Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

91 Days is a "classic mafia drama" set during the Prohibition in America.

Angelo Lagusa's family was murdered by the Vanetti family. Years later he receives a mysterious letter that reignites his desire for revenge. Donning the name Avilio Bruno, he infiltrates the Vanetti family.

The guy on the right is Angelo/Avilio. He's murderous and ruthless and probably a sociopath. The guy on the left is Nero Vanetti, a son of the Vanetti family and a pretty swell guy.

The guy in the middle here is uh, Corteo. He is Angelo's childhood friend and he makes hella good booze.

Each episode of this show so far has been like a miniature mafia epic. It's a love letter to mafia movies and stories and a lot of the visual language it uses will be familiar if you've ever watched anything like that. The show has actually been really surprising with the directions it takes sometimes. If you want a suspenseful crime drama full of rugged anime dudes then 91 Days is the show for you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My favorite scene of the show so far was when it cut to Don Vanetti's room and he was playing dramatic opera music for no reason.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This show is cool and I'm enjoying it a lot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This show rapidly shot up from 'eh I dunno, Japanese made American mafia story, I dunno if they can get the tone right and all, a lot of the great mob stories involve a lot of subtly that may be lost in translation' to 'oh, yea this is one of my favorite animes of the year'. Mob stories aren't some impossible task to tell, obviously, but a very specifically American mafia thing can be hard to do right unless you're just going to make a big action movie. Like OP said it nails the visual tricks a lot of mob stories use. I even like the kinda weirdly over the top stuff like Don Vanetti just having random opera music or a guy named Fango being a crazy loose cannon killer because of course a guy named Fango is a loose cannon, why would you hire a guy named Fango?

The guy named Serpente was bad enough, but you add a Fango to that and you deserve all the trouble you get.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I also liked when they were driving through a forest and then next scene showed their cars parked at a dramatic riverside pier overlooking a vast factory. THis isn't a complaint.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In the latest episode of the mafia crime drama 91 Days, our main characters spent their time trying to hit people with their car, stealing canned pineapples, and getting drunk off of lovely prohibiton booze.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And fighting a giant immortal Mexican and his puppy

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A very cute puppy who got a good ending !

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Episode 4 was quite the tonal shift, but it was fantastic.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
see, it works on a ton of levels, both as a road trip show, and as a character study

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I like that Angelo used a sling to fight Goliath Mexicano. Nice amount of dramatic irony

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is a really good anime and I'm upset it seems to be getting passed over by a lot of people

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's one of my favourites of the season, though I am a big fan of crime fiction.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm biased because I love crime stories and all but this is easily already one of my faves of the year unless it just shits the bed suddenly.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ronaldo & frate are pieces of poo poo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is by the Baccano and Durarara people but it started too serious and didn't look like it would have Mexican Goliath. Now that it had Mexican Goliath all is right in this world.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Animation got a bit wobbly this last episode. That shot of Frate winding down his window was quite something.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't really notice

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is by the Baccano and Durarara people but it started too serious and didn't look like it would have Mexican Goliath. Now that it had Mexican Goliath all is right in this world.

So when are the alchemists going to show up?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks Fango. Keep on Fango'ing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It would be darkly hilarious if Orco were still perfectly alive, but Fango could simply prank his underlings with his delicious dishes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm not sure how he fit enough chicken into his shirt for it to not look obvious, not stink and not leak blood before being shot but other than that it was a very good episode. Fango's fun, but I do not see how people think he has any chance of being Luce other than that hair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The true face of happiness:

Seriously, the production issues were getting kind of distracting this episode. Lots of focus on awkwardly-drawn stills, strangely-deformed faces, and animation that ranged from stiff to disturbingly melty. Hope that it doesn't persist too much over the rest of the show.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not sure how he fit enough chicken into his shirt for it to not look obvious, not stink and not leak blood before being shot but other than that it was a very good episode. Fango's fun, but I do not see how people think he has any chance of being Luce other than that hair.

Presumably they put the chicken blood in little bags like Nero was showing off at the end, and burst the bag when he was "shot"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Presumably they put the chicken blood in little bags like Nero was showing off at the end, and burst the bag when he was "shot"

Then how about the bullet, what stopped that? I loved everything else in the episode though, Angelo made many smart moves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Then how about the bullet, what stopped that? I loved everything else in the episode though, Angelo made many smart moves.

I think the shots were blanks. He clutched his chest, which may have been what burst the blood-bags.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That'd make sense. This is a good series so far.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lol @ making the guy called volpe catch a chicken

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Show good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's my review everybody. See you next week.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really love Fango. He's a pretty big shift from the 'traditional' mafia story characters, usually you have a 'wild dog' character but he's just kinda a more violent than usual thug with a temper. Fango is a very Asian story style 'wild dog' where not only is he that but he gleefully breaks social rules and cultural taboos and all that. It's a really solid addition, though, because everyone else in this very traditional mafia story react to him with a giant 'what the gently caress is this guy's problem?!'

You kinda had a similar thing with the mexican assassin. A typical mafia story would have the big tough unkillable guy just...a big tough guy built like a brick shithouse. In this he was a straight up near magic man who survived like three fatal wounds before dying when the story required it. This show is really good about blending non-traditional elements into a traditional mob story.

What I'm saying is

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

Yeah they were :D

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

El Burbo posted:

Yeah they were :D

Avilio's one hell of a friend. :stonklol:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It looks like this week is a recap

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Geh, that sucks

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Geh, that sucks

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm actually a little glad. The production quality's been going way downhill, and a week's break should hopefully let the staff right themselves.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Am I the only person who thinks it's blatantly obvious that Avilio caused his biological brother to be killed? As far as I can tell, the only real question is whether or not Avilio knew that fact. And the note that he gave Fio is almost certainly going to say something like 'I know Frate is Luce Lagusa - Kill Galassia if you don't want that secret to come out'. At present, my only guess is that the big Don is the one who wrote Avilio the letter/was father's best friend, since he saved Luce from the hit he nominally called on them, perhaps at the behest of the Galassia family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Um

• Locked thread