Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i think both interpretations are pretty interesting

you can see it as like a metaphor for the white mans burden and slavery in that kong though mistreated is taken from his savage and literally backwards biologically land and given an opportunity to be maintained by and participate in a "civilized" society in an admittedly demeaning role but his nature leads him to rebel and te tragedy of the story is that his inability to trade freedom for stability and "purpose" leads to suffering for everyone

or

you can see it as a metaphor for colonialism where the oppression of the people or theft of the products of one culture for the enrichment of another leads inevitably to violence and instability and the tragedy of the story is the way short term motivation of greed causes suffering to everyone though this interpretation has the non colonial culture represented by an ape which is p hosed up anyway

my point is this piece of american mythology probably isnt very relevant in 2016 much less 2017 so this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbI4w95cTE
should really have been rethought

discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I'm gonna go with antithesis OP

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
man sees movie about a giant monkey, creates fictitious allegory about black people in his mind, wonders if its racist

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

man sees movie about a giant monkey, creates fictitious allegory about black people in his mind, wonders if its racist or anti-racist

ftfy

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
most black people aren't smart enough to climb to the highest point in NYC and demand freedom op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
As a progressive, whenever i see a monster movie about a big-rear end monkey, it makes me think of black ppl. Then i write lots of thinkpieces about how racists are monsters who are terrified of black ppl and i ask twitter to ban them.

I hope that answers your question, OP.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Why would a movie about a monkey be racist OP?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Can't it be a movie about how greed is dumb?

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
yeas thats oene of the options i presented seems pretty hard to separate your interpretatin from a historical context here but id like someone to try

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why would a movie about a monkey be racist OP?

well in this context a monkey would be super racist but king kong is an ape which is bad but still leaves a little wiggle room

at least i assume he is given his supernatural size he may fall into another common classification form i guess

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 1, 2016

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

i think it depends on whether king kong represents africa or not

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sonofsilversign posted:

yeas thats oene of the options i presented seems pretty hard to separate your interpretatin from a historical context here but id like someone to try

well in this context a monkey would be super racist but king kong is an ape which is bad but still leaves a little wiggle room

at least i assume he is given his supernatural size he may fall into another common classification form i guess

Wow so now you're being racist against primates. "A monkey isn't good enough to be King Kong."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sonofsilversign posted:

Okay.

"If you find a gigantic monkey can crush whole villages beneath its feet, taking it to a major city at all is dumb, and taking it to a major city, for money, is the act of a retard"

However, it appears the 2017 film is probably about environmentalism, as is subtly conveyed by having people use flamethrowers and drop napalm all over the untamed wilderness for about half the trailer.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
i mean it's indisputable that black dudes look a little like big ole gorillas

but what about all the rich white chicks who look like dogs???

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

jBrereton posted:

Okay.

"If you find a gigantic monkey can crush whole villages beneath its feet, taking it to a major city at all is dumb, and taking it to a major city, for money, is the act of a retard"

However, it appears the 2017 film is probably about environmentalism, as is subtly conveyed by having people use flamethrowers and drop napalm all over the untamed wilderness for about half the trailer.

hmm simplistic no reference to current popular political issues looks like someone didnt get 6 figures in debt studying film

keep in mind that the only memorable line from the original film is "twas beauty killed the beast" which seems to imply that that character at least believes the central tragedy of the film is kongs inability to control his insatiable lust for white women deeply problematic imo

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
White women still tend to behave as if and like to think of themselves as Ann Darrow when in the presence of actual minorities so I'm inclined to say that yes it is racist.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

You're overthinking it OP, you big baboon.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Sometimes a big monkey is just a big monkey

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
interpretation is intellectual masturbation im just tryna mutually masturbate with strangers on the internet so that we can all feel gratified ya know

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The way I read it is that King Kong is a big ugly monster who left the safety of his home after being tricked by people smarter than him, and ended up dead. The moral of the story is that if a goon goes out to look for a job when their parents start bitching about it, they're gonna get loving shot.

Also, girls find them gross.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What exactly about King Kong made it so memorable and famous for decades? Can anybody explain this to me?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

notZaar posted:

What exactly about King Kong made it so memorable and famous for decades? Can anybody explain this to me?

Big monkey

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

notZaar posted:

The special effects were groundbreaking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYWSOzFMZjg

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
In many ways the "Transformers" of the 1930s.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's about a giant loving gorilla fighting dinosaurs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
OP I see it as Tom Hiddleston is desperate for anybody, ANYBODY to see him as something other than Loki, the movie itself does not matter

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually gorillas aren't monkeys, OP.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They just had a lovely remake a decade ago.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Jeff Sichoe posted:

i mean it's indisputable that black dudes look a little like big ole gorillas

but what about all the rich white chicks who look like dogs???

"b-but rich white chicks look like [random animal]"

Half of the "black guys look like monkeys" joke is that they supposedly didn't evolve like everyone else did. The joke is that they're at a lower evolutionary state and, thus, less smart or something. This is the most half-assed attempt at damage control I've ever seen.

It's really obvious that you buy into the whole race stigma embedded in "blacks look like monkeys" joke at the point that you think you've found some polar identity on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in "rich white girls".

Also, at OP:

King Kong is peculiar insofar as it represents a very metaphysically empty slate for anyone to project their own fears, stereotypes and beliefs about race and the human condition as it relates to "non-human" identities. Several studies which examine this phenomenon have been done on not only this film, but Planet of the Apes and, when abandoning earthly fauna, Enemy Mine as well.

As for my own opinion, it could be racist, but any definitive answer is founded on the assumption that I can somehow perfectly read the mind of film's writers and directors, which is categorically false. People often wish to find racism, people often wish to not find it; due to this, it's difficult to properly diagnose racial prejudice in any form of media lest one lights the torch against a well-meaning director or, conversely, dismisses genuine claims against an ignorant one.

also, what the gently caress is "anti-racist"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo it's racist to think that the giant gorilla is a stand in for black people but that's just me haha

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I always thought donkey kong was based on bestiality and a Nintendo exec's trip to Tijuana back in the 70's

edit: I really like donkey kong give me more reasons to talk about doankey kong

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
They should make King Kong be King of the Planet of the Apes. That would be cool.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Why aren't there other King Kongs??? I know there was in that 80s King Kong, but seems like their population would be unsustainable if there's just one of them. And King Kong must have been incredibly inbred by the time of the movie.

So another valid question is just how retarded and deformed was King Kong? I suspect the Kong's would be like that inbred family on that one X-Files episode by this point.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
as a leader of the black community* i have to say the king kong reboot is so-so

* - the jack black community

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
im not really a member of the jack black community but have culturally appropriated tenacious d

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hail satan HAIL SATAN

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The film is kind of racist, (metaphorical status of the ape aside, it literally depicts an island of stereotyped jungle savages) which is what makes it interesting and worth watching. It pushes some pretty uncomfortable buttons still latent in our national psyche.

The Peter Jackson remake is utterly awful though.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Kuato posted:

Why aren't there other King Kongs??? I know there was in that 80s King Kong, but seems like their population would be unsustainable if there's just one of them. And King Kong must have been incredibly inbred by the time of the movie.

So another valid question is just how retarded and deformed was King Kong? I suspect the Kong's would be like that inbred family on that one X-Files episode by this point.

the Kongs are like a Full House-esque family. they never die and they never change.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

FoxStrats posted:

also, what the gently caress is "anti-racist"

King Kong is definitely supposed to be a black dude, but they made him real big so its not racist, in fact its so not racist its anti racist

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i ran your question through a supercomputer and it spat out a little piece of paper that said "i'm gay" :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Cosmic Charlie posted:

King Kong is definitely supposed to be a black dude, but they made him real big so its not racist, in fact its so not racist its anti racist

Recipe for post-racial society:
XL apes (looooooots of em)

• Locked thread