Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
The show's pretty good for what it is. It's certainly a power fantasy about the lazy genius protagonist who practices the forbidden art of the scientific method and disrespects authority but it's kept within reasonable limits. Every member of the team has a special skill (except Matthew apparently???) and the protagonist does get restrained and rebuked by Yatori whenever he pops off on an authority figure. I was glad he was smart enough not to disrespect the Emperor. If he'd done that and got away with it, I'd have dropped the show right there. The dialogue is pretty sharp and Ikta and Yatori have a fun dynamic.

The tactics deployed are relatively sensible by anime standards. It was pretty cool to see them discuss defeat in detail, the imperfect nature of information on the battlefield, and so on. I also really enjoyed Yatori's massacre in the latest episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMRkh3jy8-w

There's a certain weight to the act of killing thus far in the show, even in the aftermath of Yatori murdering everything in the most anime way possible. Hopefully they'll be able to sustain that going forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Sometimes nobles who get into military academies are driven, focused, and talented individuals ie Yattori. Sometimes they're impulsive idiots there on nepotism who get by because their younger brother is clearly more competent than they are. Ikta picking up an easy win here without being able to wipe out the enemy force entirely is not unreasonable.

What will be unreasonable is if every battle going forwards is that easy. Truthfully they probably will be but I'll complain about it then, not before.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

That's some... interesting screenwriting going on.

If the show is 13 episodes long it will never get to book seven so it doesn't matter. It probably will be. If it's 26 episodes long they might just be able to get there but they're not going to get any further anyway.

Ranting about 'objective character importance' makes you sound like a 'butthurt reader', whatever that even means. It's okay for people to have opinions about fiction.

Putting all of that tedious and spoiler-filled guff aside, this was another fun episode. I just wish our protagonist hadn't stumbled on Big Plot Relevant Thing by complete accident at the end.

• Locked thread