Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I really didn't like the idea of Off the Record (though it's the only version I ended up playing since it's just DR2 but moreso) since pushing Frank seems a little weird. He's a good character but I really think they should've gone for someone else, in a different location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I really don't get that attitude, there are plenty of franchises where they stick with a single character every single game. Dead Rising is a series where they've have three games and as many protagonists, then a Frank spin-off and now a return to Frank. Hell, I'd say most single-player franchises don't even give you the option of playing a different protagonist. Dead Rising has way more variety than, say, Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

But that's just me and I love Frank and I'd be fine with him being the star of every Dead Rising game, even if that's not quite what we got.

e: And if we're talking Saints Row then all four of the main games had the "same" protagonist no matter what they look like or what their voice sounds like.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Frank in OTR was a completely different character than Frank in DR, OTR Frank is super goofy and wacky and constantly spouting off one-liners and cracking wise while OG Frank was mostly serious and deadpan and the humor surrounding him came from the contrast of that with the ridiculousness of the gameplay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Rising 3 ran at single digit framerates without a single zombie on screen and was unplayable on my PC that could run Witcher 3 on high, so I'm glad that DR4 will be on the PS4.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Guy Mann posted:

Frank in OTR was a completely different character than Frank in DR, OTR Frank is super goofy and wacky and constantly spouting off one-liners and cracking wise while OG Frank was mostly serious and deadpan and the humor surrounding him came from the contrast of that with the ridiculousness of the gameplay.

I thought they did a fair enough job "justifying" that; Frank in OTR is blatantly high on his own hype and his arc, such as it is, over the course of the game involves him coming back down to relative normalcy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

It's not like the first three games were part of a tightly-constructed, deliberate trilogy. It "needs to exist" because the developers enjoy making it and people enjoy playing it, simple as that.

Well, yeah but I'd have been equally fine with a universe reboot which still had the same gameplay design and philosophy of the first three games. Dead Rising 4 makes me wonder just why the outbreak is happening in the first place as the cure was found in Dead Rising 3, meaning this needs to be some kind of weird new cause for a zombie outbreak.

Edit: On a different note, I wonder who the co-op partner for DR4 will be since it's pretty much all but asured that there will be co-op. I can't wait for it to be some random person who awkwardly appears in cutscenes like Dick does again.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 3, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had no idea, but there was a free prequel comic for DR3.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, yeah but I'd have been equally fine with a universe reboot which still had the same gameplay design and philosophy of the first three games. Dead Rising 4 makes me wonder just why the outbreak is happening in the first place as the cure was found in Dead Rising 3, meaning this needs to be some kind of weird new cause for a zombie outbreak.

They may have hinted at that in Endgame, weirdly. The last act of that movie has to do with a mutated form of the parasite. A guy gets infected and Zombrex simply fails to work on him.

I'm only thinking the movies might matter because of how developers have been saying that Frank's weird agelessness in DR4 isn't an accident, and that plays into Endgame somewhat.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 3, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Wanderer posted:

I'm really tempted to get a cheap used copy of DR3 for the Xbone so I can pick up Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX + α. I already own the base game on Steam, though.

So long as you're aware it's a bunch of small time attack mini-games. I should have read into it more, I guess, but I bought it because of the colours and goofy outfits and was left sorely disappointed.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RBA Starblade posted:

Dead Rising 3 ran at single digit framerates without a single zombie on screen and was unplayable on my PC that could run Witcher 3 on high, so I'm glad that DR4 will be on the PS4.

Its a timed exclusive for the Bone and PC so it'll be on PS4 about a year later and considering PS4 didn't get DR3 at all, I'll take it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6bCfcLbjLk

September 13th for all games and platforms. $20 each or all three for PS4 and Xbox One for $49.99. All of the titles run at 1080p at 60 frames per second, except Dead Rising 1 on PC which will supposedly support 4K resolutions and 144 Hz. Dead Rising 1 has also been reworked to include 5 save slots too instead of just one, which should fix one of the complaints I've heard on SA about the first game.

Steam page for Dead Rising 1 is up here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/427190/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no co-op for DR1 :{

I realize the original game never had it, but I want to cut through the whole series with my buddies damnit

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6bCfcLbjLk

September 13th for all games and platforms. $20 each or all three for PS4 and Xbox One for $49.99. All of the titles run at 1080p at 60 frames per second, except Dead Rising 1 on PC which will supposedly support 4K resolutions and 144 Hz. Dead Rising 1 has also been reworked to include 5 save slots too instead of just one, which should fix one of the complaints I've heard on SA about the first game.

Steam page for Dead Rising 1 is up here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/427190/

Multiple save slots for Dead Rising 1's pretty cool, the big issue that game has is the time limits are super strict, you really need to haul rear end on the later scoops and may God have mercy on you if you don't have the toilet shortcut unlocked by then.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Judge Tesla posted:

Multiple save slots for Dead Rising 1's pretty cool, the big issue that game has is the time limits are super strict, you really need to haul rear end on the later scoops and may God have mercy on you if you don't have the toilet shortcut unlocked by then.
I'm pretty sure I didn't unlock the shortcut on my first playthrough. :downsgun: Still beat the game, though!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Thank loving god Dead Rising 1 is going to be on Steam, because I don't want to mess with the Windows 10 App Marketplace but I really wanna play Dead Rising again.

I mean I would've sucked it up and dealt with it but ugh.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Is there still a way to get the little mini-Dead Rising game that came out before 2? The one where you're in a little town. I recall that actually being the most fun of all the titles, because it was so self contains that you didn't feel like you were slogging across such a huge area.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
DR2 Case Zero is only available on 360 as far as I can find. Apparently it was one of the free Games With Gold games a few years back too...

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I'm very excited about the DR1 rerelease because it'll be my first time playing it on an HDTV and I'll be able to read the text

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DR3 on Steam is worthless for one reason: it doesn't let you play as Sigma.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Dead Rising 1 is my favorite so I'm glad they're putting it on steam, kinda disappointed that they're adding more save slots tho

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

GenericMartini posted:

Dead Rising 1 is my favorite so I'm glad they're putting it on steam, kinda disappointed that they're adding more save slots tho

If it's any consolation, I assume you can just not use the other save slots and just override the one slot if you restart.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Restarting and overriding your save while maintaining some sort of meta progress was the main thing to DR1's longevity I thought. Why did people want more slots?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The original game required you to start extra profiles if you wanted to, say, have more than one person play it on the same console.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The original game required you to start extra profiles if you wanted to, say, have more than one person play it on the same console.

That, but mostly they probably added it for the same reason they've been phasing out the time limit and save limit in the sequels. There are people who just don't get or like the core aspect of the Dead Rising series, and they wanted to appeal to the widest audience since the original didn't really do all that well. The whole series has been pretty niche from the beginning, the people who love it really love it but everybody else had kind of ignored it. And the limited saves and time limit were probably the main reason for that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Usually people just wanted to kill zombies, which is easy enough, but there are a few people that felt that they had to save everyone and flipped out about the time limit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

Usually people just wanted to kill zombies, which is easy enough, but there are a few people that felt that they had to save everyone and flipped out about the time limit.

Which is funny because it's entirely possible to do pretty much everything in a single run starting at level 1 as long as you know where to go and when to be ready for a call. Can't wait for DR1 on Steam, it's gonna be great doing all that again, been years.

Still got Gone Guru in my music playlist.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Spotify suggested it to me as a song I might like as if I don't constantly listen to it on repeat.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's possible to do a level-1 perfect run on the first game, but I don't think it's likely unless you carry a lot of skateboards and Quickstep. Frank's speed boosts count for a lot, especially when you need to do a headlong charge across the park.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

boy i hope the dr1 system is plaintext as well so adding in an increased base movement speed is easy

default chuck speed drives me nuts still

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I liked the whole time management stuff and survivors and it's kinda why I didn't like DR3 as much. Didn't have the same DR1 or DR2 feel.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wanderer posted:

It's possible to do a level-1 perfect run on the first game, but I don't think it's likely unless you carry a lot of skateboards and Quickstep. Frank's speed boosts count for a lot, especially when you need to do a headlong charge across the park.

the inventory upgrades also count for a lot. as much as speed upgrades are noticeable, iirc speedrunners did a breakdown when trying to figure out what made the biggest difference and basically there's loving Quickstep breakpoints in DR1, which is hilarious to me

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I don't buy single songs from Amazon all the time, but when I do they're Gone Guru.

I wish people could hear your radio in GTA Online so they could hear me riding up on their rear end in a machine gun Insurgent blasting Lifeseeker.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

holy poo poo when did Gone Guru come to Spotify, must add to playlist immediately :staredog:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I always liked the end credits theme, "Justified." Somehow it's stayed in my music stash through multiple moves and new computers.

I'm not crazy about how DR2 turns into the Celldweller Experience.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Being able to have multiple saves is great so you can have a backup at the beginning of each day or before you start a mission so if you mess up or get stuck you can fall back without having to completely start over from day 1. It has literally zero drawbacks and if you're that concerned about the purity of your hardcore gaming experience you could always just not use them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I imagine they'll operate like multiple save files rather than save spots. So you can't revert to an earlier position, you just get multiple files that progress forward and automatically save like the original did.

But here's hoping they aren't like that and they act like standard computer game saves have for three decades.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Wanderer posted:

You don't have to overly abuse quickstep, though the skateboard helps getting to Brad the first time. Pretty much the only really hard spots are the first time against the convicts (Don't bring survivors to the fight) and the bit in Day 2 where you have to rescue eight people as well as deal with Cliff and Kent and the first sighting of the cultists. And the big issue with the day 2 poo poo is the clock and the dumbass survivors, not Frank being low level or low speed. If you fail to deal with that part it probably has more to do with leaving survivors behind by accident or them dying to the cultists, not Frank being a weenie who runs at a snail's pace. Sure, the speed helps out a lot, but really that sort of run comes down to memorization and knowing the best way to deal with psycho fights.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mountain Lightning posted:

You don't have to overly abuse quickstep, though the skateboard helps getting to Brad the first time. Pretty much the only really hard spots are the first time against the convicts (Don't bring survivors to the fight) and the bit in Day 2 where you have to rescue eight people as well as deal with Cliff and Kent and the first sighting of the cultists. And the big issue with the day 2 poo poo is the clock and the dumbass survivors, not Frank being low level or low speed. If you fail to deal with that part it probably has more to do with leaving survivors behind by accident or them dying to the cultists, not Frank being a weenie who runs at a snail's pace. Sure, the speed helps out a lot, but really that sort of run comes down to memorization and knowing the best way to deal with psycho fights.

IIRC against the convicts if you load up on enough quickstep you can go south from the first carlito fight and grab a rifle from...somewhere, i forget precisely, i think there's a gun store near the area where you fight the clown? anyway i know you can get a rifle early on and get back to the usual Savior route quickly with enough Quickstep, and then when the convicts show up you can tell the survivors to wait in a corner and bait the convicts into a tree, then pop them fast with the rifle. a head shot will take one out.

i honestly don't remember what i did with the loving cultists, i remember hating those guys

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Coolguye posted:

IIRC against the convicts if you load up on enough quickstep you can go south from the first carlito fight and grab a rifle from...somewhere, i forget precisely, i think there's a gun store near the area where you fight the clown? anyway i know you can get a rifle early on and get back to the usual Savior route quickly with enough Quickstep, and then when the convicts show up you can tell the survivors to wait in a corner and bait the convicts into a tree, then pop them fast with the rifle. a head shot will take one out.

i honestly don't remember what i did with the loving cultists, i remember hating those guys

Typically what I do with the convicts is I drop off Aaron, Burt, and Bill before they show up, stock up on Orange Juice if I have the space, and bring an SMG and a katana. I bait them into the trees and take out the gunner, then stab the other two and rescue Sophie. I used to grab Leah with the three survivors above and park them in that little tunnel... until I had a run of constant bad luck where the convicts would rush over there and gun them or run them down, so I figured I'd just skip bringing them. Plus it means I get Kent's bullshit done with a bit more time on the clock, and I get to bring the machine gun to Adam's fight.

The cultists you pretty much have to park any survivors a fair distance away, because they will go over to try and fight the convicts and get killed pretty quick. Then you either shoot them with a rifle if you have one or just run in with the mini-chainsaws and pray you don't get gassed. If you rushed them straight up they often wouldn't have a chance to react until most were gutted, but any that lasted past the five second mark would probably gas or bomb you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fawf posted:

I'm very excited about the DR1 rerelease because it'll be my first time playing it on an HDTV and I'll be able to read the text

I bought an Xbox 360 to play Dead Rising 1. I then bought an HDTV to play Dead Rising 1. It was an expensive game.

• Locked thread