Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alaois posted:

not a commuter i see

I listen to several podcasts during times when I can. Just not ones with random nobodies I've never heard of before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

X-O posted:

I listen to several podcasts during times when I can. Just not ones with random nobodies I've never heard of before.

Dang hard dis on Rhyno appearing on a podcast out of nowhere

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

You've never stumbled into any podcast personalities you ended up falling for?
I can't imagine a life without bumping into the Film Junk podcast :)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scaramouche posted:

Dang hard dis on Rhyno appearing on a podcast out of nowhere

Rhyno on a podcast is an instant nonstarter as far as getting me to listen.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You've never stumbled into any podcast personalities you ended up falling for?
I can't imagine a life without bumping into the Film Junk podcast :)

I don't really look for podcasts so much as when I hear someone I like has one or is on one I'll give it a listen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

So I was going to make another old comic post in the funny panels thread because I was reading CRIME DOES NOT PAY and came across some funny stuff:

...I've been staring in awe of this picture for like 5 whole minutes. It's beautiful. I think it's the funniest thing I've ever seen The man shoving a woman's head into a fire, a crime ghost looking on, "Legs" Diamond, poo poo just the giant CRIME DOES NOT PAY title. Every time I look at it there's something to make me smile. ...is this what joy feels like?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really listen to many comics podcasts, since discussing a visual medium on an audio medium doesn't really work too well unless you have *really* good hosts, and, shockingly, comics fans are generally not very interesting to listen talk to each other.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A good comics podcast would be one that goes into a deep dive about the history of the comics industry, biographical looks at different artists and writers, or talking about insane old stories and characters with an in depth look at different subtexts.

There was a batman history podcast that tried this for batman, but was just one host talking and as the other lists issue appearances of characters.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. 😁

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

You're mean. Don't worry Rhyno, I will listen to you gently caress up a podcast.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I mean, how would he hold the microphone with those widdle thumbs?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

You're mean. Don't worry Rhyno, I will listen to you gently caress up a podcast.

The first episode would be five hours of ranting about customers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno if you ever show up on Dickeye's podcast I will pay you to give him an on-air wedgie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

...I've been staring in awe of this picture for like 5 whole minutes. It's beautiful. I think it's the funniest thing I've ever seen The man shoving a woman's head into a fire, a crime ghost looking on, "Legs" Diamond, poo poo just the giant CRIME DOES NOT PAY title. Every time I look at it there's something to make me smile. ...is this what joy feels like?

Unfortunately the comic is super racist. Like how every time someone has an accent the author writes it out in the broadest stereotypical way possible. Also the comic is pre-Code and I can definitely see some points where having restrictions might have been better, like a panel showing a little girl getting murdered by being hit in the head with a hammer. The panel itself isn't really graphic but is still fairly upsetting.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The New Avengers lead by Luke Cage was a pretty good team; probably would have been my dream team as a kid. I wish they did more with them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Hootington posted:

A good comics podcast would be one that goes into a deep dive about the history of the comics industry, biographical looks at different artists and writers, or talking about insane old stories and characters with an in depth look at different subtexts.

There was a batman history podcast that tried this for batman, but was just one host talking and as the other lists issue appearances of characters.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. 😁

I think Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men might fit your criteria. Well maybe not the letter of it, but certainly the spirit.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Rejected from the DC Talent Workshop, o ignominy

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Make Scott Snyder feel bad on Twitter and he'll get you in.

They're publishing a special made by the last graduates, which is pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to it.

quote:

NEW TALENT SHOWCASE #1
Written by VITA AYALA, EMMA BEEBY, JOELLE JONES, HENA KHAN, MICHAL MCMILLIAN, MICHAEL MORECI, ERICA SCHULTZ, CHRIS SEBELA and ADAM SMITH
Art by BARNABY BAGENDA, JUAN FERREYRA, SONNY LIEW, DAVID MESSINA, KHARY RANDOLPH and more
Cover by KLAUS JANSON
In this new one-shot, Wonder Woman unleashes her true god of war against a parade of monsters! Superman discovers a new threat that might be bigger and badder than the joker himself! Hawkgirl solves crimes in the weird weapons unit for the GCPD! Carol Ferris and Kyle Rayner fight about ice cream in space! You’ll find all of this and so much more in NEW TALENT SHOWCASE #1, where recent graduate writers from the inaugural DC Talent Development workshop showcase some of their strongest work yet! See what they’ve learned from masters of the craft Scott Snyder, Jim Lee and Klaus Janson.
ONE-SHOT • On sale NOVEMBER 30 • 80 pg, FC, $7.99 US • RATED T

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 31, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men might fit your criteria. Well maybe not the letter of it, but certainly the spirit.

I haven't read a single x-man comic and want to before I listen to this podcast. 😐

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I got irritated with Jay & Miles' style and stopped listening to it, but it was actually a very good substitute for reading years upon years of X-Men comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gaunab posted:

The New Avengers lead by Luke Cage was a pretty good team; probably would have been my dream team as a kid. I wish they did more with them.

That whole 2004-2010 New Avengers series was Marvel's flagship book at the time, and it was so much fun. I especially loved the post-Civil War/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign era, where the Avengers were mostly outlaws on the run, trying to stay under the radar, clear their names, but still do good. Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Hawkeye/Ronin, Mockingbird, Echo, Spider-Woman, BuckyCap, and Dr. Strange made a hell of a lineup.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

An interview with Phil Hester in which he talks about his worst year ever. Spoiler alert, it's pretty loving lovely he started the year thinking he was going to die from a heart attack and ended the year almost blind
http://comicsbulletin.com/phil-hester-emerging-worst-year-life-professionally/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

An interview with Phil Hester in which he talks about his worst year ever. Spoiler alert, it's pretty loving lovely he started the year thinking he was going to die from a heart attack and ended the year almost blind

I read that earlier and it's depressing as hell.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RevKrule posted:

Man this is awful.

I meet Phil at a shop once where he was doing a signing. Surprised the hell out of him when I asked him to sign a copy of the Atheist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there a general merch thread?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Is there a general merch thread?

This is so much worse than the "training to be Batman's girlfriend" one it's almost sort of impressive.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I put irl superhero clothing stuff (e: Like Valentino's WW fashion line and Hot Topic/DC colabs, not cosplay) in the costume thread. That seemed to be fine.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 31, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

This is so much worse than the "training to be Batman's girlfriend" one it's almost sort of impressive.

I can see thinking it's lame, but worse than the objectifying one? This one at least has the wearer as the hero. She's not even washing her own cape, she's taking it to the drycleaners!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She's washing the car, presumably wearing daisy dukes while Warrant plays.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yep. That's exactly what that says.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

She's washing the car, presumably wearing daisy dukes while Warrant plays.

To-do lists for normal human beings will often include things like handling laundry and washing their car, this shirt has humorously subverted that common fact of life with "super heroic" versions of everyday activities, contrasted with outlandish activities exclusive to superheros such as saving the world. Hope that helps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Travis343 posted:

To-do lists for normal human beings will often include things like handling laundry and washing their car, this shirt has humorously subverted that common fact of life with "super heroic" versions of everyday activities, contrasted with outlandish activities exclusive to superheros such as saving the world. Hope that helps.

Haha, ok dude. The baby tee is definitely not talking about washing a man's car, it's actually being empowering to batgirl, who does not have a car.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just find the "girls do girl chores" thing more systematically oppressive and dumb than the girlfriend one because, I dunno, that seems logical at least on some level. Batgirl exists but she's not big in mainstream culture so when you're making this merch for fans of a character to whom the adage "girls want to be with him, guys want to be him" applies, I can see how that would arise.

It's still pretty bad, but like, I can see it. This one almost feels like you'd have to be intentionally sexist to come up with it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Haha, ok dude. The baby tee is definitely not talking about washing a man's car, it's actually being empowering to batgirl, who does not have a car.

I get this argument, you're right, Batgirl using a batcycle is iconic enough they could have put that on the shirt instead. And yeah laundry is a stereotypical woman's chore but it's a pretty far jump from that reasonable argument to "this shirt for literal toddlers is sexualizing the act of car washing like an 80s music video".

Although given the rap sheet of the person making that claim maybe it's not so shocking that their mind went there first.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People do that poo poo with kid's clothes all the time, it's a known thing. I was joking about that part anyway, though, and elaborated on my feelings about it vs the previous shirt in the other post.

I don't like coming off as using "I was joking" as an excuse a lot, but geez, goons sure are a humorless bunch.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

According to the Killing Joke adaption, they're pretty much interchangable!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I did the "what if it was a boy instead" thing and the shirt would be exactly the same if it said Batman instead, so it doesn't read as intentionally sexist to me. It honestly reads like there's a version that does say Batman instead, and they just did a quick word-swap and printed it on a pink shirt. They hosed up because nobody thought to check if Batgirl has a car of her own, so now it's carrying unintended baggage.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 31, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lol if you think substitution is a good way of detecting prejudice.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Hard to say if it's intentional (In this case, I'm inclined to think it isn't,) but it's definitely easy to read it as sexist. I agree that the main offender is the Batmobile, though I wonder if most of the people casually looking at that in a store are going to know that Batgirl's never had a Batmobile. I would conclude that it's an unfortunate confluence of details. If it wasn't pink, or replaced one of the domestic (read: stereotypically feminine) tasks with something else, it probably wouldn't raise the red flag. It's not indefensible by any stretch, but I can see how it could be problematic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman's Shameful September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman's Shameful September

By Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

• Locked thread