Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

The Cubelodyte posted:

How the gently caress is that 1-bedroom apartment going for almost $300k?

It's an apartment complex, 1 br/ba per unit probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. (And trash collection) It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how has the mayor not been thrown out of officer or shot yet?

Because she didn't create the water problem. After Gov. Snyder appointed an emergency manager to Flint in 2011, the Flint mayor had pretty much all powers taken away, so mayors since then had no actual power and just ineffectually lobbied for their constituents. The issues with the Flint water supply became gradually more apparent in 2015. In late January 2016 the Mayor -- who was recently elected based on a platform of fixing Flint's water -- was given back some but not all mayoral powers by Rick Snyder.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-michigan-water-idUSKCN0V024X

As far as the garbage goes she's partly culpable. She wanted to go with a new garbage service that was $2mil/year cheaper. The city council voted 8-1 against her. She vetoed. They overrode her veto. Then the council took her to court in order to force the issue of who had the final say in the matter. The judge was royally pissed with both the council and the mayor. Here's where she really went wrong: Republic Services, the old garbage crew, offered to continue service until a decision was reached, and the Mayor declined the offer. That's why there's no pickup at all right now. The mayor claims the issue will hopefully be solved by midweek but there's no reason to trust her confidence, or even that the final decision will be hers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-trash-pickup/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

We should convince the Saudis and Chinese to buy it at a steal

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Filthy Hans posted:

Because she didn't create the water problem. After Gov. Snyder appointed an emergency manager to Flint in 2011, the Flint mayor had pretty much all powers taken away, so mayors since then had no actual power and just ineffectually lobbied for their constituents. The issues with the Flint water supply became gradually more apparent in 2015. In late January 2016 the Mayor -- who was recently elected based on a platform of fixing Flint's water -- was given back some but not all mayoral powers by Rick Snyder.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-michigan-water-idUSKCN0V024X

As far as the garbage goes she's partly culpable. She wanted to go with a new garbage service that was $2mil/year cheaper. The city council voted 8-1 against her. She vetoed. They overrode her veto. Then the council took her to court in order to force the issue of who had the final say in the matter. The judge was royally pissed with both the council and the mayor. Here's where she really went wrong: Republic Services, the old garbage crew, offered to continue service until a decision was reached, and the Mayor declined the offer. That's why there's no pickup at all right now. The mayor claims the issue will hopefully be solved by midweek but there's no reason to trust her confidence, or even that the final decision will be hers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-trash-pickup/

That's the craziest thing, Flint is so bad that they more or less are in federal emergency mode permenantly. Which had just made the whole government a mess, as you stated no one is sure who holds the power because it is all more or less arbitrary now.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

:f5: *Votes Democrat*

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

We should convince the Saudis and Chinese to buy it at a steal

I would sooner gift both Flint and Detroit to all of the current undocumented mexicans. Sanctuary Cities that they can control to their hearts content. (Most immigrants I know from south of the border would work their asses off to make it a decent place)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Cartouche posted:

I would sooner gift both Flint and Detroit to all of the current undocumented mexicans. Sanctuary Cities that they can control to their hearts content. (Most immigrants I know from south of the border would work their asses off to make it a decent place)

Sending illegal immigrants to Flint would be a massive human rights violation.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Best Giraffe posted:

Sending illegal immigrants to Flint would be a massive human rights violation.

I'd sweeten the pot and give them all of Chicago and it's suburbs.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Cartouche posted:

I'd sweeten the pot and give them all of Chicago and it's suburbs.

Why not just deport them all back to whatever murder hellhole they were fleeing in the first place? The weather would be better, and they'll be safer.

IMO we should just stick them all in Wyoming and let them go nuts. It's not like anyone lives there now, anyway.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cartouche posted:

:f5: *Blame Democrats*
:f5: *Blame Democrats for a republican governor putting lead in the water*

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
every democrat controlled area is a hellhole (not surprising)

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
oh except for washington DC, the onyl part of the country to get richer while everywhere else collapses

Purely coincidence

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress the ROW posted:

every democrat controlled area is a hellhole (not surprising)

actually pretty much the states that go blue are nice and the states that go red are shitholes and cherrypicking some rust belt states while ignoring the goddamn West Coast and New England is some pants on head poo poo imo

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I ehar boston is really nice, especialyl during the marathon/city wide lockdowns though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I for one cannot wait until we just let the South enslave the Midwesterners and finally make America great again

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Flint well on its way to becoming the next Summer Olympics host

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Clearly the fault of republicans :smug:

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress the ROW posted:

oh except for washington DC, the onyl part of the country to get richer while everywhere else collapses

Purely coincidence

Spoken like someone blissfully unaware of the east end.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Flint well on its way to becoming the next Summer Olympics host

Needs more waterlogged corpses.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

I for one cannot wait until we just let the South enslave the Midwesterners and finally make America great again

Upper Midwest here - Southern states, baby, call me. Let's make a deal. You get the Rust Belt and we get not having the Rust Belt.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They have reached a temporary agreement to stop garbagpocolypse,

"After backlash from residents, a temporary agreement was reached Monday afternoon with Republic Services, hired to take out the trash until August 12. Both sides of the argument are hoping to reach a long-term agreement by then."

"You (are) going to fight over picking up our garbage?" said Betty Franklin. "If you have a fight with each other, fight amongst yourselves but pick up the garbage."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/184213079-story

I agree with Betty, give everyone baseball bats, lock them in a room, and wait.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cartouche posted:

Spoken like someone blissfully unaware of the east end.

i was gonna say, isn't washington dc, like, photogenic capitol + massive ultraghetto

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cartouche posted:

gl voting for a republican when nobody from the GOP has bothered to file in years.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

gl voting for a republican when nobody from the GOP has bothered to file in years.

Well yah. There's no money in it. :v:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I'm thinking about buying a Flint house as a sort of cabin or wilderness getaway. Just go there for a few weeks out of the year and make fires and filter some stream water or whatever. I bet I could even hunt coyotes and, after a decade or so, deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The White Dragon posted:

i was gonna say, isn't washington dc, like, photogenic capitol + massive ultraghetto

There are some nice neighborhoods, it's not all ghetto but there's plenty of that. Also a lot of the gov't employees live Virginia so their real estate tax doesn't go to the state. I don't know about their income tax system, if it's NYC they pay income tax despite living in an actual state. Also their rail system is something that Detroit would be ashamed of.

• Locked thread