Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

this oughta be posted here

Sombrerotron posted:

anyway get a load of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i had a plextor cd burner. £160 lmao.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
all y2k computers need zip drives

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OSI bean dip posted:

all y2k computers need zip drives

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we had a zip drive

I have never ever used a zip disk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
zip drives weren't around very long before usb flash drives took over

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silver Alicorn posted:

zip drives weren't around very long before cd-r took over

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
zip drives were much faster than cd-rs or the early usb keys

they were, however, much less reliable than either alternative

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SO DEMANDING posted:

this oughta be posted here

those plexwriter 12/4/32s were bomb as gently caress because they were one of (if not?) the earliest burners to have buffer underrun protection, so you could do other stuff on your computer and if it didn't send data to the drive fast enough it wouldn't just instantly hose the burn.

i remember downloading music off napster and burning CDs for people at high school. good times

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

UDF-formatted CD-RWs

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
can you udf a hard drive

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

those plexwriter 12/4/32s were bomb as gently caress because they were one of (if not?) the earliest burners to have buffer underrun protection, so you could do other stuff on your computer and if it didn't send data to the drive fast enough it wouldn't just instantly hose the burn.

i remember downloading music off napster and burning CDs for people at high school. good times

Fuuuuck - I remember burning CDs at 8x off a 5400RPM Maxtor without any underrun support. Risky business...

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Made worse by the fact that each blank was around $10 in the early days of CD-R, most people were running Windows 98 with nasty IRQ sharing hardware and IDE hard drives that were barely fast enough to keep up.

Good times, I remember the ritual of rebooting your computer, closing all other applications and as many background tasks as possible to increase your chances of success :downs:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
surely someone remembers burning directly from a downloading file

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

error1 posted:

Made worse by the fact that each blank was around $10 in the early days of CD-R, most people were running Windows 98 with nasty IRQ sharing hardware and IDE hard drives that were barely fast enough to keep up.

Good times, I remember the ritual of rebooting your computer, closing all other applications and as many background tasks as possible to increase your chances of success :downs:

and watching the buffer gauge plummet if you accidentally bumped the mouse

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

remember to keep your hard drive and cdrom on a different ide channel

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Most important - make sure both the burner and HDD are capable of and set to DMA instead of PIO mode.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
i dont think this thread is complete until the op underruns a cd burning session with their warez'd software of choice

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

we need some period appropriate malware. does anyone archive that poo poo, and how much of it would work anymore?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

SO DEMANDING posted:

we need some period appropriate malware. does anyone archive that poo poo, and how much of it would work anymore?

danoct1

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm running windows 2000

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

also: https://archive.org/details/malwaremuseum

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
download everything you can find on a sling.to/fosi mirror. og site is down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

krooj posted:

i dont think this thread is complete until the op underruns a cd burning session with their warez'd software of choice

discover clone cd and use it to distribute working copies of gta 2. dont breathe on the tower while it's writing.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've still got this thing. not sure what to do tbqh. is there any cool workstation software I should try to run?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I've still got this thing. not sure what to do tbqh. is there any cool workstation software I should try to run?

old games

that literally the only half-decent reason to build a POS like this

was that not what you had in mind?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

eh. mostly I wanted to explore the hardware. learned a lot I guess

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I mean it's not old enough to play the really old DOS games that are more CPU dependent

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

eh. mostly I wanted to explore the hardware. learned a lot I guess

congratulations on exploring a frankensteined hardware configuration no one actually had back then.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I mean it's not old enough to play the really old DOS games that are more CPU dependent

not that old, use dosbox for that stuff . but there's a bunch of win98-era stuff which is completely hosed up on anything modern and doesnt work well with VMs

though things are changing, i was playing around with this recently: http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/

it's very very neckbeardy and has literally zero documentation, but i managed to get simcopter running!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey, it's a compaq motherboard with a compaq cpu and a compaq power supply. idk what video card would have been in an actual ap550 tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

hey, it's a compaq motherboard with a compaq cpu and a compaq power supply. idk what video card would have been in an actual ap550 tho

matrox g400 probably

if it was fancy enough, wildcat 3d. that won't play any video games tho

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Install BeOS imo

It opens up a whole new world of exciting computing if you've never tried it before

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmmm....

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

throw it in the trash where it belongs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

beos is cool but

Bloody posted:

throw it in the trash where it belongs
is the right answer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Raluek posted:

cant be stealthy if you have a quantum fireball. i bet a bunch of them still work, tho. they were weird like that, i think the ones i had either failed within the first year, or never. i wonder if this bigfoot can be coaxed into functionality

witness my y2k-as-gently caress mousepad

actually, its copyright 96. i guess i got it kinda late in the game

if they still sell that i have all my christmas shopping taken care of

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Run OpenBSD on it. And get a CRT.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

sarehu posted:

Run Solaris on it. And get a CRT.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
dude what a waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

krooj posted:

trying to find the pos passive cooler I had for my 9800 Pro...

ram heatsinks lol
pretty sure i had that same cooler, maybe on the same card. i miss passive cooling :(

• Locked thread