Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

origami posted:

If I was 5'6" or whatever I would kill myself

you could always run a successful twitch.tv channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope we hear what's next for Rory soon, he's easily in my top three favourite fighters and I really believe he can be champ. Also this is his official instagram account icon :allears:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

I dont even like Johny but hes no Johny. He has a bunch of KOs for sure but he will never ever be in a Fight of the Night, he either lands an overhand right or he gives up and literally cowers against the fence. I respect not wanting to watch fights but if you just watch this couple second clip from the Rory fight this is what the entire thing was: https://streamable.com/l1ih

He also almost lost (bad split decision) to Jordan mein in a fight in which he spent literally the entire fight on top, he never attempted to pass or throw a single GNP strike and Mein badly beat him up from the bottom

Anyway though, it will definitely become a good contrarian thing to like Woodley because ive never seen anyone say theyre a fan of his and personally it will irritate me for sure when people start pretending to be

there's no way Woodley isn't going to have one of the shortest title reigns if he schedules a defense of his title before the end of the year, which he plans on doing, so I don't think there will be too much time for him to gain a ton of fans.

That being said if he does somehow finish Wonderboy, GSP, or Diaz I'll be alright with that. But I'm thinking he loses his belt immediately within 90 days of getting it and then most people are just gonna ask when does Robbie or Carlos fight for the belt again. Woodley spends more time as an analyst on FOX.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

Anyway though, it will definitely become a good contrarian thing to like Woodley because ive never seen anyone say theyre a fan of his and personally it will irritate me for sure when people start pretending to be

lol. wicked same.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Should not a fan of Velasquez be down with the overhand right/boring fence cowardice combo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

Should not a fan of Velasquez be down with the overhand right/boring fence cowardice combo

lol

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Lol. but yeah if Woodley was undersized for the division and aggressively pushed forward all the time and chain wrestled instead of aggressively trying to back up and leave the cage thats probably all it would take for me to like him. Cain is a way more interesting fighter, and equally boring as a person

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cain posted a video with him and Conor recently and I imagine them as a Rocket/Groot duo from Guardians of the Galaxy. Also is the reason Cain has such good HW cardio because he's like smaller than Rockhold?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

origami posted:

If I was 5'6" or whatever I would kill myself

I'm 5'8 :-/

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

TimeWaster posted:

Of course, I'm dumb. For some reason I kept thinking Nate was a WW. Carry on...

I don't feel quite as dumb now. Even the UFC doesn't know what division Nate's from. In their latest video it introduces him as a UFC Welterweight at 0:20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wv9vPoi_Rw

Anyway, the rematch makes slightly more sense if Conor's trying to get back to a LW Title shot but beating the #4 LW contender at the wrong weight is still kinda a weird way to do it.

TimeWaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 3, 2016

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Woodley's fights, but I do respect his business acumen. He understands the short term nature of prize fighting and is driven to make the most amount of money with the least amount of damage inflicted on his person. Is it entertaining? Not really, but when he's older, he's the one who's going to have to suffer the consequences of getting punched in the head. I loving loved Lawler's title reign, but there's no doubt that those wars had a price.

JuanGoat fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 3, 2016

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

EmmyOk posted:

I hope we hear what's next for Rory soon, he's easily in my top three favourite fighters and I really believe he can be champ. Also this is his official instagram account icon :allears:

He's done. Finished.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tron killed Koscheck and now dickhead shark-man Robbie Lawler with sick-rear end KOs and drat, look at that physique. No irony needed imo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Cain posted a video with him and Conor recently and I imagine them as a Rocket/Groot duo from Guardians of the Galaxy. Also is the reason Cain has such good HW cardio because he's like smaller than Rockhold?

I was face to face with Rockhold at Fight Night Sioux Falls and he was smaller than I expected.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

manyak posted:

:smith:

CommonShore posted:

I was face to face with Rockhold at Fight Night Sioux Falls and he was smaller than I expected.

But how tall and buff was he?

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
gently caress Woodley as a fighter and other fighting related stuff, but I think it's dope that he's gotten a bunch of cool movie parts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

:smith:

But how tall and buff was he?

Like he was tall, but not as dashingly broad-shouldered as I expected. He's actually a pretty slender-framed man.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JuanGoat posted:

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Woodley's fights, but I do respect his business acumen. He understands the short term nature of prize fighting and is driven to make the most amount of money with the least amount of damage inflicted on his person. Is it entertaining? Not really, but when he's older, he's the one who's going to have to suffer the consequences of getting punched in the head. I loving loved Lawler's title reign, but there's no doubt that those wars had a price.

Well being the champ and getting wins doesnt guarantee you get paid, just ask RDA. If he was only worried about making the most money he probably shouldve endeared himself to fans at some point. I respect it in theory but im not gonna be like "well his fights suck but Im buying the PPV because i really respect his ability to take money from me and offer no entertainment in return"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

manyak posted:

No offense but arent you like the same height as Chad mendes irl?

I am taller than Chad Mendes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

JuanGoat posted:

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Woodley's fights, but I do respect his business acumen.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't pay to watch Warren Buffet fight, either

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

fatherdog posted:

Fair enough, but I wouldn't pay to watch Warren Buffet fight, either

I loving WOULD

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
God those were great promos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeBXT1k7nII

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's buzz that Hunt refused a USADA out-of-competition test because he was mad at them.

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.

Ty1990 posted:

I'm 5'8 :-/

I'm 5'3 :(

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Nate Diaz is on Jimmy Kimmel and he's walking up behind people poo poo talking him on the sidewalk - he comes off pretty funny and good natured.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

origami posted:

Nate Diaz is on Jimmy Kimmel and he's walking up behind people poo poo talking him on the sidewalk - he comes off pretty funny and good natured.

That sounds funny

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I guys I really appreciate the surreptitious well wishes I have received over the past week not posting. I'm basically the executor of my grandfather's big rear end estate for my father who is really capable of productive decisions right now so my posting output is way loving lower. I'll be back.

(Funny story - haven't weight over 205 in about six or seven years. Was weighed a week and a have ago. Went to the doctor complaining that my feet were swollen like sausages. Weighed in (clothed) at 235 lbs! Want to gain over 25 pounds of water that will appear as fat in less than two week, brother!? Just get some pain meds that hate your anti nausea meds! This is what I get for proclaiming a month ago that I'd eventually get back to Jiu Jitsu.)

My apologies if it's been covered to death by this point as I normally read every line of the threads but I just jumped ahead to here - What the gently caress does Holly Holm do? Goes from beating the Ronda death machine to dropping two in a row? This sport is so loving cruel.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

CommonShore posted:

There's buzz that Hunt refused a USADA out-of-competition test because he was mad at them.

This would not be smart

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

This would not be smart

massively not smart, into retarded

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

handsome only face posted:

all the best fighters have horrible devastating losses like Chuck, GSP, Lawler but people want to point and laugh at Conor when he loses because they don't like him for saying insane crap like that he would beat Chad Mendes or Jose Aldo.

Actually it was super funny that he lost to ten day prep camp cabo Nate Diaz after declaring himself a god, dressing up like el chapo, declaring himself the p4p #1-9 fighter on Earth with jones and mouse being 10 and 11, and him and his coach stating they would be competing for the welterweight belt after they ran through Nate in one round.

I think it's all that crazy poo poo talk that was followed up by him refusing to do press for UFC 200 because he needed every possible second of training to even stand a chance against the Ivan Drogo of Stockton in the rematch he demanded in the first place, and then subsequently getting yanked from the card.

It's really all of that stuff that has people having a laugh at McGregor and not just that he took a loss.

I don't think anyone thought it was all that crazy when he said he could beat Chad and Aldo.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I thought he was insane and also if Chad had a full training camp to roid up he'd smash Conor.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think Conor is entertaining and has cool fights and I eagerly look forward to him winning or (most likely) losing against Nate Diaz

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

origami posted:

I think Conor is entertaining and has cool fights and I eagerly look forward to him winning or (most likely) losing against Nate Diaz

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Holly Holm will go back to her home planet

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TACvzE-nHfQ

maffew buildings posted:

Holly Holm will go back to her home planet

She will leave Jackson-Winklejohn and sign on with former training partner and good friend Travis Browne at Glendale.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can't believe the holm planet joke opp was missed.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

New scoring approved for MMA:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/2/12363980/abc-body-approves-changes-to-mma-scoring-criteria-new-rules-in

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I hadn't seen that rule change on what constitutes a grounded fighter before, that's cool and good and a long time coming.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the abc is the group that meets and passes rules saying that they're changing all the weight classes and then the actual state commissions say "no you're not" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the abc is the group that meets and passes rules saying that they're changing all the weight classes and then the actual state commissions say "no you're not" right?

Never heard of the org but from the article it seems like it's actually composed of the state commissions so buy-in at one of their meetings should get reflected by action at the state commission level (except for New Jersey who dissented)

• Locked thread