Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bought a clunk alloy-frame revolver that was way too big for the 5rd of 38 Spl it held, I think it was an EAA SNS import or something. I got it for like $30 because one single spring-loaded pin (something to do with the cylinder?) was loose and it wasn't working. Bought it and fixed it in 10 seconds with a Leatherman. Somehow while monkeying with it after I bought it I discovered that the transfer bar was busted, so with the hammer down it'd rest on the primer. I ended up selling it to a friend of a friend who wanted a car gun for delivering pizzas. He was not thrilled when I explained that he'd really have to load just four chambers and keep the empty one under the hammer, but my friend convinced him that for $30, anything that remotely worked was a deal.

I also bought a Beretta Jetfire SA .25 pocket pistol for like $40 at a pawnshop. This one the slide was just sliding back and forth freely under no tension, but I could tell by looking at it that it's because a little wire spring sticking out of the grips wasn't tucked into the slide, fixed it in my car right after I bought it with a ballpoint pen. Traded it off for dirt cheap though because the other reason I got it cheap was because someone had taken a dremel to "melt" the front of the gun, right where the hinge pin is for the pop-top barrel, and even at 25acp pressures I wasn't sure that was really safe in the long run.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Back when I knew almost nothing about guns and didn't know what straw purchasing was, I seriously considered getting an older friend to buy me a Raven HP22 with extended barrel. I'd argued "you've bought beer for underage friends, what's the difference?"

But instead my first gun ever would've been a MAC 9mm carbine before eBay stopped doing guns (I was just searching the few gun terms I knew from memory and found a "good deal") but I was saved from total humiliation since the Seattle FFL who transferred my MAC carbine also had an Enfield No4 Mk1* on the shelf, sporterized for $75, so that officially came in as my first gun ever.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I've been aware of the price disparity with AKs, but it only just now struck me that it's cheaper to build a new AR-15 than buy a Chinese SKS.

My first semi-auto rifle was a Chinese SKS because surplus Russian SKSs has suddenly jumped from like $150 to over $200 due to Y2K and I thought that was ridiculous.

My 1999 self is gobsmacked. I just recall so clearly when the AR was the expensive fancy rifle and forums would advice young folks who couldn't swing one to get an AK, a Mini-14, or a $99 SKS if you're poor. Also reminds me that the whole "lol .223 poodle shooter" thing has really dropped off. Back in the late 90s I recall a lot of the survivalist/militia/Y2K folks heavily advocating FAL and G3 as "real rifles", and these days those are pretty drat niche compared o ARs.

• Locked thread