Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if the earth is flat i can snipe anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Linux Pirate posted:

lol

because we all know light just stops at a certain point when shining on a flat disk

spotlight sun

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I tried to watch this poo poo, and at first I was giving the dude benefit of the doubt. Like maybe somehow Jacko jumped around on a flat earth depiction and somehow that was mockery? I don't know but I didn't think just showing the Earth as a sphere is mockery

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

Also how do they explain the change in seasons?

From what I've seen on the Before it's News poo poo, most of them will just react with "Heh, it's so SIMPLE, a toddler can reason with this." And then do something like show a graph of a parabola with un-named axis (or like the Y axis will just be labelled with a 'delta' symbol or something).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Linux Pirate posted:

lol

because we all know light just stops at a certain point when shining on a flat disk

That video I posted tries to explain it - the Sun is actually quite small, just like a lightglobe in your house. And that lightglobe doesn't light up your entire neighbourhood, does it? Just the same as the sun doesn't light up the entire earth at once. It all makes perfect sense!!!

I genuinely can't tell whether the Flat Earth videos and sites are longcon trolls or 100% serious, there's some wicked Poe's Law going on there

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That video I posted tries to explain it - the Sun is actually quite small, just like a lightglobe in your house. And that lightglobe doesn't light up your entire neighbourhood, does it? Just the same as the sun doesn't light up the entire earth at once. It all makes perfect sense!!!

I genuinely can't tell whether the Flat Earth videos and sites are longcon trolls or 100% serious, there's some wicked Poe's Law going on there

most videos i've seen are obvious trolls and are raking in some decent youtube bucks with it, im sure

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Linux Pirate posted:

Also how do they explain the change in seasons?

The disk spins.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

exclusive NASA footage of earth from the Hubble telescope:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

naem
May 29, 2011

Zorodius posted:

the earth is shaped like a bitch

I cnat stop stabbeng

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

criscodisco posted:

The disk spins.

Wait, so it's a disc, with a finite amount of land and oceans and poo poo, but it doesn't have an edge?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Friginator posted:

Wait, so it's a disc, with a finite amount of land and oceans and poo poo, but it doesn't have an edge?

it does but it's like a Möbius strip obv

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

wow lots of goons can't understand simple non euclidean geometry

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Blue Train posted:

it does but it's like a Möbius strip obv

Well, it's not much of a loving disc at this point, is it?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
More like a pizza dough, slightly raised at the edge to keep the oceans from pouring off the edge.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what if reality is just a pizza dough and we're all just little microbes on the sausages and stuff :eyepop:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

what if reality is just a pizza dough and we're all just little microbes on the sausages and stuff :eyepop:

Huh....huh huh huh....HA HAHAHHAHAHHAHHA AHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH.

I am the forbidden fruit.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Blue Train posted:

exclusive NASA footage of earth from the Hubble telescope:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://youtu.be/8ItXCzyUt-A ???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Friginator posted:

Antarctica is the edge. The "South pole" isn't a pole, it's the circumference of the Earth!

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
So what's keeping people from going over the edge? I mean, like if they wanted to?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Friginator posted:

So what's keeping people from going over the edge? I mean, like if they wanted to?

gravity. most of the mass is in the middle (north pole).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Friginator posted:

Penguins, man. Fuckin' penguins.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Then how to people go to the South Pole? God, at this point in the theory you might as well abandon the physics of it all and just go full-Matrix and claim "It doesn't HAVE to make sense! It's all a big, wacky simulation!".

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the earth is flat because it comes closest to being flat, like one guy said earlier; it does look flat

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Friginator posted:

Then how to people go to the South Pole? God, at this point in the theory you might as well abandon the physics of it all and just go full-Matrix and claim "It doesn't HAVE to make sense! It's all a big, wacky simulation!".

This is what Elon Musk actually believes.

Antarctica is the edge. The "South pole" isn't a pole, it's the circumference of the Earth!

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitude
Nothing remains out in space.
With all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

Penguins, man. Fuckin' penguins.

And thank you for this.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Friginator posted:

umm maybe if you looked at the diagram you would see that space borders the south pole. Do you know how loving cold space is?? As you get closer and closer to the edge it gets colder and colder!!

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Friginator posted:

all of the governments of the world have declared antartica off limits

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

buncha sheeple in ITT being controlled by the global Illuminati. Open your eyes! Try going to Antarctica yourself and walking "south" lmbo

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
the scrolls hold the answer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Friginator posted:

The entire world is surrounded by giant impassable ice cliffs. The UN have established a no fly/no sail zone and won't let the public close enough to investigate them. :tinfoil:

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/06/south-pole-does-not-exist.html

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Just try to get a direct flight from Australia to South Africa.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
the earth is like a pizza

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

this means antarctica has a perimeter about 20 times the north-south expanse of the americas

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

VectorSigma posted:

this means antarctica has a perimeter about 20 times the north-south expanse of the americas

like the crust of a pizza, all this time we've been learning about our own world just by learn gin to eat a pizza, or a pie, or a taco

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Luvcow posted:

like the crust of a pizza, all this time we've been learning about our own world just by learn gin to eat a pizza, or a pie, or a taco

Or an open faced quesadilla.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

VendaGoat posted:

Or an open faced quesadilla.

*taps pipe on table* indeed... indeed.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
If the earth is flat, what is the purpose of the conspiracy to make everyone believe it's round? Sell more globes?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Borrowed Ladder posted:

If the earth is flat, what is the purpose of the conspiracy to make everyone believe it's round? Sell more globes?

have you never eaten a pizza?

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
"The Earth is so mutha fuckin' flat, if you walked too far in one direction, you'd fuckin' fall off the poo poo!" exclaims Eddie Murphy.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Borrowed Ladder posted:

So that no one goes looking for the disk shaped earths under this one. They're layered like a Crunchwrap Supreme, and the one under us is where the lizard people live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
All of this flat Earth theory is nonsense of course. Geocentric theory on the other hand has some real merit.

• Locked thread