Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Vargs posted:

I bought an Xbox 360 to play Dead Rising 1. I then bought an HDTV to play Dead Rising 1. It was an expensive game.

Hahaha same here. Totally worth it though.

Man, I forgot all about the cultists in 1. There was just so much going on in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I wanted to buy an HDTV to play Dead Rising 1, but was too broke to do so until the following year so I bought a VGA cable instead and played on my computer monitor.

Man, I played so much DR1 and Saints Row on that thing in late 2006. Even though it only plays in Dead Rising, I always associate Gone Guru with both of those games and that time in general.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Cletus was a real fucker of a fight, I imagine many first timers got blown out the gunstore the first time you stumbled onto him.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Cletus was a real fucker of a fight, I imagine many first timers got blown out the gunstore the first time you stumbled onto him.

This in general. First time playing through it was years after release via a rental and completely blind. I wandered into so many psycho fights completely unknowingly and got straight hosed. With it no longer being topical and having no friends playing it to consult I had no idea you were supposed to restart multiple times as it was designed that way.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It felt like a rouge-like almost to me, but before I even knew what that genre was. It was great, I loved it.

Also Microsoft are assholes. I got home the other night and on the main Xbone page it had an advert, "Dead Rising megapack!" 1, 2 and Off The record. I click the drat link and it just pops up, "Coming later this month" You god damned assholes. I was ready to dive in right there and then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're not doing a physical release for the megapack, are they?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUolA7ba3bI

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They're not doing a physical release for the megapack, are they?

No idea, sorry. Also seems like it's an "all or nothing" bundle. I'd probably skip 2 given the choice.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://gamerant.com/dead-rising-4-time-limit/

DR4 is full open-world with no time limits at all. Weird.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

http://gamerant.com/dead-rising-4-time-limit/

DR4 is full open-world with no time limits at all. Weird.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. People really, really, really don't like the time limits in these games because they suddenly lose the ability to play games as soon as any timer is involved, nevermind Dead Rising 2's timer being really lenient and 3's timer is practically non-existent. This does lose one key aspect of what made this series unique though and drags it closer to something like Saints Row with zombies now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Haven't played 3 but I felt that DR2s time limits really detracted from the fun of the game, at least if you wanted to do all the side missions. It became a game of rushing from one mission to the next, dodging instead of killing zombies, and never having time to explore the stores or find goodies.

I used to play DR2 with a trainer that slowed the in game clock and essentially made all the timers 50% longer and it became a much more enjoyable game, but an update broke that trainer and I haven't touched it since.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Haven't played 3 but I felt that DR2s time limits really detracted from the fun of the game, at least if you wanted to do all the side missions. It became a game of rushing from one mission to the next, dodging instead of killing zombies, and never having time to explore the stores or find goodies.

I used to play DR2 with a trainer that slowed the in game clock and essentially made all the timers 50% longer and it became a much more enjoyable game, but an update broke that trainer and I haven't touched it since.

See that's odd to me, because in Dead Rising 2 after completing every sidequest and doing a perfect run, I still had about half a day left to spare. In 3, I had about 4 days left to spare. The only game where the time limit is really tight is the first game honestly and only if you want to do everything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
DR2 was VERY lenient about its time stuff and was polite enough to announce almost all the things you could do, DR1 was the one where you literally could not miss a step and required a guide if you wanted to 100% a run because half of the psychos and survivors were both missable and unannounced, and objectives required attention almost from the instant they became available.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Coolguye posted:

DR2 was VERY lenient about its time stuff and was polite enough to announce almost all the things you could do, DR1 was the one where you literally could not miss a step and required a guide if you wanted to 100% a run because half of the psychos and survivors were both missable and unannounced, and objectives required attention almost from the instant they became available.

Yeah and then you have the survivor AI being completely stupid and making sure they didn't get stuck on geometry or hosed off to do their own thing made you waste more time. In Dead Rising 2 the survivors are smart about keeping up with Chuck and can be downright overpowered if you give them the right weapons.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
thank god for mini-chainsaws and skateboards in dr1 is all im saying

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The time limit being gone, really just turns me away from DR4. Hopefully survivors come back at least otherwise I'm just not interested.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Maybe they'll add in a real-time mode as DLC, with its own achievement set? I could see them doing that, an inverse of the first Fallout where the designed time limit got altered via patch.

It's the lack of checkpoints that irritate me. Get killed in a boss fight? Your rear end is going all the way back to the last save point and you'll have to slog your way through the zombies again, just like in the old days!

Yeah, but games back then didn t have as many options to make them last longer for the player. I'm already going to be playing through this multiple times for the endings and side missions and survivor counts. Throw us a bone dammit, this isn't :darksouls:! It's supposed to be goofy open-world fun!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Marvel had made more Dead Rising comics. :/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think Off the Record was the one that got it right. Multiple saves if you want to make "profiles" for roommates or siblings or whatever, and a checkpoint system so that if you die and forgot to save you're not totally hosed. But they still kept the time limit which is the core of Dead Rising and what makes the series unique.

You're supposed to fail, it's a zombie mini-apocalypse and mistakes will be made. Then you start over stronger and also more aware of where to be and when.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I think Off the Record was the one that got it right. Multiple saves if you want to make "profiles" for roommates or siblings or whatever, and a checkpoint system so that if you die and forgot to save you're not totally hosed. But they still kept the time limit which is the core of Dead Rising and what makes the series unique.

You're supposed to fail, it's a zombie mini-apocalypse and mistakes will be made. Then you start over stronger and also more aware of where to be and when.

Off the Record also got it right in that you had an optional sandbox mode for people who did want to gently caress around and not be pressured by the timer.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Dead rising re-releases are dropping in just under an hour and a half on Ps4. I'm ready to drop another 50+ hours into dr2:otr. Game is so good

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, im preloading as we speak. I never did finish any of the Dead Rising 2 iterations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PC port is out, it's perfect, and Aaron still a moron who gets trapped in a pond! Everything plays like silk and looks the best it has ever has on the 360 and all the music is there.

Hideous
Jul 28, 2015
Now it's on PC, I'm hoping someone can start injecting shaders so we can get ambient occlusion and stuff. Pretty it up a little because it has not aged well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is the text legible?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Text is fine. It's funny seeing everything so clearly because in the intro scene where Frank is in the helicopter, you can see just how hilariously boxy the vehicle models are.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Dead Rising is still so good

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Are they going to be releasing the games separately on ps4 or do i have to buy all 3. i dont really want 2

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Raymond Hog posted:

Are they going to be releasing the games separately on ps4 or do i have to buy all 3. i dont really want 2

They are being released separately. Most likely at a later date.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

GenericMartini posted:

The time limit being gone, really just turns me away from DR4. Hopefully survivors come back at least otherwise I'm just not interested.

Yeah, it wasn't just the timer that made DR. It was a mixture of both of these things. It really made the game world feel a bit more "alive" (despite the obviousness of it being a game) y'know, these other survivors are out there doing there own thing and some of them go mad, etc.

Saints Row with zombies doesn't sound that hot to be honest. poo poo, even Saints Row 3 WITH zombies wasn't that good.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

My friends, it is now time to go guru.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 13, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I got hosed up by Adam the Clown just like the good old days :v:

Before that I got run over by the 3 assholes in the Jeep and 2 survivors died, it's good to be back.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Since this is on the PC for the first time I can't WAIT to see reactions to

"Okay, I FINALLY killed those assholes in the Jeep so the courtyard is now safe forever."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Did they make the AI pathing in DR1 not a complete pile of poo poo, because that was the one complaint I had about that otherwise perfect game

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Cubey posted:

Did they make the AI pathing in DR1 not a complete pile of poo poo, because that was the one complaint I had about that otherwise perfect game

Nope, its exactly as it was back on the 360, I've already have AI survivors running into walls, taking forever to maneuver around benches and all sorts.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The one thing that's making DR1 easier on PC is that mouse aiming firearms works like a dream. You ready it with Q though by default, which is weird. I switched that with the camera (right click).

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Since this is on the PC for the first time I can't WAIT to see reactions to

"Okay, I FINALLY killed those assholes in the Jeep so the courtyard is now safe forever."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agoat posted:

A FAT CUP OF PISS

Was it a bug that those guys kept respawning or something? I just assumed it was a really big prison break. :v:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Was it a bug that those guys kept respawning or something? I just assumed it was a really big prison break. :v:

I think it was intended. They'd spawn every new day except if you were on the last case. They're one of the reasons I love the original so much, if you don't know what to do that entire area is super hard.

Honestly the whole game was hard until you started learning the tricks to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agoat posted:

I think it was intended. They'd spawn every new day except if you were on the last case. They're one of the reasons I love the original so much, if you don't know what to do that entire area is super hard.

Honestly the whole game was hard until you started learning the tricks to it.

Yeah, it was great. I did basically everything but 7 day survival and I think rescue all 50 survivors in one go. Dead Rising had the best demo too, it was just 2 hours in the starting area, so a good quarter of the game for free. When the whole game came out I knew exactly where to go for the more hidden stuff like the smg and katana.

It also starts with "Zombies huh? I had a feeling you'd show up." which is quite the cold open.

• Locked thread