Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fisher Chemicals temporarily changed the color coded labeling of their lab supplies to promote breast cancer awareness. The problem is, the color coding reflects the grading and storage requirements of the chemical contents, so it's easy to see breaches of workplace safety when somebody misplaces a bottle of a dangerous compound. They decided to ignore that, because everybody knows that when handling chemicals, you should first and foremost consider the existence of cancer. It's extra funny because some of the pink labels obscured the classification of known potent carcinogens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

you're the kind of numbskull who defends sending urban legends as email forwards by claiming they somehow represent a larger truth

u showed him for besmirching are troops

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
im pretty sure informing people about preventive health practices could be done both more efficiently, and more effectively without employing millions of marketing assholes with unlimited budgets who forego all messages for self indulgent PR stunts and corporate advertising

e.g. by making sure everybody has a GP who can hand them a leaflet or something

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

devtesla posted:

why can't yall make a post about lena dunham without being weird and depressing, it's not hard

Why are you depressed that people dislike Lena Dunham for her privileged, smug attitude, Jastiger?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So I take it Hamilton is just another fad for bored bourgies to cling to as they try to convince themselves they are both progressive, and "with it".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Saurus posted:

so a MUSEUM literally defaced a historical piece of technology for the sake of wokeness?

dang

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Spider Covets posted:

Hello, this is my first time in Cspam.

Is that a pink tank with a giant middle finger on it

Yes, thank you for your custom.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This clinches it

Hail Trump

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nobody could predict such horrors.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope John Oliver gets deported in the first wave, preferably to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Liberals love themselves an army of pillaging, genocidal rapists swarming across a continent, while their nominal queen is being an ineffectual moron, pouting in a literal ivory tower and getting former slaves / peasants killed through negligence, huh.

Surprise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought Rowling wrote Voldemort as an allegory for Jeremy Corbyn.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

beep by grandpa posted:

Okay I really don't understand, what is the significance of performing a tribute song to an artist who just died but dressed as a losing presidential candidate?

Lorne Michaels famously hates Leonard Cohen. He originally wanted to have the tribute song performed by Adam Sandler dressed up as Idi Amin, blackface and all, but then, during one of his morphine-induced blackouts, the crew re-wrote the bit to be a little more subtle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/jessiejolly/status/797845421284556800

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What did this say before it was deleted?

"Lena Dunham, why won't you destroy your friend Taylor Swift for not campaigning against Donald Trump?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well What Now posted:

Hot take: Lena Dunham is closer to being Donald Trump than most of Trump's supporters are.

You are right, and in 2018 Donald and Lena will be photographed together at a White House reception because what they both care about is celebrity hunting and nothing more. Lena just thought Hillary was a bigger and easier to access / to ingratiate with celebrity than trump. But Trump will do as well.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sojenus posted:

could someone explain that hallelujah cover i really don't get how it relates to clinton and i feel like i'm missing something

i even looked at the lyrics and other than this clearly applicable line i don't get it:

I did my best, it wasn't much

Two sad things happened.

Next.

They need a Norm Macdonald episode to give us a closure over this election by reminding us that Bill Clinton murdered a guy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well What Now posted:

I remember Norm Macdonald... he's the guy who killed Vince Foster.

Correct. The masons then used the OJ Simpson "murder" sham trial to get Macdonald fired and isolated away from the public.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well What Now posted:

And who was the Masons' chief agent?

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

The CIA called in all their favours to get the Public Enemies made in 1996... But Frank's megalomania, fed by the knowledge that he helped the incumbent president get away with murder, combined with his peaking addiction to crack, caused the movie to flop. And thus the globalist plans unraveled, and the public became extremely woke, electing Donald Trump a mere two decades later.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reminder that Martha Stewart is a convicted thief.

Also I won't rest until she gives up the title to her vineyard island, no person should own that much land.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

are they gonna do this with everything now? anything in pop culture is "the comfort we sorely need" poo poo.

Jeez, lay off them, they need to move funcking product.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

weird twitter leftist podcast thing. im brand new to it, listened to the postelection one last night, but it seems ok

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house

Just listened to their podcast on Yemen, not only is it the most concise and objective analysis of the Yemen - Saudi anbabasis I've heard, it also made me despise Clinton with new passion.

10/10

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Parts Kit posted:

The whole "abuela" thing was really confusing since it seemed like a pretty clear case of that cultural appropriation thing folks couldn't shut the gently caress up about 7-8 months ago.

The cultural appropriation people make approx. 0.001% of population, most liberals are merely paternalistic and gatekeep other cultures so that only the good guys get to use them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

do you just use words you hear randomly

Don't you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Back during the invasion of Crimea and the opening stages of the separatist war in Ukraine, they had a reporter, Simon Ostrovsky, who made daily dispatches from the frontlines, and also filmed extensive evidenceof Russian presence, simply by talking to locals in the affected areas. IIRC he also contributed image evidence to the Brown Moses investigations.

It was the only serious English language coverage of Ukraine at that time.

So they did at least one thing right.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Nov 23, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can you explain Trump's election with Twilight metaphors?
Clinton was like Edward, a distant, cold and uncaring vampire who is in an abusive relationship with an impressionable, obsessive and dumb young girl (hint: America). The relationship is built literally on nothing except some aesthetic ideal that Edward represents to Bella America. In fact Edward keeps abandoning her for long periods of times, and only appears occasionally for short periods of time (hint: election) when their relationship appears to evolve into something more meaningful, but then he always leaves her again, supposedly for her own good but realistically for his own selfish reasons, often to carouse with billionaire vampire elders, as all the other vampires seem to function reasonably well around America, and Edward is the only one who is an awkward sperglord with the personality of a dead rabbit (vampires eat dead rabbits, so this is a joke for you Twilightheads). The other vampires are alternative Democratic nominees, such as Bernie Sanders, represented by Alice Cullen, who has the incredible psychic power of predicting the future through perfect empathy with all living creatures (Bernie Sanders used this power to summon a bird of peace to his rally) - Sanders predicts the upcoming class battle between the establishment (represented by a thinly disguised ripped-off World of Darkness Ventrue clan in the books) and the disenfranchised proletariat of all the other characters on the frozen surface of a lake - this is a metaphor for the precarious state of the world in face of the climate change.

Trump is like Jacob, an unlikable, self-obsessed hothead with an attitude issue and a shallow physical lust for America, which he tries to feebly rationalize in his platitudes to her. He is the opposite of Edward, while Edward would keep America hanging for extended periods of time, only appearing at strategic junctures to temporarily reinforce his relationship with America, Jacob is basically a stalker, who appears downright pathetic and seems to do his more harm than good to his chances with America with his constant attempts to talk her into leaving Edward for good and becoming his girlfriend instead. However, much like Trump, Jacob reveals that he has several trumps up his sleeve - first, he becomes a vampire, thus reversing the powerplay between him and Edward, whose frail physique makes him seem weak, and reminds one of a sufferer of some disease, perhaps even consumption (or pneumonia!), second, he represents the interests of the citizens of America (his Native American tribesmen) against the arrogant, violent newcomers (the aristocratic, yet bloodthirsty Anglo-Saxon vampires who are intruders in Jacob's land). It doesn't need to be mentioned that this is a striking parallel to the Trump platform of protecting the territorial and demographic integrity of his country against a legion of rapists and terrorists.

Now, in the books Bella chooses Edward over Jacob, but therein lies the real genius of Stephenie Meyer. Remember that the books were written during the Obama presidency - Bella here represents the naive America wowed by the Obama campaign, surrendering herself to his charms, even though it in effect means that the first sight that ignited her love would put her under the sell of Obama's natural follower, the uncharismatic, selfish Hillary (Obama is the side of Edward that made Bella fall in love with him, Hillary is the side that makes her relationship with him abusive and unsustainable). However, by doing so this America turns into yet another lifeless vampire. Now our gaze must turn towards Bella's newborn child, the product of her unholy bond with Edward (establishment Democrats), though which America itself was seemingly turned into a domain of ivory tower elites with no place for the common man. But Renesme, the child, has in fact warm blood coursing through her veins, she is the future of America, not Bella, and Jacob Trump sees it, he imprints on the newborn, and thus is symbolically described the dynamic of this election - the aging coalition of people who elected Obama is too lifeless, too disenchanted to really effect the world outside the circles of Establishment vampires, even though they are nominally bound to Democrats through marriage to Hillary Cullen, there is no life in them that could stop their descent into irrelevance. But they gave life to a new political being, Renesme, which is an antithesis of its parents, you can imagine her as all the expunged, abandoned life force of Bella / America coalescing into a new form, a fertile soil to be tilled by Trump - Jacob and his lustful, energetic, albeit naive and brutish way.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 13:49 on Nov 23, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have now convinced myself that Twilight is the most insightful piece of literature of this century.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Homework Explainer posted:

why did you do this

Demand driven economy of posts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

some analyst said "hey a bunch of our customers are black we should maybe pander to them" and they immediately decided to create a sub-brand focused on the specific task of separating black people from their money

thats where their heart is

I think Trump Baby Hands may be onto something with his sincerely held belief that the McDonalds corporation is a beautiful assemblage of people with great hearts. I don't think I've ever heard a more sincere endorsement than Mr. Trump Baby Hands heartfelt statement that he love how McDonalds "is literally murdering every soul on the planet via deforestation and cow farts"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's at least one bar / pub located inside the trunk cavity of a baobab tree.

I suggest that McDonald's should affirm their progressive commitments by transporting frown baobabs to the US and launch a network of baobab-based joints to promote black culture.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i loving love engaging with brands

Nothing like throwing a brick through a McDonald's storefront #McNgaged365

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Prav posted:

trump may have won but branding the gays is going a bit far imo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
im curious what the alt right is

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Best Giraffe posted:

Isn't "patronizing" the exact right word to use, even down to the gendered prefix?

Death to all millennials (especially me)

Stop mansplaining your big words to me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so apperently he also mentions he wont allow his daughter to play mario games because of this

So some good came out of this saga after all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's a way to talk about issues while remaining respectful and considerate of the "less enlightened" people. Such articles realize they need to fulfill a certain didactic function to be effective, and that in order to be didactic, they need to start out from a broadly relatable point and work gradually, in a structured fashion, to the for many people transgressive opinion that is their point.

However nowadays so many articles, like the Mario one, are written for the sole purpose of masturbating the author's ego and to challenge the world to a pissing match over wokeness, and as a result are antagonizing to everybody who doesn't already agree with him, and even to many people who do in fact principally hold the same views.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Lol I know reactionary is too strong a word but these right leaning people who consider themselves to be "apolitical" are the worst.

The technical and correct term is privileged. It's one of the few cases when "privileged" would actually see a proper use.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

This is heresy and an affront to God.

But enough about Hillary's campaign.

But enough about Hamilton.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

papa_november posted:

you seem to be implying that "(telling) high school girls how to look good for prom and what to buy if you wanna steal the look of the young celebrity icon of the moment" is in some way a more noble cause than political posturing

lol, they sell a product, they are not a political :discourse: organization

imagine buying a bag of cornflakes, and when you open it most of the space is filled with crumpled political pamphlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Leni Riefenstahl was a hero who disrupted the Nazi regime with her strong woman narrative, and empowered death camp inmates by giving them roles as extras in movies. We need more great political protest art like that.