Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
im pretty sure informing people about preventive health practices could be done both more efficiently, and more effectively without employing millions of marketing assholes with unlimited budgets who forego all messages for self indulgent PR stunts and corporate advertising

e.g. by making sure everybody has a GP who can hand them a leaflet or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The NFL likes to use big PR plays In order to distract from a number of problems with the league (long term effects of concussions, obscene amounts of public money spend on stadiums, instances where they interfered with the prosecution of their athletes for domestic violence), to the point where they're pretty much solely responsible for the domestic violence awareness brand No More. AND YET, when they pinkwash themselves every October, they know that they should work with the American Cancer Society instead of Komen.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

I don't know why anyone would want to demonize a drill bit as great as the Kymera XTreme Hybrid. Think about it. You get the shearing action of a PDC bit AND the rock crushing strength of a roller-cone, all in one design. Performance like that is extremely necessary in challenging carbonates and interbedded formations, where stick slip and vibration would destroy normal PDC bits or reduce the ROP of roller cones to a crawl.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oil! posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to demonize a drill bit as great as the Kymera XTreme Hybrid. Think about it. You get the shearing action of a PDC bit AND the rock crushing strength of a roller-cone, all in one design. Performance like that is extremely necessary in challenging carbonates and interbedded formations, where stick slip and vibration would destroy normal PDC bits or reduce the ROP of roller cones to a crawl.

good username/post combo

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

strongly agree

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's time for taylor swift to say something about neon genesis evangelion first though

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it takes courage to start a conversation on the subway because your fellow passengers are legally and morally entitled to kill you where you stand

i have this mysterious loyall x post saved:

quote:

i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

unreal

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

fun fact: big boy, one of the nuclear bombs we dropped on japan, was painted pink to commemorate breast cancer

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Zas posted:

it's time for taylor swift to say something about neon genesis evangelion first though

Yeah, she must not run away from this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

it seems that a lot of critics of Komen come from a medical background (she's a retired RN) so i think that realists kind of have a problem with the sort of cloying vibe
my mom is a retired doctor and breast cancer survivor, and she used to donate to Komen until the pro-life poo poo came through

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also isn't the susan g komen foundation one of the shittiest of all charities in terms of donating to actual cancer research

like I read a few years ago all they do is pay themselves a bunch of money and use the rest to "raise awareness", they give like nothing to breast cancer research

Yep. Komen is poo poo and really is the epitome of this thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zas posted:

unreal

it literally is unreal because it wasn't the Navy who painted the thing pink, it was some museum's dumb show of wokeness

it hasn't been owned by the Navy for decades

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

it literally is unreal because it wasn't the Navy who painted the thing pink, it was some museum's dumb show of wokeness

it hasn't been owned by the Navy for decades

you're neil degrasse tyson but for jokes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Homework Explainer posted:

y'know I'm truly glad I make you so upset

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

y'know I'm truly glad I make you so upset

The Puppet Master

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

unwoke brands
https://twitter.com/sueonthetown/status/788930923337220096

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
"The 16 Handles team deeply regrets any unintended harm our recent e-blast has caused."

wut?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
welcome to marketing email

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

e-blast rofl

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/greggsulkin/status/788791874228097024

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the cringiest wokeness

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Fidel Castronaut posted:

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the cringiest wokeness

http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/10/20/13347640/grab-her-by-the-brain-campaign-trump-sexual-assault-consent

quote:

The five “ambassadors” of the effort — who, according to their website biographies, include actors, an “event visionary,” and a “philanthropy enthusiast” — say their hope is for “females” to:

“Be valued for their contribution to our communities...

Participate in our society without the fear of being objectified...

Feel confident, able, and willing to achieve their greatest potential...

Have access to equal opportunities as their gender counterpart...”

lol

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'm this guy

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

http://thebaffler.com/salvos/degrasse-tyson-kriss-atheists

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemales

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

I don't know much about the Susan G Komen foundation in particular other than that's what people seem to say about it but "raising awareness" is actually a pretty good tool to fight breast cancer. Universal screening for breast cancer early is ultimately cheaper than allowing the cancer to develop and only treating advanced cases, and if society didn't hammer it in then fewer people would participate. Same thing with pap smears, colonoscopies, etc.

That's not true at all, we've long past "awareness" and gone into paranoia about breast cancer. Newer recommendations push screening out later, and dispose with manual checks entirely: http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/20/health/new-acs-breast-cancer-screening-guidelines/

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

If our only problem were that we were backward, we could always catch up. If the real challenge before us were a simple paucity of facts, we could always learn them. But the real horrors of the twenty-first century aren’t horrors of superstition and unreason, but the far more deadly horrors of a rationally administered world we are endlessly condemned to repeat. Our spherical earth is increasingly organized like one colossal factory, operating seamlessly and just in time, teeming with millions of tiny and unwilling workers, slurping up the expertise of ten thousand sharpened brains—and it’s not beautiful, it’s Hell. Everyone is wasting their lives. Everyone is unhappy. It’s not just you. The world is insane, insane in a way that doesn’t even require any of the announcements from its administrators to be factually untrue.
If anything, the more facts we learn, the more of the universe we manage to analyze, the more new space our colossally hosed-up social order has in which to reproduce its idiocy. The atheists are the ones who really love a bad and ugly reality; its mark is on them. They stand on the trembling skin of this planet as it boils giddily through infinite space, without any materials to critique this world—because the rational is dogmatically identified with the good, and because they’ve so thoroughly trained themselves out of believing in Hell that they can’t see the real one right in front of them.
1. some of the things that are currently true are bad
2. some of the people that sometimes say what is true are bad
3. nothing wrong with me
∴ facts are bad

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ah Pook posted:

3. nothing wrong with me
∴ facts are bad

*Nods Wokely*

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Ah Pook posted:

3. nothing wrong with me
∴ facts are bad

paging Squizzle, am I witnessing a gnostic atheist

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

oh yeah this article is a goldmine.

I think a system that gives you social credit for being a good person would be a really good thing to implement in America if it could be depoliticized.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If you read it with the ads enabled it reads like an insightful metacommentary on big data and the credit industry.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

:weed: woah

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yelp has taught us that nothing like this could possibly work.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
I think Sam kriss is a cool insightful dude

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

I think Sam kriss is a cool insightful dude

he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat in lf

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat in lf

Why is it that every time I find an interesting political writer it turns out they're a former Something Awful poster who everyone hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lf was a cointelpro operation to create a class of idiot radical writers to poison leftism for another generation