Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

I was gonna say now is the perfect time for Diaz/Lawler 2 but it turns out Nick 'hasn't won a fight since 2011' Diaz doesn't wanna fight any one coming off of a loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hard work beats talent when talent refuses to leave iceland

Speaking of that, the first day of my Icelandic vacation coincides with the fight. Where do I go to stalk Gunnar Nelson? Willie D, do you have any tips on how to approach?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

david carmichael posted:

The only time I recall Nate being anything even close to outpointed on the feet was the second maynard fight.

Didnt Dos Anjos embarrass him on the feet? I didn't actually see that fight, but I heard he leg kicked him to death. Or was that more the 'leg kick to overhand to clinch' Hendo style of striking?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Jeremy Horn is cool because he's like a physical manifestation of the bridge between the dark ages of MMA and the modern stuff. And hell, even the relationship between z-league MMA and the big leagues. Dude did the crazy poo poo in the 90's when it was no holds barred, choked out Chuck Liddell, in the late 90's, was one of the handful of 90's fighters that adapted and continued fighting at a high level through the 2000's, stayed at a high enough level to get a title shot at Liddell, submitted Chael Sonnen more time than I can count, had multiple stints in the UFC, and fought more matches than any sane human should take on, most of them against real fighters and journeyman (as opposed to Travis Fulton who amassed his huge record beating up guys with three fights). And he's still fighting? Jesus Christ. The guy's a walking history book.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

i love these loving idiots.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Wild Horses posted:

We can never know if a Diaz is a genius of planning or just being a Diaz

That's part of their attraction

I can assure you that either Diaz plans nothing. Their life is just a series of inexplicable Diaz moments that can only be created by people with no conceptions of past, future, or consequences. It's like an Alzheimer's light where those guys just live 5 minutes at a time, only recognising the current instant. Someone does something you don't like? See someone you don't like? That poo poo has to be resolved immediately with a slap, it can't wait. I think they literally can't comprehend the idea of something happening in the future. No wonder those guys smoke so much weed, it's gotta be exhausting to live that way. They sign a contract to fight a guy in four months, but to them it means that the fight starts now and doesn't end until the referee finally says its over.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

willie_dee posted:

Nope, I got banned, that jokes now over.

I Stand With Willie Dee

(by the garbage bin he is hiding behind while spying on James Thompson's run)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Nierbo posted:

People try and punch Krzyzytosfvs Shoshinkski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LQvPCuwbY

My old coach once told me that one of the most notable differences between sparring with fighters vs. sparring with people training for fun was that you punch air way more against the fighters. Not exactly a surprise, but a big difference from how beginners plod at each other and shell up. Obviously they're blocking when they need to be, but the head movement and positioning is miles above what you might expect, even if it doesn't look like theyre bobbing and weaving.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
One time I went the wrong way in a UFC arena and ended up in an elevator with Joe Silva. I didn't recognize him until he got off on the restricted floor with backstage access. Welp that's my story.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Also one time I saw Dana at a sports bar in LA but didn't wanna approach him because I thought it might have been some other bald guy so I just looked uncomfortably in his direction instead while I tried to figure out if it was him. Then I tweeted him about it and he was like hell yeah I'm here for the Lakers/Celtics game. And that's why meeting celebrities and social anxiety go great together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Eat Bum Zen posted:

hm, I must be wrong. i've watched some documentaries (one was advant garde or whatever) I must have the wrong one

Tiger is the most popular Thai gym with tourists for sure, but they've still got poo poo loads of pros that train there.

They definitely love tourist money and I've heard mixed things about their training for different skill levels, but enough pros do work there that they've inevitably got some good training in there somewhere if you're a high level fighter. I thiiiiiiiink they're the most modern and best equipped gym in Phuket by far, probably due to the poo poo loads of tourist money they get. They pay better than skinny Thai kids.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread