Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there's other people listing that same board for $100 or $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Rawrl posted:

op have you tried vogons.org? it started out as the DOSbox dev forum, but there's an entire subforum for this kind of stuff. lots of useful information.

hmmm *takes notes*

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

there's other people listing that same board for $100 or $50

See, that still seems absurd to me; I guess I have unrealistic expectations. It really just bugs me that between this, cars, and retrogaming most of my hobbies are getting Rule 36'ed.

All the same, I probably shouldn't post when I'm tired.
Sorry atomicthumbs, that was uncalled for.

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010

Rawrl posted:

I shouldn't post

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

counterpoint: :justpost:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

seconding the zip drive requirement

how else are you going to accomplish your weekly exchange of napster-downloaded-via-dial-up mp3s

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

maybe. I already have to track down an ultra wide scsi hard drive I think

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i started college in 2000, which was right at the point where floppies weren't quite big enough to hold much but anything bigger was kind of expensive and/or had limited support, so we were issued zip discs in various classes to use in the lab computers and mostly transferred other poo poo by emailing ourselves. (i got a cdrw a year or two later)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how many compilations an hour could those chips do with a modern kernel?

none

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rawrl posted:

I resent the upward trend in prices because - from my experience - they aren't worth remotely that much.

See, here's the thing: apparently they are

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

"the thing i could once buy for cheap when it was common and more recently obsolete is more expensive now, ten years later! this is bullshit!"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

man complains BMW E30s are expensive, shouldn't be because they are an old compact car and not worth that much

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i gashed my hand open on a solder joint so by god i am going to squeeze blood from this VLB stone if it's the last thing I do

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

atomicthumbs posted:

man complains BMW E30s are expensive, shouldn't be because they are an old compact car and not worth that much

old computer parts and e30s should definitely be worth more, because then i will finally be able to retire

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:siren: motherboard came in :siren:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there's a weird 6 pin socket next to the regular atx power socket. any idea what that is?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well bad news: I inspected the motherboard and found a transistor that's bent over and very loose. I could probably repair but I'm gonna try to exchange first

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this motherboard is amazing though. beautiful. pristine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the foam was pre-yellowed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
probably an extra +12v rail on that 6 pin

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey OP if you really want this to be a y2k computer it's gotta be in this case

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

probably wouldn't fit in that case. it originally came in one like this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

probably an extra +12v rail on that 6 pin

yeah, i can't tell how it's keyed, but i wonder if a pci-e would work.

apparently six-pin AUX power connectors were a thing back then on high-powered motherboards, but they don't look like that at all. probably some proprietary compaq thing you'll need to find pinout documentation for and lol good luck with that

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

plextor crew :whatup:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, i can't tell how it's keyed, but i wonder if a pci-e would work.

apparently six-pin AUX power connectors were a thing back then on high-powered motherboards, but they don't look like that at all. probably some proprietary compaq thing you'll need to find pinout documentation for and lol good luck with that

yea I think I'm gonna just get the official PSU since the 24pin connector apparently is proprietary too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

having second thoughts about this motherboard!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

post the transistor

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

yea I think I'm gonna just get the official PSU since the 24pin connector apparently is proprietary too

haha owned. that was one of dell's favorite tricks, using the ATX power connector but with a proprietary pinout

Silver Alicorn posted:

probably wouldn't fit in that case. it originally came in one like this

oooh try to get a plextor CD burner, every nerd lusted after those back then. second choice would be a yamaha

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

haha owned. that was one of dell's favorite tricks, using the ATX power connector but with a proprietary pinout

i know this pain

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think I had a Yamaha burner

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

post the transistor

ok. you can kinda see where the leads cracked. please excuse my knee, shag carpet.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
gotta love the time when everyone had a separate cd writer and dvd drive. my first dvd drive, some 4x speed thing i think came with baldurs gate on just ONE disc! you could even do a small install and play it from the disc

compaq pcs from that time were insane i think some were so proprietary they had all their pci ports on a custom riser card lol also they never gave you the pinouts of the hdd led n stuff, instead the case the mb was supposed to come with had just one plug for all of those that fit over the dangly pins

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok. you can kinda see where the leads cracked. please excuse my knee, shag carpet.

looks good enough, i bet it still works. if the board cant take abuse like that its a poo poo board and deserves to be broken

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Aix posted:

gotta love the time when everyone had a separate cd writer and dvd drive. my first dvd drive, some 4x speed thing i think came with baldurs gate on just ONE disc! you could even do a small install and play it from the disc

compaq pcs from that time were insane i think some were so proprietary they had all their pci ports on a custom riser card lol also they never gave you the pinouts of the hdd led n stuff, instead the case the mb was supposed to come with had just one plug for all of those that fit over the dangly pins

I think the WoW Vanilla Collector's Edition came with a DVD (as opposed to 5 CDs) and that was a selling point.

Mac games always used to come on DVD because you knew that a model that could run the game would have a reader. :woz:

VVV haha, case in point. Mac UT2K4 was 1DVD and had a 200KB noCD toast image to run :)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 5, 2016

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Aix posted:

it took the games industry for-loving-ever to fully switch to DVDs, and early on they did stupid horseshit like only putting a game on DVD in some limited collectors crap. UT2K4 did this, I had to scrounge eBay for an overpriced copy because it was sold out everywhere else. all to avoid having to deal with 4-5 CDs or whatever, lol. still have the dumb metal box.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

insert the CINEMATICS DISC to continue

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

it took the games industry for-loving-ever to fully switch to DVDs, and early on they did stupid horseshit like only putting a game on DVD in some limited collectors crap. UT2K4 did this, I had to scrounge eBay for an overpriced copy because it was sold out everywhere else. all to avoid having to deal with 4-5 CDs or whatever, lol. still have the dumb metal box.

god thye were still doing this crap even when dvd drives were uper ubiquitous. like, sorry you can't afford $20 for an oem drive maybe buy one less game?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

My old 850 chipset board had a weird 6-pin auxiliary input as well, and that was a straight up intel board. IIRC power supplies from that era typically had a connector. Oddly enough it doesn't match the connector in your photo, maybe there were competing standards?

You can see it just below the ATX power in this pic:

e: This page has info on the single-row connector in my pic, but I can't find anything about the 2-row thing
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#aux

burning swine fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 5, 2016

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I think it's this compaq proprietary connector (bottom left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I'm contemplating switching over to an i820 board with only one cpu slot. would allow me to use a modern/non janky psu anyway

• Locked thread