Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
This is Luke Aikins.

He does skydiving and stuff, and he must be tired of it, because tonight he's going to jump out of a plane at 25,000 feet with no parachute or other safety equipment.

He's planning to land on this and hopes he won't miss and it won't kill him or trampoline him over a nearby cliff.

quote:

The landing target, which has been described as similar to a fishing trawler net, has been tested repeatedly using dummies.

One of those 200-pound (91-kilogram) dummies didn't bounce out. It crashed right through.

Honestly, this is less retarded and dangerous than most wingsuiter bullshit.

It's an hour program on Fox tonight at 8:00 pm EDT.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/29/daredevil-to-attempt-jumping-out-plane-at-25000-feet-without-parachute.html

So what do you think about idiots? Or specifically ones that try to kill themselves by falling? Wingsuit discussion welcoem too,

In conclusion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

a commercial filled hour for a 2 minute stunt

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
will be checking back here later to see if he survived, thanks!!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

How much does Red Bull stand to make from this, OP

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

good thing for the sponsors is it doesn't matter if he lives or dies!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

much like all of capitalist-democracy LMAO!! (rimshot)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is this a metaphor for libertarian-ism?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

nomadologique posted:

will be checking back here later to see if he survived, thanks!!
He did not.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBN3xfGrx_U

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I was waiting for a thread on this.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
People going out into the world to live out their dreams and dying is always very sad to me: I hope this skydiver lives.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Are any of the betting sites that let you bet on weird stuff taking action on this? Cause I want to put money on him missing the target entirely.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Gonna be pretty graphic if he misses. I forget, do people bounce or will he just turn into a long smear?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I want to watch so I can hear the presenters say things like "oh my god" and "the unthinkable has happened"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Prawned posted:

Gonna be pretty graphic if he misses. I forget, do people bounce or will he just turn into a long smear?

I think the will explode.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is there any way to watch this live outside the US?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I will watch this

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I want to watch so I can hear the presenters say things like "oh my god" and "the unthinkable has happened"

I think events like this are what the live feed delay are for probably. The best may end up being left to our grisly imaginations

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So when this guy dies will the next step be strapping a rocket to your back and pointing face down then trying to land in a swimming pool doing 500mph?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Come to think of it though, isn't jumping from 25,000 feet kind of wasteful showboating? He'd go just as fast if he jumped out of a plane a mere 2000 feet in the air. You don't even need a a plane to do that!

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
don't bother

they never show people dying on TV

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Octatonic posted:

Come to think of it though, isn't jumping from 25,000 feet kind of wasteful showboating? He'd go just as fast if he jumped out of a plane a mere 2000 feet in the air. You don't even need a a plane to do that!

I'm assuming he's going in a wing suit so the extra distance is to give him time to aim himself.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
ill wait for the gif

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bookmarking this thread, if it suddenly explodes into 10+ pages I'll know something bad happened.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I was really loving happy when that empty glory-hound piece of poo poo Steve Fossett died of ballon-circumnavigation related causes.

At least with this guy its a one shot deal where he wont be polluting the airwaves like ol' Steve used to.

Even if Luke Atkins lives, at least he has to do something different the next time out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I hope he makes it.

But is travelling so fast that he pushes through the fabric of the net thing like a Play-Do barbershop playset.

But with his flesh instead of Play-doh.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was waiting for a thread on this.

I sing this to the tune of Girl Like You by Foreigner.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Why is it, gbs scientists, that if you fell out of an airplane, you could not just aim for a lake?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Bananana posted:

Why is it, gbs scientists, that if you fell out of an airplane, you could not just aim for a lake?

Because at the speed you get to from that height, water = solid, basically

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

I Greyhound posted:

This is Luke Aikins.

He does skydiving and stuff, and he must be tired of it, because tonight he's going to jump out of a plane at 25,000 feet with no parachute or other safety equipment.

He's planning to land on this and hopes he won't miss and it won't kill him or trampoline him over a nearby cliff.

Honestly, this is less retarded and dangerous than most wingsuiter bullshit.

It's an hour program on Fox tonight at 8:00 pm EDT.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/29/daredevil-to-attempt-jumping-out-plane-at-25000-feet-without-parachute.html

So what do you think about idiots? Or specifically ones that try to kill themselves by falling? Wingsuit discussion welcoem too,

In conclusion:

:goonsay:

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Prawned posted:

A human is basically the same as a water balloon.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm assuming he's going in a wing suit so the extra distance is to give him time to aim himself.

I still say it is emblematic of the excesses of our decadent era. Why not a more austere death-defying stunt? Hmph. :colbert:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
If he lives, it's not worth watching. If he dies, I'll see the animated gif in the morning.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
You think if he jumped nude the wind would mess up his unit/testicles? Is that what terminal velocity means? I don't know much about badass extreme stuff but I like to think I know a bit about penis and wind shear.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Peebla posted:

You think if he jumped nude the wind would mess up his unit/testicles? Is that what terminal velocity means? I don't know much about badass extreme stuff but I like to think I know a bit about penis and wind shear.

depends if hes a grower or a show-er

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Peebla posted:

Somewhere out there is an equation that describes the velocity and wind resistance required to tear a man's junk clean off.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
It'll be a hell of a gif. Multiple angles no doubt.

*whap*

*whap*

*super slowmo whaaaapppbbbfhtpt*

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just uh flare some at the end. It'll be fine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Protagonist posted:

It'll be a hell of a gif. Multiple angles no doubt.

*whap*

*whap*

*super slowmo whaaaapppbbbfhtpt*

It'll sound more like a 'splat' imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
This guy did a naked skydive and came out ok but then again look at how small that peen

• Locked thread