Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This is an Interest Post.

I haven't played Twilight 2000 more than a handful of times, and that back in the mid-90s, but hell, could be interesting to try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Let's see what we can do here. It's been forever and I remember virtually nothing of the system, so I'm probably gonna screw this up, but c'est la vie, no?

I'm gonna make a guy named Ezekiel "Zeke" White, hailing from the backwoods of Appalachia.

Attribute Rolls: 6#4d6-4 5 5 10 16 9 7 god those are some lovely rolls

FIT 9
AGL 5
CON 10
STA 16
INT 7
EDU 5
TOT 52

Dumb as a post, slow, oddly doughy, but he can work for daaaaaaayyyyyyyys.

STR 13 (do I round up or down? I rounded up)

Hit Capacity:
Head 10
Chest 39
All Others 26

Throw Range 26
Weight 104
Load 36

Military Experience Base: (120-TOT)/7 = 9.714, round to 10
Combat Time and Rads: 2#10d6 41 32
41 months in combat (wow!), 32 rads

Coolness Under Fire: 10-1d6-TIME/10 = 10-(http://orokos.com/roll/423459: 1d6 3)-4 = 3

N is 1. Time/12 is 3.416, rounds to 3. So: 3+5+8+(http://orokos.com/roll/423460: 1d6 2) = 18

(an 18 year old who's seen 41 months of combat. Well, he's a big boy, he probably lied about his age to join the service)

Army and Nationality: Player's Choice, eh? Let's go with U.S. Army, as I get a real "Ah learned ta shoot down on' pappy's farm" vibe here

Native Languages: I guess I'll say 1-10 for Spanish, 11-12 German, 13-14 Italian, 15 Polish, 16 Yiddish, 17-100 English. Languages: 1d100 65 English it is!

Officer: yes if INT (7) + EDU (5) is greater than or equal to 2d6+16. This would be literally impossible, so I won't roll. Enlisted man it is.

Rank Number: http://orokos.com/roll/423463: 1d6 2 gives an N of -1, so that totals out to 3.

Rank: Sergeant. "Don' call me sir, boy, ah work f'r a livin'"

Specialty: I'm assuming the way it works is 'pick a specialty and see if you qualify with a 2d6 roll? I'm not sure. Anyways, I rolled http://orokos.com/roll/423465: 2d6 8 which could qualify me for dang near anything but if I'm getting a choice I'm grabbing Infantryman because why pick an MOS that requires thinking when I could just make a career out of 'go where you're told and shoot things'? So the Specialty Benefits will be 20 points in each of Combat Rifleman and Heavy Weapons.

I will pick out skills and kit once someone's had a chance to look at this and tell me whether or not I screwed anything up. EDIT: It occurs to me that I'm not sure if I was supposed to assign my stat rolls or simply apply them in the rolled order; I did the former. Hopefully that's forgiveable because I kinda like the notion of playing the big dumb guy.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 1, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'd like to congratulate DCB on rolling up Forrest Gump

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you... hang on a second..." *raises assault rifle to shoulder, aims at nearby civilian* "BOY YOU DON'T SHOW ME YORE HANDS IMMA PUT A BULLET IN YORE BRAINPAN, YOU SPEAK MERICAN WHEN YOU SURRENDER TO ME"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I am slow and also kinda dumb, lemme finish my dude

Ezekiel "Zeke" White, hailing from the backwoods of Appalachia.

FIT 9
AGL 5
CON 10
STA 16
INT 7
EDU 5
TOT 52

Dumb as a post, slow, oddly doughy, but he can work for daaaaaaayyyyyyyys.

STR 13

Hit Capacity:
Head 10
Chest 39
All Others 26

Throw Range 26
Weight 104
Load 36

Military Experience Base: 10
Combat Time and Rads: 2#10d6 41 32
41 months in combat (wow!), 32 rads

Coolness Under Fire: 3

(an 18 year old who's seen 41 months of combat. Well, he's a big boy, he probably lied about his age to join the service)

Army and Nationality: U.S. Army

Native Languages: English

Officer: No

Rank Number: 3

Rank: Sergeant. "Don' call me sir, boy, ah work f'r a livin'"

Specialty: Infantryman

Specialty benefits: CRM 20, HW 20

Skill Points:
Military (MEB*40): 400
Education (EDU*20): 100
Background: 300

Skills!
CRM (Combat Rifleman) 80
MC (Melee Combat) 60
BC (Body Combat) 60
WVD (Wheeled Vehicle Driver) 60
TW (Thrown Weapon) 80
SWM (Swimming) 60
HW (Heavy Weapons) 20
FRM (Farming) 80
FSH (Fishing) 80
EQ (Equestrian) 60
FOR (Forage) 80
RCN (Recon) 80
PST (pistol) 80
HB (Hunting Bow) 60
BiO (Biology) 40

Body Combat Damage: 1+1d6 (I... I think?)

Base Hit Numbers (Close, Med, Long)
CRM 48,24,8
PST 48,24,8
HW 12,6,2
LCG 00,00,00
HB 36,18,6

Equipment Purchase Allowance (500*Time): 20500

Longbow (300)
--144 arrows (400)
.45 Automatic Pistol (100)
--case of 300 bullets (63)
--3 7-round magazines (21)
M16A2 (400)
--2 cases of bullets, 560 total (200)
--4 20-round magazines (80)
--Bayonet (20)
.22 Bolt Action Rifle (150)
--case of 1600 bullets (225)
Knife (5)
Hatchet (20)
Case of 30 Fragmentation Grenades (100)
Case of 16 CHEM (HC Smoke) Grenades (40)
Horse (broken) (1000)
Basic Tool Kit (200)
Small Arms Tool Kit (200)
4X Binoculars (100)
Kevlar Flak Jacket (800)
Ballistic Nylon Helmet (100)
2 sets fatigues (100)
Rucksack (20)
Flashlight (20)
Combat Webbing (10)
Sleeping Bag (50)
Thermal Fatigues (100)
Parka (150)
4-man tent (100)
Horse Tack (50)
Pack Saddle (40)

...that comes out to 5164, leaving another 15336 to spend (holy poo poo). I'll probably pick up some more animals and such but I'm going to hold off for a little bit until I get some feedback, I hope that's okay; I'm just looking at that number and boggling.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

Nah, PinheadSlim houseruled the starting monies:

So 41 months*250 is 10250, which is still a hell of a a lot. Buy all the guns man.

Oh good, only 5086 left to spend. :shepspends:

Current plan is "some more guns, another horse and tack, maybe a mule" but I'm still gonna give it a little bit for more feedback, I think.

Also, if it's not entirely obvious, Zeke is built to survive in the woods. Hunting, fishing, farming, bows. The life of a caveman is really not going to bother him. This is my attempt to balance out the fact that he probably reads at a fourth-grade level and speaks exactly zero local languages. :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Man, I hope this one didn't die already, that would be depressing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

I was in Ireland for the weekend, been meaning to post. :v:

But yes I hope the others still care

PbP games need the occasional kick in the rear end, in my experience; especially if they fall off the first page of someone's bookmarked threads it can be hard to keep momentum. Thus, the occasional "hey is everyone still around" post helps, I find.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Sweet driving roll. I guess you just do a sick wheelie, ramp off the buring T-72, and land on the looters?

You know what to do, PinheadSlim

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pinhead, what's our range?

Also I just realized I need to wait and see what Drives does, because my natural inclination is to take an action to Aim before each shot, but you can't Aim from a moving vehicle.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The M16 has a Short range of 50 meters; that means Medium range is 100 meters and 150 meters is Long range.

The target number on a direct fire attack is (Skill)*0.6 at Short range, (Skill)*0.3 at Medium, and (Skill)*0.1 at Long.

What that means is that at 50 meters away, with a CRM of 80, Zeke (and anyone else with a skill at 80) needs a 48 on a d100 to hit the bad guys, at 51-100 meters it's a 24, and at 101-150 it's an 8. Now, if you take an Action to Aim you double that number (so 96, 48, 16), so aiming helps a lot - and you can't aim from a moving vehicle. Having said that, right now we're at Medium range if we're lucky; odds are we're at Long, so getting a hit isn't that likely even if we aim.

It might not be a terrible idea to take a round to get closer - but Forums Terrorist's concerns about damage to our vehicle isn't a small issue. It's a trade-off; if we get closer we have a chance to hit the bad guys without using up all our bullets, but we put our vehicle at greater risk.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

For further info:

If we stop and get out, a soldier on foot can crawl 2 meters in an action, walk 8 meters, trot 15 meters, and run 30 (!) meters, so we can definitely close the gap without the Humvee. If we do decide to drive forward, the HMMWV has a listed combat speed of 70/25; these are, if I'm reading these fairly arcane rules properly, the safe speeds on-road and off-road. So the HMMWV can cover 70 meters safely (we're on a dirt road IIRC, so it might be smarter to drop that down to 50 meters or so to lower the odds of a mishap) in a single action, giving us 5 actions left this turn to do things like 'find cover' and 'shoot baddies' - though I'm presuming that 'get out and take cover and/or drop prone' would take an action in and of itself.

So if we take the 'drive closer before engaging' option, Action One would take place inside the vehicle (shooting or just holding on, whichever), Action Two would be exiting the vehicle (maybe Drives could put the thing in reverse and back it out of easy engagement range while we do this?), and Actions Three Through Six would be firing.

If we take the 'start shooting immediately' option, we can engage from the HMMWV immediately, or take an action to exit it and then start shooting and/or moving on our own.

(Please correct me if I have any of this wrong, PinheadSlim)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

Too late, I already did the thing.

Yes but it was a good thing IMHO. :D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

It looks like you're getting a grasp on the specific rules of this game, which is impressive lol. Once everyone has posted their actions I'll resolve the combat turn. Just saw your post in the game thread, looks like you did everything right to me!

It helps having... ah... found a copy of the 1st edition box set to peruse. :D

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mustache Ride posted:

So if I'm reading these rules right, I've still got 3 combat actions left?

So far:
Action 1: Drive closer
Action 2: Drive closer

Right?

You get six actions (one action a round, six rounds in a turn). So if you're using two actions for Drive Closer, you can use the other four to do whatever else.

So you could go "1. Drive Closer 2. Drive Closer 3. Come to a stop while turning the side of the vehicle towards the enemy so that any incoming fire hits the side and not the engine block 4. Shoot 5. Shoot 6. Shoot"

Or you could go "1. Drive Closer 2. Drive Closer 3. Drive really fast and try to hit a dude with the Humvee 4. Drive further away 5. Turn around 6. Drive really fast and try to hit the other dude with the Humvee"

Or anything else, really.

(Yes, you can run people down with your vehicle. Yes, there appear to be rules for that sort of thing. No, I'm not 100% on how they work just yet but there are rules for whether or not you panic like a deer in the headlights when someone is trying to do it to you, so there must be rules for doing it to someone else, right?)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Excellently rolled, the enemy failed their firing rolls miserably lol.

I was all set to say "Hey that soldier crumpled pretty fast" but then I found the section on NPC health:

quote:

It is not necessary to keep track of hits to NPCs or animals in detail, and this simplified rule reduces bookkeeping. (If the referee decides that a particular NPC is of special importance, he may treat him as a player character.) NPCs have only a single hit capacity, equal to 2D10 x 2.

...and went "Ohhhhhh, that's right, mooks are crunchy in this game."

That is a heck of a relief, I've gotta say.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

A thought struck me, and while it would never strike Zeke, I can't help but think that a working Game Boy that escaped destruction could indicate a bunker somewhere or other, somewhere that escaped the effect of the EMPs.

Somewhere that might be important for us to know about, sometime down the line. Just saying.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sorry for the doublepost, but:

Psst PinheadSlim what do I find in the truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Sorry, I edited my last post in the game thread :D

No worries, I figured you just missed it. :)

Also, since I'm assuming we'll come across a supply cache or three with all our various "starting equipment" in it ('cause I'm pretty sure if we already had the poo poo we all bought we'd never fit in a Humvee), I figure I should buy the rest of my poo poo, huh? I had $5086 left to spend.

Let's grab:

AT-4 Antitank Missile Launcher (3000)
--1 missile (750)
(typically the AT4 is designed as a single-shot disposable unit but since the game gives me the ability to buy ammo for it I'm assuming we're using some kind of retrofit or whatever)
Case of 20 blocks of plastic explosive (650)
Mule (600)
--Pack Saddle (40)

Leaving $46 in assorted gold coins and/or trade goods.

• Locked thread