Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36843769

quote:

In some remote southern regions of Malawi, it's traditional for girls to be made to have sex with a paid sex worker known as a "hyena" once they reach puberty. The act is not seen by village elders as rape, but as a form of ritual "cleansing". However, as Ed Butler reports, it has the potential to be the opposite of cleansing - a way of spreading disease.

I meet Eric Aniva in the dusty yard of his three-room shack in Nsanje district in southern Malawi. Goats and chickens graze in the dirt outside. Wearing a grimy green shirt, and walking with a pronounced limp (he's been lame in one leg since birth, he says), he greets me enthusiastically. He seems to like the idea of media attention.

Aniva is by all accounts the pre-eminent "hyena" in this village. It's a traditional title given to a man hired by communities in several remote parts of southern Malawi to provide what's called sexual "cleansing". If a man dies, for example, his wife is required by tradition to sleep with Aniva before she can bury him. If a woman has an abortion, again sexual cleansing is required.

And most shockingly, here in Nsanje, teenage girls, after their first menstruation, are made to have sex over a three-day period, to mark their passage from childhood to womanhood. If the girls refuse, it's believed, disease or some fatal misfortune could befall their families or the village as a whole.

quote:

I put it to them that there's a much greater risk that these "cleansings" will themselves spread disease. According to custom, sex with the hyena must never be protected with the use of condoms. But they say a hyena is hand-picked for his good morals, and therefore cannot be infected with HIV/Aids.

It's clear, given the hyena's duties, that HIV is a huge risk to the community. The UN estimates that one in 10 of all Malawians carry the virus, so I ask Aniva if he is HIV-positive. He astounds me by saying that he is - and that he doesn't mention this to a girl's parents when they hire him.

The guy was arrested after the above article came out:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36892963

quote:

An HIV-positive Malawian man, who says he is paid to have sex with children as part of initiation rites, has been arrested on the president's orders.

Eric Aniva, a sex worker known in Malawi as a "hyena", was the subject of a BBC feature last week.

He told the BBC that he did not mention his HIV status to those who hire him.

President Peter Mutharika said the police should investigate and charge him over the cases of defilement he had seemingly confessed to.

Sauds Knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ok

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

It is now a ritual to have your virginity taken by a guy with HIV in Africa
Just because you did it it doesn't turn into a "ritual"

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
how do i get a job as a hyena. asking for a friend

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

my guidance counselor lied to me

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

LordArgh posted:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

wanna make whoopee

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

What a beautiful culture in touch with nature.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

What a beautiful culture in touch with nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FAZHwOnX8

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

imo raping teens/preteens is cultural appropriation of white christians

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Gin posted:

imo raping teens/preteens is cultural appropriation of white christians

Excuse me, did you not see the Purity Ring on my daughter.

She belongs to me!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Any society that practices this poo poo, punitive rape or female genital mutilation is objectively worse than Western culture.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

Any society that practices this poo poo, punitive rape or female genital mutilation is objectively worse than Western culture.

mods?!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:rip:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

a hole-y ghost posted:

Just because you did it it doesn't turn into a "ritual"

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

Leopold did nothing wrong.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Volcott posted:

ya we only mutilate boy genitals

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

My Shaft, My Business

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

ya we only mutilate boy genitals

Foreskin =/= clitoris. In my case the only difference not having a foreskin would be to make me less likely to piss all over the floor when drunk/ sleepy.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

jazzyhattrick posted:

Foreskin =/= clitoris. In my case the only difference not having a foreskin would be to make me less likely to piss all over the floor when drunk/ sleepy.
You better watch out, if you seem ungrateful for the hood the clipper man will come at night

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Hyenaatrek.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

also lmbo at the idea that at some point there was some lionel lanley guy who managed to convince the villagers that their teen daughters need to sleep with him for "sexual cleansing"

"you know a girl with her virginity is like a lion with a spinning wheel. nobody knows how he got it, but it should be mine"

"But I guess this is more of a simbabwe idea"

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

jazzyhattrick posted:

chop it off then bitch

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Volcott posted:

Cultural relativism :smug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought all cultures wanted virgin wives.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Vilerat would have loved this thread.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought all cultures wanted virgin wives.

Sex with the AIDS whore doesn't count dumdum

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Agag posted:

I love you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So how does one go about getting the Hyena job?

Sounds like a mixed blessed you have purify both ugly and attractive girls.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
i thought i was the only one

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

etalian posted:

So how does one go about getting the Hyena job?

Sounds like a mixed blessed you have purify both ugly and attractive girls.

LordArgh posted:

These guys want a job where they rape 12 year olds :wtc:

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
Please nuke everyone in the area. They are too stupid to live

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

These guys want a job where they rape 12 year olds :wtc:

They are probably pedophiles.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Indy posted:

Please nuke everyone in the area. They are too stupid to live
It's an extreme solution to the GBS problem but desperate times call for desperate measures

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Minimalist Program posted:

They are probably pedophiles.
Oh okay. Makes sense now, thanx bud

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

But they say a hyena is hand-picked for his good morals

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

etalian posted:

But they say a hyena is hand-picked for his good morals

They say the same thing about Popes and the overall results have been iffy.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Agag posted:

he would have if the muslims didnt murder him in cold blood :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

hyenas n hymens

• Locked thread