Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I've envied DS owners for years but I've never really felt like I could afford a super expensive 3DS. it has come to my attention, however, that a 2DS with Mario Kart 7 is only like $80, and all of the original pokemon games are $10 now. i'm thinking about going out and dropping some cash on a 2DS but i was wondering what games goons would say are good so i know i'll have stuff to play for the forseeable future.

i was gonna also pick up Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and possibly a Shin Megami Tensei game, cus I've heard a lot about those but never played one

goons what do you recommend? is a 2DS worth it? thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
it's probably the greatest system I've owned in the last 10 years . there are so many good games

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

also if you're ok buying digital SMTIV regularly goes on sale for like $15 on the eshop and it's the best one

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Buy it immediately, it is also backwards compatible. Then buy a GBA SP and you'll be able to play every Nintendo handheld game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For the price of a new console and a couple games you can play 20 years of the best Nintendo has to offer, especially since there are ports or digital versions of almost every good SNES and NES game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got my sister a 2DS for Christmas in 2014 and it seems alright. but for me it's gotta be the n3DS XL.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
for the price-sensitive gamer, the 2ds is an immense value.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
if you care about super Nintendo virtual console, its only available on the new 3ds.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

For the price of a new console and a couple games you can play 20 years of the best Nintendo has to offer, especially since there are ports or digital versions of almost every good SNES and NES game.

does this include stuff like Earthbound and other awesome games I've wanted to play for ages

Hizke posted:

if you care about super Nintendo virtual console, its only available on the new 3ds.

so if i buy the 2ds I won't be able to play downloadable games? or is the virtual console specifically for ROMS and stuff? 75% of the reason I'm interested in one of these is cus i want to replay Pokemon Red

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's specifically SNES games that are n3ds only.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It's specifically SNES games that are n3ds only.

shame, there are a good number of SNES games I'd like to play, but I don't think the extra $200 is really worth it for that feature + 3d capacity

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You can still play Pokemon Red it's just the SNES downloadable games that won't work. Also Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors Legends need a New 3DS to play and Monster Hunter benefits a lot from the extra buttons/stick on the New model but other than that the 2DS can play everything fine. I love my New 3DS XL but if you're gaming on a budget a 2DS is a sick deal and you won't regret it

edit: yeah for the difference in price you could pick up enough good games to last you a year

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

You can still play Pokemon Red it's just the SNES downloadable games that won't work. Also Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors Legends need a New 3DS to play and Monster Hunter benefits a lot from the extra buttons/stick on the New model but other than that the 2DS can play everything fine. I love my New 3DS XL but if you're gaming on a budget a 2DS is a sick deal and you won't regret it

edit: yeah for the difference in price you could pick up enough good games to last you a year

word, yeah, I'm not interested in either of those games so I'll be happy with the 2DS i think

how is this Yo-Kai watch game? seems like the best way to buy a 2DS is in a bundle, and the two $80 bundles are Yokai whatever and Mario Kart 7. I like Mario Kart, but only when I do rad MP sessions with my friends in the original one, so I'm not sure I'd get much mileage out of it alone

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Frog Act posted:

shame, there are a good number of SNES games I'd like to play, but I don't think the extra $200 is really worth it for that feature + 3d capacity

it's a $120 difference, but $80 for something that can play the entire DS library and almost all of the 3DS library is a steal. the bigger screens and clamshell design make the n3DS worth it to me, though I did play xenoblade on it and I play tons of monster hunter.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

yokai watch looks fun cute but i haven't played it yet myself. it's a jrpg from level-5 who made dragon quest 8 and some other good jrpgs so it's probably pretty decent

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

it's a $120 difference, but $80 for something that can play the entire DS library and almost all of the 3DS library is a steal. the bigger screens and clamshell design make the n3DS worth it to me, though I did play xenoblade on it and I play tons of monster hunter.

i want the cute small n3ds with the super famicom buttons but now it's out of stock everywhere and costs 250 on ebay fuuu

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so if i were to pick up a game with this bundle, what game would you guys recommend? preferably one in the ~$15-$20 range

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If you're in North America, Shin Megami Tensei IV is on sale for $15 on the eshop until August 8. It's a masterpiece.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Frog Act posted:

so if i were to pick up a game with this bundle, what game would you guys recommend? preferably one in the ~$15-$20 range

nintendl does sales pretty oftn, check whats on the eshop when itg ets there. otherwise theatrhythm curtain call or rhythm heaven IMO ify ou're looking for something cheap you cn play forever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Anything from the Gamer's Choice or whatever they called it series.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

If you're in North America, Shin Megami Tensei IV is on sale for $15 on the eshop until August 8. It's a masterpiece.

aonly thng is that apocalypse comes out in like a month, and looks fuckin way cool so it mght be better to wait

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so i should hold off on getting anything at gamestop and just go home and check the eshop is what i'm hearing

ed: in order to enojy smt IV do i have to play the first 3? thats what i figured so i was looking into getting the remastered 1st one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's no running story or anything but it helps to have played previous games just from an experience standpoint.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Frog Act posted:

smt iv
etrian odyessy iv if want more jrpgs
pheonix wright games if u want to read
donkey kong country returns
mario 3d land

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh yeah ocarina of time 3ds majoras mask 3ds and link between worlds are good. link between worlds is the best zelda game in a million years

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Box Boy is a fun platform puzzle game for five bucks

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Playing smtiv first is fine imo. If you like it definitely play the PS2 press turn triple threat, SMT3, Digital Devil Saga and Digital Devil Saga 2. If you have a PS2/3 that is.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 1, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably gonna be a while before it goes on sale but fire emblem conquest is one of the best SRPGs I ever played

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Awesome. Gonna check my bank account and if I'm not dead broke, gonna go to a GameStop a few miles away and get the yo Kai bundle. Are there any like, absolutely 100% necessary accessories? I don't usually drop things or whatever so a case won't be needed

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey op o highly recommend going on eBay to get yours. Nintendo directly sells refurbished 2ds for like under fifty dollars there and I've gotten mine from that.

Came with a charger too

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I bought a refurb 3dsxl for $115 with super Mario 3D land for an extra $15 just last week op. Should be arriving today.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

chck amazon bundles too, ig ot a dream team 3ds for like 100 last year. itw as actually cheapr than a normal 3ds lol

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i love my 3dsxl to death.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
op i bought a brand new n3dsxl from craigslist for $100. the lady who sold it said she waa gonna spend the.money at a hair salon immediately haha

you might find a fortunate deal with some searchibg. n3dsxl doesnt come with a charger though so thats probably like $15 on top.

good luck

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

some one give me the happy home designer n3ds for free

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the 3dsxl is really good. the n3ds is really good and makes the 3d actually good, and has some capabilities w/ modding that the normal 3ds doesn't

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

well i could've waited and ordered a better bundle or something but i wanted to go physically acquire a system since buying a console is a blast from the past for me. went and got the red 2DS Yo-Kai Watch bundle with a used Ocarina of Time cart. probably gonna buy Pokemon Red in a few minutes here, check out the e-store

i haven't owned a handheld since i got a GBA color in the late 90s so i'm pretty stoked here

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

congratulations on the gaming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

i haven't owned a handheld since i got a GBA color in the late 90s so i'm pretty stoked here

you've got a lot of sick gaming ahead of you enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also they did some modifications to the RBY roms to let you trade gen 1 Pokemon into sun/moon that's coming out later

• Locked thread