctor, and tracker. Cops pass on their sanity. Players can only perform one power role a night. Assignments happen during the night. If the assignor and the assignee die the same night (or if the assignor dies without designating an assignee), then the role is lost. If mafia enablers die, it nullifies future conveyances of those powers. (by implication: tracker can always continue passing their power.)
(this gimmick is more a devise/bequest than an assignment but who t f cares nobody besides me that's who)

4 Mafia: Despino
- 1 Godfather
- 1 Farmer (permanent framer)
- 1 Doc Enabler/Rolecop (applies to mafia doctor and regular doctor, does NOT apply to jailor or bodyguard)
- 1 Goon

3 Mafia: Peiraña
- 1 Ninja Assassin (immune to doc protections, cannot be tracked)
- 1 Jailor
- 1 Cop Enabler/Doctor (applies to cops and rolecops, does NOT apply to tracker)

14 Town: Lacendados
- 2 Cops (one sane, one insane)
- 1 Doctor
- 1 Tracker
- 1 Vigilante (two-shot, nighttime)
- 1 Bodyguard
- 1 Governor (can block executions on any player, including themselves, but only twice per game. first time -> miller, second time -> they die instead. If the deadline has not been reached, the day continues with the would-be executed player's votes wiped [easy avenue for the #2 candidate to go down]).
- 7 Vanilla

===========

Player List:

1) The Ninth Layer - Augusto Despino - Master (mafia-aligned godfather)
2) Moatillata - Fernando Ancleto - Butler (mafia-aligned farmer)
3) Jimsonthebetrayer - Leon Jaume - Priest (mafia-aligned rolecop/doc enabler)
4) Infinitum Mayor Glowku - Jon - Corrupt Servant (mafia-aligned goon)

5) Propaganda Machine - Aemilia Peiraña - Mistress (usurper-aligned ninja assassin)
6) Tremendous Taste - Fermin Abilio - Enforcer (usurper-aligned jailor)
7) TMMadman - Miguel - Corrupt Cleric (usurper-aligned doctor/cop enabler)

8) Quidnose Podima - Alonso - Picker (town-aligned sane cop)
9) BottleKnight - Cornelius Buenaventura - Footman (town-aligned insane cop)
10) Meinberg - Edmino Llus - Cleric (town-aligned doctor)
11) Atomic Soda - Cibran - Groundskeeper (town-aligned tracker)
12) Kashuno - Maritza - Blacksmith (town-aligned vigilante)
13) CCKeane - Alejandro - Guard (town-aligned bodyguard)
14) Absurd Revolver - Clemantera - Carpenter (town-aligned governor)
15) SirSamVimes - Carolina - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
16) dongsbot 9000 - Herberto - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
17) Gamerofthegame chaoslord - Xavier - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
18) AnonymousNarcotics Pinterest Mom - Jana - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
19) Max - Blase - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
20) Anomalous Amalgam - Aristes - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
21) MG3 merk - Vilmo - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)

===========
CHAIN OF TITLE
ROLECOP: Jimson -> (Kashuno) ESCHEAT
MAFDOC: TMM -> Taste VOID
SANECOP: Podima -> (Max) VOID
INSCOP: BK -> (Max) VOID
DOCTOR: Meinberg -> Max VOID
TRACKER: Atomic -> (PMom) dongsbot -> ESCHEAT

Day 1:
Town executes AA

Night 1:
Moat permaframes Kashuno (success but kashuno dies lol)
Jimson rolecops Absurd (Absurd Revolver - Clemantera - Carpenter (???-aligned governor))
Ninth kills Max (performed but fails! protected by meinberg)

Prop kills Kashuno (SUCCESS)
TremTa jails Prop (success)
TMM protects Taste (success)

Podima sanevestigates Absurd Revolver (TOWN)
BK insanevestigates Podima (SCUM)
Meinberg protects Max (success)
Atomic tracks PMom (nowhere!)
Kashuno kills Absurd (success!)
Keane bodyguards Ninth (success!)

Day 2:
Town executes merk

Night 2:
Moat permaframes Podima
Jimson rolecops NOBODY what a loser
Glowku kills Max (FAILS: doctored)

Prop kills Glowku (success)
TremTa jails Prop (success)
TMM protects Taste (success)

Podima sanevestigates Prop (fails, jailed)
BK insanevestigates TMM (success, TOWN)
Meinberg protects Max (success)
Atomic tracks Jimson (nowhere)
Keane bodyguards BK (success)

Day 3:
Town executes Jimson
Active doctors wiped

Night 3:
Moat permaframes PMom (success)
Ninth kills Max (finally success)

Prop kills PMom (success)
TremTa jails BK (success)

Podima sanevestigates TMM (SCUM)
BK insanevestigates dongsbot (FAILS: jailed)
Atomic tracks dongsbot (success, nowhere)
Keane bodyguards Meinberg (success)

Day 4:
Town executes TMM
Active cops wiped

Night 4:
Ninth kills CCKeane
Prop kills BK
TremTa jails Prop
Atomic tracks Moatillata (result: NOWHERE)
Keane bodyguards Soda

Day 5:
Town executed Podima

Night 5:
Moat kills SSV
Prop kills Ninth
TremTa jails Prop
Atomic tracks Vimes

Day 6:
Town executes Moat
MAFIA HAVE LOST

Night 6:
Prop kills Atomic
TremTa jails nobody!
Atomic tracks Prop

Day 7:
Town executes chaoslord

TOWN DEFEAT
MAFIA DEFEAT
USURPER VICTORY

GAME OVER

===========

Role PMs:

The Ninth Layer - Augusto Despino - Master (mafia-aligned godfather)
You never expected to inherit an estate. Your father was a poor merchant in Madriu and your mother a cook for a pub; your life was beyond humble, generally even impoverished. Your family would often go hungry in between father's shipments, and you never knew a luxury that wasn't hard-fought and well-deserved. Still, you were clever, and with the Madriu Authority's mandate for public elementary education you had an opportunity to shine. You concentrated in mathematics, mastering algebra and geometry as you entered adulthood, expecting to help father with the business one day. But in your free time you also read books of history, specifically about the times before the Liberation. You knew your family name once carried respect and prestige, but seeing the Despino family tree scribbled into a book of noble genealogy, with names and titles you neither knew nor recognized, you felt so angry. You were entitled to so much more than this life of poverty and disrespect, and but for the Arrentish barbarians you'd be living a life of prosperity and plenty.
So when you received a letter from an executor declaring you the heir to a distant cousin's highly profitable and fabulously wealthy plantation, you immediately packed your bags and spent every penny you had in savings to travel to Lacenda and claim your birthright. When you got there, though, you found someone had beaten you - another previously unknown cousin, a woman, an Arrentish woman. An Arrentish woman, who again has despoiled legacy, like so many have before her. You were not about to let her get away with this. Lacenda is yours by right; you'd rather die than let some witch take it from you without a fight.

You are a mafioso! You seek to eliminate all opposition to Augusto Despino's claim to Lacenda, and as such, win when mafia-aligned players have unassailable dominance over the vote (or nothing can stop the same). Your team consists of: The Ninth Layer; Moatillata; JimsonTheBetrayer; and Infinitum. You four are confirmed to share the same alignment, you all have a single collective nightkill that may be performed in lieu of other night actions, and you all may speak freely OOT. (I will not provide a scumdoc, if you want one make it yourselves.) You have the normal powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
You specifically are the proper master of the house; it is your birthright, and you seek to enforce it. Your air of legitimacy will shield you from prying eyes, who will surely find you to be pure of heart and intention upon close inspection.
You are a godfather and you are mafia-aligned.

Note: see the Sample Vanilla PM posted in the thread to be used either as a fakeclaim or the foundation of one. I will otherwise not provide you with any fakeclaim materials.

Moatillata - Fernando Ancleto - Butler (mafia-aligned farmer)
As the Butler for the Lacenda Estate, you are the second-highest ranking member in the household (after the master, of course). This gives you a degree of privileges and freedoms unknown to anyone else in the servantry; your only threat are upstart footmen hoping to oust you of your title. When Master Despino arrived yesterday you were inclined to support his claim over a foreign woman's (think of the propriety!), but when the servants en masse went into open rebellion you sided with the Master wholeheartedly. His steady, firm hand ensure the servants are butchered for their treason, the Arrentish usurper is evicted to the wilderness, and (more importantly) your position will continue unchallenged.
You are a mafioso! You seek to eliminate all opposition to Augusto Despino's claim to Lacenda, and as such, win when mafia-aligned players have unassailable dominance over the vote (or nothing can stop the same). Your team consists of: The Ninth Layer; Moatillata; JimsonTheBetrayer; and Infinitum. You four are confirmed to share the same alignment, you all have a single collective nightkill that may be performed in lieu of other night actions, and you all may speak freely OOT. (I will not provide a scumdoc, if you want one make it yourselves.) You have the normal powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
Additionally, as the butler of the estate, you know every nook and cranny in the home and grounds better than anyone. During the night you may target a player in the game and plant incriminating evidence in their room. If that player is ever investigated by an alignment-discovering role, that player will turn up as guilty. This effect is permanent; it will last for the rest of the game, even if you are killed.
You are a farmer and you are mafia-aligned.

Note: see the Sample Vanilla PM posted in the thread to be used either as a fakeclaim or the foundation of one. I will otherwise not provide you with any fakeclaim materials.

(SPECIAL MOD NOTE SINCE I DUNNO HOW NEW YOU ARE: This is a modification of the "framer" role that I call a "farmer"; check the wiki for a description of both roles if you're confused as to how it works. Note also that your mafia role, i.e. what you do in the game, is called a farmer; your flavor role, i.e. who you are in the context of the world in which this story takes place, is Butler.)

Jimsonthebetrayer - Leon Jaume - Priest (mafia-aligned rolecop/doc enabler)
Millennia ago our forefathers decided two things.
Firstly, the Gods, from Argathol to Yla, are kings of their domains. They rule the sky and earth with their strength of will and their cruel judgments. At the dawn of time the Gods crowned men kings in their own rights, to rule over their own domains with absolute authority, just as the Gods do. And so men were endowed by the Creators to rule and govern; women are unfit for anything but birthing children. They lack the strength to command others, or the prudence to make wise choices. When a weak and foolish man appoints his wife in charge, she breeds disobedience and capriciousness in her entire household.
Secondly, all are made to serve; masters serve the Gods, and servants their masters. This is the natural order of things, the divinely-ordained foundation for all civilization. To break a vow of servitude is to position oneself outside of the will of the Gods' themselves.
The Arrentish Liberation six generations ago violated both of those fundamental principles. Slaves betrayed and murdered their own masters, declaring themselves "free kings" - as if they like Gods could recreate all of nature into their image. And then these upstart peasants let an Arrentish queen disenfranchise the masters of all their gods-given rights and privileges, lifting slatterns and strumpets to rule in their places. And what has "liberty" brought us? Chaos, disorder, death, and violence.
Tradition is what keeps the world in balance. Lacenda, under the firm hand of the Despinos, has been an oasis of propriety and civility. When the late Augusto Despino passed away, you, as the executor of his estate, granted the manor to his closest-living male heir (as is proper). Before he arrived however, an Arrentish woman, the late master's niece, claimed the property for herself. Seeing her impudence, the servants have revolted as well (as what invariably happens when men are ousted from power). So long as you are alive, the Gods as your witness, you will not see Lacenda fall.

As the priest of the manor, you are a firm practitioner of the old ways. These include the ancient tradition of magickally-induced confessions. During the night you may break into a person's home and cast a truthtelling spell on them. They will then tell you their flavor role and their mafia role (but NOT their alignment). Once finished they will return to sleep having no memory of your interrogation in the morning.
Additionally, you have access to the tabernacle in the chapel next to the manor. It contains all the things you need to conduct your clerical duties, as well as healing salves and blessed water. You don't know how to use them specifically, but others do, and as long as you are alive they will keep using the elixirs to heal people in the manor. If you die though the tabernacle's magick will automatically seal the doors shut, which will have the effect of nullifying any protective roles (e.g. doctors) in the game.
You are a rolecop and you are mafia-aligned.

BONUS: in addition to the above, you have the latent power of testamentary intent. Starting Night 1, in addition to your night action, you can message me a player in the game you'd like to hold as your heir. Upon your death that player will inherit your role power (specifically, your rolecop ability). Your heir will not know they were selected, nor will they be told explicitly from where their power came once they do inherit your role. You may change your choice as many times as you like, but only during the night. If you die not having listed an heir, your role power will be gone like normal.

Infinitum Mayor Glowku - Jon - Corrupt Servant (mafia-aligned goon)
You are a servant of Lacenda; you till the fields in the summer, and clean the home in the winter. It's grueling work, but you're convinced if you work hard enough and suck up to the master enough, not only will he free you of your servitude, but hire you as an actual footman, with power and prestige over the filthy rabble. You felt like you were getting close with the late Augusto Despino before he kicked the bucket. Now that the rest of the servants have risen against the new master, distinguishing yourself should be even easier. You've joined with Augusto Despino II, and you just know, upon his victory, you'll get the promotion you deserve.
You have no other outstanding abilities.
You are a goon and you are mafia-aligned.

Propaganda Machine - Aemilia Peiraña - Mistress (usurper-aligned ninja assassin)
You never expected to inherit an estate. Your grandfather owned the Lacenda estate, but he was an unashamed chauvinist from a long line of chauvinists. He treated your mother like garbage, and as soon as she became an adult he kicked her off his property, giving her only a bag of silver. Your mother was resourceful though, she had to be, and soon she got a job tending bar at a tavern in Alcazar. She would serve ale and whiskey and fortified wine to the sailors coming in and out of the ports while listening to their stories of faraway lands and distant shores. One such sailor was an Arrentish man who was as handsome as he was kind. The two fell in love and were wed within a year. A year later, you were born.
For everything your grandfather was, your mother and father sought to be the opposite. Where your grandfather only knew his children through cruelty and fear, your father taught how kindness can be reciprocal - that if you treat someone right, they will treat you right in turn. Your mother taught you the value of hard work; as she advanced from being a bartender to a tavernkeeper to the owner of the inn itself, she truly represented the idea that in today's society, women can achieve anything a man can. (That the Alcazar Directory outlawed sex discrimination within city walls helped a lot as well.) By the time you reached adulthood you truly believed that you could forge your own destiny - you were not simply some broodmare to give a petty tyrant more petty tyrants, but an individual in your own right with thoughts and feelings and dreams and aspirations, all just as legitimate as any man's.
This is where you were, mentally, when you heard news that your uncle passed away. Despite your mother being older, her younger brother inherited Lacenda thanks to your grandfather's chauvinism. But your uncle died without issue, and with your mother gone as well, that made you his next closest living kin. You immediately decided to take advantage of the vacuum and confusion and seize control of the plantation for yourself. You packed your bags, hired a bodyguard, and left for the estate, ready to fight for your right to succeed.

You are a mafioso! You seek to eliminate all opposition to Aemilia Peiraña's claim to Lacenda, and as such, win when usurper-aligned players have unassailable dominance over the vote (or nothing can stop the same). Your team consists of: Propaganda Machine; Tremendous Taste; and TMMadman. The three of you are confirmed to share the same alignment, you all have a single collective nightkill that may be performed in lieu of other night actions, and you all may speak freely OOT. (I will not provide a scumdoc, if you want one make it yourselves.) You also have the normal powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
You are Peiraña herself; you are not particularly well-spoken or particularly strong or fast or, well really if you're being honest you're actually quite ordinary. What you do have, though, is a talent with poisons. During the night you may target a player in the game and poison their food. When they consume their dinner they will turn purple, their mouth will foam, and their eyes will bleed. After about an hour of excruciating agony, they will die. Because it's a poisoning, it cannot be tracked or watched; because it happens (thematically) before sunset it also cannot be roleblocked; and because the poison you're using is especially powerful, it also cannot be prevented by a cleric's heal. You will use this power any time you elect to perform your team's nightkill, and otherwise it can be used without restriction.
You are a ninja assassin and you are usurper-aligned.

Tremendous Taste - Fermin Abilio - Enforcer (usurper-aligned jailor)
You are a hired brute. You don't really know much about the politics happening at Lacenda; they grow really fine pomegranates but those are a dime a dozen in Alcazar, so big woop. No, your sole interest, the only reason you're ready to die in this awful wilderness, is in doing your job. You were given a hefty bag of silver to protect a tiny redhead as she confronts her cousin or something. Whatever, a job is a job, you just can't wait to bash some heads in.
You are a mafioso! You seek to eliminate all opposition to Aemilia Peiraña's claim to Lacenda, and as such, win when usurper-aligned players have unassailable dominance over the vote (or nothing can stop the same). Your team consists of: Propaganda Machine; Tremendous Taste; and TMMadman. The three of you are confirmed to share the same alignment, you all have a single collective nightkill that may be performed in lieu of other night actions, and you all may speak freely OOT. (I will not provide a scumdoc, if you want one make it yourselves.) You also have the normal powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
Additionally, you are a brutish enforcer. During the night you can bust into someone's room and bash them over the skull with a cudgel. They'll be out like a light, and not only be unable to perform any action that night, but they won't even remember the beating the next day. You'll also lock their door on the way out for good measure, ensuring that nobody else can target them neither. 'Course you can also give this treatment to your boss, which could give a certain strategic advantage, but obviously you'd gotta talk it over with her first.
You are a jailor and you are usurper-aligned.

TMMadman - Miguel - Corrupt Cleric (usurper-aligned doctor/cop enabler)
In a manor such as Lacenda, the servant class can be divided neatly into two levels: those in servitude, and those in fealty. The lower class of servants are not paid for their services except with clothing, food, and lodging, while the upper class are given those things as well as a regular wage and a share in the broader estate. As a cleric, you are in the former category; you work under a priest, casting spells and performing rituals, in the hopes that, when the priest dies, maybe the master will favor you and raise your station. But you've been at Lacenda for three decades toiling under the same priest and that old bastard still hasn't kicked the bucket. So when some newcomer arrived and threatened to shake things up, you saw the perfect opportunity. You pledged yourself to her cause, and in exchange, she promised, in her new order, that you would not only be the chaplain for the manor, but maybe even her personal confessor. That's how you get by in the world; making friends in high places.
As a trained cleric, you know all the spells one needs to know in order to heal wounds and cure the sick and suffering. During the night you may target a player in the game and, in conjunction with an unction, you will heal someone of their wounds and save their life.
Additionally, though you're not sure why exactly, you seem to have the ability to grant those near you a kind of special foresight, almost a kind of clairvoyance. You think it was a curse someone placed on you as a surly teen. The effect is that, players with investigative abilities (e.g. cops) will be able to perform their actions effectively so long as you are alive. If you ever die however, all their powers will become nullified, and they will no longer be able to investigate players. (Just run with it, flavor is hard ok?)
You are a doctor and you are usurper-aligned.

BONUS: in addition to the above, you have the latent power of testamentary intent. Starting Night 1, in addition to your night action, you can message me a player in the game you'd like to hold as your heir. Upon your death that player will inherit your role power (specifically, your doctor ability). Your heir will not know they were selected, nor will they be told explicitly from where their power came once they do inherit your role. You may change your choice as many times as you like, but only during the night. If you die not having listed an heir, your role power will be gone like normal.

NOTE: You are also being provided with a sample town doctor role PM. Treat this as a fakeclaim if you feel you ever need one. I will not provide you with any additional fakeclaim materials.

Quidnose Podima - Alonso - Picker (town-aligned cop)
Not many people know it, but picking fruit is actually pretty mentally taxing. It's not enough to just grab every red orb you see, you need to make sure the pomegranate is ripe and fresh, so that when it is packed, shipped, and sold at markets throughout the Livireen, it properly represents the Lacenda name. You've been a picker for the farm most of your adult life, and you are drat good at it too, contributing to Lacenda's solid reputation. But does anyone in the house recognize your abilities? No. Do you ever get risen above your station, perhaps even freed from your servitude? Of course not. The old master was a right bastard, too, who whipped you for any perceived mistake, even if it wasn't your fault. Now he's dead - good riddance - but his heirs seem to be more of the same. So when the servants decided to revolt, kill the masters, and run Lacenda themselves, you were first in line to join the cause.
You are a townie! You seek to kill the masters, and as such, win when only town-aligned players are in the game. You have the normal town powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
Additionally, you are an expert picker, able to determine who is a bad apple with only a glance. You're pretty sure this skill can extend to people as well. During the night you may target a player in the game and see if they are a ripe member of the TOWN, or a rotten-at-the-core SCUM.
You are a cop and you are town-aligned.

BONUS: in addition to the above, you have the latent power of testamentary intent. Starting Night 1, in addition to your night action, you can message me a player in the game you'd like to hold as your heir. Upon your death that player will inherit your role power. Your heir will not know they were selected, nor will they be told explicitly from where their power came once they do inherit your role. You may change your choice as many times as you like, but only during the night. If you die not having listed an heir, your role power will be gone like normal.

BottleKnight - Cornelius Buenaventura - Footman (town-aligned cop)
A footman is an invaluable house servant. You clean the master's linens, you help cook his food, you deliver his correspondence, and you greet guests. As a footman you are better than the serfs working in the field since you get to keep your hands clean. But, you're still no better than a slave - you are paid no wages for your services, instead all you get are meals of gruel, beds of burlap, and a leaky, drafty room in the servants' cottage. Your only chance for a real salary is if you are promoted, but that only happens if someone ahead of you dies, or your master is particularly benevolent (and the Despinos are anything but). Last night you heard some of the rabble planning a revolution. It's a bit unseemly working with such filth, and if they fail it'll mean your head. But, some things are just worth fighting for.
You are a townie! You seek to kill the masters, and as such, win when only town-aligned players are in the game. You have the normal town powers of posting and voting in the thread freely.
You are a footman in the home, and as such you are one of the only educated people on the plantation. Your intelligence has given you a keen insight into human nature, especially discerning people's true intentions. During the night you may investigate a player in the game and figure out their alignment; you will be told if they are a loyal TOWN or a wicked NOT TOWN.
You are a cop and you are town-aligned.

BONUS: in addition to the above, you have the latent power of testamentary intent. Starting Night 1, in addition to your night action, you can message me a player in the game you'd like to hold as your heir. Upon your death that player will inherit your role power. Your heir will not know they were selected, nor will they be told explicitly from where their power came once they do inherit your role. You may change your choice as many times as you like, but only during the night. If you die not having listed an heir, your role power will be gone like normal.

Meinberg - Edmino Llus - Cleric (town-aligned doctor)
In Livireen traditional religion, priests get all the attention and prestige at the chapel, while clerics beneath them do all the grunt work. You were an apprentice under a priest since you were a small orphan child, and once you were ordained as a cleric you went to work in the chapel at Lacenda. You minister to the servants and laborers, casting white magic spells over their bruises and spreading healing unctions over their wounds and cuts. You even, from time to time, service the dying and dead, letting their final moments be peaceful even if their lives were agony. Seeing the laborer's pain, day in and out, has taken a toll on your very soul. The old master was a monster who regularly abused and tormented his servants as punishment for any perceived slight or failing, and you were there to bandage the leftovers. When he died you prayed the new master would be a gentle soul. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case - the man has an air of brutality about him, and the woman is proud and conceited. Last night you overheard the servants talk of a revolution, killing the masters and taking control of Lacenda for themselves. Murder is ordinarily wrong, but, in extreme circumstances, you think the Gods will forgive you.
You are also a well-trained cleric, and an expert in healing spells and potions. During the night you may grab a healing potion from the chapel's tabernacle and spread it (with the proper spells) on a player in the game. That player will be protected from death during the night.
You are a doctor and you are town-aligned.

Atomic Soda - Cibran - Groundskeeper (town-aligned tracker)
You've managed the grounds of Lacenda for over thirty years. You've worked with dozens and dozens of different servants, you've witnessed every function in the plantation from picking to packing to shipping to payment. You have seen two separate masters come and go, and are witness to a conflict over your third. You think nobody alive knows the actual workings of Lacenda better than you.
So you can say with absolute confidence that the thing holding Lacenda back most is whatever cruel idiot happens to be in charge of it. The masters substitute brutality for justice and regularly consume too much of the estate's income on their own personal luxuries (rather than funneling it to new equipment or even to treating the servants better). The entire plantation pulls a clean profit; it'd be even better if it didn't have such incompetent leadership.
When you heard rumbling among the servants that they were planning to kill the masters and take over the plantation for themselves, you realized they needed your wisdom and experience to guide them to victory, not just for their sake, but for the good of Lacenda.

You also are the groundskeeper for Lacenda, and know the entire home better than anyone else, both outside and in. This gives you extensive knowledge of every nook and cranny on the property. During the night you may target a player in the game and see who, if anyone, they targeted during the night. You will not be told what they did, only where they went, if anywhere.
You are a tracker and you are town-aligned

Kashuno - Maritza - Blacksmith (town-aligned vigilante)
Everyone needs a good blacksmith. The farmer needs one to polish up his scythe; the miner needs his pickaxe sharpened; the carpenter needs nails, the soldier needs swords, and the cook needs pots and pans. A good blacksmith enables the rest of the world to function, and in the hills of the Jaharod where you're from, it's one of the most noble and respected professions. But here in the lowlands, at Lacenda, you are treated like dirt. You are spat on by the master, and the house servants consider you no better than a troll. You deserve better, but you can't go anywhere - you are pledged to Lacenda, and can only retire at the master's bidding.
Of course, the old master is dead. And there's now a fight between who gets to replace him, meaning an opportunity presents itself. In the smithing business there is an expression: strike while the iron is hot. If you kill both the masters and claim Lacenda for yourselves, you could run the farm better than either of them. And maybe, just maybe, people will start giving you the respect you deserve.

You are also the blacksmith for the farm, and are an expert of forge and flame. You've even managed to craft two crude daggers from collecting iron shavings and scraps left over from larger jobs. During the night you may grab one of your daggers, break into someone's room, and stab them in their sleep. This kills them. You may only do this twice, and only at night.
You are a vigilante and you are town-aligned.

CCKeane - Alejandro - Guard (town-aligned bodyguard)
Lacenda is a few miles from the nearest town, with a large vault of gold and silver in its cellar. While bandits aren't as common in the Livireen as they are in less civilized regions of the world, since the Liberation the Kings' Guard was disbanded, and so the inns dotting the highways and the small towns scattered across the lowlands have to hire their own protection. That's where you come in. The late Augusto Despino hired you as his personal bodyguard; you patrol the estate at night looking for intruders, and during the day followed him around to keep him safe from any surly servants seeking an uprising. Normally it'd be an easy job, but the old master was a real prick. He was cruel to those below him, including you, who he viewed as his personal plaything to torment. Once, when a crate of pomegranates got stolen en route to Alcazar (well after they were out of anyone at Lacenda's hands), he blamed you for the loss. He belittled you in front of the other servants, docked the cost of the shipment from your pay - which was more than a year's salary - and slapped his cane over your knee for good measure. And you're one of the lucky ones; he punished the field laborers for perceived slights and disobedience with whips and lashes, and occasionally made them hold buckets of water over their shoulders until their spines buckled.
He's dead now; good riddance. You were dreading who the new master would be, but you never expected there to be a fight over it. The other servants started rumbling, and that night invited you to a meeting by the smithy's fire. They decided it would be best if they killed the masters, freeing those who want to be free and letting those who stay run the farm themselves. You wholeheartedly joined their cause.

Additionally, you are a trained bodyguard. You have lent your skills to the revolution and are ready to die for it if need-be. During the night you may target a player in the game; if anyone tries to kill that player during the night, the kill will automatically redirect to you. If that happens, your flip will also include the player you died protecting.
You are a bodyguard and you are town-aligned.

Absurd Revolver - Clemantera - Carpenter (town-aligned governor)
You try not to let things get to you; you are a very quiet, unassuming person, and you find if you stay that way people tend not to notice you. Which, in a toxic environment like Lacenda, means the master of the estate doesn't think to use you as a target of his abuse. So quiet and humble you'll remain, because it's what comes naturally, but also because it saves you from pain.
You live separate from the rest of the servantry, in a cottage adjacent to a workshop, and you are generally given free reign to work on projects at your own pace (though your diligence means nobody ever thinks you take too long). You are even permitted every few weeks to travel into town to buy lumber, and though your wages are meager, they're enough for some well-deserved beer at the local pub. It's not the kind of life you always dreamed about having as a little girl, but it's certainly better than begging in the street. And so you remain a quiet observer, watching the world go by and making as few waves as possible.
Others assume your silence means you are simple or slow, or don't understand what is happening around you. Nothing could be further from the truth. You know all too well the cruelty the old master displayed towards his servants, and whenever a servant would be whipped for insubordination you'd cry in sympathy. You wished you could do someting, but your life was so comfortable, and what could a lowly carpenter do anyway? So you kept quiet, keeping your head down, and just trying to get by one day at a time.
Now, however, an opportunity has presented itself. The old master is dead - good riddance. The servants as a whole have decided to revolt against a new master, and you've silently joined their cause. In fact, now that they need you to construct a gallows, there's a little trick you can do to secretly help the revolution along...

You are also the carpenter for Lacenda. You are an expert on woodworking and crafting and carving. You've been tasked with building the gallows in front of the manor, which will be used for executing the masters. But you're not unconvinced an innocent might be killed in the frenzy. As such, you have built a failsafe switch in the back of the gallows, which will, when used, trip the rope and grant the would-be condemned another chance at life. You may only use this ability twice per game but it may be on any player (including yourself). The first time you use it you will become a miller. The second time you use it you will instead die in place of the saved player. You must PM me within 15 minutes of the hammer if you choose to use your power. (You are encouraged to send me conditional actions in advance if it looks like one of a few players are going down.) The thread will not be told you were responsible for the failed execution, just that the execution suddenly failed. If you use your power, and there is still significant time left on the deadline (e.g. more than an hour), I will reset the votes on the would-be condemned player and continue the day with the rest of the votecount unchanged.
You are a governor and you are town-aligned.

SirSamVimes - Carolina - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
dongsbot 9000 - Herberto - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
Gamerofthegame chaoslord - Xavier - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
AnonymousNarcotics Pinterest Mom - Jana - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
Max - Blase - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
Anomalous Amalgam - Aristes - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
MG3 merk - Vilmo - Servant (town-aligned vanilla)
You are pledged to a life of indentured servitude at the Lacenda estate. Your parents acquired some significant degree of debt to someone important, went into default, and gave up their children in exchange for extinguishing their outstanding balance. You may have been old enough to know your parents, you may not have, but whoever they are, you have grown to hate them. You must spend a lifetime paying off your parents' debts by toiling in fields, plucking fruit, cleaning stables and stys, mopping floors, cooking soups, and suffering the indignities thrown upon you by your master. And the Despino family make for cruel masters indeed. Augusto regularly whipped you for any perceived slight against him or his property, and responded to your cries of mercy with even more abuse. He never managed to kill any of his servants, but not for lack of trying. When the old gently caress finally died you were bracing for some new bastard taking his place.
You never expected there'd be a conflict. You and the other servants have decided once and for all to give these monsters what's coming for them. You feel like you've long since repaid your debt to society; it's time for the masters to start paying theirs.

You have no other exceptional powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

==============================================
ORIGINAL DRAFT OF A ROLE - SAVE FOR LATER??:

- 1 Executor (assigns a backups to every power role that dies, unless barred by the cop/doc enablers' deaths. Special results: backup doc becomes weak doctor if inheriting from scum doctor; backup cop's sanity depends on the sanity of their predecessor: rolecop->paranoid, sane->naive, insane->sane)

THOUGHT: make the Executor's power part of everyone's role????????????????????? would be more chaotic.

UPDATE: DID IT NOBODY CAN STOP ME I AM GUILDED AND FIFTY FEET TALL AND STUDDED WITH JEWELS

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

sick

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
NOTES:

- Few notes this time. You all did a great job and I thought this was a fun game. It had its slow parts but weekends are an unavoidable fact of life, and you all weathered through it okay.

Good work to the winners, good try to the rest.

Hooray!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks for the game, ec!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gj a

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

god DAMNIT meinberg

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

NOTES:

- Few notes this time. You all did a great job and I thought this was a fun game. It had its slow parts but weekends are an unavoidable fact of life, and you all weathered through it okay.

Good work to the winners, good try to the rest.

Hooray!

I really liked the set up, it was very clever!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hurray for the Usurpers!

Thanks for the game Ecco.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I really liked the set up, it was very clever!

thank you! I designed it the night between the two days of my exam, inspired by one of the MPTs I took that same day, combined with my own anxieties about inheriting my father's farm when he passes. It could use some definite polishing, but I really like how elegant it is in its simplicity, and how dynamic the game becomes as a result. Something like this - old standards but with new twists to make them seem fresh again - is something I try to achieve with all of my games, with varying degrees of success and failure.

The dueling enablers is a mechanic I stole from another game I designed during my émigré period, so, spoilers for the future on that one.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Meinberg posted:

god DAMNIT meinberg

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Also props to AS for having the best read on the game as town

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I enjoyed reading this game, even after dying early.

Scum had a good game running.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Also props to AS for having the best read on the game as town

Yes I am extremely Pro-AS.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ecco wrote some really amazing flavor for my fake vanilla night actions and I just wanted to give them props for that.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
AS did an awesome job and I wanted town to win as result. Gg tho gj usurpers

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Being able to protect two members of the usurper team on the first two nights and still make an unblockable kill was great.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lol at the mafia needing three nights to kill me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Town didn't play poorly by any means, I thought I was toast for sure.

AS did indeed have a strong game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I thought that lynch bomb claim should have been enough to push you over the edge, I can't believe you survived.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Sorry I didn't play as much or as well as I could have! I think I'm going to be taking another Mafia break for a while. Hopefully I'll come back with more energy and verve! Probably not!!!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Max posted:

I thought that lynch bomb claim should have been enough to push you over the edge, I can't believe you survived.

If I claimed outright other than just a vague threat it probably would have. I had little to lose!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tremendous Taste posted:

If I claimed outright other than just a vague threat it probably would have. I had little to lose!

It was a good move on your part because it put a lot of heat on Moat, I was just surprised that it was then ignored today.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Likewise. I mean everyone agreed you were scum but then they lynched CL

:psyboom:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

dongsbot catching TNL with that flavor name thing was godlike.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Moatillata posted:

Likewise. I mean everyone agreed you were scum but then they lynched CL

:psyboom:

dongs is paying for his bad read with his mafia life :rip:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Max posted:

dongsbot catching TNL with that flavor name thing was godlike.

and his not unvoting after realizing it is decidedly human.

Max posted:

Ecco wrote some really amazing flavor for my fake vanilla night actions and I just wanted to give them props for that.

feel free to post it if you like.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yes I am extremely Pro-AS.

same. for a (first game?) she was marvelous and should be proud even though her team lost.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, true.

Anyway, I may be creating more work for Ecco, but every time I roll vanilla in their games, I submit a fake night action like "I get drunk and wander around at night." This started in Clarent mafia when the night actions were taking a really long time to come through and I, being vanilla, felt left out. I think the butler had just died in the game so I decided to raid the wine cabinets. Ecco actually gave me flavor for it, so I just keep doing it now.

Anyway, here are the three nights of flavor from this game

Night 1: I sneak into Aemilia's room and put on her clothes:

ecco posted:

Six generations ago the Praetorienne Guard broke through the River Kings' defenses and entered every corner of the countryside, bringing with them their Arrentish culture. They reshaped the main cities of the Livireen into their image, displacing the local customs and beliefs where there was contradiction by enshrining Arrentish traditions into law. One of the biggest contradictions is how women are treated; the most traditional Livireen men view women as weaker mentally and physically, and are best considered on par with horses whose main purpose is to reproduce and carry burdens for their husbands and masters. Arrentia turns that on its head, and the Arrentish-supported authorities in each city have made female legal supremacy one of their main goals.

But the practice of matriarchy does not extend to the rural parts of the once mighty kingdom, where men still dominate just as powerfully as if the Liberation had never happened. This is the world you know, and as a man it's the world that you've readily accepted without much question. And yet, some aspect of it never felt quite right. It feels like the world itself was wrong in an insubstantial but still meaningful way. You always just figured it was a result of being indentured, since it is such a hard life already. So you focused on your work and tried to quiet the nagging sensation that you're not living the life you were supposed to be.

Then you saw Aemilia. Her hair was red as sunset and her skin as pale as moonlight. The servants murmured that she was a half-breed: half Arrentish and half Livireen, clearly taking more after her father though. Some said she was a bastard, others felt like no woman could ever rule Lacenda with the same authority as her male predecessors. You didn't disagree. But still you found her, in some way, captivating. But not in the way a man loves a woman, the way you've known a few times in your life. No, it was something else. Her finery, her hair, the slight perfume of lilies and lavender. It was so different than anything you had ever seen before, so soft but so powerful at the same time.

During the night you couldn't help yourself. You snuck into her wardrobe room (which was adjacent to her bedroom, so you were sure nobody would see you). You found a small table with perfumes, pearl necklaces, a peacock feather headdress, and a Cazanese silk robe hanging from a hook. You spread a small layer of the perfume on your neck and rubbed it in; adorned the necklace, headress, and robe, and tried to admire yourself as best you could in the dark reflection of the tarnished silver mirror. You looked so silly. But something about it, the feel and smell, felt... right. You briefly sat in front of a window admiring the cool night breeze before quickly placing everything back where you found it, washing off the perfume, and returning to your bedchambers.

Action: I dream about the stars and what lays beyond

ecco posted:

That night you focus on your dreams. You dream that you are on a boat over the ocean; you have never actually been on a boat, or seen the ocean, but that won't stop your imagination. The boat is soaring along the waves like a low-flying bird, jumping and crashing from one crest to another. You stand at the head of the boat, the wind beating your face and tussling your hair, and you feel something you've never felt before. Upon reflection as you sat in your bedroom waiting for the breakfast chime, you realize the feeling... was freedom.

I put on Aemilia's clothes again and find the largest hall in the mansion to dance in.

ecco posted:

quote]
EccoRaven wrote on Aug 12, 2016 14:06:
You try to sleep tonight, but you can barely contain yourself. After two days of errors, your revolution is finally turning up good results. Not a master himself, but an agent of the masters, an actual honest-to-gosh person who would have tried to see you and every one of your fellow revolutionaries killed. And now he is the one who is dead, swinging in the breeze outside. It's all just so much that you get lost in your thoughts, wondering who else it could be - Leon was a very outspoken member of the group, surely you can remember who he was defending, or what (foul) cases and angles he was trying to push. With him gone, all that's left is putting the pieces together, and then leading your rag-tag revolution to victory.

You become so lost in your thoughts that you barely notice you'd been pacing around the halls of the manor at night. When you come out of your deep, almost trance-like state, you also notice you're a few doors down from Aemilia's dressing room again. Do you... do you dare? You look around, nobody's nearby, and nobody seems to be following you (or if they are, they're out of your eyesight). You decide to go for it. You tiptoe to the door and find it is already slightly ajar, probably from when she disrobed in the evening. At the dressing table are her headdress, necklace, and perfume, like the previous night. You quickly, almost too hastily, put and spread them on respectively. You also find the same Cazanese robe as the other night, and slip it over your servant's rags. When you stand up you see, to your surprise, a half-finished bottle of wine next to the table, with lipstick stains along the rim. You grab it and have a swig - it is a bitter red, and you pull it away quickly. A few drops land on the gown, but you wouldn't notice until it was too late to clean.

You decide to be daring: to stay not just on the boat, but run to its head, and scream into the wind. Still in the finery you slink your way to whatever can appropriately be called the ballroom. It's a larger greeting hall adjacent to the foyer that, when cleared of its table and couches, and with its rug rolled up, acts as a suitable room for dancing with guests to Lacenda. The room is still a furnished as a drawing room, but that can't stop your imagination. You close your eyes, stick out your arms awkwardly - you've only seen guests formal dance, you've never done it yourself - and you start to glide from side to side. You hear the clink of pearls from the headdress tap near your ear, you feel the billowing swoosh of the robe along the side of your legs. In your minds eye you start to imagine, as if, you
were Aemilia herself, the Lady of Lacenda, dancing with some tall and handsome gentleman. You imagine yourself feeling his right arm around your lower back, pulling you closer into his embrace. This imaginary stranger then takes his left hand, large but soft and unworked, and weaves his fingers through your - Aemilia's - curly hair. He tilts his head, leans forward, closes his eyes...

Suddenly, everything goes black. You feel a deep, stabbing pain in your neck, and then in your lower back, and then in your mid-back, and half a dozen more times. You cannot breathe, it is too dark to see, you collapses, you cannot move, you are stabbed again and again and again and again, you feel your left eye get hit, and the darkness from there is even greater than in your right. A final stab breaches your heart, and only a second later everything stops, forever.

You have been hate crimed nightkilled.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
dongsbot both achieved great heights and sank to new lows in this game. all is in balance

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This was a lot of fun. Thanks, ecco!

Viva Peiraña~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
thank you for the game i will def play again.

• Locked thread