Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

So I built a few of these

pic borrowed

My best man, my dad, another guy I know all have them. I loved the one I sold to my best man. Accurate, reliable, useful. I built these on Aero lowers way back when. Before they changed the logo. My dads has a Bushnell 223 scope, my best man has a Primary arms red-dot and riser, and the other has a MBUS.

I built this thing of beauty, and my wife asked that I build her a light Faxon barrel build. She loves the Eotech. We kept the Eotech for the next build. SOCOM barrel, ALG QMS, original Aero lower, hand dyed magpul stuff. That pos from sight was only on the gun for the initial pictures.

More recently, I built these abominations, both for friends with full disclosure. Both have Freedom stainless PENCIL barrels. One has a Simmons scope. Yes.. a Simmons. THEY BOTH LOVE THEM.

My greatest sin, before there was an internet as we know it today (think 1994-1995) was butchering this innocent arsenal refinished SKS

Although it is very useful an utilitarian, I wish it were original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

I don't own this, but I want it, I don't know why.

I would call it Extremely Questionable however.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/574240794

I think it's probably a Microsight job, like 1960ish.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

My buddy bought me a Sears brand sixteen gauge bolt action shotgun in exchange for writing a paper in college. It was on the shelf for forty dollars. The stock was held together with wood screws and when I took the action out, a bunch of feathers came with it. I painted it candy apple red and added a really lovely racing stripe (so it would go faster).

Then I tried to shoot it and it doesn't strike primers hard enough, and I can't figure out how to take the bolt apart to replace the firing pin spring.

No regrets

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Every now and then TFR has some hot gun/caliber of the moment and I go out and buy something based on it and every-time I end up wishing I hadn't.

Its not necessarily that they are lovely guns, but more that I should have just bought what I wanted instead of buying whatever TFR was going gaga about.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

this one time, at band camp

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Numlock posted:

Every now and then TFR has some hot gun/caliber of the moment and I go out and buy something based on it and every-time I end up wishing I hadn't.

Its not necessarily that they are lovely guns, but more that I should have just bought what I wanted instead of buying whatever TFR was going gaga about.

It's OK as long as you stick to G_d's calibers: .22lr, .30 Luger, .223, and 6.5x55SE.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

I wanted a .308. I also liked Enfields.

AN ISHAPORE YOU SAY???

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The shittiest gun I bought was a Swedish AG-42B which some genius had welded a pistol grip shaped steel plate to the trigger guard. I cannibalized it for parts and sold it off.

The shittiest gun I got for free was a really hosed up Swiss Vetterli with what looked like a moose horn for a stock. I gave it to a VPD officer who worked at the armoury and apparently they got it working again.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

My stupidest purchase was a stoeger luger. Oh! A luger for $200 and it's in. 22! Sign me up! *failure to feed on basically every single round turning it into a weird bolt action gun. *dumps gun and never looks back.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bought a Stoeger O/U, put like 2k rounds through it causing the whole gun to rattle and occasionally spontaneously disassemble. Sold it and bought a Benelli M2.

Drilled and "tapped" (metal so soft the screws self-tapped) a H&R single shot bolt .22 for a scope rail, which lasted for about 500 rounds until the sear and FP engagement surfaces became so worn that the gun wouldn't fire. I still have it waiting for one of Chicago's gun buy-backs so I can make $50 off it or whatever.

S&W Bodyguard .380 was a 'bad' choice because I bought it not long before the G43 was released, which is what I really wanted. The BG is a little too small for IWB and I don't really like pocket carry at work.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

I bought a $50 Dremel and did an at-home AR15 FSB cutdown.

I own no tools, NONE. Not a hammer, not a screwdriver, not a big table nor a vise. I held the rifle in my legs, on the ground, etc. and it took about 12 hours to do and I put tons of bubba marks all over the receiver from when the Dremel would slip.

Probably lucky I didn't cut a finger off or put metal shavings in my eyes.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I regret every Taurus I ever bought.

I regret trading an early Mini-14 for a BAR parts kit (thinking it would be easy to make a semi-auto BAR clone). I ended up building it up on a dummy receiver and donating it to the local WWII museum.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I bought a Keltec once.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Craptacular posted:

I bought a Keltec once.

See, at least you learned quickly. It took me five times with Taurus before I said "no more".

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ohhhhhhhhhhhh god the list I could make here

gimme a bit

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I pretty much just roll around in a pile of obsolete autoloaders made by countries in the throes of apocalyptic war.

What's that? I have to put an aftermarket gas valve on you or you will batter yourself to pieces? There is a non zero chance your safety retaining snap ring will sail into the tall grass at my range at any given moment? Your mags cost more than a cheap pistol? If I don't keep up a death grip on your bolt carrier while disassembling you it might launch into my groin? You might have been assembled by no billshit slave labor? You cost enough to rent a student apartment for half a year?

Let me get my checkbook!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sorry OP all my guns are extremely tasteful and reasonable, esp. the ones I slathered in acrylic paint to cover up the weld marks

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sorry OP all my guns are extremely tasteful and reasonable, esp. the ones I slathered in acrylic paint to cover up the weld marks

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't.

on topic:

Brave/Retarded Purchases
$250 Cetme (worked like a charm, sold to fund house payment)
$250 Reblued C96 Mauser (the safety doubles as a trigger!)
$500 sight unseen 9mm luger (disassembled itself with a round in the chamber, sold it as parts)
Dirty Colt M16A2 barrel with no FSB. (Chamber was attacked with a twist drill and the barrel is completely useless)
$40 Stevens single shot rifle (sear was so badly worn out/modified it would release the striker if you looked at it the wrong way)
$200 Browning BL-22 (shoots great but the last round wont load for some reason)
$50 pawnshop mosin with a dirty bore (bore, more like sewer pipe amirite?)

Questionable Projects
Attempted to thread a Marlin 60 on a lathe having never used a lathe before. That poor rifle.
Attempted to bed and thread a Savage 84C - worked like a hot drat till the striker broke. Oh added an acccessory rail to it for reasons.
LH Charging Handle'd AK
ARoVPD

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 2, 2016

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I don't own this, but I want it, I don't know why.

I would call it Extremely Questionable however.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/574240794

I think it's probably a Microsight job, like 1960ish.

$250 for that would be a decent deal, if it works.

Reserve is north of $700, I figure.

Semi-questionable and projects:

Chinese clone of an Ithaca 37 - pawnshop claimed they wouldn't accept it back as it "double-fed and/or jammed" - once a flattened 00 pellet fell out of the works , functions fine as long as you don't lilywrist the pump.
Uberti .44 Magnum Buckhorn (SAA clone) - frame/barrel/cylinder/trigger/hammer/a couple pins & screws. Long-term, needs the rest of the parts, refinishing. Will become a .44 Special gun, eventually.
Rossi .38 Special - with second parts kit, yay! May still function again, but previous bubba broke the hammer pivot pin and replaced it with a blind screw through the frame, slightly off-position. Screw wobbles, as well. Maybe? salvagable.

And finally, Frankengun:

Springfield Armory frame (previous bubba stippled it, pinged the frame rails, had it milled for a ramped barrel and drilled for his optics mount twice - first time was backwards )
Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit
Rock Island Armory grips
WWII surplus trigger
Rest of the innards were a bag-of-parts off a crimegun, all of which came from the *same* gun and thus aligned properly when reassembled. (Luckily the original frame was in-spec, too)

I have a box-of-Norinco-1911 innards to swap into it sometime, too, because I have the skeltonized hammer and giant landing-flap thumb safety.

I also need to take better pics of the stipple job - it's like he jammed the tip of a knife into the metal, all the holes are kind of triangular and appear sharp, but don't act as a cheese grater.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

taurus-ct9g2 by junk box, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

In no particular order

SKYY CPX-1
This was one of my first firearm purchases ever, back when I was younger and dumb well, dumber. Heavy (but shockingly smooth) 10 lb DA trigger, external safety, and a magwell that pinched in so hard you had to yank the hell out of the mags to get them out. And yes this was while they were still called SKYY and staring down a vodka-maker's legal gun barrel.

Chinese (?) Tokarev
I never shot it. I tried taking it apart to clean up and springs went all over. I think it's still sitting in a BGSU bookstore bag in pieces somewhere in my garage. I should dig it up. I think I sent the holster to someone in a secret santa years ago.

Walther P22
Trash. Came with a pack of like 5 replacement front sights because the fuckers flew off all the time.

Remington 597
With the VQ hammer kit this was a decent little semi-auto blaster that at one point you could get brand new for like $200 with a scope and 10 and 25 rd mag. There was still little reason to have ever bought it over a 10/22.

Taurus 5-shot 38 revolver (I forget the model)
Trash. At least it didn't blow up on me.

Beretta NEOS
Christ this gun should have been so much better. Easily one of the coolest looking plinkers around, and the huge rail on top let you mount almost anything you wanted, but otherwise totally goddamn inferior in every way to a Buckmark.

Sig P232
Far more comfortable than a PPK, but that's a drat low bar to clear. Stupidly heavy DA trigger, mediocre SA. .380.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

I filled the 1911 shaped hole in my collection with a cheap RIA. By the time the slide stop starts peening the frame I'll have enough to replace it with a Springfield so I don't care.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Shithead Deluxe posted:

I filled the 1911 shaped hole in my collection with a cheap RIA. By the time the slide stop starts peening the frame I'll have enough to replace it with a Springfield so I don't care.

Same, except I bought a Taurus PT1911 with rail.

The only real issue I have, besides that no one makes a holster for it, is the safety has managed to work itself loose and separate on more than one occasion.

I have no shame.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I'm proud of my part in that gun.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Stoeger Coach Gun- had to send it back because it started to fire both barrels at once. I discovered this when it was loaded with slugs.

Bought a Llama minimax 2(?)- or acquired it from family, I can't remember. Rusted if you looked at it, and came with no grips. Never had any issues except that I decided to paint it, and the extra friction caused a sluggish slide, leading to an empty casing landing back in the election port (was my arfcom avatar for awhile). No real issues, except mags were expensive as poo poo, and couldn't find them for awhile. It now sits in a pile of my parts, in my project bin.

Normal Tapco fuckery on my AK bought at the height of Baracklypse Part 1.

A Saturday Night Special that part of the slide sheared off, and I proceeded to shoot with my AR.

A Davis 22Mag derringer that is stupid and fun, and painful to shoot.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bought a clunk alloy-frame revolver that was way too big for the 5rd of 38 Spl it held, I think it was an EAA SNS import or something. I got it for like $30 because one single spring-loaded pin (something to do with the cylinder?) was loose and it wasn't working. Bought it and fixed it in 10 seconds with a Leatherman. Somehow while monkeying with it after I bought it I discovered that the transfer bar was busted, so with the hammer down it'd rest on the primer. I ended up selling it to a friend of a friend who wanted a car gun for delivering pizzas. He was not thrilled when I explained that he'd really have to load just four chambers and keep the empty one under the hammer, but my friend convinced him that for $30, anything that remotely worked was a deal.

I also bought a Beretta Jetfire SA .25 pocket pistol for like $40 at a pawnshop. This one the slide was just sliding back and forth freely under no tension, but I could tell by looking at it that it's because a little wire spring sticking out of the grips wasn't tucked into the slide, fixed it in my car right after I bought it with a ballpoint pen. Traded it off for dirt cheap though because the other reason I got it cheap was because someone had taken a dremel to "melt" the front of the gun, right where the hinge pin is for the pop-top barrel, and even at 25acp pressures I wasn't sure that was really safe in the long run.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 2, 2016

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Had a J-22 for awhile.

Wasn't a bad little gun I always thought, never had the jamming issue most people had with it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Back when I knew almost nothing about guns and didn't know what straw purchasing was, I seriously considered getting an older friend to buy me a Raven HP22 with extended barrel. I'd argued "you've bought beer for underage friends, what's the difference?"

But instead my first gun ever would've been a MAC 9mm carbine before eBay stopped doing guns (I was just searching the few gun terms I knew from memory and found a "good deal") but I was saved from total humiliation since the Seattle FFL who transferred my MAC carbine also had an Enfield No4 Mk1* on the shelf, sporterized for $75, so that officially came in as my first gun ever.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

I have a Lasermax guide rod laser installed on a Glock 21 (with ghost ring sights, because I used to be wrong a lot more often) that I haven't fired in a decade.

As a kid I discovered the exciting way that the rolling block Stevens 1915 we inherited from Grosse Opa's closet was good for .22 Short, but most certainly not for .22LR.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

I traded an AES 10B for an entreprise FAL with a 13 inch barrel and enough muzzle brake to make minimum legal length.

I zero'd in the red dot I sometimes have on it at an indoor range.

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

You can make your Vepr 54R look like an SVD (if you squint) but you can't turn it into a 1MOA rifle, no matter how much money you spend on it.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

MrBusiness posted:

You can make your Vepr 54R look like an SVD (if you squint) but you can't turn it into a 1MOA rifle, no matter how much money you spend on it.

You can't turn a SVD into a 1moa rifle either.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 3, 2016

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Had a J-22 for awhile.

Wasn't a bad little gun I always thought, never had the jamming issue most people had with it.

Sup, J22 buddy. This was My First Pistol back when I first got my CPL back in 1992. I carried a Jennings. I never fired It. Like ever. Not even once. Therefore, it functioned flawlessly.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Everything I've bought has been cool and good. I've made no mistakes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bought this when I first got into guns back in 2002-2003. Before you could get cool(er) stocks and weld on optic rails. It's not the greatest 308 but everyone else had an FAL. That cheek riser was the only thing available at the time but because of the way it mounts it increases the LOP dramatically and its a bit too long for me. Not a big deal shooting benched but its a pain to hold unsupported. I'm going to send it to IGF to get an optic rail welded, barrel re-profiled and pin/welded to 16. Yep, gonna dump more money down the drain on this.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 8, 2016

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Super cool in a late 80s way, don't change it man

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I bought a coach gun that I loved to bust clays with. I think it was a cheap stoeger, not sure any more. I can't tell because the name isn't anywhere on the gun, you can probably see where this is going.

Unfortunately one day something hosed up inside it, the trigger went THUKKK instead of click and nothing no how would reset it. I bought a punch set solely for the purpose of opening poo poo up to see if I could fix something. Well, long story short this gun embodies the phrase "no user serviceable parts" and it's still on a shelf, forever totally useless. I have always been able to get at least some kind of resale / part value from something but so far this one is a big zero.

Oh and see this?

I rather painstakingly made a scale mock-up of my Luger so that a custom gear dude could make me a custom holster.

He eventually shipped me back a holster that (kinda, mostly) fit. I was later in a shop looking at no-name generic condor / phantom gear and spotted the exact same holster

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shaocaholica posted:

Bought this when I first got into guns back in 2002-2003. Before you could get cool(er) stocks and weld on optic rails. It's not the greatest 308 but everyone else had an FAL. That cheek riser was the only thing available at the time but because of the way it mounts it increases the LOP dramatically and its a bit too long for me. Not a big deal shooting benched but its a pain to hold unsupported. I'm going to send it to IGF to get an optic rail welded, barrel re-profiled and pin/welded to 16. Yep, gonna dump more money down the drain on this.

I would have gone to very great lengths to have this gun (or a FAL, for that matter!)

Eye of the beholder, etc.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

^^^ Trust me, I felt the same way until I got it and shot it. ~honeymoon phase~

Mister Sinewave posted:

Oh and see this?

I rather painstakingly made a scale mock-up of my Luger so that a custom gear dude could make me a custom holster.

He eventually shipped me back a holster that (kinda, mostly) fit. I was later in a shop looking at no-name generic condor / phantom gear and spotted the exact same holster

Couldn't you have just sent the dude a cheap(ish) airsoft luger?

http://www.evike.com/products/29084/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

At the time Lugers weren't a thing for airguns. Besides, cheapish or not - cutting up some foam core to layer and coat into a 1:1 fit-up replica was basically free.

• Locked thread