Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grand Prize Winner posted:

English name question: I know there used to be a lot of towns with streets like Gropecunte Alley and so forth, but did any people end up with names related to their not-socially-acceptable trades? Like, is there today one James Whoremonger living a quiet life in Hamfast or something?

There was a dude in my German language class who made the teacher do a :catstare: doubletake reading the roll, his surname was Foltermann.

Torture-man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Agean90 posted:

Does your war have proto-communists? No? Well then your early modern war ain't poo poo

Go Hussites :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

my dad posted:

Holy poo poo, loophole 14... :stare:

:laffo:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"All right you assholes, listen up! We got new orders from Division, no sniping field-grades *period*. Seems if we do it, those guys will as well and our REMFs ain't happy being team target.

"This means *you*, Wisbouwski! Yeah, I've seen your artwork of the Colonel with the bullseye on his crotch, you're lucky he hasn't else you'd be out there clearing mines with your tongue..."

If we kill the French leadership, they might get replacements that aren't garbage. :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

when QE 1 said she had the heart and stomach of a king of england, did she mean on her desk

And the wingspan of an albatross!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

If I recall correctly it was used to help put out fires in Iraq during the first Gulf War. The idea being that it would literally blow out the flames, I think? I dunno, I'm not a fire-ologist.

Pyrologist?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ithle01 posted:

Maintaining the prestige of the Spanish crown is a very real issue for these monarchs and apparently it is worth spending yourself into bankruptcy multiple times. As for the cash from the New World that did gently caress up the crown's finances, but not in the way people generally assume. The Spanish crown was able to leverage the expected silver coming in as collateral to borrow money with the predictable result that they eventually were spending more financing their debt then they were making every year.

As an aside, Tallahassee actually has a really good state history museum with a whole room devoted to Spanish silver coinage.

Most of the explanatory plaques end with "and then the guy with the crown monopoly on the mint was executed for embezzling". :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

That's not exactly what I said. I dont know where or when the idea originates, but it is true we don't have evidence that they were used to break up formations. That said, I also don't think they existed only to defend the flag. I say this in part because halberds served the same role but we always see a few of them at the front of a formation in, say, the Luzerner Chronik. I also have seen two-handed swords at the front in artwork, namely Holbein's Bad War.

As to the imgur thing, it gets one or two other important things wrong beyond what hegel has highlighted. Doppelsoldners were not those who used two-handed swords but were those who stood at the front of a formation. I also have serious doubts about the two-handed sword pictured throughout being a fighting rather than parade sword (or rather, the sword that reproduction is based on). Swords with heavily decorated hilts like that (and especially the elaborate crossguard) are the first thing people think of as a zweihander because so many have survived. However, I have seen no imagery, either from fechtbuchs or 16th century art, to suggest that type of sword was used martially. You see some similar examples in the Landeszeughaus in Graz, but these already are past the peak of the two-handed sword's usage, and are less elaborate besides.

I'm getting a lot of my information from Daniel Staberg's well-sourced post here: http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21519&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Regarding two-handed swords I have seen, they either look like super-sized katzbalgers (like in this Urs Graf image) or as regular swords, sometimes with side-rings as in Di Grassi or the Goliath Fechtbuch

In conclusion:

My money verwhats?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If only Cesare Borgia hadn't gotten the flu executed by the greatest Pope in history until Frank II.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

my dad posted:

Huh. If that's how it works, I wonder who stole ours.

Poland sacrificed theirs to try and spell a Slavic language in the good Catholic alphabet rather than the borderline heretical Orthodox one. :v:

My favorite Polish word is probably zdzbla. Except there are also accents on three letters.

It means a blade of grass. Multiple blades are zdzbli.

Edit: pronounced, uh,
Z
J as in jerk
B
Wah.

Also I guess this means there are only accents on two letters, I am out of practice.

And in my terrible accent it comes out more like izz-jib-wah, for three actual syllables. :saddowns: I do not have the moral character to do Polish good.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 19, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Untrue on pretty much all counts.

First: when Poland adopted Catholicism in mid-10th century1, nobody really concerned themselves with what alphabet they're going to use to write in Polish, since no-one had plans to do that yet. The first written record of the Polish language comes in 1136 when the papal Bull of Gniezno (Ex commisso nobis a Deo) lists a number of names of people and places in Poland in Polish. Now, the claim that any alphabet "reads as it is written and is written the way it is heard" is false on linguistic grounds, and while it has to be said that some alphabets are probably closer to that ideal than others (e.g. the Latin alphabet tends to be far off since it has originally been designed for, well, Latin), the Cyrilic script was created in the 9th century by a Greek to reflect a Slavic dialect from the Saloniki area. Assuming it would be any accurate for, say, Polish phonology of the 12th century would be wrong.

Second: we can track the development of Polish orthography throughout the centuries with little difficulty, and we can see that many attempts have been made to integrate Polish phonology more completely into the Latin alphabet, and they devote plenty of attention to the matter of vowels as well. However, by the 16th century Polish pretty much discards the entire phenomenon of vowel length, with some former long vowels reducing to their short versions (e.g. a: -> a) and others even completely changing their pronunciation (e.g. o: -> u, although it did go through some intermediate stages), rendering most of those attempts moot. So, the reason most Polish vowels disappeared was because nobody could be arsed to bother with the "long vowel" bullshit.

Third: if we only count the vowels which appear as discrete graphic signs, Poland still has a leg up on English because of the nasalized vowels ą and ę (yes it is cheating).

Fourth: Polish appears to have very few vowels relative to consonants due to using "z" for most digraphs, but this is only a visual thing.

Fifth: it's actually źdźbło (sing.) and źdźbła (pl.).

1I shall disregard the Lechite Empire hypothesis and the "My wooden plank proves they didn't!!!" hypothesis for the purposes of this post.

:saddowns: How did I gently caress up my favorite word?

Seriously, good post.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

the strategic vision of Patton, the geopolitical deft touch of MacArthur, the humility of Montgomery, the ethics of Zhukov, and the competence of Chaing Kai-Sek

Was Chiang Kai-Shek incompetent? I always rather got the impression that he did pretty well for the burning tire fire he had to work with.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought his name was Moammar Al-Gathafi.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

"Lost surprise attack against unarmed merchant ship by shooting self in own periscope with torpedo" has to be the most embarrassing way to die to be honest.

Only because the Toilet Incident didn't kill anybody. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

I know I read a good article about this, I'll go see if I can dig it up. Here's what I remember in the meantime.

The biggest problem with the A-10 is that while it was very well designed for its intended role as a ground attack aircraft in a much less electronically advanced/connected age (specifically putting big holes in Soviet tanks trying to force the Fulda Gap during the 70's/80's), nowadays it's too big and slow to survive a modern battlefield. It's still great at doing gun runs against insurgents with nothing better than AK's and the odd Stinger, but if there was ever a hot war against another major power the A-10 would get knocked out of the sky by mobile AA/modern MANPADS faster than you can say "Oh Christ this thing has a radar cross section bigger than Australia".

On the plus side, a very high proportion of modern action is against exactly those insurgents, so there is totally a place for the durdly old Warthog in the fleet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

You need physical strength to be a loader.

Based on my experience, half the company will camp base and the other half will drive into the lake.

There's a Current Syrian Events joke somewhere here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

cryptojews = hidden jews? I'm thinking cryptozoology here

Jews practicing taqiyya pretending to be Christian so they wouldn't get pogromed by [local citizenry].

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Hey thread, my dad visited Bratislava, Prague, and Vienna this year, and I wanted to get him some books on that general part of Europe for Christmas since he came back with a bunch of questions. Any good recs for the HRE or the Hapsburgs?

Danubia and Germania by Simon Winder are both fantastic, assuming threadposters don't immediately beat me to death for inaccuracies of which I am unaware.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Note to self: never, ever board a Swedish flagship.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Morholt posted:

Exception: Charles Gustav, King of Sweden and Count Palatine of Zweibrücken-Kleeburg, who is sometimes referred to in Sweden as simply "the Count Palatine" when discussing him before he became King. I was confused by this for the longest time.

edit: Also kings Charles X, XI, XII and queen Ulrika Eleonora are called the "Palatine dynasty". This has been the milhist thread's mandated Swedish history quota for this page.

Clearly this creates a justification for Pfalz to invade and conquer your asses for trademark infringement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Plutonis posted:

They had been doing it before becoming an Empire and the Devshirme system had religious overtones as well as state necessity (keep too many Christians from outnumbering Muslims)

The Devshirme in particular was kind of weird as slave systems go, because you were basically a conscripted civil servant or soldier who wasn't allowed to quit until retirement.

Especially if you rose to the very top of the system, whereupon you were a slave who was owned by the institution you were in charge of.

Edit:

ArchangeI posted:

I would argue that the system you described was not racial in nature but entirely based on religion. It only turned into modern racism when people who converted from one faith to another (usually from Judaism or Islam to Christianity) were still treated like members of their old faith. This was actually a source of conflict between the Church, which held that all Christians were equal, and the local elites, who were quite insistent that some Christians were more equal than others.

Which in turn was in part an outgrowth of the fight between the conversion imperative and the profit imperative. The early Spanish Empire had a good few rich people get very, very angry that the dang Church was converting their chattel and therefore turning them into real actual people. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

MrBling posted:

To touch back briefly on slavery, I don't know if this happened anywhere else but the Danish government had to pay the plantation owners in the Danish West Indies when they outlawed slavery in 1848 (The actual slave trade was ended in 1802 but it took a little longer to actually abolish slavery). Because there was no specific laws regarding slaves the owners ended up being paid (supposedly) $50 for each slave they had to cover the financial loss of having to actually pay their workers.

For the slaves not a lot actually changed since they were all Africans stuck on a couple of Caribbean islands, so pretty much all of them ended up still working for their previous masters except now they were sharecroppers and the owners no longer had to provide food for them.

I didn't even know there WAS a Danish West Indies.

loving Vikings making everything weird.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

P-Mack posted:

I'll take your Danish West Indies and raise you Courland's colonization of Tobago.

I know about that one but only because a chunk of my ancestors were smug wealthy German Kurlanders. :v:

Relatedly, guess my favorite underappreciated Russian Empress

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Squalid posted:

One of my ancestors who owned a plantation in Arkansas was crippled and shortly died in 1865 after being assaulted by a criminal gang trying to extort money out of him, money which the war had made disappear. Family legend is that while they hung him by the neck and were demanding the location where he buried his (nonexistent) money, his newly freed slave came around with a shotgun and chased them off.

Only because if he'd told them where it was buried the ex-slave wouldn't have gotten his modest cut. :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

late medieval/early early modern supercannons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergun#Blackpowder_age

I've always had a certain fondness for that one Italian mad engineer's contribution to the fall of Constantinople.

"Hello, Mr Sultan! The Christians decided not to purchase my preposterous omega-mortar, would you like to?"

edit: he's in the article and also Hungarian :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

spades... already existed.

citation needed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

How did Gerald Ford not only get a supercarrier named after him but the whole class? I know he was in the navy but c'mon, it's Gerald Ford.

And the most recent Iran/Iraq war post mentioned Operation Ramadan which led me to wonder what Muslim military forces do during Ramadan during an active war. Is there an exception in the Quran or is there one made later? Having active combat units not really eating until sunset seems suspect. I assume it varies by country and time period too.

There are common sense exceptions. People who would suffer negative health effects or serve a vital purpose and need to keep their strength up.

Soldiers are both categories, really :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hermsgervørden posted:

If I had to asphyxiate on a gas, I would deffo choose Nitrous Oxide. Knowing nothing at all about this, I wonder if that's ever been tried as a chemical weapon?

It's lighter than air.

This is not an optimal characteristic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BattleMoose posted:

Also, I looked up how many boots the USSR got during lend lease, 5.4 million boots! Also I happened upon this, complete list of lend lease, hope its legit.
http://www.jrbooksonline.com/fdr-scandal-page/lend.html

Oh man, the author of that source was a literal no-poo poo "water fluoridation is a commie plot!" guy. :haw:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Racey_Jordan

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

How *would* you best sabotage a fighter jet?

Asking for a friend.

Build the runway out of substandard concrete that spells easily. :getin:

It's like the screws idea but keeps on giving!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Alchenar posted:

They're either a long list of 'imperialism is bad' or 'eh, colonists bring with them the same cultural respect for institutions'

Or in Sri Lanka's case, kinda both! :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

lol every loser who writes time travel books where they single handedly go back and remake the medieval world in their image would have the poo poo kicked out of them

Fortuitously this is ultimately what happens in Mark Twain's!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Stuck in development hell where it belongs, but it might get released as some kind of low budget romantic comedy after about fifteen years worth of rewrites.

Sending an American back in time to Europe was the plot of the very first alternate history novel anyway, and if it has to be done again I'd rather just see a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The satire still holds up, and bitter, misanthropic Mark Twain is the best Mark Twain.

Although I'm not sure if something like this would translate to film.

Possibly my favorite thing about Mr Clemens was his love-hate relationship with German.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Draaaagoooooooooooooooooooooons!

The last great horse-rider event in conventional warfare of which I am aware was a bunch of Polish dragoons with a couple antitank weapons loving up a German mechanized infantry column. :poland:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Merkel sounds a little too British to me...

And have you seen her steeple her fingers? Classic British Imperial supervillain gesture.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crossposting from TFR as I figure some people here will be interested. I think TFR just bought 25 of the things in the past hour.

They're almost out, thanks goons.

Someone should drop them a line so they can start an SAMart thread :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ithle01 posted:

I feel like we're getting off base here and I do agree with you that there were cultural differences towards conquest and colonization that affected the way the Chinese expanded versus how Europeans did. The Ming didn't expand into Taiwan because they didn't think it was profitable to do so, but they did expand to the South and exert influence over large areas of Central Asia for security. The Ming authorities were by and large unconcerned with the economic potential of trade with their neighbors for some reason though.The thing that's weird is that they had no problem pushing South with resettlement, but were vehemently opposed to the idea of contact with Japan or their Northern neighbors until it was forced on them even if the trade could be beneficial. I remember reading that there were two camps of scholars trying to influence the crown s stance toward the North, one faction wanted a giant wall and no contact while the other faction wanted trade so it could play the tribes off against each other while making a profit.

I would guess the big difference between Europe and China is that Europe has discrete regions with defensible borders which makes overseas expansion seem more profitable.

edit: didn't the Song court also end up in exile in Taiwan or am I getting it confused with another island?

They wound up in modern Hong Kong, actually. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

my dad posted:

"In short, as the owner/operator of both a dick and a set of (admittedly male) nipples I'm not entirely sure that Suetonius is writing about impossibilities here. "

:v:

One of my favorites in forums history.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

spectralent posted:

So, a lot of recent CK2 playing has made me think of the Romans and the ERE and it's slow decline. I'm mostly wondering when, militarily, the Romans lost their edge. When I covered ancient history, I was taught that Romans had warfare loving down to an extent nobody else did, and had an understanding of logistics and tactics at least decades better than the nearest alternatives. I think even pretty recently I've read about how the Romans would plough through france and germany taking thousands of dead and wounded for a hundred or so casualties on their end. So, when did that erode, and why, if I'm right at all?

waiiit waiiit, so, the middle east was rendered into a backwater by mongol looting? Does this kind of answer the "why europe" thing I asked earlier, and the middle east had all it's infrastructural progress reset by thousands of angry horsemen?

It was a preposterously gigantic factor. One could make a solid argument that some of the other factors related to subsequent conflict and failure to develop more stable (non-Ottoman :turkey: ) institutions were, you know, a direct result of all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What was the last battlefield casualty due to an arrow shot from a bow?

If we discount poo poo like the Andamans, Kenya in the late 00s saw some disputes where poor rurals broke out the huntin' bows for a post-election mini-civil-war.