Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm nostalgia-fueled binge reading waaaaay too many Final Fantasy LP's and I'm getting the JRPG itch.

Last time I tried playing one it was Tales of Vesperia for the 360 and I gave up about 2/3 into the game (story-wise, I'm sure it was closer to 1/3 if we count all the optional poo poo I didn't do). I also borrowed FF13 from a friend and gave it a try, but let's not go there.
Last time I enjoyed one was in the PS2 era, probably Shadow Hearts: Covenant or FF12.

I have access to a PC and a PS3, is there anything good in there, or were jrpgs poo poo all along and I only remember FF7 fondly because I played it when I was 15?

If you're not against trying a Tales game again just wait for one of the sales where one of the PS3 games is on sale. Xillia 2 is a direct sequel though so maybe try the first game before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All of the PS3 Atelier games are good apart from the original Rorona and Totori I guess. It also has two of the best Tales games, Xillia and Graces F, Ni No Kuni, which is bad but a lot of people like, Nier, FF X and X-2 if you feel like replaying those, two decent Disgaea's, Valkyria Chronicles...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if arpgs count play some loving Ys

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah Ys Origin is probably the best of the traditional format ones.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tons of good poo poo from Xseed on Steam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Duh, I forgot about Trails of Cold Steel too and the sequel comes out next month.

Play the two Trails in the Sky games on Steam first if you can though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I haven't played any of the other PS3 Atelier games but here's the trash mob of Ayesha. It's called a Fruit Hamster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm nostalgia-fueled binge reading waaaaay too many Final Fantasy LP's and I'm getting the JRPG itch.

Last time I tried playing one it was Tales of Vesperia for the 360 and I gave up about 2/3 into the game (story-wise, I'm sure it was closer to 1/3 if we count all the optional poo poo I didn't do). I also borrowed FF13 from a friend and gave it a try, but let's not go there.
Last time I enjoyed one was in the PS2 era, probably Shadow Hearts: Covenant or FF12.

I have access to a PC and a PS3, is there anything good in there, or were jrpgs poo poo all along and I only remember FF7 fondly because I played it when I was 15?

Play Xenoblade Chronicles, the original one on the Wii. It's good.

It might be a bit expensive to buy now though...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mak0rz posted:

It's on N3DS for cheap though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bloodychill posted:

It's on N3DS for cheap though.

Oh right I keep forgetting about that.

How did that port turn out anyway?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Oh right I keep forgetting about that.

How did that port turn out anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4EBvxsPrJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMIw8c10mYI

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Edmond, did you ever play Ni No Kuni? The combat's kind of a mixed bag, but it's a great experience.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

If all you have is a PS3 or PC it doesn't give you a lot of good options.

uhhh you can play both smt3 nocturne and persona 4 on ps3 which are the best two jrpgs ever made so what are you talking about please

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ni no Kuni was charming and I should get back to it.

I was playing it last year before I was rudely interrupted by Mario Maker and MGSV.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not a 1:1 port, but still adequate. That's good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mak0rz posted:

It's :20bux: on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

less laughter posted:

It's :20bux: on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Didn't know that either! I'm glad the Wii U exists so we can play older Nintendo games that are hard to get physical copies of. I wish I had one, in fact.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stux posted:

uhhh you can play both smt3 nocturne and persona 4 on ps3 which are the best two jrpgs ever made so what are you talking about please
Also Ni No Kuni, and I don't know how the gently caress I forgot it, but I didn't know those two SMT games were available on PS3.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Had completely forgotten about Xenoblade; a friend of mine has offered to lend me his WiiU a couple times now, so I may take him up on the offer and just buy it on the Virtual Console.

Also I just booted up my PS3 for the first time in forever; somewhere along the way I got Persona 3 and Yakuza 4 (I have a shared account with a friend so sometimes he gets new stuff, that would explain Yakuza 5 being here).\

I think I'll start with Persona 3 and see about taking Xenoblade for a spin if I get that WiiU.

I'll be doing some research with the other suggestions, so thanks all!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also Ni No Kuni, and I don't know how the gently caress I forgot it, but I didn't know those two SMT games were available on PS3.

I mean if we're including PS1 and PS2 classics we'll be here all day.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Also play South Park: The Stick of Truth, one of the best JRPGs on the PS3.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

less laughter posted:

Also play South Park: The Stick of Truth, one of the best JRPGs on the PS3.

parker-san and stone-kun

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You could just play Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden instead of all those inferior games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

You could just play Tales of Symphonia instead of all those inferior beings.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

You could just play Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden instead of all those inferior games.

Bite me. I'll play all three.

What now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pictured: Lloyd showing them no quarter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You shouldn't play Barkley SUAJG until the sequel's out so you're not waiting for the plot to continue.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

You shouldn't play Barkley SUAJG until the sequel's out so you're not waiting for the plot to continue.

So basically never?

I kid.

I wonder how that games doing. I don't even bother with the thread because it's just goons trying to one up each other in jokes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That's cute. Is the game fun to play?
Once you get past the boring tutorial level it's really good, as good a megaman inspired game as you're gonna get for free on Steam

it's not as good as shovel knight of course but what is

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's the wrong Tales of Game's

Quest For Glory II posted:

Once you get past the boring tutorial level it's really good, as good a megaman inspired game as you're gonna get for free on Steam

it's not as good as shovel knight of course but what is

Cool, I'll try it out later tonight.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Cool, I'll try it out later tonight.

Did either one of you ever say the game's name? I'm dyin' here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

Did either one of you ever say the game's name? I'm dyin' here.
Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls

http://store.steampowered.com/app/467380/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Symphonia gameplay has aged so badly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you do not actually destroy them but befriend them and theres plenty of yuri bait dialogue as well tehhh

in terms of free releases, the punching may be simple but everything else about it is dense, lots of collectables and optional levels/bosses to unlock. reminds me of the Cave Story era of doujin gaming

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Symphonia gameplay has aged so badly.

I still find it fairly charming but yeah seriously

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a sales disaster in Japan

quote:

Federation Force's absence from the software top 20 means it sold less than 4,441 copies during its opening week, below 20th place entry Splatoon (which, after a year, has notched up 1.45m Japanese sales).

so metroid is dead

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ugh, all this talk of JRPGs made me remember I still own Disgaea 3, 4 and D2. Still gotta beat 'em.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

well someone did try to revive it this month but nintendo didnt like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It was never going to sell well in Japan.

• Locked thread