Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Does anybody know if microsoft are still trying to force windows 10 up your PCs rear end in a top hat via windows update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Freedom isn't free

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I don't see it on my PC anymore.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Microwaves Mom posted:

great, thanks.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

monkey posted:

great, thanks.

Did you have your PC off until it was over out of fear?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
No, but when a friend who is "good with computers" got accidentally infected by windows 10, I switched windows update to manual and only ever allowed critical security updates. I never even saw the little "install windows 10" icon on any of my PCs. After a while it broke windows update completely though, some of the security updates must have had dependencies on other updates that I refused to swallow. Now I know it's safe I'll allow the "recommended" poo poo.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Microwaves Mom posted:

Wait, is the reason you do not see it because you installed windows 10?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
my poo poo was like yo windows 8.1 is here and I said gently caress you and cntrl alt delted that poo poo into hell like killed the notifcation task manger bar and now I am the boss of my own it crew nig

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

monkey posted:

Wait, is the reason you do not see it because you installed windows 10?

lol no. I wouldn't want advertisements on my PC.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Jeff Sichoe posted:

my poo poo was like yo windows 8.1 is here and I said gently caress you and cntrl alt delted that poo poo into hell like killed the notifcation task manger bar and now I am the boss of my own it crew nig

This reminds me of a story.

There was a LAN party at my house and a group of us went to buy burgers and chicken, anyway it was a saturday night and there were some girls in the burger shop on their way out clubbing, and my friend was telling this story about some poo poo on his PC which climaxed in "...and I just CONTROL ALT DELETED that poo poo!" complete with the two-handed finger movements. One of the club girls turns to me, all makeup and miniskirts, gestures at my friends and says "Do you believe these guys? I thought nerds like that only existed in the movies." You see, even though the LAN party was at my house, I do not look like a nerd and because I'd walked in from having a cigarette she'd mistaken me for a normal person.

So I replied to this girl "I know, what a retard, right? He totally should have done a Control-Shift-Escape." and flashed her the finger position which is co-incidentally the same as the reverse shocker. The look of confusion on her face slowly giving way to disgust as she realised she was speaking to some turbo nerd was pretty funny.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yes, but now they just automatically charge your credit card for the Windows 10 update. Hope that helps.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

imagine getting worked up over an operating system

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

monkey posted:

There was a LAN party at my house and a group of us went to buy burgers and chicken, anyway it was a saturday night and there were some girls in the burger shop on their way out clubbing, and my friend was telling this story about some poo poo on his PC which climaxed in "...and I just CONTROL ALT DELETED that poo poo!" complete with the two-handed finger movements. One of the club girls turns to me, all makeup and miniskirts, gestures at my friends and says "Do you believe these guys? I thought nerds like that only existed in the movies." You see, even though the LAN party was at my house, I do not look like a nerd and because I'd walked in from having a cigarette she'd mistaken me for a normal person.

So I replied to this girl "I know, what a retard, right? He totally should have done a Control-Shift-Escape." and flashed her the finger position which is co-incidentally the same as the reverse shocker. The look of confusion on her face slowly giving way to disgust as she realised she was speaking to some turbo nerd was pretty funny.

and then i banged the girl behind the chippie

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I still remember my dumb friend talking about how his dad had Windows 9 thanks to some vague BS story about combining versions. This was over 15 years ago.

That scary rear end padlocked windows logo on the corner of my screen was triggering me hard. Still expecting the sudden "wait, gotta update first" crap that ends with me suddenly having 10.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Imagine getting excited for the chance to upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
You can still get the free upgrade here: https://www.microsoft.com/accessibility/windows10upgrade

(but only if you are handicapped and/or a goon)

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I use DOpus 9, which means the "free upgrade" to windows 10 would cost me $100 as I'd have to upgrade to DOpus 11 in order to keep not using windows.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

I still remember my dumb friend talking about how his dad had Windows 9 thanks to some vague BS story about combining versions. This was over 15 years ago.

That scary rear end padlocked windows logo on the corner of my screen was triggering me hard. Still expecting the sudden "wait, gotta update first" crap that ends with me suddenly having 10.

That's Windows Longhorn my nigga. He wasn't lying.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i got windows 95 because it's 85 better than windows 10

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i got windows 95 because it's 85 better than windows 10

I got ME now I'm sleepy all the time

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

monkey posted:

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Windows 10 isn't that bad. Much like a Hillary or Trump presidency won't be that bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harrower posted:

Windows 10 isn't that bad. Much like a Hillary or Trump presidency won't be that bad.

windows 10 is great

unironically
\

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

monkey posted:

If this post is a realpost, it/you made me wince

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

That's Windows Longhorn my nigga. He wasn't lying.

No, there won't be a Windows 9 or Windows 11 in honor of all the people that didn't surf down the side of the WTC. Duh.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
turbonerd

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Let me tell you about GNU/Linux

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

windows 10 is great

unironically
\

Exactly.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Windows 10 is amazing. All you nerds missed out. I love having slightly different colored windows. And the start menu tells me what temperature it is somewhere I'm not. This is the loving future and you got left behind like the Amish relic that you are.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'd consider getting it if it could play games

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

monkey posted:

Wow you sure owned that vapid slut

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Imagine yours suddenly not working

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I still can't understand the fear and loathing people have of a new version of an OS they already have. It seems p analogous to refusing to eat brussels sprouts because your mom wants you to. They're actually pretty good, just eat them already jesus

Know how I kept from getting pestered about upgrading? I upgraded immediately, the first chance I got, and now I have no complaints.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

turbonerd

Noun. Def: a nerd who generates his thinking power by spinning in his office chair rapidly.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
jokes on her, turns out i was a turbo nerd

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

I still can't understand the fear and loathing people have of a new version of an OS they already have. It seems p analogous to refusing to eat brussels sprouts because your mom wants you to. They're actually pretty good, just eat them already jesus

Know how I kept from getting pestered about upgrading? I upgraded immediately, the first chance I got, and now I have no complaints.

Microsoft, like my mom, is surely known for only wanting what's best for everyone.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
WIN 7

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

loquacius posted:

I enjoyed spending 20 minutes standing at a store counter because the register computer automatically updated itself to Win10 and the checkout software wouldn't let the clerk click on anything anymore.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Wow you sure owned that vapid slut

he should've given her a quick m'lady and- i don't even know what's real anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

loquacius posted:

upgrading to a new OS right away is like cramming brussel sprouts into your loving mouth as fast as humanly possible, often before they've even actually been harvested

it will probably be fine and you probably won't get anti-biotic resistant e. coli, but why make fun of people who don't have brain problems that compel them to do this

• Locked thread