Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also I would be worried about an air soft having proper dimensions where it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Bought this when I first got into guns back in 2002-2003. Before you could get cool(er) stocks and weld on optic rails. It's not the greatest 308 but everyone else had an FAL. That cheek riser was the only thing available at the time but because of the way it mounts it increases the LOP dramatically and its a bit too long for me. Not a big deal shooting benched but its a pain to hold unsupported. I'm going to send it to IGF to get an optic rail welded, barrel re-profiled and pin/welded to 16. Yep, gonna dump more money down the drain on this.

This is awesome, and you should change nothing. Then again, it's your poo poo and I am fat guy on the net, so don't listen to me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bulletsponge13 posted:

This is awesome, and you should change nothing. Then again, it's your poo poo and I am fat guy on the net, so don't listen to me.

Well if only just the LOP isn't right for me. This was before magpul made a stock for the G3. While authentic, the scope mount is questionable. I have tape under there to add tension. I'd feel better with a welded rail like they've been doing out of the factory. And the thing weights a ton so its relegated to bench only.

But as for authenticity, its kinda sorta there except the buttstock.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

- I've set a personal goal to break 2,000 feet/second out of a 380 ACP. A ZAMAK 380 ACP.

- My first personally owned autopistol was an FEG P9R. Other than zero mag. availability and a disgusting DA trigger, I really liked it.

- Owned a PPK/S im 380 ACP. Great gun in a totally inappropriate and abusive chambering. 32 ACP supremacy.

- I kept firing a J-22 with split barrel. Had to palm the slide shut every round but it still refused to totally crap out. So I lit it up with a Model 10. Still have the shot-up slide and frame kicking around.

- I would consider carrying handloads.

- I sometimes think about having a new barrel turned for my Winchester '87 so I can start shooting it.

- Have e-mailed Lone Wolf's marketing department to try having them convince prodiction to crank out a few 32 NAA conversion barrels for the Glock 42. Was unfotunately told they're too busy trying to keep up with 9mm Glock bullshit. I will try again.

- Started pricing a Hi-Point carbine build in 400 Corbon. Only shelved the project because I'm not buying to rifles to cobble together on top of a custom barrel assuming the stock 40 cal. barrels can't be reamed.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

You just love truly terrible things.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Shaocaholica posted:

Well if only just the LOP isn't right for me. This was before magpul made a stock for the G3. While authentic, the scope mount is questionable. I have tape under there to add tension. I'd feel better with a welded rail like they've been doing out of the factory. And the thing weights a ton so its relegated to bench only.

But as for authenticity, its kinda sorta there except the buttstock.
RobertRTG likely has the butt pad you need. Last I knew he didn't really have a proper web store and was one of the snail mail a check guys, but he's good and keeps a lot of HK stuff on hand.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Parts Kit posted:

RobertRTG likely has the butt pad you need. Last I knew he didn't really have a proper web store and was one of the snail mail a check guys, but he's good and keeps a lot of HK stuff on hand.

He's had a website for the past 2-3 years at least: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/home.asp

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Hah, wow that's a massive improvement. Last time I bought something from him (mid-late 2000s) it was just a barebones HTML list.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Shaocaholica posted:

This was before magpul made a stock for the G3.

Wait, what?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bummey posted:

Wait, what?

I can't tell what you're surprised at.

https://www.magpul.com/products/prs2-precision-adjustable-stock-hk91-g3

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I was about to say "$255? gently caress that just buy one off a PSG-1." And, whelp: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-German-PSG-1-Rear-Stock-Complete-197p531.htm

HK is the Porsche of the gun world.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Well I'm going to get flak for this...

This is my Yugo SKS. I took this photo back in 2002-2003 in college. Now its been stolen and used all over the place including the wikipedia article for SKSs. Go figure. I don't care. I feel like its kind of an amateurish try hard photo anyway but only because I've become a photo snob.

Anyway, there's a million SKSs out there. Nothing special about mine. So I'm going to send it out to make it like this:

Just upgraded open sights. No optic/mount. Remove grenade parts. Shorten barrel. Hopefully a light(er) ranch rifle.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Just upgraded open sights. No optic/mount. Remove grenade parts. Shorten barrel. Hopefully a light(er) ranch rifle.

I never thought I would say this, but I regret selling my SKS.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

My only regret is that I don't shoot mine more. I find it to be a more enjoyable rifle to gently caress off with than my AKs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I'm surprised you can still get them out of the crate at Classic Firearms. It's like there's a bottomless pit of them somewhere.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Putting wood furniture on an AR-15 that adds at least 3 lbs to the overall weight? Sure!

But I mean it looks like this now, so

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I've been aware of the price disparity with AKs, but it only just now struck me that it's cheaper to build a new AR-15 than buy a Chinese SKS.

My first semi-auto rifle was a Chinese SKS because surplus Russian SKSs has suddenly jumped from like $150 to over $200 due to Y2K and I thought that was ridiculous.

My 1999 self is gobsmacked. I just recall so clearly when the AR was the expensive fancy rifle and forums would advice young folks who couldn't swing one to get an AK, a Mini-14, or a $99 SKS if you're poor. Also reminds me that the whole "lol .223 poodle shooter" thing has really dropped off. Back in the late 90s I recall a lot of the survivalist/militia/Y2K folks heavily advocating FAL and G3 as "real rifles", and these days those are pretty drat niche compared o ARs.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Putting wood furniture on an AR-15 that adds at least 3 lbs to the overall weight? Sure!

The wood handguard looks so weird on a dissipator, but so good!

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Well I'm going to get flak for this...

This is my Yugo SKS. I took this photo back in 2002-2003 in college. Now its been stolen and used all over the place including the wikipedia article for SKSs.
At this point I honestly thought the rest of your post was going to be about how your milsurp rifle got stolen and was involved in a mass murder so famous it got a Wiki entry, and you were afraid every poster who disagrees with your opinions from now 'til the asteroid hits was going to mock you for being a burglary victim like that was a good substitute for a counterargument.

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Well I feel less dumb about my current wood-furniture 6.5 Grendel build.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A local P.D. ran a Norinco SKS seized in a drug bust as their patrol rifle for years. It lived in the trunk of the supervisor's cruiser and was their only rifle. I still think this was a perfectly sensible arrangement considering the podunk town with no budget.

The stupid only comes in play where they decided to leave the Tapco everything on it. And, IIRC, their use of force policy for tagging it out of the trunk was super strict to the point they couldn't even take it over a 590 when trudging through Nat'l Forest on a manhunt.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

mikerock posted:

It's OK as long as you stick to G_d's calibers: .22lr, .30 Luger, .223, and 6.5x55SE.

You forgot 7.5x55. Shame, shame, shame.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Conquest7706 posted:

You forgot 7.5x55. Shame, shame, shame.

No, 7.5x55 is the Devil's cartridge. It seduces you into sin with its apparent beauty.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DJExile posted:

Beretta NEOS
Christ this gun should have been so much better. Easily one of the coolest looking plinkers around, and the huge rail on top let you mount almost anything you wanted, but otherwise totally goddamn inferior in every way to a Buckmark.

I'm right there with you in Neos ownership. There's a screw underneath the firing pin that works its way loose sometimes. If you tighten it, the trigger isn't absolute horseshit.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I bought a Walther G22 for my first .22

I bought a Walther P22 for my second

The trigger on the G22 is a loving soggy bowl of lucky charms. Jams fairly often.

My P22 is surprising reliable, fun, and accurate (for my skills).

I bought a Ruger GP100 .357 at gun show which I thought was a good purchase. At the same gun show I then bought a random new .357 lever action because it sounded fun. I've shot about 20 rounds out of it. Trying to sell it to my buddy right now.

What's the best way to unload heh a firearm you regret/despise/fear?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's me, I'm the idiot who put his Yugo SKS in a Tapco stock with Tapco magazine because I was too cheap to get a WASR-10 in the glory days of the mid-2000s. I repented for my sins by trading it 1 for 1 for a K31 in a walnut stock.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Justin Tyme posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who put his Yugo SKS in a Tapco stock with Tapco magazine because I was too cheap to get a WASR-10 in the glory days of the mid-2000s. I repented for my sins by trading it 1 for 1 for a K31 in a walnut stock.

Did you at least put it back?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Dustoph posted:

I bought a Walther G22 for my first .22

I bought a Walther P22 for my second

The trigger on the G22 is a loving soggy bowl of lucky charms. Jams fairly often.

My P22 is surprising reliable, fun, and accurate (for my skills).

I bought a Ruger GP100 .357 at gun show which I thought was a good purchase. At the same gun show I then bought a random new .357 lever action because it sounded fun. I've shot about 20 rounds out of it. Trying to sell it to my buddy right now.

What brand is that lever gat? If there's nothing wrong with it you could toss it up on the Google group and see if someone from here wants it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dustoph posted:

Trade it in to a pawn shop you plan on never going back to.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Dustoph posted:

I bought a Ruger GP100 .357 at gun show which I thought was a good purchase.

You are correct

Dustoph posted:

At the same gun show I then bought a random new .357 lever action because it sounded fun

What make and model?

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

I purchased a beat up old cresent side by side 12 Guage at a gun store in NE Ohio for less than 100 bucks. At the time I didn't care that it was old as I've always wanted one. The gun itself is structurally sound but my dumb rear end took a Dremel with a wire wheel to it to try and take some of the fouling off the metal. I gave up halfway through and now half the gun is shiny and scratched to poo poo. Oh that and the fact that the left barrel can't be loaded since if you breathe on it the trigger will fire and that only when the trigger decides to lock Back. I'm sure it's an easy fix bit I'm afraid to see what is underneath the plate.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

I just didn't know they made this. vv

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bummey posted:

I just didn't know they made this. vv

Yeah, niche market indeed. Same for the FAL version although they are practically the same part.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

SadWhaleFamily posted:

What make and model?

It is an EMF, Rossi made '92 replica.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Safety Dance posted:

I'm right there with you in Neos ownership. There's a screw underneath the firing pin that works its way loose sometimes. If you tighten it, the trigger isn't absolute horseshit.

I rented a buckmark, ruger 22/45 and Neos and decided I wanted the Neos, bought it, tried a DIY trigger job that was popular but mine was the later model where they green loctited the screw into the frame to stop you from doing it. I ended up stripping the screw because it was a 2.5mm hex or whatever and had to drill the screw out of the frame and plastic epoxy the frame back to spec. It wasn't reliable and I ended up putting a brown to match wood machine screw in it and mailed it off for a smith to fix it. It now has a 3.5 lb trigger and runs fine but you can feel the main spring binding up against the hammer spring because they ride over each other in opposite directions.

I college I cold blued an enfield mk5 no1, while it still had cosmoline on it but it had already been bubba so I added an ATI stock and a grind to fit limbsaver that I massacred with a dremel. I killed a pile of deer with it so it wasn't really a loss. I should get it out of my dads safe and shoot it again. Either way I love that ugly duckling.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

I bought a H&K model 630 which is cool but extremely useless to me and terrifying to shoot since parts for it are non-existent, so I am selling it

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

I took out a $5000 bank loan to buy a Beretta 682 Gold E O/U shotgun. The bank asked what loan was for, I said it was for sporting equipment, which seemed to be good enough for the bank.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Unskilled Labour posted:

I took out a $5000 bank loan to buy a Beretta 682 Gold E O/U shotgun.

This needs to be the title of the Shotgun Megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

cz 75 semi compact for about $325

I wanted an sp_01 but no one could find one at a distributor do 'ike a retard instead of waiting i got the stpid short barrel large frame pistol. Should have taken my gunsmiths advice and just gotten a plain glock 17.

now i just buy nothing but 1911's and ars. At least i got a cheap sp1 clone eith ace bustock for 525 before obamara.

• Locked thread