Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
disseminate my seminal insemination seminar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cubone posted:

disseminate my seminal insemination seminar

hm this could be an Aesop Rock lyric. I'll tweet it at him

Cubone
May 26, 2011

gamers stopped rallying behind the "games are art" flag when they realized treating games with critical seriousness meant that things like instant gratification and primal sublimation would be relegated to the low brow. they never actually wanted games to be considered art, they just wanted their worthless escapism to be vindicated with cultural clout. as soon as they found out that sitting at the grown-ups' table meant they had to eat their vegetables, they balked and trudged back to the kids' table muttering "shut the gently caress up and just play games"

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Al Cowens posted:

What's Portal's 'legacy'

Undertale will be about on par with that (short cute game that you get over quick with annoying fandom)
honestly Portal is probably going to be remembered for its design philosophy. it's an immaculate example of teaching novel game mechanics on a digestible learning curve interwoven with gameplay and narrative. the memes and fandom have already faded to memory, but people still hold games like The Magic Circle and Quadrilateral Cowboy up against whether they teach and execute their conceptual game mechanics as well as Portal did. it remains in the conversation in that capacity.

Undertale I'm betting in as much time is going to be remembered for making its moral choice system implicit but maintaining its impact through ~ludonarrative~ (meaning the unstated narrative you get out of gameplay. now get mad at the neologism, everybody who is worthless.) the bullet hell system is novel, but it's not much more of a departure from turn-based/active-time battle than Paper Mario was, and the prodding at base assumptions is more navel-gazing than it is pioneering. its real accomplishment was just making players feel bad for doing things in game that they would feel bad about doing irl. no floating -5 to the karma meter, no devil horns, just the fact that the dog you killed is dead forever and you won't see it again because you killed it. that's an innovation that can be incorporated across genre, and expand the possibilities of conflict resolution in game design.

whoops i mean fart balls cuck vote for trump

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

Have you considered that its popular because ppl identify w/ it, which is different from all that stuff?
i'm not sure what you're referring to or what in my post could have prompted a response about relative popularity, but if you're talking about undertale that's as fine an explanation as any, neighbor.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Popular Human posted:

lots of lovely horror games do that "bad thing attacks you and it CRASHES YOUR GAME woah" thing from it.
afaik that started with Imscared.exe in 2012

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah. Undertale. I don't think that the gameplay was really the sticking point, or even the way that it offers multiple approaches to how the game is played. That stuff was novel, but not what made it popular so much as it speaking to a time and a place in a way that nothing before really has be able to do with any authenticity. I've called it the Clerks of video games before, and I stick by it. It's an exemplary freshman work from an independent artist that captured something human about its audience as well as its subjects.
the gameplay is a defining component of both the text and the medium. they're interrelated attributes, not exclusive or isolable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

subhuman filth posted:

Does anyone want to talk about pathologic instead
yes.

what the gently caress is in the aviary?
blood pool in the abattoir, polyhedron is piercing the ground, forgotten pagan beliefs, the relationship between earth and flesh: cool. all on the table.
what the gently caress is in the aviary? somebody spoil me, please, I have zero desire to go through the game again.

• Locked thread