Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I am fully woke, Completely Chill, I've never melted down and my monitor is always on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Fisher Chemicals temporarily changed the color coded labeling of their lab supplies to promote breast cancer awareness. The problem is, the color coding reflects the grading and storage requirements of the chemical contents, so it's easy to see breaches of workplace safety when somebody misplaces a bottle of a dangerous compound. They decided to ignore that, because everybody knows that when handling chemicals, you should first and foremost consider the existence of cancer. It's extra funny because some of the pink labels obscured the classification of known potent carcinogens.

This just seems so fake to me. I mean it probably happened, but its just so loving stupid that it's challenging my critical skills.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

also isn't the susan g komen foundation one of the shittiest of all charities in terms of donating to actual cancer research

like I read a few years ago all they do is pay themselves a bunch of money and use the rest to "raise awareness", they give like nothing to breast cancer research

Yep. Komen is poo poo and really is the epitome of this thread.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ah Pook posted:

1. some of the things that are currently true are bad
2. some of the people that sometimes say what is true are bad
3. nothing wrong with me
∴ facts are bad

*Nods Wokely*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I really hate this aspect of social media. No one is obligated to take a stand on anything, regardless of how many followers they have, in fact I'd even consider JohnGHendy to be harassing Taylor Swift in this case.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

devtesla posted:

reasonable, tho personally I think it's worth understanding the mindset of celebrities, since what they do has such a large effect on people.

lol what the gently caress

In twitter lingo it's "subtweeting." Basically you are a person with some followers and you say "hey person X is bad" then surprise, surprise, some subset of your followers goes and harasses person X. With great power (followers) comes great responsibility. Though I'd argue that one of those responsibilities isn't to give your hot-take on anything. That said lol if you believe in harassment on the internet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Do you think Dead Ken is wearing a pink Keffiyeh?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:monocle:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

nah that's usual for non size-0 women in that pose without photoshop. dont bring it down to appearance when there are other legitimate reasons to mock it

Guess my non-size 0 wife is unusual then :grin:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

The anatomy of the hand is complex, intricate, and fascinating. Its integrity is absolutely essential for our everyday functional living. Our hands may be affected by many disorders, most commonly traumatic injury. For any physician or therapist treating hand problems, the mastery of such anatomy is fundamental in order to provide the best quality of care. Surface anatomy of the left hand. A is the dorsum of the left hand, and B is the palm of the left hand. Number 1 is the position of the extensor retinaculum, 2 is the position of the flexor retinaculum, 3 is the position of the head of the metacarpals, 4 is the ulnar artery, 5 is the radial artery, 6 is the level of the deep palmar arch, and 7 is the level of the superficial palmar arch. A total of 27 bones constitute the basic skeleton of the wrist and hand. The hand is innervated by 3 ner

Cool. Lena sucks a lot and has since before anyone had heard of her.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That seems like normal feminism, or even "momism".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Peanut President posted:

Is he advocating that we blow up the government

Using ~Magic~

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah! You know who's to blame for the rise in global fascism? That woman who got famous even though her body doesn't give you a boner.

:yikes:

#unwoke

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from what i can tell, it means that minorities/oppressed/all that are safe with you and have nothing to fear. the concept is nice but some people have taken it to retarded levels.

I consider people feeling safe around me "normal" without need to broadcast it. I wonder why others have that pathological need to signal their tolerance?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

G.C. Furr III posted:

dems comparing poo poo to hogwarts is like retarded as hell but heres my take on what should be the actual comparCLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING

#woke

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I want to smack every single person who writes an article titled "Why _______________ matters more/is more important than ever"

Why my unique victim status matters more then ever...(it's because I am totally replaceable).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

snakeandbake posted:

The time for being incredibly wrong is over, friend.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You know what a great idea is? Let your ideological opponents define your position.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

actually its the evil nerds who are responsible for our current troubles.

http://archive.is/RaYAa

5th paragraph until they got to their clickbait, nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So wearing a safety pin is basically like going around telling everyone that you aren't racist right?

Because that seems hosed up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

blamegame posted:

I don't like the phrase 'virtue signaling,' in fact I hate it, but the safety pin does seem like one of those things.

But I don't get people who are really loving bothered by it or find it just the most hilarious though. Like who cares? They're just people. It's so much more funny when brands or w/e do this stuff

The main thing I dislike about virtue signaling, which is absolutely a word you should use and call people out on, is the lack of sincerity. Sincerity is important because if you don't care about something, say LBGT people, then as soon as it isn't popular anymore you'll go right back to hating them or, at best attempting to ignore them.

A topical example is Hillary Clinton and BLM. She cared about them as much as she needed to for their votes, but as soon as she was approached by them she and her friends started hissing and ignoring. The reason? Lack of sincerity.

The other reason it's a bad thing for lovely people is that it creates a false moral superiority without the required critical thinking to back it up. Why should we care about BLM? Why should we care about LBGT? I can answer these questions, the people wearing whatever fad and doing it for likes, can't. The result being they will just as easily support a registry for Muslim immigrants as long as the branding makes them feel good. It's intellectually bankrupt and shouldn't be supported.

It also leads to an "us vs them" mentality which is extremely unhealthy for society and guess who gets hurt in such a polarized society?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
But many c-spam posters will defend Kanye, assuming he runs as a D as the best possible option, even before the 2020 primary starts.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

crazy cloud posted:

Yeah, sup. I'm right here. President Kanye. Why not? gently caress it.

Well I don't have anything against him participating in the primary. President requires him to think about more then just the present. Otherwise sure.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

look where that attitude got us

I know that HRC has left a sour taste in your mouth, but I feel like Dems can be better then that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Bahahaha.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LinYutang posted:

i apologize for bringing up gamergate in any manner

Twitter should ban people who bring up gamergate in propos to anything.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That is literally what identity politics is, and hopefully there is no need to explain why it sucks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mrmcd posted:

Today in our failed media experiment: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/public-editor/brooklyn-nets-liz-spayd-public-editor-ethics.html

You see, we were justified in totally ignoring our ethics policy to accept $6,100 in gifts in exchange for an extended advertisement for the local poo poo basketball team, because otherwise we would've never spent that kind of money to cover the local poo poo basketball team. But don't worry we were really snarky and woke in the ad copy we wrote and published for them.

quote:

Corbett said the editors took care to be upfront in telling readers that the Nets offered the exclusive package at no cost in order to get publicity. (Indeed, the story did make that clear near the top of the piece.)

IMO, disclosure goes a long way in righting ethical wrongs, especially in journalism. Though I could see it argued either way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fullhouse posted:

marketing products to minors is Bad now? well,

All marketing is an extension of capitalism, and thus is bad.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

this thread is a loving garbage fire

hot take

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Jeselnik is really good and absolutely gives no fucks about PC culture, while simultaneously refusing to self-censor.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

withak posted:

IMO if your community manager knows that Pepe exists but is unaware of what Pepe means these days then the/she should probably be fired for being totally out of touch with the internet.

Pepe is a cartoon frog who reflects the true desires of the viewer.

What's he mean "these days" to you?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

The actual story is that Lowtax went on one of his rare spikes of forum activity and started banning people without consulting with mods, which caused bunch of them to get pissy and give up their stars.

Good.

devtesla posted:

I like my story better.

Plagiarism (it was originally my story).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anyone actually prefer Dippin' Dots to real ice cream?

It's an occasional interesting treat that is flash frozen with liquid nitrogen, so it has a different texture and both texture and flavor are important parts of the "Snacking Experience." Your question creates a false dichotomy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have enjoyed Dippin' Dots on occasion, but always in the situation where Dippin' Dots were the only frozen treat immediately available. My question is: are there people who, when presented with both Dippin' Dots and regular ice cream, would choose Dippin' Dots more often than regular ice cream?

I would occasionally choose dippin dots over other ice cream, but other ice cream is usually more fulfilling.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/CraigRBrittain/status/826135736021721088

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

3/4 of your income on rent and roaches for everybody!!!!!!

Lowest standard of living in America!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

*decrys digital divide*
*Actively works against measures to improve things*
*~so woke~*

Garbage organizations. In the best case these organizations are too loving stupid to hold an opinion about why net-neutrality is important, but more likely they don't care as long as the leadership gets paid.